• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Enough with Generation I Pokémon reps, please. Let characters of the far better other generations shine. Instead of Giovanni, I'd choose N to represent the villains of the series (even though he isn't a villain by the end of BW). Or maybe Ghetsis, who is by far the evilest character in the series.
I'm going to (momentarily) ignore the fact that you just said Black and White was better than the first gen.

Pretty sure just making expies of a bunch of old Pokemon doesn't make a good gen.

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
Who would be your favorite "probably impossible" character from Fire Emblem to be playable in SSB4?

Mine would probably be Owain from Awakening.
I don't think Tiki is impossible, but she's definitely not the most likely, so I'll got Tiki :)
Although my idea of Anna and Tiki in a duo to have an "independent team" is even less likely, but I support it.
@Hotfeet444 didn't you say you were going to make a Tiki moveset a while back? I like your movesets and I'm not completely sure how she'd play, I can usually get a rough idea, but I'm not sure what move goes where for Tiki...
I think she should take things from both Shadow Dragon and Awakening but have her default design be Awakening, and Shadow Dragon be an alt.

Last edited:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Real shame we're probably getting Mewtwo. I want me Zoroark. Bigger shame we're getting Pokemon Trainer.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I don't need a safe haven for what I feel. I'm not a baby. Mewtwo doesn't interest me, and I think Pokemon Trainer is broken. I also think Zoroark could be the most interesting addition to Smash since Olimar.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I don't need a safe haven for what I feel. I'm not a baby. Mewtwo doesn't interest me, and I think Pokemon Trainer is broken. I also think Zoroark could be the most interesting addition to Smash since Olimar.
Pokémon Trainer is broken? How so?
Also sure, the entire Illusion mechanic is neat in Pokémon and all. But how do you translate that into Smash? Everyone sees you select your character.

Also as andimidna posted, is Rosalina or Mega Man not nearly as Unique as Olimar???

Just look at those faces, how could you Shortie??

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
If Zoroark were in SSB4, this was my idea for the Illusion Ability:

It's a Special Move that allows you to transform into another random character on the roster (or maybe in that specific battle). While transformed, you gain the look, stats (speed, power, jump, etc.), and normal moves of the character you're copying, however, Zoroark retains it's own Special Moves and Final Smash.

So if, for instance, Zoroark's Side B was, like, Night Slash or something, and she was copying Mario, she would look and fight like Mario, but still use Night Slash as her Side B.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Pokémon Trainer is broken? How so?
Stamina.
It forces you to switch even if that means then having a disadvantage. And being that Squirtle better than the other two by quite a margin, that happens often.
But you can't just get rid of stamina. It still wouldn't work balance wise. That would make Pokemon Trainer three characters in one with no downsides.
There's also the whole loading time in between switches. But that'll no doubt be fixed if Pokemon Trainer returns.
I'm sure someone more versed in competitive level Pokemon Trainer playing could tell you more. This is only from someone who knows a little bit about it.

I'm thinking that if stamina were only based on one factor, versus being based on both how long the Pokemon has been out and how much damage they have taken would be a good way to start fixing it. But it may not be enough.
And, obviously, Ivysaur and Charizard need a little help as well.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
If Zoroark were in SSB4, this was my idea for the Illusion Ability:

It's a Special Move that allows you to transform into another random character on the roster (or maybe in that specific battle). While transformed, you gain the look, stats (speed, power, jump, etc.), and normal moves of the character you're copying, however, Zoroark retains it's own Special Moves and Final Smash.

So if, for instance, Zoroark's Side B was, like, Night Slash or something, and she was copying Mario, she would look and fight like Mario, but still use Night Slash as her Side B.
That sort of destroys the entire purpose of the Illusion in the first place.
I mean you're supposed to fool people into believing your something else, you're not fooling anybody if people see you becoming another character.

I like Zoroark, use one personally actually, but if Zoroark's main gimmick was to be used correctly it'd be best be as a Pokéball Pokémon.
I mean you send it out and you see a Goldeen and think nothing of it, when suddenly it uses Night Daze without warning causing a rather large explosion of Darkness surrounding itself. It then reveals itself to be Zoroark, snickers, and then leaves. Fits her more I think.

Stamina.
It forces you to switch even if that means then having a disadvantage. And being that Squirtle better than the other two by quite a margin, that happens often.
But you can't just get rid of stamina. It still wouldn't work balance wise. That would make Pokemon Trainer three characters in one with no downsides.
There's also the whole loading time in between switches. But that'll no doubt be fixed if Pokemon Trainer returns.
I'm sure someone more versed in competitive level Pokemon Trainer playing could tell you more. This is only from someone who knows a little bit about it.

I'm thinking that if stamina were only based on one factor, versus being based on both how long the Pokemon has been out and how much damage they have taken would be a good way to start fixing it. But it may not be enough.
And, obviously, Ivysaur and Charizard need a little help as well.
I'm fully aware of the Stamina mechanic, I was more so referring to why Shortie calls him "broken" specifically. Since the term has multiple meanings.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Can't Zoroark just have an illusionary based moveset? (Such as tricking your opponent into thinking you're going to pull one move, but then fool them and use another, or have a move that works like the double cherry from Super Mario 3D world and create a decoy of yourself which dissapears once it's attacked. Those are just two examples for her to use her illusion ability.) She is a dark type after all and if I recall correctly, they have quite a few trickery moves in their disposal.

Just leave the whole illusionary transformation thing as a Final Smash or something. :/

Last edited:

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Zoroark? To me, it seems like old news.

It would be unique, but so could Grovyle, Victini, Genesect, Deoxys, Honegde, Hawlucha, Greninja, Togetic, Marowak, Ampharos, and many other pokemon.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Speaking of pokemon characters...Please tell me I'm not the only one here who knows this guy:

Wes>every other Pokemon Trainer.

This is a 100% proven fact.
Sadly, as you say, it's unlikely that the Orre games will get any acknowledgement in Smash....:urg:

I'm still holding out hope that the Backpacker in X/Y was hinting at an Colosseum/XD remake.....

Last edited:

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Pokemon trainer = Boken..................wut?

Could you maybe explain why?

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
While I think it's a good idea to consider many potential Pokemon choices, let us not forget that Mewtwo is still the most popular, and more relevant at this point. Hence why his chances are much higher than any other potential Pokemon character.

Basically, I would not expect somebody other than Mewtwo.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Sometimes I wonder if Gamefreak is always to promoting their games by having a Pokemon newcomer.
Something tells me that a Pokemon is getting replaced.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Can't Zoroark just have an illusionary based moveset? (Such as tricking your opponent into thinking you're going to pull one move, but then fool them and use another, or have a move that works like the double cherry from Super Mario 3D world and create a decoy of yourself which dissapears once it's attacked. Those are just two examples for her to use her illusion ability.) She is a dark type after all and if I recall correctly, they have quite a few trickery moves in their disposal.

Just leave the whole illusionary transformation thing as a Final Smash or something. :/
Well when it comes to the Zoroark family, their main gimmick is making people think they're something else. If Sakurai did make her playable, I can't fathom the possibility of him not using that aspect of the Illusion mechanic as a prevalent gameplay mechanic for her. Just like he did with Lucario (even though Lucario's abilities regarding his connection to Aura in the games are limited to his Pokédex description and Aura Sphere), so I can't imagine attempting to fool people with your appearance not being a major part of Zoroark's moveset.
cuehotfeetlaterpostinghisaozoroarkmovesetvideo
However, I gotta say that your concept is pretty good. But that would basically be being able to just change attack mid-animation (Sort of like Project M's Turbo Mode without the first hit actually connecting). I think the concept is cool, but it isn't really enough to make Zoroark seem like Zoroark to me.
Sometimes I wonder if Gamefreak is always to promoting their games by having a Pokemon newcomer.
Something tells me that a Pokemon is getting replaced.
What do you mean? We're probably gonna get two new Pokémon, maybe even three.
Mega Lucario, Mega Mewtwo (Y Probably), and Mega Charizard (My bet would be on X to correlate with Origins).

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Darn you, slow internet. Causing me to double post like that, much rude.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Not exactly sure, but I don't think Mewtwo nor Lucario would represent X and Y well and how it's going forward (Stated in the Pokemon criteria), I feel like Gamefreak is going to promote a sixth gen. newcomer.

That's possible but who would they replace now since the scapegoat is all ready confirmed.
Probably either Jigglypuff or PT if I had to guess. Lucarios already confirmed, so, and he's not directly promoting Pokemon X and Y, he's promoting the main Pokemon website (If I can recall from other people).

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Not exactly sure, but I don't think Mewtwo nor Lucario would represent X and Y well and how it's going forward (Stated in the Pokemon criteria), I feel like Gamefreak is going to promote a sixth gen. newcomer.
They both still would be through Mega Evolution, which is a pretty large aspect of Generation 6 .
Mewtwo will incorporate it no doubt, he even has his own personal page on Pokémon X and Y's website.
Lucario may go through Mega Evolution through his Aura Mechanic.
Plus, this isn't even considering Pokémon Trainer incorporating Mega Evolution with Charizard (which is the best fit I think).

Probably either Jigglypuff or PT if I had to guess. Lucarios already confirmed, so, and he's not directly promoting Pokemon X and Y, he's promoting the main Pokemon website (If I can recall from other people).
The main Pokémon website has a link to Pokémon video games on it's front page. It's smarter to advertise the entire brand than it is to advertise a specific game. It more people learn about Pokémon in general, more consumers are guaranteed to find interest in the games themselves.
I don't think the website it leads you to should matter much.

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman
Yeah they are the only pokemon that really can represent X and Y. The only other option that makes sense is charaizard.
Sylveon is also another Pokemon I believe can heavily represent X and Y. It was the first Pokemon to be revealed as a Fairy-type, the newest addition to the type chart. Sure, Jigglypuff has been given the Fairy typing as well, but Sylveon reps it better due to being pure Fairy, and as I stated, the first known Fairy-type.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well when it comes to the Zoroark family, their main gimmick is making people think they're something else. If Sakurai did make her playable, I can't fathom the possibility of him not using that aspect of the Illusion mechanic as a prevalent gameplay mechanic for her. Just like he did with Lucario (even though Lucario's abilities regarding his connection to Aura in the games are limited to his Pokédex description and Aura Sphere), so I can't imagine attempting to fool people with your appearance not being a major part of Zoroark's moveset.
cuehotfeetlaterpostinghisaozoroarkmovesetvideo
However, I gotta say that your concept is pretty good. But that would basically be being able to just change attack mid-animation (Sort of like Project M's Turbo Mode without the first hit actually connecting). I think the concept is cool, but it isn't really enough to make Zoroark seem like Zoroark to me.
Well Zoroark is mostly known as the Illusion Fox Pokemon, so I'd say so long as she fights like one, that still represents it well for what it is. So using attacks that makes your opponent think you are pulling one move but ending up using something else to fool them or using an attack that tricks them into thinking that it is something weak but in reality is actually something strong would still bring close to what she is. Her main gimmick isn't just to make everyone think she is someone else, but to also catch them off guard. So I think her moveset should kinda reflect onto that.

I think the double cherry mechanic is probably the closest thing that could probably work for Zoroark in terms of its illusion ability in the pokemon games, it still follows similar principles, except it creates a decoy to make your opponent think your one or the other and if they attack your fake form it just disappears while giving you an opening to fight back. (although in the games, she still received damage from it)

But I guess that's just my opinion. :/

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Sylveon is also another Pokemon I believe can heavily represent X and Y. It was the first Pokemon to be revealed as a Fairy-type, the newest addition to the type chart. Sure, Jigglypuff has been given the Fairy typing as well, but Sylveon reps it better due to being pure Fairy, and as I stated, the first known Fairy-type.
It might be a better rep for fairies in general, but Jiggs is the better fairy rep since she is a vet from all three games.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I also think Zoroark's chances are really low now, despite the potential of being a very unique character, I feel like that the Pokemon they are going to promote is going to represent the franchise going forward, in which Zoroark's case is pretty much outdated now, the better choice would be 6th generation Pokemon that's not an old generation Pokemon.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah she probably won't make it in, but I personally really don't mind her and she'd certainly be a pleasant surprise for me if she did make it in after all.

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman
It might be a better rep for fairies in general, but Jiggs is the better fairy rep since she is a vet from all three games.
That doesn't necessarily make her a better Fairy rep, per se. Just a character that's easier to incorporate. Sylveon has far more fairy-like assets in its design. Jigglypuff just had the typing slapped on her, and I doubt any changes will be made to her moveset that will show it off. Part of Jigglypuff being so easy to create relies on her simplistic moveset. I'm not saying there's no chance it will happen, but I don't see Sakurai making any tweaks to Jigglypuff's moveset to better address the new typing. Adding an entirely new Pokemon that represents the Fairy-type as a whole would be far more interesting, imo.

Staarih

Smash Master
I think the 6th gen would be pretty well represented with Mega Lucario and especially Mega Mewtwo, if they become a thing in Smash 4 (which I think they will). However, if they were to add someone from the 6th gen other than a mega evolution, I guess Sylveon works as it is definitely one of the most (if not the most) prominent and popular Pokémon of the new generation. I'd also personally find a quadrupedal character interesting (bar Ivysaur). However, I do think Zoroark would most likely move with four legs as well, unless she's staying still, and I'm still more of a Zoroark-person when it comes to Pokémon newcomers (though Mewtwo before anyone else, surely).

Changing PT's starters could also be an option. Charizard is a must of course but maybe Squirtle could be replaced by Froakie (the most popular Kalos-starter I presume, and they could easily share the moveset, would also give a nod towards the new gen) and Ivysaur with... something grass. Kanto-starters are still relevant yes, but changing things around wouldn't hurt imo.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Fairy refers more to magic/enchantment as far as the typing goes. Hence why things like Mr. Mime got it. Either way, while I don't think Jiggs necessarily represents that as well as others, I can see it fitting the motif with its singing moves (its main Fairy attack is Disarming Voice, which could do nicely as an offensive Sing type move).

I don't think I've ever referred to or thought of Zoroark as a she. Then again, I love and identify with androgynous Pokemon. Especially feminine males/masculine females.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I don't think I've ever referred to or thought of Zoroark as a she. Then again, I love and identify with androgynous Pokemon. Especially feminine males/masculine females.
Lol that's mostly because the Zoroark in the movie was a female so I kinda stuck with it. Though perhaps I should kinda refer to it as an "it" really, unless said pokemon has a certain characteristic that shows it's a male or female (Like Pikachu's tail for example).

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Lol that's mostly because the Zoroark in the movie was a female. Though perhaps I should kinda refer to it as an "it" really, unless said pokemon has a certain characteristic that shows it's a male or female (Like Pikachu's tail for example).
It's been understandable in the past for characters like Jigglypuff, since the gender ratio is 75% female/25% male. But it's exactly that kind of logic that drives people mad over things like "Fem" Mewtwo. Anime should stick to anime, not games.

I would absolutely love if they included a female/cleft alt for Pikachu this time around, or even some differences in male/female Pokeball Pokemon.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Someday in future Smash installments, someone's probably going to get replaced in order for that "new" generation reach to it's great marketing point. So you all shouldn't be attached to those Pokemon forever. I honestly don't want it to be Brawl+Mewtwo forever. ;-;

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom