• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Why does people consider ganon unlikely if I may ask?
It's a bit puzzling to me as well. I think he's a more ideal "power triforce holder" choice than Dorf, with an iconic design and such an importance to the series. He'd also represent the classic series that was recently revived.

The only thing going against him is well, Dorf himself. They're the same character. Obviously there's no reason not to have both of them (we have two Links and Zeldas), but eh, I could still see it as a likely reason not to have him. Maybe it's the pessimist in me but I don't see him as likely, myself.
I... I...
Well
Um...

There's already an unpopular opinions thread. Let's just change the subject to something more agreeable..
Let's talk about Palutena!
I have no idea what you're trying to say there.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Pokemon X and Y did not perform horrendously; did it not meet (exceed) expectations? Lucario was revealed before Greninja as well (as there are far more potential representatives). The two instances are not really comparable. I mean, Dixie Kong would have been the most ideal choice during Valentine's day, but we got Little Mac. To me, that indicates that she is not high on the priority list; sure, she could still be in the game. However, I do not see a logical reason to support that conclusion.
Youre probably right, they arent really comparable. However, at the same time, I highly doubt Sakurai would pass up a character because it didnt align with a game release for advertisement. Unless youre suggesting that Sakurai would have released Dixie to correspond with TF if she was in the game at all.

andimidna

Smash Master
Ganondorf was selected over Ganon when he had only made his initial appearance in OoT. Most assume that they are the same being, which they are, therefore it is redundant (unlike Toon Link, Sheik, or Toon Zelda, I presume). Ganon is also an aspect of Ganondorf's Final Smash, many do not believe that they will change the Final Smash; however, they have deluded themselves into believing that is going to have an overhaul. An overhaul to everything but his Final Smash, apparently.
Seems like people completely forgot about him until ALBW.
But this logic does make a lot of sense. Still don't think he's likely for some stubborn reason though

andimidna

Smash Master
I have no idea what you're trying to say there.
Shulk is the main protagonist of a new, critically acclaimed series that is already getting a sequel soon.
He is one of the 10 most requested characters, and that's not debatable.
Of course he is well known, just looking at the sales gets you nowhere. Do you realize how many people support Shulk without physically owning Xenoblade Chronicles? The amount might surprise you.

K Rool is even more recognizable, requested, and important than Shulk... so how could you compare either of them to Geno?

Geno is a Square Enix character in 1 game back on the SNES, who will likely never appear again.
Requests can't save that mess. No matter what.
The character you can compare Geno to is Banjo and Kazooie.
It doesn't matter how much love and requests they get, they'll still be impossible. Which does not support what it appears you are trying to prove-- Sakurai doesn't give a **** who's requested and who isn't.

Mega Man is a 3rd party character that was both highly requested and made sense-- and he made it.
Sakurai isn't just going to throw in a bunch of WFTs and Chorus Men and laugh at our tears.
We're bound to always get Sonics, Mega Men, and Little Macs.

Morbi

Scavenger
Shulk is the main protagonist of a new, critically acclaimed series that is already getting a sequel soon.
Of course he is well known, just looking at the sales gets you nowhere. Do you realize how many people support Shulk without physically owning Xenoblade Chronicles? The amount might surprise you.

K Rool is even more recognizable, requested, and important than Shulk... so how could you compare either of them to Geno?

Geno is a Square Enix character in 1 game back on the SNES, who will likely never appear again.
It doesn't matter how much love and requests they get, they'll still be impossible. Which does not support what it appears you are trying to prove-- Sakurai doesn't give a **** who's requested and who isn't.

Mega Man is a 3rd party character that was both highly requested and made sense-- and he made it.
Sakurai isn't just going to throw in a bunch of WFTs and Chorus Men and laugh at our tears.
Shulk is prominent in Smash circles, I am sure that your average Smasher would be quite surprised to see his British ass in the game though.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

Yeah, as awesome as Geno is, in a franchise that has reoccorring characters, a guy who's had one major appearance and a cameo in Mario & Luigi has chances approaching zero.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand

But I WASN'T comparing them to Geno. I was saying that internet polls don't matter. I know Sonic gets brought up a lot but he's an industry icon. (And it always bugged me that it took a POLL for Sakurai to recognize how wanted he is.)

Saying Shulk is well known is absurd though. Do you really think people know who he is outside of your typical Smash site? I'm not doubting his inclusion, if only because of the leak, but the guy is as obscure as they come. If he gets in, his series will be the only one that didn't sell a million. There's a lot of Smash fans who aren't even following this game because they don't get on the internet. A friend who loves Smash pretty much asked me if Peach was in two weeks ago, his favorite character. There's no way they'll know about Shulk, a character from a very expensive game in the Wii's late life cycle.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Let's not talk about Palutena.
Also, lol, more Ridley denial.
If you're going to be like that, you don't deserve the Ridley in your sig. :p

And ignoring Palutena is getting you nowhere.
You're going to see a lot more of her when she's revealed. :p

@ Spinosaurus Spinosaurus

Did Mother sell a million?
Not trying to be a smart ass but...

Last edited:

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
I think the main reason people expect Shulk is because of the tweet that Sakurai sent out a while back during operation rainfall, where some games were localized in the US.

Sakurai_Monado_Tweet_8_30.jpg

At the very least, Sakurai knows about the game and character and considered him for Smash. Combine that with the new game that is coming out, and it looks pretty good.

I however, think his chances are grossly overestimated. Hes one of those characters that is very popular here on Smashboards, but he might be pretty unknown outside this place.

PlasmaPuffball

Smash Apprentice
Can someone explain why Geno is so popular to me? Super Mario RPG is one of my favorite games, but I honestly didn't like Geno much at all. I just thought he was an ugly doll thing. I just wanna know why a one-time character in a SNES game made by a 3rd party that happens to be a weird looking doll is so requested.

Morbi

Scavenger
Let's not talk about Palutena.
Also, lol, more Ridley denial.
Why is it denial, please elaborate? Again; the notion is subjective and arbitrary, one could assert that detractors are in denial (as they seem to believe that Ridley was confirmed to be a boss character without a confirmation, convenient). So your only choice is to essentially assert that your opinion is objective truth, something you have just done. Care to explain?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
If you're going to be like that, you don't deserve the Ridley in your sig. :p

And ignoring Palutena is getting you nowhere.
You're going to see a lot more of her when she's revealed. :p

@ Spinosaurus Spinosaurus

Did Mother sell a million?
Not trying to be a smart *** but...
Apparently, it did. So yep. I don't think Mother really ever undersold, especially if it warranted 3 games. Itoi's reasoning for not wanting another Mother is because he thinks the series doesn't need a new entry, not because of sales.

Ice Climbers is iffy, though. I DON'T know, but considering it's an NES game, where pretty much most of them sold a million, it's safe to assume it did.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Can someone explain why Geno is so popular to me? Super Mario RPG is one of my favorite games, but I honestly didn't like Geno much at all. I just thought he was an ugly doll thing. I just wanna know why a one-time character in a SNES game made by a 3rd party that happens to be a weird looking doll is so requested.
Brawl speculation was quite the absurd time, from what I hear.

People expected a lot of things that they had no right expecting.
Some Brawl speculators were pretty much out of their mind.

I would imagine it had to do with Super Mario RPG's release on Virtual Console, though.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I think the main reason people expect Shulk is because of the tweet that Sakurai sent out a while back during operation rainfall, where some games were localized in the US.

View attachment 15252

At the very least, Sakurai knows about the game and character and considered him for Smash. Combine that with the new game that is coming out, and it looks pretty good.

I however, think his chances are grossly overestimated. Hes one of those characters that is very popular here on Smashboards, but he might be pretty unknown outside this place.
That tweet alone doesn't benefit Shulk's chances by much. The main reason for supporting because of the huge, beyond amazing merits it has for a series with the great all-around gameplay, music, and graphics, it's whay I think that Sakurai could bring the Xeno franchise as one of the greatest Nintendo series ever created.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Also I feel like a good reasoning to add Shulk in is because he's the main character of a new, niche IP that Nintendo and Monolith Soft clearly wants to expand. Smash is a good way to promote that.

The fact that he's obscure doesn't really hurt his chances, since I personally think popularity and relevancy only applies to already established and popular series, unless they're an established Smash character themselves for being added during their prime days. (Sheik)

Last edited:

wafflini

Smash Apprentice
I think Ridley will be confirmed as a stage hazard, but then also be a hidden character. Relaxalax did a really good video about that on youtube.

andimidna

Smash Master
Shulk is prominent in Smash circles, I am sure that your average Smasher would be quite surprised to see his British *** in the game though.
Eh. The Gematsu Leak helped spread awareness of Shulk.
Similar, but to a lesser extent, to the Palutena leak resulting in her supporters multiplying.

If the average Smasher isn't speculating at all, I don't see why I should care about them. Smash Bros has introduced Nintendo fans to numerous new series. And I don't see any Shulk-less rosters anymore... anywhere(ok i've seen 1). I just watched a couple Youtube videos and it looks like people who talk about Smash there see the top 3 as Palutena, Chrom, and Shulk (could have been luck of the draw). I saw it more often than you'd think.
And of course, nobody gave any evidence to back anything up except the person who made the video.

I'm pretty sure he was one of the 10 most common requests I saw back when I was on Miiverse too...
I can't help but believe he's also very popular amongst "casual fans" or whatever people call them.

The only characters left that can be described by "basically everybody knows them" would be Ridley, K Rool, a bunch of Mario characters with no chance, a bunch of Pokemon with no chance, Pac-Man, and a bunch of 3rd party characters with no chance. Since this isn't Brawl where Sakurai still had to get all of the major Nintendo characters in the game before he added some surprises, I don't see Shulk as some sort of pipe-dream.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
If the average Smasher isn't speculating at all, I don't see why I should care about them.
Maybe you, but in a marketing standpoint, the Smash fanbase goes way beyond your average forum goers.

Let's face it, WE'RE the minority, these guys are the majority.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
If the average Smasher isn't speculating at all, I don't see why I should care about them. Smash Bros has introduced Nintendo fans to numerous new series. And I don't see any Shulk-less rosters anymore... anywhere(ok i've seen 1).
Have you seen my roster?

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
That tweet alone doesn't benefit Shulk's chances by much. The main reason for supporting because of the huge, beyond amazing merits it has for a series with the great all-around gameplay, music, and graphics, it's whay I think that Sakurai could bring the Xeno franchise as one of the greatest Nintendo series ever created.
I was merely pointing out evidence that shows Sakurai is aware of Shulks existance. While he does have a lot of merits, such as the ones you suggested, I believe his chances are grossly overestimated. That being said, he still has a good chance (and I do want him to be in.)

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
How is there more evidence for Ridley as playable than a boss? We all agree that it was his shadow when Sakurai said there are more bosses. If Ridley wasn't a boss he would've shown someone else when he said that.
Yes, the implication is definitely there. But Sakurai is quite the troll. It's very possible that he's toying with us (again) to lower hopes for Ridley being playable, only to reveal him in a grand fashion later on. There's also a number of things regarding Ridley's shadow, movements, and the Pyrosphere itself that are rather suspicious, which many people interpret as indications that Ridley will be playable.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The lack of Captain Falcon, his abs, his punch, & knee of justice is very disturbing.....I hope his appearance isn't the same as in Brawl.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Geno may be a bad choice, but I've seen worse choices in the forms of Palutena, Roy, Shulk, Krystal, etc. But, I swear to Mewtwo, if he gets in over Black Mage...
@ Morbi Morbi I'm referring to the fact that the majority of his fan base are in denial that Ridley has been deconfirmed.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Shulk is prominent in Smash circles, I am sure that your average Smasher would be quite surprised to see his British *** in the game though.
If I were Sakurai, I'd make Shulk's taunt have him putting down his Manodo, sitting down at a small table, and having some tea. He then says, "Pip pip cheerio," and then hops back into battle.
And that's the reason I don't work at Nintendo.

Seriously? Another Geno discussion? It's simple, Geno will never be in Super Smash Bros! He would be a terrible representative for Square Enix.
The only way I could see him actually getting in would be if Sakurai immediately chose him very early on in development due to his Brawl-time popularity.
But that is unlikely.

andimidna

Smash Master
Geno may be a bad choice, but I've seen worse choices in the forms of Palutena, Roy, Shulk, Krystal, etc. But, I swear to Mewtwo, if he gets in over Black Mage...
@ Morbi Morbi I'm referring to the fact that the majority of his fan base are in denial that Ridley has been reconfirmed.
Ew. Reading your opinions give me the same facial expression as when I eat a lemon.

But I have been wanting to ask you this for a while--- why the hell do you hate Palutena so much?? What is there to hate?
They didn't make her a controversial character at all. A risky character that could have either been very loved or very hated. She was made likeable, but Nintendo hasn't been pushing her like they have for other characters.
Seriously-- what is there to hate?
She funny-- has a good personality.
She's cute-- has a good design.
She's epic-- has a good boss fight.
Where along the lines did you begin to hate her? What is it that you can hate? She's hilarious! They made her a likeable character on purpose. It's not like you could hate her for her voice, like people do with Daisy, or for her design, like people do with Barbara, or her personality, like people do with Fi. Same with Shulk, what's not to like?
I can understand Roy, he was an obscure clone that suddenly everybody loves just because he was in Melee, and I think some of that might come from you liking Leif. And I get Krystal too, some of her fans obsess over her body and it's pretty gross, but even then, it's not the character. Roy's character wasn't bad either (pretty neutral IMO).
So, please, explain why you hate them.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
To me, Xenoblade is the RPG of the century. To the criticism, it's the RPG of the year. A game that would never come to America if wasn't for operation rainfall. Now can you see how it's important for the gamer community? And it's a nintendo game. It became too important that they are making another game that want to have at least Xenoblade's soul.
How wouldn't nintendo promote a game that got this huge cultural status? To me, Shulk is totally in. And Shulk is the only character that I'd be upset if he is not in.

Last edited:

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero

View attachment 15252

Proof?

I see lots of comments on Xenoblade music track videos wanting Shulk in Smash. ...Not sure if that means anything.

Monolith Soft character, Xenoblade being a relatively new IP, great game in my opinion...

"X" also seems to be a spiritual successor to Xenoblade. Might actually even be directly related to the game's story. (not sure, though)

I'd love Shulk in Smash. And Xenoblade content in general.
Can't say I know what his chances are, though. Maybe 20%?

----

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
@ Morbi Morbi I'm referring to the fact that the majority of his fan base are in denial that Ridley has been deconfirmed.
Why is it denial, please elaborate? Again; the notion is subjective and arbitrary, one could assert that detractors are in denial (as they seem to believe that Ridley was confirmed to be a boss character without a confirmation, convenient). So your only choice is to essentially assert that your opinion is objective truth, something you have just done. Care to explain?
Again. Read. Or better yet, prove to me that what you state is a fact. It is a baseless claim, or the base does not correlate with the conclusion.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Basically, if you think Ridley is confirmed, you should probably be a little more cautious.

If you think Ridley is disconfirmed, you should probably be a little more cautious.

Thing is, that Ridley cannot, I repeat cannot be shown as playable based on shadows and mirrors. Sure, it's evident that he was revealed in a section about Bosses, and yeah the shadows are debatably sketchy (I don't believe so, but that's irrelevant). But right now, there's no way to prove one way or the other. So wait until E3 to get the news of what he truly is in Smash 4.

Until then, everybody should probably stop making affirmative and definitive claims like "He's playable" or "He's a boss". Nobody can prove either side.

(FRANKLY, I think if he's shown as a boss at E3, it should be over and done with. But it probably won't be)

Last edited:

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
I can't prove this, but this may have been something that brought Xenoblade to Sakurais attention, which I can prove based on the tweet and picture. Shulk then could have been brought to his attention by extension.

I am, however, very positive that there is a large considerations process in which the development team has a large roster of potential additions,much larger than the finished roster. The team then cuts down the roster bit by bit until we get to the final roster. Again, I dont have proof of this, but a consideration process usually takes place in all games development.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I can't prove this, but this may have been something that brought Shulk to Sakurais attention, which I can prove based on the tweet and picture.

I am, however, very positive that there is a large considerations process in which the development team has a large roster of potential additions,much larger than the finished roster. The team then cuts down the roster bit by bit until we get to the final roster. Again, I dont have proof of this, but a consideration process usually takes place in all games development.
Or it brought Xenoblade to his attention.

To me, Xenoblade is the RPG of the century. To the criticism, it's the RPG of the year. A game that would never come to America if wasn't for operation rainfall. Now can you see how it's important for the gamer community? And it's a nintendo game. It became too important that they are making another game that want to have at least Xenoblade's soul.
How wouldn't nintendo promote a game that got this huge cultural status? To me, Shulk is totally in. And Shulk is the only character that I'd be upset if he is not in.
I had forgotten about Operation Rainfall, I suppose I have been severely underrating his chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom