• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It's been understandable in the past for characters like Jigglypuff, since the gender ratio is 75% female/25% male. But it's exactly that kind of logic that drives people mad over things like "Fem" Mewtwo. Anime should stick to anime, not games.

I would absolutely love if they included a female/cleft alt for Pikachu this time around, or even some differences in male/female Pokeball Pokemon.
Perhaps, though I'm kinda used to it by now to refer to Zoroark as a she. Even my own Zoroark in the games is a female. :upsidedown: But yeah, I should kinda get into the habit of just referring to them as "it" if they don't have any defining characteristics.

And yeah, wouldn't mind the female Pikachu as an alt too. Even if the only difference is it's tail.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere's Saturn!
-image removed-

So anyway. I made this roster which is mostly a little biased. I say this because I completely disregard Mach Rider's notorious similarities to Captain Falcon in favor of having an easily deserving international retro. I have two retros because I want to live up to Sakurai's desire to have more "older characters" this time around. If Lip was international I'd pick her (though she technically appears in Planet Puzzle League, and she'd add variety, being a SNES Puzzle Character)

So here it is anyway:
*Image Removed*

Last edited by a moderator:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Oh hey, it's Saturn, haven't seen you for a while.

Your roster looks good I suppose, not sure about Tabuu though but alright.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
I don't think I've ever referred to or thought of Zoroark as a she. Then again, I love and identify with androgynous Pokemon. Especially feminine males/masculine females.
...Do Grovyle and Meganium count?

Someday in future Smash installments, someone's probably going to get replaced in order for that "new" generation reach to it's great marketing point. So you all shouldn't be attached to those Pokemon forever. I honestly don't want it to be Brawl+Mewtwo forever. ;-;
Well, I don't want it to be Brawl + Mewtwo forever, either. It should be Brawl + Mewtwo + Pichu + newcomers. :awesome:

I'm stuck between deciding if I'd want Zoroark to be by itself (herself?) or part of a team with N's Reshiram and Zekrom.

I'd like N to be a playable character, acting like a mix of Pokemon Trainer and Ice Climbers. It's a bit hard to explain.

Edit: Ohmygosh Noah's back. This is around the fourth time he's been banned, but I think this time was meant to be a super ban. Still unsure on the details.

So anyway. I made this roster which is mostly a little biased. I say this because I completely disregard Mach Rider's notorious similarities to Captain Falcon in favor of having an easily deserving international retro. I have two retros because I want to live up to Sakurai's desire to have more "older characters" this time around. If Lip was international I'd pick her (though she technically appears in Planet Puzzle League, and she'd add variety, being a SNES Puzzle Character)

Fun Fact: This is the first roster I've ever made in my entire life that does not include Little Mac. I left him out because I'm skeptical that the Arena stage is Smash original and just BASED off of Punch-Out. That and I don't entirely agree that Sakurai would easily consider a character limited to punching feasible. Especially when Smash requires you to grab.

So here it is anyway:
View attachment 8363
I'd honestly like a Smash original character to be playable, so Tabuu would be cool. Not sure about his chances, though.

----

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Your roster looks good I suppose, not sure about Tabuu though but alright.
It's a skeptical choice, but I added him as a surprise character and because I think Sakurai might add a Smash Original character.

So what were the Lucario reactions like when I was gone? :p

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It's a skeptical choice, but I added him as a surprise character and because I think Sakurai might add a Smash Original character.

So what were the Lucario reactions like when I was gone? :p
Alright then I guess.

People here received it pretty positively. However most of the rest of the internet was pretty butthurt about his return, probably even moreso than with Toon Link's return. Especially Miiverse.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
People here received it pretty positively. However most of the rest of the internet was pretty butthurt about his return, probably even moreso than with Toon Link's return. Especially Miiverse.
Wow! And yeah, I saw the Miiverse idiots flame Sakurai for not revealing Mewtwo. I'm so glad Sakurai can't speak english. Especially after what I saw today. People begging for Goku like someone was going to kill them. One guy posted it 8 times in a row.

Yet, for some reason people think Mewtwo is deconfirmed. :rolleyes:

pikachugamer21

Smash Journeyman

Fun Fact: This is the first roster I've ever made in my entire life that does not include Little Mac. I left him out because I'm skeptical that the Arena stage is Smash original and just BASED off of Punch-Out. That and I don't entirely agree that Sakurai would easily consider a character limited to punching feasible. Especially when Smash requires you to grab.

So here it is anyway:
View attachment 8363
i like it

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Can't do that anymore Saturn.

Rules are much more strict this time around. No video/gif/pic only posts.

Just warning ya.

Regardless, you guys think Diddy's moveset will be changed at all?

Last edited:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Regardless, you guys think Diddy's moveset will be changed at all?
Not really, no. There wasn't really anything wrong with his moveset in Brawl.

Edit: Then again, there wasn't anything wrong with Mario's moveset in Melee. :glare:

Last edited:

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Good afternoon all, hope you're all doing well today. Well, the Ridley: Ending the Feud video's going strong, but those thumb downs are climbing their way up. Oh well, I guess that's youtube for you eh? Anyways, like I said in said video, Shulk's moveset would be coming tomorrow, and it's tomorrow so here it is:
Shulk's one of the most fun characters to design, he's just got so many ways to go with his moveset, although I like the RPG route of leveling up.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I don't believe characters will become duos if they are not essentially pallet swaps of each other. And Dixie and Lucina are not pallet swaps.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
I don't believe characters will become duos if they are not essentially pallet swaps of each other. And Dixie and Lucina are not pallet swaps.
Why is that?

Is it because having two different characters sharing the same "slot" would take away uniqueness by having those two characters be separate? Or... something like that.

Who'd want to swap Pallet Town, though?

-----

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Why is that?

Is it because having two different characters sharing the same "slot" would take away uniqueness by having those two characters be separate? Or... something like that.
Who'd want to swap Pallet Town, though?

-----
The idea is probably that Dixie and Lucina are just distinct enough in properties relative to their male counterparts that they couldn't be simple palette swaps (as opposed to the Female/Male WFT costume swaps).

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
The idea is probably that Dixie and Lucina are just distinct enough in properties relative to their male counterparts that they couldn't be simple palette swaps (as opposed to the Female/Male WFT costume swaps).
I was more referring to people who want to pair her up with Chrom. It also seems weird to have a duo of tall characters with long weapons.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I dunno. I can see a Chrom and Lucina duo.

It would highlight a key part of Awakening and make them stand out from everyone.

It wouldn't work like Ice Climbers in my mind. I think they'd be their own beast.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I dunno. I can see a Chrom and Lucina duo.

It would highlight a key part of Awakening and make them stand out from everyone.

It wouldn't work like Ice Climbers in my mind. I think they'd be their own beast.
I honestly don't see any merits from an "Awakening Representative" outside advertising. I mean sure they're popular, but I don't think that's enough.

Being an Awakening representative actually has NOTHING to do with why I have Robin on my roster. I have him because he's unique, he's a different unit, and I would assume that the Avatar/Tactician will become a staple in future Fire Emblem games. Which I believe is a reason Sakurai will want to implement him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Since I haven't played any FE, the FE newcomer is irrelevant to me. Though as long as the pairing is not done a la Ice Climbers (wherein one slavishly mimics the other), a swordsfolk duo could be interesting to play with.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter

So here it is anyway:

View attachment 8363
Welcome back!
Nice to see you again.

Aside from the lack of Mac with Tabuu in their instead, I could probably try my best to enjoy it.

But little's mac grab would obviously be him punching his opponent in the face stunning them like in punch out like come on

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
The way I see it: If people claim that Chrom can be fully unique than that means he can easily be a semi-clone without any issues. Which means if Sakurai is gonna go to the trouble of adding a semi-clone it's most likely going to be Roy.

I don't think Sakurai is going to not make Chrom a semi-clone because it's a reason for him to add a better character.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Talking about Fire Emblem? As I said before, my choice would be Robin/Avatar. Sword and magic combo is something I'd like to see in Smash.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I can't really see Robin being used as a marketing icon.
Well, as I just said: I'm not concerned with marketing and I don't believe that is going to influence the decision of Awakening characters.

But, despite that. Why not? If the avatar is going to be in all future Fire Emblem games, then wouldn't that be the BEST marketing strategy?

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I think Anna or Chrom or Lucina is a better marketing icon. Robin looks pretty standard I can't imagine people being hooked to buy FE's future games because they saw male Robin in an FE14 poster.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I can't really see Robin being used as a marketing icon.
:popo::ness2::falcon::sheik::gw::lucas::rob::rob::jigglypuff::pit:(Pre-Brawl)
This is a fighting game first Blue, characters with unique traits would naturally go into consideration first. [which is obviously why rob goes their twice 2much rob]

Nintendo Direct tomorrow!
Would explain why Triple Deluxe's release date is in Gamestop's system.

bUT 2PM PACIFIC I'LL BE IN CLASS NOOOO....

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Well, time to get hyped.

BUT! If you want to express your hype with gifs, videos and all that, there's the social thread for that. Being hyped is no reason to derail this thread. This applies to everyone here, of course.

Last edited:

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom