• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

andimidna

Smash Master
Assist Trophies SSBWiiU3ds (1) Roster.png

Assist trophy ideas!
I'm not attached to most of these so I'd be willing to change my list based on what you guys think.
Blank spot=Jeanne

EDIT: Fawful, Vaati, Roy, Young Link, Monita, and Tiny Kong too?

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I thought we weren't allowed to post images? Or were we only allowed Smash related ones.
You're not allowed to post any images or videos that are off topic.

For example, if you want to explain how Palutena works with varies screenshots of Kid Icarus: Uprising as a reference, that is fine. But what isn't fine is posting a picture of a cat gnawing on a piece of corn or a gif of a dog riding on a unicycle.

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
If Sonic for, whatever reason, actually got a second character in SSB4, who would you pick?

I myself would go for Tails.

andimidna

Smash Master
If Sonic for, whatever reason, actually got a second character in SSB4, who would you pick?

We already have 2 hammer/mallet characters: Dedede and Ice Climbers, so probably not Amy.
Shadow isn't really the main villain, I consider him the Bowser Jr of Sonic, and I don't think he was in Lost World or is going to be in Boom, so nah.
Tails maybe. He's the next main protagonist I guess. I see his moveset as somewhat a mix between Sonic and Dixie Kong
Dr. Eggman is the only other one I'd consider.
I like Blaze the most... but that wouldn't happen without the rest.
I don't see knuckles getting in over the next main protagonist, an antagonist, and a female.
Only other notable Sonic character is Silver, and I couldn't see that happening without 5 other Sonic characters being added.
I'd probably choose Eggman because I want more villains and for :greenhill:to return.

Pretty decent roster. It has all the characters I like, so I'd be perfectly fine with it.
Hahaha. Every roster has your 3 most wanted characters. Or at least 90% of all rosters. :p

Last edited:

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332

Tails, he's the 2nd most important character to the series, and my personal favorite, brings me back to the days of the genesis, ah good times. Just don't remind me of modern tails.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Come on, Knuckles needs some more love here.
Knuckles is the best, my second favorite character in gaming behind the man in green.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I guess since it is about Knuckles which was what I was discussing it is OK, I guess?
It's on topic, but with an image that large, please try to keep it within a spoiler bracket, which I edited in.

It was obnoxiously large.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
How about the topic of retros? I mean, I liked Lip but I am really starting to like Mach Rider and Muddy.
I mean, Takamaru is the obvious choice, so I recommend one in addition.
That being said Muddy brings the most to the table, although the other two are slightly more likely.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
I mean, Takamaru is the obvious choice, so I recommend one in addition.
That being said Muddy brings the most to the table, although the other two are slightly more likely.
Well obviously Muddy would bring something totally new to the table which is why I find him more likely. Plus I would love to play as him and I loved Mole Mania.

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
I am really liking the ideas of Mach Rider, Bubbles, Muddy Mole and Lip especially. Takamaru less so, but still up there. As you can see, I like retros and am setting myself up for disappointment :awesome:.

EDIT: I only started liking Muddy Mole recently after seeing how many new things he can bring to the table, this is also why I support Bubbles and Lip.

Last edited:

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
If we get a second Sonic the Hedgehog character it just has to be Knuckles. I know there will be people that will say, "Tails is his sidekick and deserves it due to history, the Melee joke, blah blah blah" but let's all be honest here: who doesn't want to battle to Pumpkin Hill? But if Knuckles is going to look like that Benoit-looking abortion from Sonic Boom, then I'd rather just do without and mod the music into the game myself.

Although, if the option exists for another third party guest from an existing franchise, I want Zero above all else. Not only would he fit absolutely perfectly into the gameplay, but I'd like to play as him in a game I can actually have a shot at being competitive...

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I would recommend only picking one retro.

Just because one is popular and obvious doesn't mean there are going to be two retros. Really I think that is detrimental. Retros are good for the nostalgia or value, but overdoing it is well...overdoing it. It should be a one per game tradition in my opinion.

Of course that may also be because I see some rosters with several characters that are unlikely rather than likely, or just too many retros. Basically, when I see a roster with (for example) Anna, Daitoryo, Lip, Muddy Mole, Takamaru, etc...

Like one or two are fine. But don't go adding like 16 characters like that. That isn't going to happen. That's not a prediction, it's a bad guess.

Mini rant over.

I'm surprised we haven't gotten a stage reveal in awhile. At least we get Diddy this week.

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
I would recommend only picking one retro.

Just because one is popular and obvious doesn't mean there are going to be two retros. Really I think that is detrimental. Retros are good for the nostalgia or value, but overdoing it is well...overdoing it. It should be a one per game tradition in my opinion.

Of course that may also be because I see some rosters with several characters that are unlikely rather than likely, or just too many retros. Basically, when I see a roster with (for example) Anna, Daitoryo, Lip, Muddy Mole, Takamaru, etc...

Like one or two are fine. But don't go adding like 16 characters like that. That isn't going to happen. That's not a prediction, it's a bad guess.

Mini rant over.

I'm surprised we haven't gotten a stage reveal in awhile. At least we get Diddy this week.
While I support 5 retros for Smash, I have never had more then 2. Do people actually put more than 2?

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
While I support 5 retros for Smash, I have never had more then 2. Do people actually put more than 2?
Maybe not retros specifically, but "out of left field characters" yes. It's silly, and I'm all for predicting for the fun of it, but when all realism is thrown out the window, I facepalm.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
G-Guys...

We all know that Sakurai hates copying other games, especially other fighting games.

Well, in Dead or Alive Dimensions for the 3DS, the Pyrosphere is a level (because of the cooperation between Nintendo and Team Ninja), and guess who is a stage hazard?

No, go ahead, guess.

Figured it out?

It's Ridley. Ridley has appeared in the exact same stage in a different fighting game as a stage hazard. In a recent game. One that Sakurai is certainly privy to.

/stagehazardargument

Thanks to @Xhampi for bringing this up.

If only it was so easy...in all seriousness, though, this probably does help Ridley's chances a bit. Some people might see it as pretty lame if Sakurai were to take an entire stage and gimmick from another game. Just depends on Sakurai's position on it, I guess.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

View attachment 8318
I've got a brand new roster...
Feel free to discuss. Got rid of Black Shadow for now, sorry @GoldenYuiitusin. He doesn't bring much new to the table.
Didn't really care one way or another if you got rid of B. Shadow.
However, the "doesn't bring much new to the table" case seems rather hypocritical when you have Chrom as a Newcomer. Even if the Black Shadowdorf route is taken, the fact it opens up something new within context of Ganondorf is still contributing to the platter.
Not saying you have to bring B. Shadow back, though. Just.....don't use that reasoning.

I have a feeling Entei will have something to say about this.
Well, that's what someone does when they're being addressed, now isn't it? :p

Don't do that. You'll make Golden angry.

You wouldn't like him when he's angry.
Forget about not liking me when I'm angry, you really won't like me when I'm hungry.

He wouldn't really be a cone, he would just hale on to Ganondorf's moveset so he can get a new one.
Well of course he wouldn't be a cone. :troll:

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS Roster.png

I finally finished my roster. It is both a combination of my wishlist roster along with my predction roster. 60 Characters is wishlist, not prediction.

All of the Brawl veterans return along with Mewtwo.

• Toad is a wishlist choice, I really supported Toad always having him in my Mario roster, until he was deconfirmed.
  • I find that either Dixie or K Rool would be on my prediction roster, but my wishlist roster has both of them.
  • Tetra is one of my favorite characetrs from Zelda and she is the most reoccurring side kick. I don't find two Zelda character likely, but I can see six Mairo and six Pokemon slots.
  • Takamaru is the retro choice, alogn with Lip.
  • Ridley is the second most prominent character to Metroid, second most important.
  • Palutena is highly requested in both the West and Japan.
  • Duck Hunt Dog is the historical character representing the NES Zapper, like how G+W and ROB both represent the Game and Watch and ROB respectively.
  • Waddle Dee is awesome.
  • Chibbi Robo is more a personal choice and has a new 3DS game in the Americas this year.
  • Lip because Takamaru is somewhat reason.
  • Dillon is a new IP and represents the 3DS and eShop.
  • Giovanni is a unique choice. Tactician and Chrom because I support Tactician but Chrom is more likely. So I made a unique choice and added the two of them.
  • Anna because Lucina and Lyn were both considered, but Lyn might be too similar to Takamaru and Lucina would be with Chrom or bust.
  • Little Mac, Mii, Isaac, Shulk and Wonder Red are all new series and popular.

Edit: Should I make a thread where it is an achieve of these icons?

Last edited:

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Perhaps I'm biased, but if you're going to have a second PKMN Trainer, I think having one based around a female trainer like May using second and third generation Pokémon (Pichu, Gardevoir, Blaziken) is a better option than Giovanni.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Perhaps I'm biased, but if you're going to have a second PKMN Trainer, I think having one based around a female trainer like May using second and third generation Pokémon (Pichu, Gardevoir, Blaziken) is a better option than Giovanni.
Implying that PIchu is a better option than anything.

Also, he is quite clearly shoehorned into that trio.

Perhaps I'm biased
Oooooooh, nevermind. Carry on.

Last edited:

Espio264

Smash Ace
I love your idea for Giovanni. Marowak would be rad.

Realistically though, I've thought if they were to have a Team Rocket additon, it'd be a generic grunt like how PT was the generic avatar and not Red. Though they may have him/her look like Jessie or James or Domino or whoever.
That being said, Meowth is a must, and the other two would likely be two iconic DARK pokemon. I'd expect some generation jumps too, like having Houndoom or Sneasel in there.

And crap, I'd give back Pikachu if they'd let us play as Gengar or Scizor. Nice job.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Implying that PIchu is a better option than anything.

Also, he is quite clearly shoehorned into that trio.
Not really.

Pichu (Cute), Gardevoir (Beauty/Smart), and Blaziken (Cool/Tough). Three of the most popular Pokémon from their generation. Switch Pichu's specials for Charm and Magnet Rise, get rid of the self-shock mechanic and he's just as viable as Squirtle.

D

Deleted member

Even though Red is the generic avatar but with a specific name. :rolleyes:
After Wii Fit Trainer, I'm full on expecting that the name was left generic as to leave an opening for the other gender to be made into a costume.

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
Personally, I wish Red would've looked like how he does in the manga. Black hair and redeyes. Walking bad***...

Espio264

Smash Ace
Even though Red is the generic avatar but with a specific name. :rolleyes:
Red and Blue are exceptions. They went on to become part of the mythology of the series as their own characters. We were given a generic avatar in PT and not the avatar that would become Red.

It's not like they brought back Gold or Silver or May or any of those avatars/rivals and plugged them in as legendary trainers in later games. (I haven't played any since Emerald version, so if in fact they had done that, I'm unaware and feel free to craft me an idiot hat.)

I just don't like tiny eyes rolled at me

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
Not really.

Pichu (Cute), Gardevoir (Beauty/Smart), and Blaziken (Cool/Tough). Three of the most popular Pokémon from their generation. Switch Pichu's specials for Charm and Magnet Rise, get rid of the self-shock mechanic and he's just as viable as Squirtle.
I'd love that. Gardevoir is my favorite Pokemon. And Blaziken is my 3rd favorite. And Pichu... was in Melee. I like this idea.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
After Wii Fit Trainer, I'm full on expecting that the name was left generic as to leave an opening for the other gender to be made into a costume.
Yeah I agree completely. Villager isn't any less generic and non-specific, and gender swapping costumes are perfect for the Trainers and Villager.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The concept of another Pokemon Trainer isn't likely if you are expecting 10-12 characters, one of which being Mewtwo.

Having a second Pokemon Trainer would bring the Pokemon series to a whopping NINE CHARACTERS. That, to me, is way too many. I get that there are a lot of Pokemon, but this is a Nintendo fighter, and series balance is important.

Not to mention the development time it would take. That's three characters for one slot, and for a gimmick/playstyle that basically already exists. I'm against it frankly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom