• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I can't really explain WHY Snake would be cut.

It just seems very likely at this point.

I would say that he doesn't have a long history with Nintendo but whatever he had was enough to get him into Brawl.

Maybe Kojima didn't ask Sakurai to add Snake this time? I don't know.

Drexel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valk54
3DS FC
4527-9856-8570
I'll admit; while I want to see Wario return, it would kind of be a downer if he was. We all know he's in the game, so his reveal wouldn't be that amazing, except that we now have his official render to do stuff with. Now, something like a previously hidden veteran or Lucas would be a great reveal.
Wario is kind of on the bubble for me, but I would like to see Lucas come back. However, I think Ness would come first since he has been with SSB longer and, although I know close to nothing about the Mother/Earthbound games I think he's the main character in that series if I'm correct.

D

Deleted member

Wario is kind of on the bubble for me, but I would like to see Lucas come back. However, I think Ness would come first since he has been with SSB longer and, although I know close to nothing about the Mother/Earthbound games I think he's the main character in that series if I'm correct.
EarthBound has no main character. All 3 games have different protagonists/settings with only lose connections tying them together. Ness is the most well known protagonist because of his involvement in Smash Bros.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So, if I may start up a new line of discussion, we've recently talked about how it's possible for Jigglypuff and Mewtwo to both be playable in this installment of Smash. But in the unfortunate event that only one makes it in, which one is more likely to make the cut: the longtime Smash tradition, Jigglypuff, or the insanely popular and prominent Mewtwo?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
So, if I may start up a new line of discussion, we've recently talked about how it's possible for Jigglypuff and Mewtwo to both be playable in this installment of Smash. But in the unfortunate event that only one makes it in, which one is more likely to make the cut: the longtime Smash tradition, Jigglypuff, or the insanely popular and prominent Mewtwo?
My heart says Mewtwo but my conscience says Jiggs.

Mewtwo has been planned for every game, and is currently very relevant. He's the most popular Smash candidate worldwide and Sakurai is considering including his Mega Evolution in the game somewhere. How could you have the Mega without Mewtwo?

Jigglypuff on the other hand is part of the Original 12, and is a Smash staple. Removing Jigglypuff just wouldn't feel right, but with the supposed debate between Ness and Lucas's inclusion, I guess the O12 isn't as safe as I thought.

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
i would say mewtwo would make it jiggly wouldn't becuse we have heard a debate of how a o12 could be cut (ness) and her not have relevance while mewtwo is requested and relevant
edit ninjaed by louie

Last edited:

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Jigglypuff would be more likely by far. Seniority, please.

D

Deleted member

EarthBound has no main character. All 3 games have different protagonists/settings with only lose connections tying them together. Ness is the most well known protagonist because of his involvement in Smash Bros.
Well, to be fair, Ness is the only protagonist of the series who has seen the light of day outside of Japan. Of course not counting Lucas being in brawl. So that, along with his involvement in Smash, is what gets him to be the face of the series, but you are right.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Jigglypuff seems more likely.
But Sakurai has stated that she is a very easy character to program.
Meaning if Sakurai is planning on having Mewtwo in Jigglypuff wouldn't affect his chances at all.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Mewtwo.

Seniority doesn't mean anything if the Gematsu leak is to be believed, a Ness/Lucas debate shouldn't even exist if that were the case. And that's Ness and Lucas, Jigglypuff and Mewtwo is a much easier choice if seniority is taken out of the picture.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Snake being cut would hurt me so bad. That's only (possible) way you could get me pissed about this game.

The guy is a legend from a series that did so much to the industry and is still going strong. (Which is more than I could say to the other 3rd party characters) Metal Gear Solid is a fantastic, influential series with a lot of depth and attention to detail you'll likely never see in any game. It's crazy, zany and random but that's what's makes it so good. It's the ridiculous nature of it that made Snake fit in so well with the cast. The codec conversation you saw in Brawl? They're not completely out there because those kinds of conversations is commonplace in the series. It's easily something you can imagine hearing in the game. I'm not gonna even talk about how cleverly designed his moveset was. (Minus the...broken stuff.)

The biggest hurdle to Snake's inclusion is that he's a third party character. Legal negotiations have to be made, and it's all up to Nintendo whether they agree or don't.

Last edited:

Drexel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valk54
3DS FC
4527-9856-8570
Ah!

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
I don't think Snake would be cut due to time constraints. Unless he was only decided on late in development, he would be a priority to finish due to being third party.
Brawl Sonic says hi, Brawl Mewtwo says goodbye.

Seriously, the third-party importance thing is bull****. It's one of those invented things like the Fire Emblem pattern and the Pokemon pattern that will be disproved this time around.

D

Deleted member

Well, to be fair, Ness is the only protagonist of the series who has seen the light of day outside of Japan. Of course not counting Lucas being in brawl. So that, along with his involvement in Smash, is what gets him to be the face of the series, but you are right.
Yeah, that's true. EarthBound was a sales flop when it was first released though, so I was going off of that. No one knew who Ness was when he first appeared in Smash.

Drexel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valk54
3DS FC
4527-9856-8570
My heart says Mewtwo but my conscience says Jiggs.

Mewtwo has been planned for every game, and is currently very relevant. He's the most popular Smash candidate worldwide and Sakurai is considering including his Mega Evolution in the game somewhere. How could you have the Mega without Mewtwo?

Jigglypuff on the other hand is part of the Original 12, and is a Smash staple. Removing Jigglypuff just wouldn't feel right, but with the supposed debate between Ness and Lucas's inclusion, I guess the O12 isn't as safe as I thought.
I feel the same way. I really want Mewtwo to make a reappearance but I think Jiggly is going to get the spot over him. But who knows, we might get both, we might get neither, (which would really suck).

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
I feel the same way. I really want Mewtwo to make a reappearance but I think Jiggly is going to get the spot over him. But who knows, we might get both, we might get neither, (which would really suck).
however i belive we can and will have both in the game as the unlockable pokemon along with lucario

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Mewtwo.

Seniority doesn't mean anything if the Gematsu leak is to be believed, a Ness/Lucas debate shouldn't even exist if that were the case. And that's Ness and Lucas, Jigglypuff and Mewtwo is a much easier choice if seniority is taken out of the picture.
His info is terribly outdated if they were having arguments about whether Lucas or Ness will make it it would have had to been in 2012 when he decided the final roster. If it was for time constraints then those time constraints no longer apply thanks to the shiny new delay the 3DS version just recieved.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I really don't want Jigglypuff to be gone.

A Pokemon roster with only one cute or small Pokemon is bad representation in my eyes, as Pokemon has a diverse selection of Pokemon so only going for the super popular and "badass" (lol) seems...bad. Pokemon is just as known (if not arguably moreso) for its small and cute Pokemon than the big, strong ones. Jigglypuff not only fills that role, she also fills the role of being a common Pokemon you can easily find in the wild. Poor Pikachu would be alone.

I KNOW someone is gonna bring Fire Emblem, but that's different. Nevermind that FE is nowhere near as big as Pokemon, it's only Fire Emblem's fault that the main characters are normally so similar. It's NOT Pokemon's fault if the roster is full of big Pokemon.

Oh yeah, moveset as well. No one plays like Puff.

Last edited:

Drexel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valk54
3DS FC
4527-9856-8570

A Pokemon roster with only one cute or small Pokemon is bad representation in my eyes, as Pokemon has a diverse selection of Pokemon so only going for the super popular and "badass" (lol) seems...bad. Pokemon is just as known (if not arguably moreso) for its small and cute Pokemon than the big, strong ones. Jigglypuff not only fills that role, she also fills the role of being a common Pokemon you can easily find in the wild. Poor Pikachu would be alone.

I KNOW someone is gonna bring Fire Emblem, but that's different. Nevermind that FE is nowhere near as big as Pokemon, it's only Fire Emblem's fault that the main characters are normally so similar. It's NOT Pokemon's fault if the roster is full of big Pokemon.

Exactly. Besides, I would be mad if Jigglypuff gets cut, he is my secondary character in Brawl and Melee because of his agility in the air, along with a really good moveset though the down special is tricky to land.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Personally, I'm leaning towards Jigglypuff as the long time veteran. However, the Gematsu leak does bring up a rather interesting point: that there was a debate about whether to cut Ness or Lucas. While it seems Lucas is the one who's going to get cut, the fact that there was a debate at all means that Ness, and by extension, the original 12, are not absolutely safe. Taking that into account, Mewtwo getting in over Jigglypuff seems like a very real possibility. After all, Mewtwo essentially has everything going in his favor for joining the roster, aside from the fan made idea that slots determine the roster. Jigglypuff, on the other hand, only has her status as a veteran to rely on. She's really not a prominent or popular pokemon nowadays. So if being part of the original roster is not a free ticket into every future installment, Jigglypuff may end up being cut in favor of a more suitable candidate. That being said, I would still say that Jigglypuff is the more likely of the two, but it could go either way. Ideally, though, we'll see both. There's not much valid reason for why we can't have both.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I would think Jigglypuff, but something tells me that they might go with Mewtwo instead.

Why? Because the Sal leak had specifically mentioned before that there were debates on whether to keep Lucas or Ness. Now it's very likely that the info at this point is outdated, or that Lucas is now out of the game, but the thing is the development team had seriously considered cutting Ness from SSB4.

If this is true, then the original 12 clause doesn't hold water. Mewtwo was planned to be in every game in the series, while Jigglypuff was a low-priority character in 64 and Brawl. IIRC, Sakurai said that the reason Jigglypuff was included was because he couldn't get Pit's wings to animate correctly, and that he wanted a joke character in the roster.

Now while I think it's very likely that Jigglypuff's in this game, I would say that Mewtwo still has a fair shot.

Xenorange

Smash Lord

Pokeballs have plenty of cute Pokemon in them.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Mewtwo has more hurdles to go over in order to return than Jiggs who simply has to transition from Brawl to Smash 4, and Jiggs is certainly the easier character to make too. To me it's not a question whether it's Mewtwo or Puff, it's a question whether we'll get 6 Pokémon reps or not, if we don't then Mewtwo is going to be DLC at best.

Pokeballs have plenty of cute Pokemon in them.
That's like saying an AT should dictate a character spot. Even then there are more big badass 'mons in the Pokéballs than cute ones.

Last edited:

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
My opinion is that I'd rather see a grass starter if we only get one more, but with Mewtwo being planned for every installment thus far, and Jigglypuff always being a last minute addition (besides maybe Melee), I wouldn't be surprised if she were the one held off until DLC. Make the complex character on disc and the simple character the first DLC. Makes for a stronger core roster, in my opinion. Plus with the "we're thinking about it" comment, the roster was likely decided by then and I expect if Mewtwo wasn't in the game, Sakurai wouldn't have spoken up about it. Maybe they were decided whether to use megas, maybe they were deciding which of his megas to use. Idk. I think Sceptile > Mewtwo > Jigglypuff. But that's just me.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Sceptile doesn't really have any merit aside from completing the Grass, Fire, Water triangle.

Even if we take Hoenn remakes into account, Blaziken and even Swampert are probably more popular.

Agualitos

Smash Apprentice
Wow, this is actually really tough question. My heart says Mewtwo will be cut (because I love Jigglypuff and it's my main), but my mind say Jigglypuff will be cut. Mewtwo has his star power back again because of his new mega evolutions in Pokemon X and Y and has a fast and large growing fan base, but so does Jigglypuff! With her new fairy typing and those who main Jigglypuff really fight for her appearance in the games as well! In my eyes both Pokemon are staples to the popular franchise and both have a great chance at appearing in the new Smash Bros! It really depends on whether Sakurai wants to include both or not. Really I have a feeling that both will appear, but I could see only one being in. Whether it's Mewtwo because of his rising popularity and support, or Jigglypuff who is an O12, has a new typing, and has endless new moves she could use in smash bros. Lets hope for both and then both sides will be happy!

Personally I feel this will be a discussion that will be around until the very day the game is released! I just hope my Jiggs is in either way :)
Oh and to anyone this applies to, I hope you have a fun and safe 4th of July!

Last edited:

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
Sceptile doesn't really have any merit aside from completing the Grass, Fire, Water triangle.

Even if we take Hoenn remakes into account, Blaziken and even Swampert are probably more popular.
Popularity didn't matter for Greninja and for all we know Greninja was chosen after Sceptile because he was a water type. Swampert would be cool. Blaziken is an arguement not worth the time. I'm fully prepared for the grass void in this game, though.

Aside from that, do people expect Mewtwo to be more psychic with is moveset if he's in this time around?

I kinda want a band shape projectile with Paycho Cut instead of another charge ball. Psystrike would be nice too. Or plain Psychic. Or Future Sight as a trap move. I do like Teleport and Confusion. Teleport being more like PM's version would be nice. Same goes for Confusion.

Or alternatively, what fairy move(s) could Jiggs get and in place of what?

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Or alternatively, what fairy move(s) could Jiggs get and in place of what?
Well, the full list of Fairy type moves she can have in the Pokemon games is:

Disarming Voice
Dazzling Gleam
Misty Terrain
Charm
Sweet Kiss

If nothing else, I think she should get Disarming Voice. It's a sound-based move so it would fit well with Jiggly's singing motif.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805

"H-he has absolutely no problem fitting in!" - Sakurai

Never forget. :<

Nah, I agree though. Isaac and Mac seem to be some of the ATs who may have of the best chances of becoming playable (and they're popular requests too)... err well, Mac's already in so... But I didn't expect Saki to have a great chance of becoming playable, or any other S&P character for the matter. It was kinda like on the off chance type thing. But Saki being deconfirmed hurt me more than I thought it would.
It still hurts... :crying:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Are we counting Isa Jo out too for the lack of a S&P logo and Saki being (to my understanding) more important? *sigh*
I'm not, because if we are getting a S&P character (or perhaps even a stage), Saki's logo is most likely a placeholder to keep a surprise. However, like I said before, I don't find overly likely, but hey, I do love Isa as well. And you never know with these obsurce series.

S&P stage would be awesome either way.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Maybe Kojima didn't ask Sakurai to add Snake this time? I don't know.
With the time and work sakurai and team put into snake, it would be strange if he didnt try to get him in. And we now know that kojima is completely open to him returning, so theres really nothing keeping him out unless the nintendo higher ups try to strong arm him or something we can see behind doors.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413

If we're going to talk about "repping the franchise better by adding a second cute Pokemon", then maybe adding a Legendary Pokemon would represent the franchise better :troll:
Seriously, though, I doubt Sakurai says "I'll add Jigglypuff so Pikachu won't be so lonely as the only cute Pokemon rep". Jigglypuff is probably in smash because of how easy she is to program.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
In this case, I think Mewtwo will once again get the boot sadly.

If we're going to talk about "repping the franchise better by adding a second cute Pokemon", then maybe adding a Legendary Pokemon would represent the franchise better :troll:
Seriously, though, I doubt Sakurai says "I'll add Jigglypuff so Pikachu won't be so lonely as the only cute Pokemon rep". Jigglypuff is probably in smash because of how easy she is to program.
I seriously doubt cuteness had anything to do with her inclusion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom