• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Iwata is going to play a trailer. Gameplay is shown of Diddy Kong in Super Smash Bros along with a new Tropical Freeze stage. It will only last for about 15 seconds, everyone will be disappointed, and it will go to the credits... Until the screen freezes, and out pops King K. Rool, showing off his new redesign in Tropical Freeze; the trailer becomes all about him. Not only is King K. Rool confirmed for Super Smash Bros but also as a secret character in Tropical Freeze. BKupa breaks down into tears, Hoots nods approvingly, GAF crashes, and well go to bed happy -- except for Gamefaqs.
such a happy ending!

Last edited:

Groose

Smash Champion
Ah, crap. It's only a western direct. Not to mention it shows a picture of a 3DS. Sorry, guys. No newcomer. :crying:

The Direct is a WOLDWIDE Direct featuring Spring WII U AND 3DS games. It starts at 5PM EST, which is about 7AM Friday in Japan.

Last edited by a moderator:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
so, may I ask this again, nobody seemed to notice it. it's something I really want an answer to.
if yoshi did get revealed tomorrow for whatever reason, like some people are expecting, doesn't that mean we might expect a yoshi newcomer announced at the release date of yoshi's new island?

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I'm not holding out too much hope for a newcomer. So what's new here?
so, may I ask this again, nobody seemed to notice it. it's something I really want an answer to.
Possibly, but we'd need Yoshi first. Unless they feel like going Brawl on us (and even then, revealing Ike/Lucas before Ness/Marth was understandable)

pikachugamer21

Smash Journeyman
Iwata is going to play a trailer. Gameplay is shown of Diddy Kong in Super Smash Bros along with a new Tropical Freeze stage. It will only last for about 15 seconds, everyone will be disappointed, and it will go to the credits... Until the screen freezes, and out pops King K. Rool, showing off his new redesign in Tropical Freeze; the trailer becomes all about him. Not only is King K. Rool confirmed for Super Smash Bros but also as a secret character in Tropical Freeze. BKupa breaks down into tears, Hoots nods approvingly, GAF crashes, and we all go to bed happy -- except for Gamefaqs.
that would be the best nintendo direct ever

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Possibly, but we'd need Yoshi first. Unless they feel like going Brawl on us (and even then, revealing Ike/Lucas before Ness/Marth was understandable)
yeah, I know, I was saying if they revealed yoshi tomorrow instead of diddy for WHATEVER reason, would someone else from yoshi get confirmed on new island's release.

that means they wouldn't have anyone to promote yoshi's new island if yoshi's already confirmed. they might go with a newcomer

....and now I realize that's what you meant. yay me.

Maybe Yoshi will be revealed tomorrow and in the release date of New Island Sakurai shows one of Rosalina's special moves.
HAHAHA that's a good one! totally put it in my sig

Last edited:

Vez

Smash Apprentice
I really hope we don't get a Diddy + Dixie tag team. I'm worried. Somebody hold me. :[

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I really hope we don't get a Diddy + Dixie tag team. I'm worried. Somebody hold me. :[

They're comin' in for a hug

Many years prior to Smash 4 being even announced, we all had this theory. It was that AT characters, or a group of them, were all potential Newcomers for the next game. The characters were simply not being included this round, but were on Sakurai's mind for the next game. Like, Little Mac, Isaac, Saki, Samurai Goroh, and even Starfy and Lyn. It's only until now, that I realized how incredibly off we were.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Saturn's back?

So we're getting a Direct on Friday? Sounds good, although I was getting hyped for Diddy tomorrow. I suppose I can wait an extra day to see if we get a newcomer as well.
Personally I see Diddy as a lock reveal no matter what happens.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Eh...I think the tag team would grow on me. But I'd rather them be their own characters honestly.

I mean, Diddy would probably retain his moveset, and would just get Dixie as a secondary character. I'm sure I'd feel better about it when I see it.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Eh...I think the tag team would grow on me. But I'd rather them be their own characters honestly.

I mean, Diddy would probably retain his moveset, and would just get Dixie as a secondary character. I'm sure I'd feel better about it when I see it.
It seems entirely like a waste of effort.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I consider the Diddy and Dixie tag team one of the most useless ideas for a character.
Diddy and Dixie have similar abilities, probably similar stats, and would take quite some time to develop.
Plus Diddy's fine on his own, really. He was A Tier in Brawl, he can support himself.

And @SaturnGamer64 I would REALLY consider adding Mac to your roster again.
The Smash Arena is so Punch Out it isn't funny. It screams Punch Out Wii in every corner.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I consider the Diddy and Dixie tag team one of the most useless ideas for a character.
Diddy and Dixie have similar abilities, probably stats, and would take quite some time to develop.
Plus Diddy's fine on his own, really. He was A Tier in Brawl, he can support himself.
Oh my god, imagine Diddy's abilities with doubled power and with the Ice Climber's chain-grabbing expertise.
We do not want this!

Louie G.

Smash Hero
A Sheik/duo mechanic of Diddy & Dixie certainly has a good chance you know. Especially when there aren't many choices of characters to implement into other characters.

And then we can get Dixie AND K. Rool. How bout that!

I would put a duo of them as an icon on my character prediction bar, but I have Dixie and Diddy already exists. So I see no reason to.
I understand your thinking, but Mr. K. Rool himself, BKupa, has stated that it HURTS K. Rool's chances if Dixie is in a tag team with Diddy.
This means that she would take more time to develop then if she was separate. And we all know by now that slots aren't really a big deal.

And I agree @ Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones , definitely hoping Palutena. Also K. Rool, but Palutena is the more likely option.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer

I'd rather have Dixie be a clone than a tag-team with Diddy. Feels wasteful in my mind to make more and more duos. It'd also be slightly harder to make?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I understand your thinking, but Mr. K. Rool himself, BKupa, has stated that it HURTS K. Rool's chances if Dixie is in a tag team with Diddy.
This means that she would take more time to develop then if she was separate. And we all know by now that slots aren't really a big deal.

And I agree @ Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones , definitely hoping Palutena. Also K. Rool, but Palutena is the more likely option.
If slots weren't a big deal then we probably wouldn't have almost gotten Toon Zelda and conveniently never got Zelda and Pokemon past 4 when Mario only had 4. But, that could just be a coincidence. Nonetheless, if they are a tag team that would justify 4 Donkey Kong characters. As I previously stated, I do believe slots matter somewhat.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
I hope it's either King K Rool or Diddy.
I'm expecting the latter, but I would be ecstatic for the former.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I am back everyone.
I don't get why people think a Diddy & Dixie tag-team is so unlikely.
Due to some unfinished code found in Brawl's files, Sakurai allegedly planned them as a team, but scrapped it along with some other characters, most likely due to timed constraints.
If Sakurai had an idea he liked but couldn't implement before, why wouldn't he implement it now when he can?

EDIT: Speaking of the direct, it says it will focus on games out before the end of Spring. There don't seem to be that many games coming out by then. The big ones are MarioKart (I'm hoping for a Fawful reveal for that) and Donkey Kong (which not much is left unknown end, though they could say that K. Rool will return in it). Besides that, there aren't many games.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I don't think it's unlikely. I just think most newcomers should be standalone, and I think it would be stupid to tag them. I'm not saying it can't happen.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I am back everyone.
Due to some unfinished code found in Brawl's files, Sakurai allegedly planned them as a team, but scrapped it along with some other characters, most likely due to timed constraints.
If Sakurai had an idea he liked but couldn't implement before, why wouldn't he implement it now when he can?
Because Diddy is perfectly fine as he is and doesn't need a gimmick foisted on him?

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
I don't think it's unlikely. I just think most newcomers should be standalone, and I think it would be stupid to tag them. I'm not saying it can't happen.
I don't think it's unique after having two characters already that are tag teams. Personally, adding another one is overkill.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Because Diddy is perfectly fine as he is and doesn't need a gimmick foisted on him?
Whether he needs it or not, Sakurai probably wanted him to have it.
Why wouldn't he add it in now?

I don't think it's unique after having two characters already that are tag teams. Personally, adding another one is overkill.
I picture them as an Ice a Climbers-like team, since that was what they were in Donkey Kong Country 2.

Last edited:

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
I don't think we'll be getting a reveal this direct. It airs at 7 am on Friday in Japan. It'd be ridiculous to get Friday's screenshot on our Thursday night. I think it's Diddy tomorrow, or a reveal next week.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
I am back everyone.

EDIT: Speaking of the direct, it says it will focus on games out before the end of Spring. There don't seem to be that many games coming out by then. The big ones are MarioKart (I'm hoping for a Fawful reveal for that) and Donkey Kong (which not much is left unknown end, though they could say that K. Rool will return in it). Besides that, there aren't many games.

Ah but put some emphasis on the word, "scrapped." Sakurai wouldn't diminish a charcter's ability if they were fine in the beginning. Dixie should be seperate tbh

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Are we talking Diddy/Dixie? I don't see it being a bad idea, but I see it being "I already put the character in alone, why am I going to bother combining them when I can just put in Dixie alone?"

By the by, is there still some interest in probable character roster? I'm considering grabbing up a new group and *finally* doing an update on it. A big one.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter

The Direct is a WOLDWIDE Direct featuring Spring WII U AND 3DS games. It starts at about 7AM Friday in Japan.
NOW JAPAN CAN FEEL OUR PAIN OF WAKING UP AT AN ABSURD TIME FOR AN ANNOUNCEMENT, NEHEHE.

But yes, if Dixie was in fact a part of Diddy Kong as a tag team, the two would have to be revealed together at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Also, I'm pretty sure there are notes or something on the Diddy and Dixie combos. Those notes have said that it was an idea that Game Arts came up with that Sakurai didn't like. So it was scrapped.

I could have sworn I saw something like that somewhere.

Groose

Smash Champion
So... apparently a developer over at Next Level Games has tweeted a reminder to tune into tomorrow's Nintendo Direct. For those of you not in the know, Next Level Games is best known for Luigi's Mansion, Mario Strikers, and... Punch-Out.

Last edited:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Whether he needs it or not, Sakurai probably wanted him to have it.
Why wouldn't he add it in now?
Who says he still wants to?

I don't think Sakurai ever stated why he dropped the Dixie/Diddy tag team. The only link in the Development History Thread that mentions it is in Japanese, so if somebody who knows Japanese could clear that up, that would be great. It could have been time constraints or, like Ike's Ragnell Shockwave, it could be that Sakurai just decided that it couldn't work for whatever reason.

Knowwuh

Smash Cadet
I don't think we'll be getting a reveal this direct. It airs at 7 am on Friday in Japan. It'd be ridiculous to get Friday's screenshot on our Thursday night. I think it's Diddy tomorrow, or a reveal next week.
Does anyone know if Sakurai has tweeted about the Direct? He usually tweets something before a Direct to remind people to tune in.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Also, I'm pretty sure there are notes or something on the Diddy and Dixie combos. Those notes have said that it was an idea that Game Arts came up with that Sakurai didn't like. So it was scrapped.

I could have sworn I saw something like that somewhere.
If it's anything to back it up, know how I've kept ahead of what devs have said over various sources after they're able to talk about Smash games? I'm pretty sure that idea didn't go anywhere anyways.

After playing Donkey Kong Land and seeing a friend stream DKC3, my opinion on Dixie has changed a lot for the better. She's really discredited just because she looks a lot like Diddy.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
So... apparently a developer over at Next Level Games has tweeted a reminder to tune into tomorrow's Nintendo Direct. For those of you not in the know, Next Level Games is best known for Luigi's Mansion, Mario Strikers, and... Punch-Out.
Disco Kid confirmed.

:troll:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Interesting. That could lead to a number of things.

Little Mac would be interesting to see revealed. But I still think they would reveal Diddy or a DK newcomer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom