• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Their considered clones mainly because most people outside the smash community looks at in a character is their specials, final smash and some cases design, they get judged usually with out being played. but when you scratch away that, actually play them and see them from a playstyle perspective they are completely different compared to the original character that they were supposedly "copied off"
Its mainly because of this insight that they were called pseudo clones (meaning false clone) by smashers. Ike and lucario also suffer from this too
I know mate geeees :p
I cant simply call some characters "clones" and others "semi clones" because they all play different, even dr mario.

But i had this problem before so i may start using that term, yeah :L

Precisely.

The hammer Mario never uses?

I

Didn't

Know

Hammers

Were

Exclusive

To

Paper

Mario

:rolleyes:
The more you know ;) :rolleyes:

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I was merely asserting that counters were never exclusive to Fire Emblem, I do not see why the different properties alter that notion. However, I do agree with Lucas as a semi-clone, as "mate" mentioned, I would accept Wolf as a psuedo-clone. That insinuates that the speaker comprehends that he is not really a clone but he has aspects of a clone (such as aesthetics or concepts).
The different properties matter because we were talking about what makes a clone, so just like Wolf's differently functioning Side-B and Up-B mattered so does the countering effect in regards to Ike.

As for the pseudo-clone label, I've never really used it before, but judging from your description that's exactly where Wolf fits under.

Morbi

Scavenger
The different properties matter because we were talking about what makes a clone, so just like Wolf's differently functioning Side-B and Up-B mattered so does the countering effect in regards to Ike.

As for the pseudo-clone label, I've never really used it before, but judging from your description that's exactly where Wolf fits under.
I am still not seeing the logic in that, objectively speaking counters were not exclusive to Fire Emblem. You could always assert that sword-counters were exclusive to Fire Emblem. That would be much more reasonable (and true).

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I am still not seeing the logic in that, objectively speaking counters were not exclusive to Fire Emblem. You could always assert that sword-counters were exclusive to Fire Emblem. That would be much more reasonable (and true).
I was mostly comparing counters to the way Ike's functions. Sure the general statement that counters were exclusive to FE isn't true, which is a wording issue on my part, but I was talking about Ike's counter and its functions, which are only shared with Marth and supposedly Little Mac too (and Roy too I guess.)

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
So I've held off on bringing this up because I didn't want to be called a heretic...

But I've just seen enough this brought up that I feel like addressing it.

I've noticed many people say that there is apparently a "big three" in regards to the series in Smash bros. Those three are said to be "Mario, Zelda, and Pokémon."

Yeah, those three are most certainly the biggest in Nintendo...But here's a question...

...Why isn't Kirby a part of it or at least even close?

Yes, I know Donkey Kong has more sells, but this isn't about who deserves it. This is about who is being the most heavily promoted in a sense like they are a big deal. Whether is be through ads and/or the content they get in the game.

While Donkey Kong gets a nice amount of content and he is pretty big, Kirby is shown as way more important. I mean, just look at all the time he has been in the ads. There's also subspace where the Kirby characters all had important roles in Subspace. Kirby also usually gets a nice amount of content in the games. He has had plenty of stages and items in the past. They even added both King Dedede and Meta Knight in brawl.

But I know what you all are thinking. I can prove kirby is big and all, but what make him different then Donkey to say Pokémon? What makes me sure that he is considered as/almost as big as the "big three" in the eyes of Sakurai?

Well, again I must to say I can't prove Kirby deserves it or even 100% say that Kirby is considered as big as the big three. However, what I have seen over the years of Smash, I've noticed something with Kirby when it comes to the "big three" that makes him different from Donkey Kong. Hopefully through these pictures you will see just what I mean:

There are some more instances but you get the picture.

As you probably guessed, my point is that Kirby is often advertised with the "big three." This shows that he at least compares to the "big three."

So why did I bring this all up?

Well there's 3 main reasons.

1. If the Kirby series actually compares to the "big three," then the lack of Kirby content is suspicious.

2. Because I see the "big three" used in arguments all the time and I felt like showing people my side of the picture.

3. Because I was kinda tired of hearing people say that it was impossible for Kirby to get a 4th rep solely on the basis that Kirby compares more to starfox then the "big three." Do I think Kirby should get another rep just to get another rep? Of course not. I think the character I support has enough merit to justify it's inclusion. I'm just saying when ever I try to explain why I support a character and why he is justified, I don't want to immediately be shot down solely on the fact that apparently Kirby is "too small."

Now, am I saying Kirby WILL get a new character, tons of stages, a plentiful amount of items, and many an assist trophy? Nope. What I'm saying is that if we are consider how "big" a series as a basis for content getting in the game, then surely Kirby should be considered as well, and not be so heavily excluded.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
So I've held off on bringing this up because I didn't want to be called a heretic...
Heretic! Burn the witch!

Anyway, I always assumed people stopped caring about Kirby 'cause most of the characters beyond Kirby, Meta Knight and King Dedede weren't really worth the time and effort to put in. I know Bandanna Dee has a little support and I guarantee there's one or two guys out there harboring a secret love for Gooey, but really, who else do we have that's worth putting in besides those two?

It also doesn't help that Sakurai admitted that he was afraid to put Kirby characters into Melee because he was afraid people would think him biased for his own work. Which, y'know, is fair considering it IS his work, and also why I'm surprised people are so quick to think we'll get more Kid Icarus representation. The guy's eccentric, sure, but given that past behavior is usually indicative of future behavior, we might well NOT get a Kid Icarus representative.

As far as Kirby as a franchise, I think people have a harder time taking Kirby games seriously 'cause the difficulty level on these games aren't particularly high. It's 'My First Platformer' for a lot of people. Is it necessarily true? Not entirely, there's some aspects of Kirby games that can be tough as nails, but for the most part that's how it's approached and marketed.

I just like to think Kirby shows up in a lot of the marketing, as you pointed out, because while people might not take Kirby seriously, they clearly still love him.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
So..... Paper Mario is a cool Mario that doesn't afraid of anything. Seriously though, I only want Paper Mario due to the amount of content he could possibly bring from a series that was a huge part of my childhood. It felt much different compared to the other Mario games. I'd like to see more of the RPG side in Smash. Not just not-so-new Super Mario Bros.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
The thing is about Kirby newcomers is that we don't know what he thinks of each character.

The thing about Bandana Dee is that he is both considered the 4th member of the kirby team, but he also has a lot of helper roles. Essentially, he is both a helper AND a hero, which makes for a rather awkward situation where both an assist trophy role and a playable role can be justified.

Also, something else that I want to point out that isn't entirely relevant to you post. The kirby games are the closest to smash then any other Nintendo game. What do I mean?

http://kirby.wikia.com/wiki/Smash

Not to mention they love using the Fountain of Dreams theme. Just felt like pointing that out...

I can see what you mean about Palutena because he is Sakurai, but at the same time, he is Sakurai.

While there is evidence of him being modest, there is also evidence of him being bias.

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067

I've noticed many people say that there is apparently a "big three" in regards to the series in Smash bros. Those three are said to be "Mario, Zelda, and Pokémon."

Yeah, those three are most certainly the biggest in Nintendo...But here's a question...

Mainly because kirby is honestly mostly finished

and I really haven't scene much support for kirby games until they are announced, unlike requests for zelda, pokemon, and mario

is he close, sure (he is the closest), but the series isn't a deity yet

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Not to mention they love using the Fountain of Dreams theme. Just felt like pointing that out...
Sorry to go off-topic, but that theme started out as one of the tracks for Gourmet Race, a minigame in Kirby Super Star. It was used for the Kirby stage in Smash 64 over more well-known tracks like Green Greens, so I guess Sakurai or his team liked the theme.

It was used again in Melee for the Fountain of Dream stage, and then put in the remake for Kirby's Adventure for the battle with Dedede. (in the original, the normal boss music was used)

But I'd certainly say it owes its popularity to Smash.

And on the topic of Sakurai or his team putting Smash stuff in Kirby games, the Melee model for the Fountain of Dreams and the Brawl model for the Halberd were used in the remake of Kirby Super Star.

Anyway, I doubt Sakurai would add Bandana Dee or any other Kirby newcomer partly because Kirby is his series.

----

Last edited:

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
The thing is about Kirby newcomers is that we don't know what he thinks of each character.

The thing about Bandana Dee is that he is both considered the 4th member of the kirby team, but he also has a lot of helper roles. Essentially, he is both a helper AND a hero, which makes for a rather awkward situation where both an assist trophy role and a playable role can be justified.
Bandanna Dee was given a purpose because they needed a reason to have four playable characters in that game. 'cause, y'know, for some reason I guess they completely forgot that Gooey existed. Bandanna Dee was just a happy coincidence, I'd imagine. Not to mention, I don't even think Bandanna Dee is even Sakurai's creation. Let's have a look at the credits for Return to Dreamland:

Director(s)Shinya Kumazaki
Producer(s)Hiroaki Suga
Hitoshi Yamagami
Shigefumi Kawase
Oops. Guess not. Which might explain a lot of things, actually.

Also, something else that I want to point out that isn't entirely relevant to you post. The kirby games are the closest to smash then any other Nintendo game. What do I mean?

http://kirby.wikia.com/wiki/Smash

It's actually the other way around. The Smash games are the closest to Kirby than any other NIntendo game. Is it any surprise, then, that Sakurai draws a ton of inspiration from Kirby? Look at Kirby's Air Ride, which is essentially getting a clone in Smash Run. Any Smash references that come from later Kirby games are usually just cute nods to the series 'cause of Sakurai's original involvement in and creation of Kirby.

I can see what you mean about Palutena because he is Sakurai, but at the same time, he is Sakurai.

While there is evidence of him being modest, there is also evidence of him being bias.
Well, like I said, the guy attributes a lack of Kirby newcomers in Melee to him being AFRAID of being considered biased. Any other bias towards Kirby, in things like inspiration, level design and game modes, are fair game as far as I'm concerned. None of that is as important as the roster is in a fighting game.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Not to mention, I don't even think Bandanna Dee is even Sakurai's creation. Let's have a look at the credits for Return to Dreamland:

Oops. Guess not. Which might explain a lot of things, actually.
Bandana Waddle Dee debuted in Kirby Super Star, not in Return to Dream Land.
Sakurai made Super Star.
Ergo, BWD is Sakurai's creation.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, they're not in competition.
Their chances are not inversely related.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
The only other Kirby character I personally think is deserving is Bandana Dee. However, Adeleine would be an interesting character.

D

Deleted member

In all seriousness, I find Whispy Woods to be the most deserving character of the franchise not yet playable, but I certainly don't expect him to ever be playable.

....but he is feasible, which is the scary part.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Bandana Waddle Dee debuted in Kirby Super Star, not in Return to Dream Land.
Sakurai made Super Star.
Ergo, BWD is Sakurai's creation.
That's funny, I completely forgot about Kirby Super Star being BD's first debut. Which is even funnier considering I used to friggin' speed run the game. Man, I'm bad.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
In all seriousness, I find Whispy Woods to be the most deserving character of the franchise not yet playable, but I certainly don't expect him to ever be playable.

I think he walks on his roots in Kirby's Dream Land 3,...but jumping?

It'd be hilarious to see Whipsy actually be playable, as well as the reactions.

He jumps in Kirby 64.
Only the three smaller ones do that.

----

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That's funny, I completely forgot about Kirby Super Star being BD's first debut. Which is even funnier considering I used to friggin' speed run the game. Man, I'm bad.
Understandable; BWD was merely the first opponent in the Megaton Punch mini-game.
He didn't have much of a presence like he did in the remake, Returns, or Triple Deluxe.

I think he walks on his roots in Kirby's Dream Land 3,...but jumping?

It'd be hilarious to see Whipsy actually be playable, as well as the reactions.

----
He jumps in Kirby 64.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054

Yes, I know Donkey Kong has more sells, but this isn't about who deserves it. This is about who is being the most heavily promoted in a sense like they are a big deal. Whether is be through ads and/or the content they get in the game.

While Donkey Kong gets a nice amount of content and he is pretty big, Kirby is shown as way more important. I mean, just look at all the time he has been in the ads. There's also subspace where the Kirby characters all had important roles in Subspace. Kirby also usually gets a nice amount of content in the games. He has had plenty of stages and items in the past. They even added both King Dedede and Meta Knight in brawl.

But I know what you all are thinking. I can prove kirby is big and all, but what make him different then Donkey to say Pokémon? What makes me sure that he is considered as/almost as big as the "big three" in the eyes of Sakurai?

Well, again I must to say I can't prove Kirby deserves it or even 100% say that Kirby is considered as big as the big three. However, what I have seen over the years of Smash, I've noticed something with Kirby when it comes to the "big three" that makes him different from Donkey Kong. Hopefully through these pictures you will see just what I mean:

As you probably guessed, my point is that Kirby is often advertised with the "big three." This shows that he at least compares to the "big three."

1. If the Kirby series actually compares to the "big three," then the lack of Kirby content is suspicious.

2. Because I see the "big three" used in arguments all the time and I felt like showing people my side of the picture.

3. Because I was kinda tired of hearing people say that it was impossible for Kirby to get a 4th rep solely on the basis that Kirby compares more to starfox then the "big three." Do I think Kirby should get another rep just to get another rep? Of course not. I think the character I support has enough merit to justify it's inclusion. I'm just saying when ever I try to explain why I support a character and why he is justified, I don't want to immediately be shot down solely on the fact that apparently Kirby is "too small."

Now, am I saying Kirby WILL get a new character, tons of stages, a plentiful amount of items, and many an assist trophy? Nope. What I'm saying is that if we are consider how "big" a series as a basis for content getting in the game, then surely Kirby should be considered as well, and not be so heavily excluded.
I dont think its necessarily the size of the Kirby series that will limit its newcomers/content, rather a multitude of things.

Series size, like it or not, does have an effect on how much from that series is put in the game. The big 3, as you call them, have the most characters, stages, trophies, etc., But that makes sense. Kirby is certainly important to Nintendo, and comparable to DK. IMO, series size goes

Mario>Pokemon>Zelda>DK>Kirby

The difference between Kirby and DK might not be that much, but DK has only 2 characters and so far not a lot of content. It really needs more, whereas Kirby had a bunch of content added in Brawl, such as 2 characters.

Also, consider that Kirby doesnt have as many newcomer choices as DK does. Mainly, Kirby has Bandana Waddle Dee to add, not a very heavy hitter, but a decent choice nonetheless. However compared to some one like K Rool, for example, who is part of a series that seriously needs additions and is also heavily requested, popular and has longevity/history, the comparison doesnt really stack up. This is also not mentioning that there is other choices for characters, like Dixie, competing for a spot, which may influence another addition to the DK series.

I agree that Kirby is big, but its content in Smash isnt really lacking, compared to series like DK where there is lacking content and is a more important series overall, IMO. Youre probably right that it should get more content, but not before series where characters or content are lacking. DK is the obvious one, but I would even say Metroid should get some before Kirby.

This is all assuming Metaknight returns (which he will.)

Last edited:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913

This brings back bad memories from Yungtown.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

Kirby gets much of the screentime you showed in your examples because of Sakurai being biased (although most of its content outside of the SSE bias is largely justified). To answer what I believe your question is, people don't lump the series in with Mario/Zelda/Pokemon because they see through the bias and realize that it's just not on the same level as those three.

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Kirby gets much of the screentime you showed in your examples because of Sakurai being biased (although most of its content outside of the SSE bias is largely justified). To answer what I believe your question is, people don't lump the series in with Mario/Zelda/Pokemon because they see through the bias and realize that it's just not on the same level as those three.
Hm, I don't think my actual question came across. Or at least there is a misunderstanding. Bear in my mind that I do understand Kirby isn't on the same level as them in actuality.

My actual question was why don't people include Kirby when in the context of what Sakurai would do.

For example, there was that fake css leak a while back that had three rows with Mario, Pikachu, and Link each starting each row. This made sense to many people because those were the big three.

However, in the context of Sakurai, does that make sense? Wouldn't Kirby also start a row? You said it yourself, Sakurai is biased.

My point isn't that Kirby is or is/not as big as them. It's actually, wouldn't Kirby actually be more closer in term of content in smash as the big three because of Sakurai?

I kept seeing Kirby compared to franchises like StarFox and Mother. I was just pointing out that I thought the Kirby franchise was considered bigger then them by Sakurai with all the ads Kirby appears in. That Sakurai could actually consider there to be a "Big Four" rather then a "Big Three."

I was basically trying to say that people shouldn't be surprised if we get something big for Kirby. Whether it be tons of stages or even a new character. Will it be justified? I don't know, but it think it's entirely possible due to Sakurai's bias. I'm not saying as much as Mario or Pokemon, but a large amount that might catch people off guard.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
...Wow, I actually really want Whispy Woods now.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Hm, I don't think my actual question came across. Or at least there is a misunderstanding. Bear in my mind that I do understand Kirby isn't on the same level as them in actuality.

My actual question was why don't people include Kirby when in the context of what Sakurai would do.

For example, there was that fake css leak a while back that had three rows with Mario, Pikachu, and Link each starting each row. This made sense to many people because those were the big three.

However, in the context of Sakurai, does that make sense? Wouldn't Kirby also start a row? You said it yourself, Sakurai is biased.

My point isn't that Kirby is or is/not as big as them. It's actually, wouldn't Kirby actually be more closer in term of content in smash as the big three because of Sakurai?

I kept seeing Kirby compared to franchises like StarFox and Mother. I was just pointing out that I thought the Kirby franchise was considered bigger then them by Sakurai with all the ads Kirby appears in. That Sakurai could actually consider there to be a "Big Four" rather then a "Big Three."

I was basically trying to say that people shouldn't be surprised if we get something big for Kirby. Whether it be tons of stages or even a new character. Will it be justified? I don't know, but it think it's entirely possible due to Sakurai's bias. I'm not saying as much as Mario or Pokemon, but a large amount that might catch people off guard.
Well, in that case, my answer remains the same, just with regard to the roster as well...Kirby just isn't on the level of those other three, based on what we've seen thus far.

We've gotten two, three, and even four newcomers from some combination of Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon in each Smash game to date. Kirby, on the other hand, only got Dedede and Meta Knight in Brawl. While I think Sakurai planning Dedede for 64 was biased (since he would have taken priority over people like Zelda and Diddy), their inclusion in Brawl was completely justified as fulfilling fan requests...they weren't added because of some desire to "add a Kirby Rep" or "promote Kirby," although I'm sure Sakurai didn't mind those added perks.

Now, however, the closest thing there is to a character contender is a Player Four only supported by a vocal pocket of users on this message board alone. Even if we're considering the possibility of character bias, there's a great chance of that bias being split or even usurped by shiny new Kid Icarus Uprising; people considered one of its characters an 100% lock from day one of announcement (with the needle finally settling on Palutena), and it's not uncommon to see rabid GameFAQs users decree that "it DESERVES three characters."

tl;dr Kirby may get a reasonable amount of content this time, but it's sensible that people aren't putting it at the top tier of series representation.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Honestly when I go back and think into my childhood. The way my brain works is I organize things into groups, on a map, a diagram, or associated with a color. Which is weird because I stink at math, reading maps, and i just smear colors. But anyway. The way I always thought of Nintendo series were actually as a big 4. And that big 4 was Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, and Kirby. That may have been because those 4 series cover my 4 favorite Nintendo series. But as a kid that was always obvious to me. I was shocked when Meta Knight wasn't in melee because I was (and I guess you could say i still am) a big fan of Kirby and assumed him on the top in terms of the franchises. I guess this was supported my entire life since games like Kirby would always get releases while Star Fox or F-Zero would be a hit or miss on whether or not they would get another title.

bilbo43

Smash Cadet

I think because Kirby is part of Sakurai's games, he is trying to promote his own characters more in the directs. Same could probably be seen with Pit this game, especially being one of the first character reveals.

Ive mained Kirby in most of the games, and i deem him an important part of smash brothers, but I cannot say outside of the smash universe that he quite matches it with Mario, Zelda and Pokemon in popularity.

The pictures you presented I dont think proved he is a part of the big three (four) because they were created with Sakurai's influence. If they were independant Nintendo images that had nothing to do with Smash brothers at all and he had his face as large as mario's or pikachu's i would understand your point.

The only example i can think of where kirby was shown equal with the other characters in on the 3DS's virtual reality cards (along with samus and an item block if im not mistaken) but i think it was an example of needing 6 different cards and they just chose 6 likeable, or accessable characters

Edit: Sorry, didn't see your later post. This basically just agreed with what I was saying. And i agree whole heardedly with that statement. In fact with any roster I try to make I always make sure that Mario, Link, Kirby and Pikachu start any row or column before I start a row with any other series characters

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Only the three smaller ones do that.

----
Huh. So they do.

I vaguely remember somewhere that Whispy jumped from the ground, but I guess he never did.
Though if his children can jump, I don't see any reason to assume he can't. *shrugs*

Last edited by a moderator:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Kracko > Whispy Woods
as far as reocurring Kirby bosses go anyway
New Kracko styled stage? Yes please.

Anyway, the Kirby series is great, and should be considered important... I just think IMO that Sakurai is a humble guy, and doesn't want to over represent his own series, or something like that.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
woah dont need to be rude, pretty much all the people i ask why they want him is "because he will be fun to play".
I know there are exceptions, there is always exceptions, i jus think thats one of the main reasons.
Really? If anything, I see it off of the partner's personalities and movesets and the idea of playing as a Goomba/Koopa/Etc as one of the main reasonings. Unique is a buzzword, but he's definitely one of the few characters that has a lot of attributes on his own, from other Mario RPG's, and with other partners. Those combined...

Heck, Rosalina & Luma and Ice Climbers are proof. People are selling Paper Mario the wrong way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom