• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Dedede's not even a villain, though.
Just a jerk with good intentions and poor communication skills.
That is why Dedede is one of my favorite video game characters.
I would say Dark Matter is the main Villain of Kirby.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Apparently Link, Samus, Yoshi, Kirby, Pikachu, Ness, Peach, Bowser, Mewtwo, The Ice Climbers, Marth, Mr. Game & Watch, Meta Knight, Pit, Zero Suit Samus, Wario, Snake, Ike, Diddy Kong, The Pokémon Trainer (specifically his Pokémon), King Dedede, Sonic, R.O.B., Pikmin & Olimar, The Villager, Mega Man, The Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina & Luma, Little Mac, Greninja, etc. etc. etc. don't exist.

There is no proof any character was cut for other characters. What ultimately was the leading cause of cuts in Brawl was the SSE anyways, which took over 60% of the development team's time, money, resources, focus, and efforts, which obviously equates to more than just a few characters.

Ganondorf didn't appear in The Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, Skyward Sword, or A Link Between Worlds. Does that make him irrelevant for not appearing in a 2-parter of Zelda games, the origin of Zelda, and a new spin on an old classic=???

Dude, the DKC series is huge. In fact, it now sells better than Zelda did, and it garners more attention. Stop acting like people forget K. Rool exists, because no Zelda game has come close to touching DKC1's sales, at all.

Also, if we're talking about "not returning in revival series", uhhhhh, Sheik hasn't appeared in a Zelda game in about 16 years. That's older than a lot of people here.
I'm really shocked so much of my post flew right over your head. To your first point. Of freaking course those character have special movesets. We're comparing two reps from franchises that already had characters. In this case Dixie and K Rool, and Lucas and Wolf. How did you possibly take that like that.

Second point. Of course not. It's different when a games been revived. There's Mario games where bowser has not been the main villain, but the series has never been rebooted, let alone rebooted without Bowser. Again, read the posts.

Donkey Kong Country series has sold almost 30 mil in it's entire lifespan. Not even close to Zelda's. It's not nearly as popular. Back in DC1 days maybe, but today? Not even close.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I'm really shocked so much of my post flew right over your head. To your first point. Of freaking course those character have special movesets. We're comparing two reps from franchises that already had characters. In this case Dixie and K Rool, and Lucas and Wolf. How did you possibly take that like that.

Second point. Of course not. It's different when a games been revived. There's Mario games where bowser has not been the main villain, but the series has never been rebooted, let alone rebooted without Bowser. Again, read the posts.

Donkey Kong Country series has sold almost 30 mil in it's entire lifespan. Not even close to Zelda's. It's not nearly as popular. Back in DC1 days maybe, but today? Not even close.
I enjoy the fact you ignored the point about Sheik.

And don't we get Zelda game's here first in the US because they aren't as popular in Japan? I don't think it's the same case for DKC.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
So who do you think has the best chance? I also want to hear why you think this.

for me its K Rool > Dixie >>> Cranky >>>>> everyone else.
I personally am not even sure it will get another rep this game if I'm honest as I think they would have announced that by now. But if I had to guess I'd put Dixie just slightly over K Rool as she is popular to the kids now, but K Rool is an EXTREEME close secomd, and I mean they might as well be tied. Just because of the Kremlings in Smash Run. Which, an argument could be said they need a generic enemy from each series for smash run and Kremlings made the most sense, but with that logic then K Rool makes sense. But I think we's have hints of K Rool by now if Sakurai truly knew how wanted he was and if he was gonna be in the game. Similar to how he is completely teasing Ridley.

JFM2796

Smash Journeyman
So who do you think has the best chance? I also want to hear why you think this.

for me its K Rool > Dixie >>> Cranky >>>>> everyone else.
As far as what I expect: Basically that.

As far as what I want: K. Rool >> Lanky > Chunky > Tiny >> Krusha > Cranky > Funky > Snide > K. Lumsy > Engaurde

I'm a DK64 fanboy.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
We're comparing two reps from franchises that already had characters.
"Reps" isn't a thing. We play as characters, not representatives. We play as Link, not the Triforce icon. That word needs to die already.

In this case Dixie and K Rool, and Lucas and Wolf. How did you possibly take that like that.
5 games = 30 million copies. Any 5 Zelda games combined haven't sold 30 million copies.

DKC Returns had more than double the sales of Skyward Sword. It sold more than Skyward Sword and A Link Between Worlds combined. DKC Returns did that with considerably less publicity and advertising and marketing than either of those games.

Only 5 Zelda games have ever topped the 5 million copies sold mark, and the only one this millennium to do it was Twilight Princess, which was the focal point game of the Wii (after Wii Sports and the unique motion controls) during the Wii's launch. And even then, DKC Returns outsold Twilight Princess.

Zelda isn't as popular as you think, whereas DKC is.

Zelda has had 17 main games, whereas DKC has only had 5, and DKC still has roughly half the sales of Zelda. That should tell you something.

Last edited:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
I enjoy the fact you ignored the point about Sheik.

And don't we get Zelda game's here first in the US because they aren't as popular in Japan? I don't think it's the same case for DKC.
I honestly did mot see that part when making my post. Sorry. But you just flat out ignored my post as well? In regards to Shiek, she was one of the most popular characters from Melee and was in Brawl as well, also Ocarina of Time 3D. This is a completely different situation. You guys are stretching sooooo far to give K Rool so more credibility.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I honestly did mot see that part when making my post. Sorry. But you just flat out ignored my post as well? In regards to Shiek, she was one of the most popular characters from Melee and was in Brawl as well, also Ocarina of Time 3D. This is a completely different situation. You guys are stretching sooooo far to give K Rool so more credibility.
And if I recall correctly King K Rool has been one of the most popular characters for a while now, you know, before Sheik was even born.

And I wouldn't have known you ignored that part if I didn't read your post...

Last edited:

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
I personally am not even sure it will get another rep this game if I'm honest as I think they would have announced that by now. But if I had to guess I'd put Dixie just slightly over K Rool as she is popular to the kids now, but K Rool is an EXTREEME close secomd, and I mean they might as well be tied. Just because of the Kremlings in Smash Run. Which, an argument could be said they need a generic enemy from each series for smash run and Kremlings made the most sense, but with that logic then K Rool makes sense. But I think we's have hints of K Rool by now if Sakurai truly knew how wanted he was and if he was gonna be in the game. Similar to how he is completely teasing Ridley.
Hmmm interesting. What makes you think they would have announced it by now? Because as it stands we only have 2 out of 6 additions to series already in Smash, being Rosalina and Greninja for Mario and Pokemon, both with no indication or hint whatsoever of their inclusion. The only hint weve had towards a newcomer is the Boxing Ring stage for Little Mac.

The hint for K Rool could very well be the Kremlings. Its certainly an indication that Sakurai has not forgotten the old DK games. Its funny you bring up Ridley, because there is a large population on these boards that believe he is deconfirmed. (Im not one of those people.)

Last edited:

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
DK

k.rool=cranky>dixie

why is cranky the same as k. rool

1) Most appearances in the series (yes even over donkey kong)
2) 1/4 characters back in returns
3) Original Donkey Kong

bilbo43

Smash Cadet
Correct me if I'm wrong but I do believe that the number of DK Country games starring King K. Rool as the primary antagonist isn't too far off of the number of Zelda games starring Ganondorf.
It depends on whether you include all of ganondorf's forms (Demise and Ganon) as being a ganondorf appearance or not.

If demise and Ganon are included than the amount of games that King K. Rool appeared in would more closely equal the amount of games ganondorf DID NOT appear in rather than the other way around.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Correct me if I'm wrong but I do believe that the number of DK Country games starring King K. Rool as the primary antagonist isn't too far off of the number of Zelda games starring Ganondorf.
Well, do you mean specifically Ganondorf, or Ganon in general? And do you mean specifically the DKC games, or all DK games?

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
"

5 games = 30 million copies. Any 5 Zelda games combined haven't sold 30 million copies.
Well Okay then

Ocarina of Time - 7.5 Mil

+

Twilight Princess - 7 Mil

+

LoZ - 6.5 Mil

+

Phantom Hourglass - 5 Mil

+

Link to the Past - 5 Mil

= 31 Million. So you're wrong.

I would argue more points but I got to get goin for an interview tommorow morning

Hmmm interesting. What makes you think they would have announced it by now? Because as it stands we only have 2 out of 6 additions to series already in Smash, being Rosalina and Greninja for Mario and Pokemon, both with no indication or hint whatsoever of their inclusion. The only hint weve had towards a newcomer is the Boxing Ring stage for Little Mac.

The hint for K Rool could very well be the Kremlings. Its certainly an indication that Sakurai has not forgotten the old DK games. Its funny you bring up Ridley, because there is a large population on these boards that believe he is deconfirmed. (Im not one of those people.)
Before I leave, you should see this video on Ridley http://youtu.be/nEcabFkhpa8

Last edited:

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
Well, do you mean specifically Ganondorf, or Ganon in general? And do you mean specifically the DKC games, or all DK games?
Strictly speaking just Ganondorf since that is the form we are most likely to play in the next Smash, although the two are technically synonymous with each other.

I'm including the DKC series as well as DK64, I'm not terribly familiar with the units sold (Or even the games themselves) of other Donkey Kong games such as King of Swing that also star King K. Rool.

Last edited:

ACDC

Smash Journeyman
The king would make a great hidden character due to the hype it would bring. They need to keep some of the hype as hidden characters and Ridley might not make it as a playable

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I'm a bit puzzled here. What's your definition of unique?

Because the only thing unique about Mewtwo is him being a floaty lightweight despite being a large character, and his nair. Otherwise, nobody shares Jigglypuff's attributes of being extreme on both sides, nor her heavy aerial based playstyle and especially not her "know your fundamentals first" mindset. She's also one of the very few Smash characters that forces their opponents to play different.
Huh? Mewtwo was definitely a unique character. And what do you mean by playstyle? Not everyone plays a character the same.
It's not about being more usable or not. Mewtwo in Project M is top 10 material, but AFAIK, he's just a juggler. (Though I don't have many experiences with him, so I'm probably wrong.)
Tier list has absolutely nothing to do with uniqueness, if that is what you're getting at. Also, once again, it's how the player uses the character.

Bottom line is that Mewtwo was a unique character that just needs some buffs and changes.

EDIT: Screw Paper Mario, I'd rather have Dr. Mario back.
Being more "Dr. Mario" and less "Mario" if people are gonna moan about clones.
I'm very confused about this, are you implying that him being in a doctors coat makes him more unique?

EDIT: Sorry for the double post, I thought someone posted after my previous one.

Last edited by a moderator:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Strictly speaking just Ganondorf since that is the form we are most likely to play in the next Smash, although the two are technically synonymous with each other.

I'm including the DKC series as well as DK64, I'm not terribly familiar with the units sold (Or even the games themselves) of other Donkey Kong games such as King of Swing that also star King K. Rool.
Ah. Then King K. Rool has been in four games (DKC, DKC2, DKC3, and DK64), and Ganondorf has been in three games, five including remakes (OoT, WW, TP, OoT3D, WWHD).

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I'm also guessing he combined the gamecube and wii sales of twilight princess
I was referring to them separate, but whatever. Might as well combined DKC 1-3 and DK Land 1-3.
phantom hourglass only got 4.13
link to the past got 4.61
LOL.

Also, I meant it more as a reference. He literally had to pick and choose games, and even then, there comes shoddy sources. It was more of a figurative things. Besides that, DKC has only 5 games, 8 if you count the Land games as different games, and DK64 arguably being a part of it.
Ah. Then King K. Rool has been in four games (DKC, DKC2, DKC3, and DK64), and Ganondorf has been in three games, five including remakes (OoT, WW, TP, OoT3D, WWHD).
K. Rool has been in 7 characters if you DKC Land 1-3 as separate games.
Link please? I cannot find the source; however, it did seem that the Nintendo DS games were last updated in March, as opposed to May (which could account for the discrepancy).
All of Nintendo's financial reports are on their website. They are a publicly traded company, after all, so all such reports must be available to the public.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm very confused about this, are you implying that him being in a doctors coat makes him more unique?

EDIT: Sorry for the double post, I thought someone posted after my previous one.
No, I'm implying that if people are going to whine about Dr. Mario being a clone, then change him to better reflect the Dr. Mario franchise as opposed to making **** up (i.e. "Super Sheet") solely to be a clone.

Aside from the personal bias towards the Paper Mario franchise (which I'm not criticizing; I have a personal bias towards the Dr. Mario franchise), the whole "clone" thing is why people even mention Paper Mario in positive light; because they feel he can (can being the operative word) be unique. Well, Dr. Mario can also be unique if he was more "Dr. Mario" than "Dr. Mario in Super Mario Bros. style".

At the same time, Paper Mario can just as easily be "Paper Mario in Super Mario Bros. style" too.
It really just comes down to who you like more. I personally prefer Doc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Do those count as DKC games? They're just called "Donkey Kong Land".
Like I said, "it depends". I don't consider them, but if you see it otherwise, who am I to say you are wrong when they are separate releases=???

It's a mundane thing to argue over. It has literally no bearing on Smash anyways, haha!!!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Does it matter if the DKL games are considered DKC?

I mean, they're all considered Donkey Kong games (as well as other games like the arcade games and the Climber series), which is what the series is called.

D

Deleted member

I know that the naming are similar, but I think the Donkey Kong Land games should be considered their own games since they do have their own worlds. Which would bring the amount of games King K. Rool has been the main antagonist of to nine games (DKC 1-3, DK Land 1-3, DK64, King of Swing, and Jungle Climber).

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
...I include the ports, but that's just me.

Which added on means K. Rool is the primary antagonist of 13 DK games. (DKC GBC was a thing.)

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Huh? Mewtwo was definitely a unique character. And what do you mean by playstyle? Not everyone plays a character the same.
In a fighting game, characters have their own set playstyles. You can't just play a character any way you want. (Well, I mean, you can, but you're not using them effectively.)

Take Dhalsim. He's the token range character in Street Fighter. His playstyle is pretty much poking you from afar because of his damn good range and keeping you away with projectile. His primary weakness is fighting up close, so he has to throw them away otherwise he's dead. He's not the kind of character you'd want to rush down with. Similarly you have Zangief, who is scary as hell up close but you really don't want to playing the poking game with him. Characters have set playstyles, even if they're not obvious at first. M.Bison is a heavy spacing character that relies on footsies and fundamental knowledge to rack up as much damage as he could despite his low damage output, Balrog is the defensive character that waits for an opening to punish you and punish you hard, and then you have Ryu who can adopt many playstyles because of his versatility.

Personally, that's how I determine uniqueness. If they can bring a playstyle no one else could, not about how their moves look or how different they are. Jigglypuff does, Mewtwo in Melee doesn't. Again, he can be fixed, but I'm just speaking in present terms. Right now he's barebones.

Tier list has absolutely nothing to do with uniqueness, if that is what you're getting at. Also, once again, it's how the player uses the character.

Bottom line is that Mewtwo was a unique character that just needs some buffs and changes.
I'm pretty sure that's what I said. Yes.
You do realize that the recency argument doesn't work anymore right? ._.

:4myfriends: says hi
I disagree. Ike is a veteran who has a unique moveset and thus is an established Smash character, so there is no reason to cut him. On the other hand I don't see any reason to add a character from a very popular franchise who hasn't appeared in a while especially when the series started going really strong AFTER said appearance.

There's really no character that you can compare K.Rool with. He's SUCH a unique and weird case to try and argue using comparisons.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom