• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well, I agree that a "puzzle" character could be good, the only one that I know enough and appeal to me would be mallo but even if he's unique in itself, doing a moveset for him should be "interesting" (I really wonder what he would do if included). Not to mention that just the idea of attacking by pushing blocks sounds funny to me.
Well he'd definitely have a pushing and pulling mechanic going on in a sumo wrestling style. I can also see him use the carrier birds from Crashmo and a Crashmo puzzle as his Final Smash. I've worked up a doable moveset for him at the Mallo Support thread.

I think he'd be a fairly interesting character. Though on the topic of puzzle solving characters, I'd like to see some more of them too. Oh how i'd wish to see Layton among them...............

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
In a fighting game, characters have their own set playstyles. You can't just play a character any way you want. (Well, I mean, you can, but you're not using them effectively.)

Take Dhalsim. He's the token range character in Street Fighter. His playstyle is pretty much poking you from afar because of his damn good range and keeping you away with projectile. His primary weakness is fighting up close, so he has to throw them away otherwise he's dead. He's not the kind of character you'd want to rush down with. Similarly you have Zangief, who is scary as hell up close but you really don't want to playing the poking game with him. Characters have set playstyles, even if they're not obvious at first. M.Bison is a heavy spacing character that relies on footsies and fundamental knowledge to rack up as much damage as he could despite his low damage output, Balrog is the defensive character that waits for an opening to punish you and punish you hard, and then you have Ryu who can adopt many playstyles because of his versatility.

Personally, that's how I determine uniqueness. If they can bring a playstyle no one else could, not about how their moves look or how different they are. Jigglypuff does, Mewtwo in Melee doesn't. Again, he can be fixed, but I'm just speaking in present terms. Right now he's barebones.

I'm pretty sure that's what I said. Yes.

I disagree. Ike is a veteran who has a unique moveset and thus is an established Smash character, so there is no reason to cut him. On the other hand I don't see any reason to add a character from a very popular franchise who hasn't appeared in a while especially when the series started going really strong AFTER said appearance.

There's really no character that you can compare K.Rool with. He's SUCH a unique and weird case to try and argue using comparisons.
I understand what you're saying, however, Mewtwo is still a unique character. I guess it's somewhat subjective, but Mewtwo is definitely a unique character in my book. I doubt he'd be the most wanted if he wasn't unique.

No, I'm implying that if people are going to whine about Dr. Mario being a clone, then change him to better reflect the Dr. Mario franchise as opposed to making **** up (i.e. "Super Sheet") solely to be a clone.

Aside from the personal bias towards the Paper Mario franchise (which I'm not criticizing; I have a personal bias towards the Dr. Mario franchise), the whole "clone" thing is why people even mention Paper Mario in positive light; because they feel he can (can being the operative word) be unique. Well, Dr. Mario can also be unique if he was more "Dr. Mario" than "Dr. Mario in Super Mario Bros. style".

At the same time, Paper Mario can just as easily be "Paper Mario in Super Mario Bros. style" too.
It really just comes down to who you like more. I personally prefer Doc.
Ah gotcha, I personally prefer Paper Mario due to his unlimited possibility. I liked Dr. Mario, but I feel that Paper Mario has a much higher chance to bring something to the table. Also, I think Paper Mario has more "moveset potential" than Dr. Mario did, thus resulting in one of the quick clone characters.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ah gotcha, I personally prefer Paper Mario due to his unlimited possibility. I liked Dr. Mario, but I feel that Paper Mario has a much higher chance to bring something to the table. Also, I think Paper Mario has more "moveset potential" than Dr. Mario did, thus resulting in one of the quick clone characters.
"Moveset potential" gets thrown out the window when the purpose of your addition is specifically to be a clone. :ganondorfmelee:

When it comes to alternate versions of existing characters, only Sheik and Zero Suit Samus got the luck of the draw for non-clone status, and that was due to them being alternate "modes" of sort that can be changed into and out of in mid-match.
With that in mind, I don't expect any alternate versions that are added to be anything less than a semi-clone regardless of "potential".

queenrosetta

Smash Apprentice
Sooooo sorry if this has already been brought up, but I just want to point out that miis on Mario kart represent you in the lobby as well as being a playable character. So it could happen the same way in smash!

EDIT: and I know there have been a million mii discussions but the thread was a tad dead for a while so had to brig something up lol

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
"Moveset potential" gets thrown out the window when the purpose of your addition is specifically to be a clone. :ganondorfmelee:

When it comes to alternate versions of existing characters, only Sheik and Zero Suit Samus got the luck of the draw for non-clone status, and that was due to them being alternate "modes" of sort that can be changed into and out of in mid-match.
With that in mind, I don't expect any alternate versions that are added to be anything less than a semi-clone regardless of "potential".
Agreed, Dr. Mario was added to "beef up" the roster I heard. I think Wario was planned to be a Mario clone but it was decided that Wario deserved his own moveset and was added to Brawl. Therefore, we got Dr. Mario, who was an easy character to add due to time constraints.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Something I posted in the Chrom thread that I want opinions on. I was looking to see if there were any non-Japanese (non-Takamaru) swordsmen that might get in Smash and I found out that Chrom uses his sword two-handed at times.

Why not give him the Blossfechten fighting style? Blossfechten is the Germanic martial art of fighting two-handed with a longsword when wearing minimal armor (there's a different fighting style, Harnischfechten, that encompasses armored swordplay, and it's one-handed, so a distinction is made between them). It would be accurate for the kind of character he is while also giving us a completely new fighting style.

There are five principles in blossfechten that the art is built upon. Vor, noch, swach, stark, and Indes. The words mean before, after, weak, strong, and meanwhile/interim.

Vor is offensive actions and nach is defensive actions. In blossfechten, a combatant must attempt to be in the vor (on the offensive) as much as possible. Since this is "unarmored" fighting, even one hit can be fatal, and being in the vor is preferable because you're more likely to hit first and less likely to be hit. Nach is more reactive; focusing on responding to the decisions made by the one in vor.

Swatch and stark are relating to how much force is applied in a bind of swords. Neither one is better. Swatch and stark simply contrast/compliment one another. Swatch is countered with stark and stark with swatch (strong force counters weak force and vice versa).

Indes is basically mindgames. Wikipedia says it well. "At the instant of contact with the opponent's blade, an experienced fencer uses 'feeling' (fühlen) to immediately sense his opponent's pressure in order to know whether he should be "weak or "strong" against him. He then either attacks using the "vor" or remains in the bind until his opponent acts, depending on what he feels is right. When his opponent starts to act, the fencer acts "indes" (meanwhile) and regains the "vor" before the opponent can finish his action."

Now, applying that to Smash Bros. is fairly simple. It can be implemented as an unoffensive gimmick (like Marth's tips).

How? Simple. Give him a special mechanic which motivates him to clash attacks with his opponent by making it cancel his attacks' ending lag (make it possible to attack immediately after) and/or make it increase frame lag for his opponent (making it easier to hit them) to put you into an advantage and let you combo them (essentially getting the opponent into nach and you into vor). This mechanic would then be built upon the swatch and stark contrast of "weak force counters strong force and strong force counters weak force". What I mean is that Chrom will have to clank his weak moves with his opponent's strong moves and clank his strong moves with his opponent's weak moves. And, of course, the moves would still have combo ability because hitboxes don't affect clashes too much. Only genuine hits. So if he's on the offensive already, he already has the advantage. This gimmick just helps him to get there.
Thoughts?

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
If it would even make sense in any way for Paper Mario to even consider him being a clone or even a semi clone, I wouldn't support him, If Sakurai WANTS a mario clone, then go with dr mario but seriously putting Paper Mario as clone or semi clone makes even less sense to not put him at all. He just CANNOT feel like the mario because he isn't. I know that the fact that he's still mario is undeniable but he just do not feel like mario in his game. In fact, ignoring his potential (which is gigantic) is like assuming that he would be a clone. I can think of 2 gimmick potential and a whole playstyle + several movesets not seen before. I'm telling you if he's in this is not for the sole purpose of putting as a clone and I'll go as far to say that it won't even be Paper Mario at all (like ganondorf which feels too much like c falcon).

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Wario should've been the clone instead.
Sakurai considered it for Melee, but he thought Wario deserved better than to be a clone.
I think people would've been kinda upset regardless, even if that did happen. Look how they reacted to "Captain Ganondorf".

To be fair though, Falcon and Ganondorf are from different series, while Mario and Wario are more similar, and I don't think Sakurai would've given Wario his own series symbol at the time, despite the Wario Land series.

----

Last edited:

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
Sakurai considered it for Melee, but he thought Wario deserved better than to be a clone.
I think people would've been kinda upset regardless, even if that did happen. Look how they reacted to "Captain Ganondorf".

To be fair though, Falcon and Ganondorf are from different series, while Mario and Wario are more similar, and I don't think Sakurai would've given Wario his own series symbol at the time, despite the Wario Land series.

----
even then, wario being a clone would make no difference of ganondorf being a clone

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I'm actually curious.

What are you guys most wanted character that hasn't been disconfirmed, or that is overall still kinda likely.

With Kamek gone it'd have to go to the Professor for me.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I'm actually curious.

What are you guys most wanted character that hasn't been disconfirmed, or that is overall still kinda likely.

It'd have to be Mewtwo for me. No question.

After that, it'd probably be Robin->Ridley->King K. Rool->Pac-Man->Palutena.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I'm actually curious.

euh... define "still kinda likely" because, if I can describe it as "possible but only some chance" then look at my sig (hint it's Paper Mario). If just "likely" then it would be ridley (note: normally, it's 50/50 but this is what I think and I shouldn't explain it here because when I did, it was too frustrating).

JFM2796

Smash Journeyman
I'm actually curious.

K. Rool, he's basically the only character with a realistic chance to get in that I really want.

I would like to see Ganon and Sceptile too, but I know that's a pipe dream.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
I'm actually curious.

GHIRAHIM OF COURSE! :drflip:

after him... hmmmm, Palutena and Ridley, i won't be upset nor even dissapointed to see Ridley only as a boss:drshrug:, but it would be pretty cool to have him as a playable character IMO:drohyou:

Edit: Also... Mewtwo, but Mewtwo and Palutena are character i think are already in, so i will be upset or/and dissapointed if one of them don't make it to the roster :drsad:

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
euh... define "still kinda likely" because, if I can describe it as "possible but only some chance" then look at my sig (hint it's Paper Mario). If just "likely" then it would be ridley (note: normally, it's 50/50 but this is what I think and I shouldn't explain it here because when I did, it was too frustrating).
I'd say "kinda likely" is 20% or higher

Also why is mewtwo peoples most wanted? He was already in smash! Wouldn't you want a new experience a bit more?

Still want mewtwo BTW just not as much as some newcomers

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Come on, you know you want some Super Mario Bros. Movie representation. :awesome:
Well Bob Hoskins died last month, so they should put in his ghost wearing his Mario outfit.
He even has great Moveset potential! Here's one I made on the spot!

Standard Special: Bob-omb: Throws a tiny Bob-omb forwards, and it explodes.
Side Special: Mario Mario Van: Like Wario's Bike, but with the Mario Bros. Plumbing van.
Up Special: Rocket Boots: A cross between the Super Jump Punch, and ROB's Up Special.
Down Special: Plumb: Puts a plunger on the floor of the stage, and pushes it up and down as if he were unclogging a toilet. Does absolutely nothing.
Final Smash: Super Scope cameo Deevolution Gun: Pulls out a repainted Super Scope, and turns everyone into fungus.

I'm actually curious.

A tie between Ridley and K. Rool., with Ghirahim coming in a close 2nd.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

Also why is mewtwo peoples most wanted? He was already in smash! Wouldn't you want a new experience a bit more?

I don't care so much about having something new. To me, it's about the characters themselves. I loved having Mewtwo on the roster in Melee, and I think he's one of the most deserving characters not currently on the roster. I don't care if he already was on the roster once; he isn't now. He should be.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617

euh... I hate arbirtrary numbers to rate chance (check the rtc thread for instance). But... I'll say that Paper Mario has "some" to "possible" chance which I think it's around that number.

I know it's more ambiguous but I better be ambiguous than not saying what I want to tell in the first place.

andimidna

Smash Master
I'm actually curious.

Definitely Palutena.
I 100% want her, and I'm 100% sure she's in. Which is awesome, because my next most wanted aren't the most likely... at all.
Ghirahim and Anna... (not losing hope though)

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
I'm actually curious.

Krystal for me. Although, I put up with a lot of flak for it.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I'm actually curious.

Sorry about Kamek, I too, would've loved to see him as a second Yoshi character. However, I'm glad to see he plays a decent role.
As most know, I'm rooting for Paper Mario who has yet to be disconfirmed. I seriously doubt his inclusion though.

So other than Villager, I'm awaiting to see K. Rool's fate.
Which you shouldn't because I too think she'd be an interesting character. There's no reason to bash Krystal.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Probably Takamaru with Isaac and Shulk as a tie for second place.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I'm actually curious.

Roy for me.

And probably Shulk after. I do have others that I'd love to see, but I don't think they're likely now (those would be Bowser Jr. and Isa, but hey, if Sakurai can prove me wrong I'd take back my words ;)). but yeah, I don't feel confident in them now.

D

Deleted member

I'm actually curious.

Krystal for me (You already knew that though :p)

I'm practically used to it by now its almost normal.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I'm actually curious.

Palutena.

I honestly wouldn't know what to do with myself if she got confirmed especially because I really want to main Rosalina.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom