• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sausage Zeldas

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sanics
3DS FC
2509-2629-0987

I mean, sure, her series has only sold 17 million copies compared to even Kirby's 33 million, but I've always considered Samus to be an important face of Nintendo. Am I in a minority there?

Miffa

The Money Man
NNID
DeanMiffa

I mean, sure, her series has only sold 17 million copies compared to even Kirby's 33 million, but I've always considered Samus to be an important face of Nintendo. Am I in a minority there?
I think its not what it means to us but what it means to Nintendo and to them a bigger franchise is the one that sells better.

Sausage Zeldas

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sanics
3DS FC
2509-2629-0987
I think its not what it means to us but what it means to Nintendo and to them a bigger franchise is the one that sells better.
I was talking more about this discussion going on right now, and the fact that no one really mentioned what I thought was an important series in a discussion about important serieseseses.

Miffa

The Money Man
NNID
DeanMiffa
I was talking more about this discussion going on right now, and the fact that no one really mentioned what I thought was an important series in a discussion about important serieseseses.
I personally on that note then see them as the same size Kirby has sold about double Metroid but has about double the games.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
So I've held off on bringing this up because I didn't want to be called a heretic...

But I've just seen enough this brought up that I feel like addressing it.

I've noticed many people say that there is apparently a "big three" in regards to the series in Smash bros. Those three are said to be "Mario, Zelda, and Pokémon."

Yeah, those three are most certainly the biggest in Nintendo...But here's a question...

...Why isn't Kirby a part of it or at least even close?

Yes, I know Donkey Kong has more sells, but this isn't about who deserves it. This is about who is being the most heavily promoted in a sense like they are a big deal. Whether is be through ads and/or the content they get in the game.

While Donkey Kong gets a nice amount of content and he is pretty big, Kirby is shown as way more important. I mean, just look at all the time he has been in the ads. There's also subspace where the Kirby characters all had important roles in Subspace. Kirby also usually gets a nice amount of content in the games. He has had plenty of stages and items in the past. They even added both King Dedede and Meta Knight in brawl.

But I know what you all are thinking. I can prove kirby is big and all, but what make him different then Donkey to say Pokémon? What makes me sure that he is considered as/almost as big as the "big three" in the eyes of Sakurai?

Well, again I must to say I can't prove Kirby deserves it or even 100% say that Kirby is considered as big as the big three. However, what I have seen over the years of Smash, I've noticed something with Kirby when it comes to the "big three" that makes him different from Donkey Kong. Hopefully through these pictures you will see just what I mean:

There are some more instances but you get the picture.

As you probably guessed, my point is that Kirby is often advertised with the "big three." This shows that he at least compares to the "big three."

So why did I bring this all up?

Well there's 3 main reasons.

1. If the Kirby series actually compares to the "big three," then the lack of Kirby content is suspicious.

2. Because I see the "big three" used in arguments all the time and I felt like showing people my side of the picture.

3. Because I was kinda tired of hearing people say that it was impossible for Kirby to get a 4th rep solely on the basis that Kirby compares more to starfox then the "big three." Do I think Kirby should get another rep just to get another rep? Of course not. I think the character I support has enough merit to justify it's inclusion. I'm just saying when ever I try to explain why I support a character and why he is justified, I don't want to immediately be shot down solely on the fact that apparently Kirby is "too small."

Now, am I saying Kirby WILL get a new character, tons of stages, a plentiful amount of items, and many an assist trophy? Nope. What I'm saying is that if we are consider how "big" a series as a basis for content getting in the game, then surely Kirby should be considered as well, and not be so heavily excluded.
Well there's a reason for all of that.
Kirby is a creation made by HAL Laboratories and Masahiro Sakurai. I would be heavily surprised if Kirby wasn't heavily advertised in the games made by them.
Smash is basically a very technical Kirby game, in the sense that pressing a button with directional input makes you do something different (I mean Kirby Fighters should make this a no brainer). The only thing really unique about it is the KO system.

Smash is a Kirby game because it's made by the same creators of Kirby. It's not because Nintendo advertises it as such, but they obviously seem to be okay with it since it hasn't changed. Besides, it be weird seeing DK being treated as such because the impact wouldn't be as nearly as pronounced.

I mean Mario and DK are in the same game pretty much most of the time these days, but Mario and Pikachu? Mario and Link? Mario and Kirby? Those aren't things you see everyday.

hotcrumpets

Smash Journeyman

You are not wrong in that, Nintendo clearly cares somewhat about metroid, I mean they released 8 metroid games in the past 2 console generations. Even though kirby has more sales it also has like double the games, so they are pretty much tied for 5th. Still it is not really about sales, its more about how much people like a character, the wii games sold a lot but I would not call the miis important to nintendo.

Zwzchow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zwzchow8
3DS FC
1805-3193-2658
There will definitely be bloodshed on E3 :<

They can't possibly announce ALL of the highly wanted characters xD (Palutena, Ridley, K Rool, etc)
They still need space for possibly Pacman/Chorus men or smth like that

Anws at least one major character fan base will cry

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Well, yeah you don't generally have large announcements for this like this with major deconfirmations pretty much meaning you'll have some happy people and some very very unhappy people.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I personally think that Mewtwo and Pac-Man are givens.

So we already have one hype and a third party.

Nobody really knows what Rhythm Heaven is so I doubt Chorus Men will be revealed yet.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Hmm, at this point I wouldn't even say those two are a given. So far the ability to easily pretend who is going to be revealed and when has so far been mostly difficult to do.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
My E3 Predictions:

Mewtwo
Pac-Man
Mii's
Snake
Wario
Meta Knight
Shulk

Not so much that all of them will be revealed, but I'm fairly confident in all of the ones I listed.

EDIT: I could also see Palutena or Chrom getting revealed on Tuesday, and that's only because Palutena is a popular/expected character, and I only think Chrom might be revealed because Ike just did, and he might be needed for the trailer.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
My E3 Predictions:

Mewtwo
Pac-Man
Mii's
Snake
Wario
Meta Knight
Shulk

Not so much that all of them will be revealed, but I'm fairly confident in all of the ones I listed.
I just realized that both Mewtwo and Shulk are likely to be revealed, and are your two most wanted. :)

I agree with almost all of these, except for Mii. Sakurai needs more time to show off Mii's customizability, or else the reveal wouldn't even be worth it. I think that Mewtwo, Pac, and Shulk is a great line up for "newcomers" and that's pretty much what I'm expecting at the moment.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I just realized that both Mewtwo and Shulk are likely to be revealed, and are your two most wanted. :)

I agree with almost all of these, except for Mii. Sakurai needs more time to show off Mii's customizability, or else the reveal wouldn't even be worth it. I think that Mewtwo, Pac, and Shulk is a great line up for "newcomers" and that's pretty much what I'm expecting at the moment.
Quite honestly, I'll only be mildly disappointed if Mewtwo doesn't make it. He completely deserves it, and there will be a ton of backlash if he doesn't, but I think the roster will be fantastic either way.

---

One thing I AM going to advise people on, is to brace themselves for the potential butthurt that will be a "No Ridley and K.Rool" roster. I can honestly see it happening, and I'm already over it. There are going to be a lot of people who are surprised at the idea that the "Two biggest newcomers" didn't make it.

Well, my only response to that, is that if we get Mewtwo, Palutena, and Shulk, along with Little Mac and Mega Man, that's 5 characters right there that people really wanted. Even if Palutena was a shoe-in this time because of Sakurai working on Uprising, Palutena still has a fanbase that is fairly larger than others. Shulk isn't necessarily a Top 5 newcomer choice, but he's up there. Mewtwo is the obvious most wanted guy. Little Mac and Mega Man are self explanatory. Sure, we got a few other we weren't expecting, but they aren't even bad.

What i'm saying is, that while Ridley and K.Rool may not make it, I don't see why the roster will be scrutinized to hell and back. It's shaping up to be a phenomenal game, and I can't wait to play it, with or without the Dynamic Duo.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Honestly, I think Mewtwo's days are done. And I'm fine that.

To me he'd be one of the most underwhelming reveals they could have at E3. That is, if they try to play him up as a newcomer, which he isn't.

Sausage Zeldas

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sanics
3DS FC
2509-2629-0987
I think we'll be seeing at least the entire starting roster, what with the Invitational and Best Buy demo and all.

Also, if they reveal (rereveal?) Mewtwo, I hope they make the "Mewtwo Returns" pun.

Last edited:

Hot Uncle Sparky

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4356-0645-2703
Honestly, I think Mewtwo's days are done. And I'm fine that.

To me he'd be one of the most underwhelming reveals they could have at E3. That is, if they try to play him up as a newcomer, which he isn't.
They would show him as a veteran of course, a returning one, "METWO RETURNS" is what I can already see. And what do you mean his days are over? they're just getting started.

Hot Uncle Sparky

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4356-0645-2703
And also the probability that we will see the entire starter roster before 3DS release, E3 will possibly be the last time we get character reveals, depending on the specific release date.

Staarih

Smash Master
I'm expecting all of the "obvious" returners to be shown at E3, so that's at least Wario, Ice Climbers and MetaKnight. Starters-wise of course. Lucas maybe too, if he's still in.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'm expecting all of the "obvious" returners to be shown at E3, so that's at least Wario, Ice Climbers and MetaKnight. Starters-wise of course. Lucas maybe too, if he's still in.
Actually I have a feeling that Ness will be starter and Lucas will be unlockable.

Ness is the face of the series, and with the recent release of Earthbound on VC Lucas is no longer he most recent protagonist.

Staarih

Smash Master
Actually I have a feeling that Ness will be starter and Lucas will be unlockable.

Ness is the face of the series, and with the recent release of Earthbound on VC Lucas is no longer he most recent protagonist.
Yeah, I'm a bit torn between Ness and Lucas... actually, I'm one of those who (dare I say it?) wouldn't mind if Lucas was cut, reverting Ness back to being the sole representative of Mother/Earthbound. But looking at how things have turned out for some other returning characters, Lucas will probably return. That said, one of the two will likely be a starter, in which case one of the two would be pretty likely to be shown with any other "obvious" returner. Guess my list for E3 veterans should thus be Wario, Ice Climbers, MetaKnight AND Lucas/Ness.
and hopefully Snake.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
It really is weird, Wario.

I mean, they've already shown Ashley, and Waluigi is apparently part of the Wario universe now...

Maybe they're reworking him to better represent Wario Land.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Yeah, I'm a bit torn between Ness and Lucas... actually, I'm one of those who (dare I say it?) wouldn't mind if Lucas was cut, reverting Ness back to being the sole representative of Mother/Earthbound. But looking at how things have turned out for some other returning characters, Lucas will probably return. That said, one of the two will likely be a starter, in which case one of the two would be pretty likely to be shown with any other "obvious" returner. Guess my list for E3 veterans should thus be Wario, Ice Climbers, MetaKnight AND Lucas/Ness.
and hopefully Snake.
I actually want Lucas cut, and Ness to get his good attributes. But I'm in the minority there, and it's probably not happening.

I'm pretty confident in Wario, Meta Knight, and Ice Climbers being shown.
Ness and Captain Falcon could happen too, hopefully.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I'm not the biggest Mewtwo fan, and to be perfectly honest, I don't really want him in all that much...

But I'm 100% positive the Greninja trailer was supposed to foreshadow Mewtwo's return. The different shape of the hands, the lack of a backfin while Greninja is shadowed...

And I'm speaking as someone who couldn't care less about Pokemon.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I can understand having doubt in a character' since nclusion.
I'm not 100% on anyone just yet.

However Mewtwo is still extremely likely.
Sakurai has stated that Mewtwo was being considered for the game: this pretty much says to me that Mewtwo has data in this game.

Now let's take a look at Smash 4 character polls. There are some popular characters, but Mewtwo is clearly at the very top. Number one in almost every poll, he has a popularity that is unmatched by any character and is literally impossible to ignore.

Because of this I highly doubt that Mewtwo would be planned to be in the game but left out in the end.
If Mewtwo has an ounce of data in this game he will be in: I'm sure of this.
His popularity and recent importance has probably made him higher priority than Brawl, and if would be incredibly immature and downright cruel to tease a character to the extent of Mewtwo only to not include him in the game at all. It's possible that Mewtwo is left out, but it all adds up.

Sakurai isn't going to leave Mewtwo out just because of some fanmade rule about "slots".

Last edited:

Gune

Smash Lord
Overestimate mewtwo's chances? Nah with all the the stuff its been doing lately its justified to over estimate something like this.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
You know, I find it hard to believe that Mewtwo wouldn't be considered for many reasons:
-Has a running trend of being planned in every single game
-Was noted to be considered publically at the least by Sakurai (who at that point voluntarily answered this question when he wasn't part of the Q&A team)
-Leads in character polls higher than almost everyone
-Recent relevancy reboot and poster boy of Mega Evolutions makes him/it a valuable asset to Game Freak's collection, one they could have easily pushed.
-Importance is huge to the Pokemon franchise as is, nearly on Pikachu's level.

To say that Mewtwo has nothing going for him/it is relatively absurd. I certainly think it's time to look with a happier outlook than normally because it's starting to look in his/it's favor.

ppbto

Smash Journeyman
I have certainty on mewtwo's return. He is the most wanted character worldwide.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'm not the biggest Mewtwo fan, and to be perfectly honest, I don't really want him in all that much...

But I'm 100% positive the Greninja trailer was supposed to foreshadow Mewtwo's return. The different shape of the hands, the lack of a backfin while Greninja is shadowed...

And I'm speaking as someone who couldn't care less about Pokemon.
Oh yes, everyone thought it was Mewtwo. I just thought it was strange that Mewtwo's psyenergy was blue... then the shocker.

No one saw that bugger coming.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Even before the shadow was shown, I thought it was going to be Mewtwo. Why? Because Charizard was shown, and I thought two vets would be equal to one newcomer, especially if that veteran was Mewtwo. Heck even when the Pokeballs started flying, I was yelling Mewtwo over and over again.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I caught up to it not being Mewtwo pretty quickly when I began to ask 'Why would Mewtwo be hanging upside?'

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I wasn't thinking, but if I had, I would have said the same thing.
That's understandable, I generally don't even get extremely excitable even when it comes to characters. Though admittively when Greninja was revealed it did break me from my calm view to bursting out laughing.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Maybe it's because I'm a fresh face unscarred by the Brawl speculation days...

But my worst-case scenario for E3 involves the reveal of Mewtwo, Palutena, and Ridley, in that order, along with at least a couple veteran reveals.

Any more character reveals or new modes is wishful thinking and hopeful speculation in my eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom