• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think Shulk's chances are severely underrated by plenty of people, mainly on the basis that he's only been in one obscure game. But he's much different from any swordsman really, and has plenty of gameplay options.

Not to mention the Xenoblade content he would bring with him. The music and possible stages are fantastic.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I'd be content with King K. Rool and Mewtwo. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Paper Mario but I seriously doubt his inclusion sadly. I have, Villager, Charizard, Ike, Greninja, and Rosalina so I'm already eager to see how they fair in battle in this Smash. I also am looking forwards to seeing buffs to characters like: Mario, Samus, and Link.

I previously thought Dixie deserved to be in Smash more than K. Rool, but I think it's a little more important that we see the main antagonist of most of the series. Dixie plays a big role as a supporting character, but if we really go there, we have Diddy Kong, who plays an even bigger role. Now, I'm not saying Dixie would be a clone but rather I'm comparing their roles in the DK series. Heck, I'd love to see both K. Rool and Dixie.

There is more evidence that Ridley is a boss than playable. It's just a little fishy that he wasn't revealed so I can see why some think it's hinting that he is playable.

Morbi

Scavenger
I'd be content with King K. Rool and Mewtwo. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Paper Mario but I seriously doubt his inclusion sadly. I have, Villager, Charizard, Ike, Greninja, and Rosalina so I'm already eager to see how they fair in battle in this Smash. I also am looking forwards to seeing buffs to characters like: Mario, Samus, and Link.

I previously thought Dixie deserved to be in Smash more than K. Rool, but I think it's a little more important that we see the main antagonist of most of the series. Dixie plays a big role as a supporting character, but if we really go there, we have Diddy Kong, who plays an even bigger role. Now, I'm not saying Dixie would be a clone but rather I'm comparing their roles in the DK series. Heck, I'd love to see both K. Rool and Dixie.

There is more evidence that Ridley is a boss than playable. It's just a little fishy that he wasn't revealed so I can see why some think it's hinting that he is playable.
Would you care to support your statement, evaluate the evidence? If I recall correctly, the only evidence against Ridley was an ambiguous allusion. Perhaps I am missing something? I am being completely genuine. I am curious as I honestly believe there to only be one notion that opposes his inclusion (again, the allusion).

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
No. But I have wondered what your roster was. Can you post it?
I don't think it was that long ago since I last posted it, but whatever. Here's my most recent, yet visually outdated, roster.

Wish Roster.png

In regards to why I don't have Shulk on here; I just ran out of room. I suppose he would be the 51st character if there was one, but as it is now, I believe the other characters I have on my roster to be higher priorities than Shulk.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Would you care to support your statement, evaluate the evidence? If I recall correctly, the only evidence against Ridley was an ambiguous allusion. Perhaps I am missing something? I am being completely genuine. I am curious as I honestly believe there to only be one notion that opposes his inclusion (again, the allusion).
http://www.neoseeker.com/news/23688...day-reveals-metroid-other-m-pyrosphere-stage/
Not saying this disconfirms Ridley, but it is going against his inclusion. And of course we saw more in the direct. I haven't played too much of Other M, but I've heard it's Ridley that you fight in the Pyrosphere.

Morbi

Scavenger

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
It is humorous as that is also evidence for his inclusion. So weird :crazy:.
Right, on one end Sakurai's quote could indeed be hinting towards playability. On the other end, maybe the picture was hinting towards a boss character which was later confirmed during the Direct. In my opinion, it sounds like the latter. Especially with the wording of the quote, however I'm not ruling out that he's disconfirmed.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
http://www.neoseeker.com/news/23688...day-reveals-metroid-other-m-pyrosphere-stage/
Not saying this disconfirms Ridley, but it is going against his inclusion. And of course we saw more in the direct. I haven't played too much of Other M, but I've heard it's Ridley that you fight in the Pyrosphere.
I think its best we leave it as it is. Everyone will come up with different answers because we all interpret evidence differently. There's no way to tell until we have a guaranteed fact. I just hope no one becomes bitter over his inclusion/deconfirmation, I.e "I knew he never had a chance! Anyone who thought he wasnt deconfirmed is a MORON" when in reality it could have gone either way.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I think its best we leave it as it is. Everyone will come up with different answers because we all interpret evidence differently. There's no way to tell until we have a guaranteed fact. I just hope no one becomes bitter over his inclusion/deconfirmation, I.e "I knew he never had a chance! Anyone who thought he wasnt deconfirmed is a MORON" when in reality it could have gone either way.
I want to agree with you; however, I am far too biased. If I am wrong, I will certainly admit the error of my ways (and probably leave Smashboards forever out of humiliation), but I am still fairly confident that he is all but confirmed. I do not even need the confirmation as it is utterly obvious. I was correct about a lot of things, I had less "evidence" to go on at those times too, I do not need evidence if I have logic. It is hard not to make arbitrary assertions when you are absolutely certain of something.

D

Deleted member

I just hope no one becomes bitter over his inclusion/deconfirmation, I.e "I knew he never had a chance! Anyone who thought he wasnt deconfirmed is a MORON" when in reality it could have gone either way.
Its pretty much going to happen either way with all the heated stuff surrounding him.

In fact, it applies to every requested character.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Its pretty much going to happen either way with all the heated stuff surrounding him.

In fact, it applies to every requested character.
Unfortunately yes, I know this will happen.

I want to agree with you; however, I am far too biased. If I am wrong, I will certainly admit the error of my ways (and probably leave Smashboards forever out of humiliation), but I am still fairly confident that he is all but confirmed. I do not even need the confirmation as it is utterly obvious. I was correct about a lot of things, I had less "evidence" to go on at those times too, I do not need evidence if I have logic. It is hard not to make arbitrary assertions when you are absolutely certain of something.
If you are so certain, I will let you be certain. If You are willing to take responsibility, then by all means, believe what you want to believe. I actually wish I was as confident as you were, being an advocate for Ridleys inclusion, however, from what we have seen, I cannot make a full decision. Im not going to get my hopes up, that way if hes deconfirmed, I wont be disappointed, and if hes confirmed, I can be pleasantly surprised.

D

Deleted member

Well if our wanted characters aren't confirmed to be playable for SSB4...there will eventually be mods people will make. Who knows, maybe it'll even be better than Brawl's!

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Well if our wanted characters aren't confirmed to be playable for SSB4...there will eventually be mods people will make. Who knows, maybe it'll even be better than Brawl's!
Yeah, we could also change the color of our characters and pretend they are the actual character :p
Miis are going to be hype im telling ya :p :p

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Right, on one end Sakurai's quote could indeed be hinting towards playability. On the other end, maybe the picture was hinting towards a boss character which was later confirmed during the Direct. In my opinion, it sounds like the latter. Especially with the wording of the quote, however I'm not ruling out that he's disconfirmed.
I would be with you. But Relax Alax's video really explained things well for me. I really do believe we will see Ridley at E3. Ot would be the ultimate way to produce hype. http://youtu.be/nEcabFkhpa8

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
I honestly think saying anything was "ambiguous" when it comes to how Ridley was shown is denial itself. :p I don't know 100% what his status is, but as he was shown during a segment talking about boss characters on stages, and the words "boss characters make appearances in other stages, not just this one" were said as Ridley's shadow was shown, it seems pretty clear cut he's not a playable character. Why didn't Sakurai show him? Because not everyone knows who Ridley is and Sakurai wants to save some surprises.

You can claim all day long that Sakurai is trolling the fans, but honestly that seems a little bit cruel, even by his standards.

(Please note, I'm really not being mean, but I do think that anyone still thinking he has a good shot at being playable after that is letting bias get in the way. He may still have a shot, but it's very small if anything.)

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
So the last pages about ridley are basically the reason I don't explain it anymore how you can't prove either side with facts because there's double meaning. Can we just wait 8 days and THEN crash smashboard?

(no seriously I'd rather talk about how the number of mario rep doesn't determine character's chances than this).

Zwzchow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zwzchow8
3DS FC
1805-3193-2658
Speaking of Ridley, can someone link me to the post with all the photos with the shadows of Ridley in Pyrosphere?
Cuz IF there is clearly 4 characters on the stage with Ridley's shadows...then isn't he straight up disconfirmed?

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Just look closely at some Pyrosphere pics. There are some with Ridley's shadows.
Well at least it's a new stage ._.
There are some Ridley shadows in other pics ? That's the first time I read that. You sure about it or maybe you're mistaking with shadows of other characters on the pyrosphere stage ?

Maxilian

Smash Ace
So the last pages about ridley are basically the reason I don't explain it anymore how you can't prove either side with facts because there's double meaning. Can we just wait 8 days and THEN crash smashboard?

(no seriously I'd rather talk about how the number of mario rep doesn't determine character's chances than this).
8 DAYS?! :drflip: That's way too much time! we have to crash smashboard NOW! :drohyou:

Just look closely at some Pyrosphere pics. There are some with Ridley's shadows.
Well at least it's a new stage ._.
We have only 1 picture with Ridley's shadow, so... i don't know what you're talking about :drshrug:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Well i guess mushroom kingdom u means no bowser castle stage, unless it's from Mario kart.

Zwzchow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zwzchow8
3DS FC
1805-3193-2658
There are some Ridley shadows in other pics ? That's the first time I read that. You sure about it or maybe you're mistaking with shadows of other characters on the pyrosphere stage ?
I did remember seeing an entire post (Pro-Ridley) about where did it appear (On pyrosphere). Can't remember where is it from (I think it's from the Ridley thread)
Trying to find it now

Part 2 shadow analyze

Part 2 of the shadow analysis: Before we start, I would like to address one more thing out of Part 1:

HE DECONFIRMED RIDLEY!

When the footage was shown in the Yellow Devil section, he never mentioned Ridley as another boss; He only heavily implied so.

He also deconfirms characters without beating around the bush, as with Waluigi, Ashley, Dillon, Wonder Red ...

Sakurai:
"The Wonderful 100!! We also made trophies of some of the other Wonderful Ones."

There's a precedence of deconfirming characters directly. Ridley was not directly deconfirmed, so his chances still remain high.

Anyhow, onto the second part.

HE'S HUGE!
Yeah, about that...
Okay, yeah, it DOES looks huge, but his shadow doesn't cover the central platform with the little pegs there.

Why is that relevant? Well, look at this picture.
His shadow is not as big as the center platform, which means he is smaller than he lets on.

Plus, his wings give off the illusion that his body is enormous.

But if we take some measurements...
We can see that his wingspan far exceeds his body.

And if we exclude the wings of the shadow picture above:

Wow, that's so much smaller.

And another thing:

the shadow does stretch out at points, so its an illusion to make Ridley much larger than he appears to be:

Not only is the shadow much larger, but the bottom is really stretched.

HE'S A BOSS CHARACTER, NOT A PLAYABLE CHARACTER!
Possible, but the exact quote was:
"Boss characters makes appearances in other stages, not just this one."

Why say boss characters?

I mean, these guys are/were bosses in their own games at some point, and they're characters.
Yes, even good ol' DK. So we can't rule out vague diction.

Another point against him being a boss: Did you notice Pikachu actually escapes Ridley?

Now this was a few moments before Ridley started flying again.

So how did Pikachu escape without any struggle? He was definitely not struggling.
According to the wiki on grabs, if your damage is at 0%, you can escape without struggle in about six seconds.

But the absolute weirdest sign is that just before the footage fade out, he may have jumped.
View attachment 12399

Compare with Brawl Ridley(s). Their movement is so smooth and well-telegraphed, much like most bosses in other games.

Compare with shadow footage Ridley. His movement is so jerky, much like how every character throughout the Smash Bros. series moves.

For all we know, that quote could mean anything.

SIZE COMPARISON

Alright, let's start with the most important thing in my opinion: his hand and tail.
Pictured: Ridley's hand.

Pictured: Ridley's tail. (Estimated)

Because these shadows are on a wall, the only thing that can distort it is a zoom in effect on the picture. But since the shadows mostly stay true to the size of the characters, these are at least 80% accurate to actual size, in my opinion.

And it took me a while, but I found a another character shadow on the pillar, Donkey Kong.

At 2:29, look at the pillar, slow down the video, and don't blink.

That's my estimate, but I'm probably off on the fill in, so keep that in mind.

Ridley's tail is no where near Donkey Kong's height. It is most likely only 1/2 ish of Donkey Kong's height.

and his hand is only 1/6 of Donkey Kong's height.

Onto the hand!
Picture A: Ridley's size in Other M.
Picture B: angel glory's resized Ridley holding Samus.

Judging by the hand picture, if we increase the size of the hand shadow by a few knuckles, doing so would most likely yield Ridley's size from Picture B.
As for his tail, it's most likely this size:

Left: This is the size of Ridley's tail in Other M as compared to Samus.

Right: This is the estimated size of Ridley's tail in Sm4sh as compared to Pikachu.

Next up his head:

his head is right there and my estimates are correct by his head size and kirbys shadow (which will be a little lower on this post)
is 2/3 or 1/2 ridleys head

And now the best part of them all: Body comparisons!
Okay, I gathered a few pictures of as many character's shadows as possible. (If you want to help me with this part, you can find me some full shadow pictures of other characters that aren't being covered by other obstructing/obscuring objects.)

As I mentioned earlier, Ridley's wings make him look a lot bigger, so for estimation purposes, I excluded the wings for size comparison. Also keep in mind that these aren't 100% perfect.

Heeeeeere we go

Charizard

Source:
at 2:01

Kirby

Source:
Go to 1:25
(Don't blink and you will see it. This took me many attempts to get this one.)

Zero Suit Samus (And by extension, Samus)

Source:
http://smashbros-miiverse.com/
you will see it under the correct categorys

Greninja

(this one was Really tough)

See Charizard for the source, and go to 1:38.

(With a keen eye, you can see Greninja's shadow)

Rosalina
(This is by far the most useful for arguments, because Rosalina and Bowser are almost the exact same height.)

(yes I know because of how she is its the best I can do)

Rosalina is almost as large as Ridley's whole body!

Source:
Go to 2:18.

(but if you guys/girls not commenced by this see if you can get me a better Rosalina shadow)

Ok Bowser is next

The Next picture is where the shadow is.
(picture by @majora_787)

So, with this now without a further ado. Here is the pin points.

Blue, & Green, = shadow positions.

Red, & Yellow, = Approximate measurement of the shadow over here.

Hehehe look at that "Bowsers shadow is almost as big as Ridleys."

Source:
http://smashbros-miiverse.com/
you will see it under the correct categorys

And going back to Rosalina's shadow.

Like I Said Rosalina, & Bowser Are Almost the same Height

and now the best for last

I did Mother Brain, but I did Ridley's shadow points instead.

(The green dot is on the other size because that's his foot. And since Pikachu is on the other side, I need to use his other foot for reference.)

:crazy: Wait a Second Ridley shadow is smaller than mother brains

look at these

Ridley has always been bigger than Mother Brain, (Well, except for the NES, but Zero Mission retconned that) so why is Mother Brain's shadow now bigger than Ridley's?
well that's what I got you want more you can help for finding more shadows of other characters or better pictures or mention anything I missed I will post it for a part 3 (sectioned missed arguments)

so what are you thoughts

link to part 1
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...ii-u-3ds-thread.324284/page-636#post-16727842]
ah here you go he just mentioned that there are tons of pics of Pyrosphere with Ridley's shadow (Not just in Direct)

Last edited by a moderator:

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
ah here you go he just mentioned that there are tons of pics of Pyrosphere with Ridley's shadow (Not just in Direct)
Wait, what?

You do realize that Ridley's shadow doesn't actually appear in those pics, right? He's just comparing its size to the shadows of other characters to make an estimate on Ridley's size.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I find it kind of hilarious that we're so close to release, and yet we've had a grand total of one Metroid stage. Absolutely nothing on 3DS.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I find it kind of hilarious that we're so close to release, and yet we've had a grand total of one Metroid stage. Absolutely nothing on 3DS.
That's more than Donkey Kong, Kirby, and Star Fox can claim.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
I would really like an Air Ride stage along with some sort of pinball-esque stage. Waluigi Pinball, maybe?

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
Just curious, how mad would you guys be if there were NO character confirmations (newcomer or veteran) at e3?

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Kinda mad?

It doesn't mean there are no more new characters, just that there are unlockables (Which Sakurai felt like not marketing or promoting for raisins)

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Corneria or some variety of beating people on top of the great fox will exist.

....when did this become the official stage discussion thread?

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
Just curious, how mad would you guys be if there were NO character confirmations (newcomer or veteran) at e3?
I would be almost furious to be honest, considering what Sakurai has shown before at past E3's. No character confirmations...perhaps I'm over exaggerating, but that would be blasphemy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom