• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman
So... apparently a developer over at Next Level Games has tweeted a reminder to tune into tomorrow's Nintendo Direct. For those of you not in the know, Next Level Games is best known for Luigi's Mansion, Mario Strikers, and... Punch-Out.
Striker Waluigi, Little Mac, and Polterpup confirmed.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Isn't the direct tomorrow, not Friday?
Yeah, sorry about that, I misunderstood.

@Groose
Punch Out?
Did you say Punch Out?
Punch Out? PUNCH OUT? PUNCH OUT!!
If we get a new Punch Out game, I will be one happy camper, let me tell you.

@ Mega Bidoof Mega Bidoof
You ever think the idea was scrapped for a reason?
Maybe because it's a stupid one.[/quote]

Last edited:

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
So... apparently a developer over at Next Level Games has tweeted a reminder to tune into tomorrow's Nintendo Direct. For those of you not in the know, Next Level Games is best known for Luigi's Mansion, Mario Strikers, and... Punch-Out.
New Game or Little Mac confirmed?

Coincidence? I can't tell.

Last edited:

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
For those curious, the link for where Sakurai talks about Dixie/Diddy is here. It's entirely in Japanese though.
It doesn't really matter now though, diddy is established in the smash series so why change him by tagging on a second character and why dixie they only teamed up in one game, to be honest it makes more sense to have a donkey/diddy tag team

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
"
 In fact, Diddy Kong was going to put out a pair and Dixie Kong. Replace instantly two people by touching
by creating a system Ruyo. But I've cut and early if there is a difficult part in various ways. We chose the Diddy Kong
because there was much popular is said to be surprised it does not compete but rather. Interesting was also movement.
This is Jin efforts motion designer you can. You are able to express well how the Rashiku monkey, trotting here and there, and
where you fall down to the opponent by throwing the leather of banana Nantes, probably want Konikurashiku?
 The impatience of the free jet barrel panic does not work Dano fu cut the last barrel in the "Donkey Kong 64"
I have to recreate the feeling of jet operation. Is there any other things that lead to "Bange ring bay" (laughs)"

Okay, so it's not that the team wasn't interested, it's that the team tried to work it but it didn't just work. This does also bring back something that I think people over-estimate and under-estimate which is technical difficulties.

I have a feeling they might be a major boundary even more than Brawl; mainly because of the 3DS version

inb4 people interpret this as a ridley post

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Once Sakurai tweets about the direct, that's when we know we're getting something. So watch out for that for the rest of tonight and tomorrow morning.

At this point, the possibilities are:

Diddy Kong
Dixie Kong
K.Rool (because Donkey Kong)
Little Mac (because Next Level Games)
Palutena (because leak)

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Wouldn't read that much into it as far as Super Smash Bros. is concerned. Probably will wind up being that Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon HD port that has been floating on the internet for awhile.

Also, Diddy Kong and Dixie Kong simultaneous reveals for Valentines Day.

Last edited:

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Once Sakurai tweets about the direct, that's when we know we're getting something. So watch out for that for the rest of tonight and tomorrow morning.

Diddy Kong
Dixie Kong
Palutena (because leak)
I bet it's none of them just to **** with us

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Wouldn't read that much into it as far as Super Smash Bros. is concerned. Probably will wind up being that Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon HD port that has been floating on the internet for awhile.

Also, Diddy Kong and Dixie Kong simultaneous reveals for Valentines Day.
...my god. I didn't even think about that. Watch that actually be the reveal now.

I wouldn't mind Luigi's Mansion HD. That might be solid.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I don't even care if Next Level's tweet is about Smash Bros.
I really want a new Punch Out.
That being said I wouldn't be surprised if we do get a Punch Out announcement to get a Mac trailer directly (no pun intended) after.

@ Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones
I doubt Valentine's Day is too big in Japan...
Right?

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
But yes, if Dixie was in fact a part of Diddy Kong as a tag team, the two would have to be revealed together at the same time.
One word. Shiek.
Luigi's Mansion U
Mario Strikers U
Or Lunch-Out U?
Which would you rather have.
I'd take Luigi's Mansion, as long as it has a more "Mansion 1 tone" to it.
Dark Moon just seemed too happy in contrast to the first one.

Or maybe they are reviving another series.
Considering they seem to be into the action-type games, I'd put my money on Takamaru.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team

Diddy Kong
Dixie Kong
Palutena (because leak)
I'd bet on Diddy Kong before newcomers but hey, hype exists, and Toon Link was revealed before Link

I'm not totally sure on Newcomer - from the sound of it this direct isn't that big, but on the other hand we haven't had a spur of newcomers. We're 2/3rd's of the way there to the next E3, so a newcomer wouldn't be bad.

...actually while writing this post I think a newcomer would be good.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
...my god. I didn't even think about that. Watch that actually be the reveal now.

I wouldn't mind Luigi's Mansion HD. That might be solid.
Considering I have yet to get Dark Moon on the 3DS, I'd probably pass it up for an HD port. I'm not going to hype myself up for this Direct until Sakurai retweets the announcement.

We could get Diddy Kong this morning, which would be Thursday in Japan; and a newcomer tonight, which would be Friday in Japan.

Last edited:

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
I'd bet on Diddy Kong before newcomers but hey, hype exists, and Toon Link was revealed before Link

I'm not totally sure on Newcomer - from the sound of it this direct isn't that big, but on the other hand we haven't had a spur of newcomers. We're 2/3rd's of the way there to the next E3, so a newcomer wouldn't be bad.

...actually while writing this post I think a newcomer would be good.
Wait what toon link wasn't revealed before link, do you mean zelda?

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
One word. Shiek.
Sheik is not visible at all times when you are using Zelda, it would safe to assume that this is not the case for a Tag-Team as both members would need to be visible at all times for them to be a team.

Hence why Dixie and Diddy would have to be revealed together to be a team, it follows the same logic the Ice Climbers, Pokemon Trainer, Pikmin & Olimar, and Rosalina & Luma appear together. They're all teams. Zelda / Sheik and Samus / Zero Suit are not teams.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
A tag team is a lot different than a swap out character. Revealing a duo like that seperately is counter-intuitive.
Sorry, I misunderstood what you meant by tag-team.
In wrestling terms, a tag-team means two fighters that switch out. One is in the battle, and one is standing on the side if the ring. When the fighter wants to switch out, he "tags" the waiting fighter, which swaps their positions.

Is really, a tag-team should be what Zelda & Shiek are called.
When two characters are always on the screen like Ice Climbers, I simply call them, "Ice Climber-like characters."

Sheik is not visible at all times when you are using Zelda, it would safe to assume that this is not the case for a Tag-Team as both members would need to be visible at all times for them to be a team.

Hence why Dixie and Diddy would have to be revealed together to be a team, it follows the same logic the Ice Climbers, Pokemon Trainer, Pikmin & Olimar, and Rosalina & Luma appear together. They're all teams. Zelda / Sheik and Samus / Zero Suit are not teams.
Above.
Speaking of Pokémon Trainer, I don't know how he will be on the website.
Since he is 3 full-fledged characters in one, I'd think that all three website pages get added to the website on the day of the reveal.

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
this. Sometimes I question how much people here have played Donkey Kong Country. Seriously?

It wouldn't be an easy mechanic to do. I mean, it's not impossible either, but ever think it's more effort than it's worth? Especially when Diddy's already in Brawl?

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Sorry, I misunderstood what you meant by tag-team.
In wrestling terms, a tag-team means two fighters that switch out. One is in the battle, and one is standing on the side if the ring. When the fighter wants to switch out, he "tags" the waiting fighter, which swaps their positions.

Is really, a tag-team should be what Zelda & Shiek are called.
When two characters are always on the screen like Ice Climbers, I simply call them, "Ice Climber-like characters."
Even with this sence of logic, Dixie would need to be shown in the background. So either way you're kinda wrong.
Sheik isn't in the background of the stage when Zelda fights, they're not a tag-team because they aren't serparate beings.

Speaking of Pokémon Trainer, I don't know how he will be on the website.
Since he is 3 full-fledged characters in one, I'd think that all three website pages get added to the website on the day of the reveal.
It will probably work like it did in Brawl, which is one character page for the four of them.

Which is to be expected.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
That would be so adorable.

If I wasn't on board would them as a duo before (and I was) I would be now!
Well, not necessarily a duo, but both characters individually revealed over the next two days.

Also, Soroya Saga just retweeted the direct announcement. Guess we'll be seeing X tomorrow. Shulk's stock is about to go up again.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Even with this sence of logic, Dixie would need to be shown in the background. So either way you're kinda wrong.
Sheik isn't in the background of the stage when Zelda fights, they're not a tag-team because they aren't serparate beings.
It will probably work like it did in Brawl, which is one character page for the four of them.

Which is to be expected.
That wasn't really my point....
I meant that a tag-team is a swapping team of fighters. In Smash terms, it is two characters that swap out (Zelda & Shiek, Pokémon Trainer)
So if they are on a "tag-team" Dixie could just come in from a vine or just fall in.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Well, not necessarily a duo, but both characters individually revealed over the next two days.

Also, Soroya Saga just retweeted the direct announcement. Guess we'll be seeing X tomorrow. Shulk's stock is about to go up again.
Sooo...
Is Shulk a possibility for tomorrow as well?
I don't think it will happen, but I suppose it's possible.

ALRIGHT GUYS. LET'S DO THIS.
Place your bets, who's it going to be.
#TeamKRool
Because I'm a risk-taker like that.

Last edited:

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
One word. Shiek.

Luigi's Mansion U
Mario Strikers U
Or Lunch-Out U?
Which would you rather have.
I'd take Luigi's Mansion, as long as it has a more "Mansion 1 tone" to it.
Dark Moon just seemed too happy in contrast to the first one.

Or maybe they are reviving another series.
Considering they seem to be into the action-type games, I'd put my money on Takamaru.
Mario Strikers please. Best Mario sports game around.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I meant that a tag-team is a swapping team of fighters. In Smash terms, it is two characters that swap out (Zelda & Shiek, Pokémon Trainer)
So if they are on a "tag-team" Dixie could just come in from a vine or just fall in.
Pokemon Trainer is an example of a Tag-Team.

But Zelda and Sheik are the same person, and so "they" can't swap out with one another. Much like Samus/ZSS, Zelda/Sheik would constitute a simple transformation.

If the inspiration is DKC, a Diddy-Dixie duo would most closely resemble the Ice Climbers, in that both individuals are onscreen at once; except that unlike the IC, you can switch between Diddy and Dixie, who swap places between foreground and background (whereas you can't switch between Popo and Nana, as you only control Popo).

Last edited:

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Over Punch Out or Luigi's Mansion?
You've got to be kidding. I would be incredibly disappointed if this was the case.
Never really been a huge Punch-Out fan, and while I do love Luigi's Mansion, I vastly preferred the first one. The second one felt more like a collectathon to be honest. :ohwell:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077

Diddy Kong
Dixie Kong
Palutena (because leak)
Ridley (cause new metroid? it's been hinted)
whoever the new guy is (Miyamoto's new IP)

yeah, but yours are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more likely, I'm just putting these out there.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
ALRIGHT GUYS. LET'S DO THIS.
Place your bets, who's it going to be.
#TeamKRool
Because I'm a risk-taker like that.
Hmm, alright...I'm gonna go for Diddy.

Not risky enough? Alright Diddy AND Dixie. Not necessarily as a duo character.

You've got to be kidding. I would be incredibly disappointed if this was the case.
Eh, I can see a third strikers happening. The game's were pretty popular; anything with the Mario crew sells decently.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Eh, I can see a third strikers happening. The game's were pretty popular; anything with the Mario crew sells decently.
Seems to be the case. Pretty sure if Bubsy's developers made an exact copy of Bubsy 3D and put Mario instead of Bubsy, it still would have sold like hotcakes. Comes to show who would get that 5th slot first, eh?

Last edited:

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
I'm on the fence, it would be a huge coincidence to have it on the same day DKC comes out but diddy doesn't seem like nintendo direct material he's no luigi or sonic and he's not a newcomer, he just seems like a character we'd get in a pick of the day

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
That makes no sense for her to just appear like that and have Diddy just randomly disappear. If they were going to be a Tag-Team ala Donkey Kong Country 2, both of them would need to be visible together. Otherwise there is no point of having them be together in the first place if they're just going to switch out like Zelda and Sheik does.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Nintendo direct tomorrow. And Next Level Games tweeted about it.

Possible character reveals.

Diddy Kong
Dixie Kong
Diddy and Dixie tag team
King K Rool
Palutena
Little Mac
More than one of the above.

Would want the last option.

The trailer starts out with Mario in the boxing stage. Diddy Kong runs up to him. K Rool lands on the ground and walks towards them. Mario does a stopping motion at K Rool and reveal him wearing his refeer outfit. Little Mac jumps down. Gameplay Clips of Diddy, K Rool and Little Mac. It ends with the two newcomers begin to box with Diddy cheering.

Vez

Smash Apprentice
I know I wouldn't be. I prefer Mario Strikers to both of those and I love Punch-Out!! and Luigi's Mansion. Strikers Charged was easily some of the most fun I had on the Wii.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Strikers Charged is a lot of fun, but Luigi's my main man and Punch Out is one of my favorite games of all time.
So it's a no brainer which of the three I want the least.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Nintendo direct tomorrow. And Next Level Games tweeted about it.
>Two newcomers in one day

okay now we're going into unrealistic territory
I know I wouldn't be. I prefer Mario Strikers to both of those and I love Punch-Out!! and Luigi's Mansion. Strikers Charged was easily some of the most fun I had on the Wii.
I actually agree with you about Strikers and Strikers Charged. Those two are underrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom