• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
With the time and work sakurai and team put into snake, it would be strange if he didnt try to get him in. And we now know that kojima is completely open to him returning, so theres really nothing keeping him out unless the nintendo higher ups try to strong arm him or something we can see behind doors.
If anybody could find SSB4's US Serial Number I can find licensing information related to it on tsdr.uspto.gov.

It is a Governmental Documented website that publicly displays Trademark Status, Document Status, Patents and other legal stuff.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
If we're going to talk about "repping the franchise better by adding a second cute Pokemon", then maybe adding a Legendary Pokemon would represent the franchise better :troll:
Seriously, though, I doubt Sakurai says "I'll add Jigglypuff so Pikachu won't be so lonely as the only cute Pokemon rep". Jigglypuff is probably in smash because of how easy she is to program.
Did I say that's the reason for her inclusion? Must have missed that.

Everything I said was my personal view.

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
Do you guys think the games will have separate starting rosters? If the covers are anything to go by. I feel there will be a core starting roster on both, some system exclusive starters (unlockable on the other), and hopefilly a fair amount of completely secret characters.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Do you guys think the games will have separate starting rosters? If the covers are anything to go by. I feel there will be a core starting roster on both, some system exclusive starters (unlockable on the other), and hopefilly a fair amount of completely secret characters.
I'm going to guess that they'll have the same. I'm hoping that the starting roster will just contain the "necessities" of Smash.
I love unlocking characters.

Last edited:

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
I'm going to guess that they'll have the same. I'm hoping that the starting roster will just contain the "necessities" of Smash.
I love unlocking characters.
I would love to see a PotD over the Challenger Approaching screen. Even if it's a character we've already seen.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Did I say that's the reason for her inclusion? Must have missed that.

Everything I said was my personal view.
I know, I'm just saying I doubt Sakurai has the same view. Same goes for when people talk about patterns and such. It's all cool. If we don't have opinions we might as well not speculate at all.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
So... hidden characters, eh? They should stay, but in a different way. You can't unlock a character by Versus mode only, but other things regarding their series or events based off their series. So, for example, Luigi is unlocked by beating Classic Mode with Mario on Medium difficulty or higher, or Toon Link is unlocked by playing on the Toon stage for each version twenty times. But it can't be something system-exclusive, either. It should be something you can do on both versions.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
So... hidden characters, eh? They should stay, but in a different way. You can't unlock a character by Versus mode only, but other things regarding their series or events based off their series. So, for example, Luigi is unlocked by beating Classic Mode with Mario on Medium difficulty or higher, or Toon Link is unlocked by playing on the Toon stage for each version twenty times. But it can't be something system-exclusive, either. It should be something you can do on both versions.
As long as there are multiple ways of unlocking characters that take a variety of skill to complete then I am all down for it.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'd just like to warn everybody that a user known as edlocke is going around trolling a bunch of threads so if you see him say something hurtful report and ignore him.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I'd just like to warn everybody that a user known as edlocke is going around trolling a bunch of threads so if you see him say something hurtful report and ignore him.
I wouldn't suggest that we do that. Counter trolling is still trolling, apparently.

Why can't we unlock them by playing Versus mode? That would be a huge turnoff for people who don't like the Single-Player mode and actually have friends.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I wouldn't suggest that we do that. Counter trolling is still trolling, apparently.

Why can't we unlock them by playing Versus mode? That would be a huge turnoff for people who don't like the Single-Player mode and actually have friends.
I'm sorry let me rephrase that if you see him say something hurtful about your character, or towards you, report then ignore him.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I think you completely misinterpreted what he said. He meant "If you see him say something hurtful then you should report and ignore him."
...OH. Never mind then.

I read, "If you see him, say something hurtful, report, and ignore him".
This is what commas are for. XP

Regardless, that conversation is for when it actually happens.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Slightly off-topic, but that misunderstanding was hilarious. :laugh:

Just remember to let the mods know if someone acts up using the friendly report button. Don't tag every single mod you know. :p

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Saw this today, got sad.

I wish he wouldn't have been confirmed as a Pokeball so quickly. I wanted to see how big his fanbase could grow. *grumbles* Sceptile is only popular bc MUH TRIO.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Personally, I don't care about Deoxys not being playable.

Greninja ended up surprisingly being someone I ended up liking and thinking "Yeah he's cool. Grossest scarf I have seen, but still pretty cool."

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings

"H-he has absolutely no problem fitting in!" - Sakurai

Never forget. :<

Nah, I agree though. Isaac and Mac seem to be some of the ATs who may have of the best chances of becoming playable (and they're popular requests too)... err well, Mac's already in so... But I didn't expect Saki to have a great chance of becoming playable, or any other S&P character for the matter. It was kinda like on the off chance type thing. But Saki being deconfirmed hurt me more than I thought it would.
I'm just disappointed that there won't be any "gun-kata" style involved, like say Noel from BlazBlue.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I'm just disappointed that there won't be any "gun-kata" style involved, like say Noel from BlazBlue.
His gameplay would have been really unique too. That Cannon Sword is a pretty sexy weapon, and I feel as though Saki would have made an agile character as well (I mean, there's so much roll dodging and doing flips in S&P, you can utilize the rolls in different ways).

But yeah, Cannon Swords are a unique weapon that I would love to see used in Smash (as in, playable character. Full potential, yo! Also one of the main reasons why I would love to see Saki/Isa).

Speaking about guns, Mii Gunner would have been a lot cooler if the drop the arm cannon archetype and dual wield two futuristic guns instead for me. It's a bit more unique imo, but oh well.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Shhhhh! The smash fanbase already has enough 'logic' to discount perfectly good characters to begin with.
Your Favorite Character isn't allowed to be on the roster because it's not new enough to represent some obtuse fanmade criteria I'm making up, and comes from a franchise that your grandmother doesn't know about.

Sorry that the truth hurts, but hey you'll learn to love Dr. Kawashima.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Your Favorite Character isn't allowed to be on the roster because it's not new enough to represent some obtuse fanmade criteria I'm making up, and comes from a franchise that your grandmother doesn't know about.

Sorry that the truth hurts, but hey you'll learn to love Dr. Kawashima.
Please don't bring that up again...

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Mewtwo has more hurdles to go over in order to return than Jiggs who simply has to transition from Brawl to Smash 4, and Jiggs is certainly the easier character to make too. To me it's not a question whether it's Mewtwo or Puff, it's a question whether we'll get 6 Pokémon reps or not, if we don't then Mewtwo is going to be DLC at best.

That's like saying an AT should dictate a character spot. Even then there are more big badass 'mons in the Pokéballs than cute ones.
I'm just pointing out how the cute mons aren't under represented.

D

Deleted member

On the subject of ATs, why in the world did they bring back the Hammer Bro? That's easily one of the worst ATs ever created.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
On the subject of ATs, why in the world did they bring back the Hammer Bro? That's easily one of the worst ATs ever created.
Sakurai said they're trying to add in as many as possible, so the Brawl ones are easy to bring over. As Eggman would say, the more the merrier.

D

Deleted member

Sakurai said they're trying to add in as many as possible, so the Brawl ones are easy to bring over. As Eggman would say, the more the merrier.
But if he's trying to get most/all of the Brawl ones, that can only mean...

HELIRIN! The holy grail of worthless assist trophies!!

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Saw this today, got sad.

I wish he wouldn't have been confirmed as a Pokeball so quickly. I wanted to see how big his fanbase could grow. *grumbles* Sceptile is only popular bc MUH TRIO.
I've always wanted Deoxys in Smash. He's definitely my favorite legendary, and his moveset would be amazing.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Just a quick reminder that anything specifically relating to Assist Trophies should go to the Assist Trophy thread.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I feel Roster discussion has gotten generic and boring since everyone believes in the leak.

it's all like

"I think Isaac will be in!"
"NO we will already have Shulk and Chrom 100% Guarunteed so there's no chance of Issac!"

Maybe I'm just upset with if the roster was just all the current newcomers, Brawl vets, Mewtwo and the leaked characters.
That's coming from someone who wanted Marshal before the leak came out.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I feel Roster discussion has gotten generic and boring since everyone believes in the leak.

it's all like

"NO we will already have Shulk and Chrom 100% Guarunteed so there's no chance of Issac!"

Maybe I'm just upset with if the roster was just all the current newcomers, Brawl vets, Mewtwo and the leaked characters.
Hey, we still got Vaati to look forward to. :awesome:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
It was definitely awful in Brawl, but in SSB4 it seems to have been improved somewhat. Now it can move around the stage without sitting in one spot.

it's all like

I agree. The only thing that could possibly make discussion of the leak stop, if only for a little while, is the confirmation of a newcomer that wasn't leaked by Gematsu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom