• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
So how many people think Ridley is a stage hazard?

I have a strong feeling both him and King K Rool are a no go.
I have a strong feeling otherwise.
King K. Rool is the most unique option for the DK franchise in terms of a new character. Dixie would be a step backwards when you take into account the unique newcomers added so far. I want K. Rool AND Dixie really. And please leave Cranky out of this.
Ridley I'm pretty confident in. We haven't seen him as a hazard yet, which makes me suspicious (many characters were shown as hazards right away). Metroid needs more representation too, so Ridley is really the best option.
I'm feeling both, and I'd be disappointed otherwise, but I've prepared myself for the occasion if it does happen.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
The reason I dont like Chrom is not because hes doomed to be a clone. He most certainly does have the potential to be one though.

We have seen nothing but Lords come from FE, and with Chrom being added that would be the 4th one. Not that he would be a clone or semi clone guaranteed, but it is getting redundant. Imagine if they added Krystal, and she played like Fox and Falco, it would be rather pointless (Wolf isn't a semi-clone. similar, yes, but not a clone) The FE series does revolve around the Lords and their struggles, but there is so much more to offer form their universe that hasnt been fully fleshed out.

Thats why i like the Tactician/MyUnit. My Unit has been featured in a lot of games, has a better potential to be unique, and brings something to the table that isn't a Lord. Plus with the Awakening version
There would be a villain from the series

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
I have a strong feeling otherwise.
King K. Rool is the most unique option for the DK franchise in terms of a new character. Dixie would be a step backwards when you take into account the unique newcomers added so far. I want K. Rool AND Dixie really. And please leave Cranky out of this.
Ridley I'm pretty confident in. We haven't seen him as a hazard yet, which makes me suspicious (many characters were shown as hazards right away). Metroid needs more representation too, so Ridley is really the best option.
I'm feeling both, and I'd be disappointed otherwise, but I've prepared myself for the occasion if it does happen.
At this point, it's nearly been too long for him to be revealed as a hazard. We'd know sooner if it was the case, ala Viridi.
Sakurai is straight up trolling us and building hype for his console-saving game.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Thank you for your valuable input.
At this point, it's nearly been too long for him to be revealed as a hazard. We'd know sooner if it was the case, ala Viridi.
Sakurai is straight up trolling us and building hype for his console-saving game.
That's how I feel. It's been a really long time, we've seen GAMEPLAY on Pyrosphere.
At this point it's stage hazard or character, no Plan C.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
What I dont get is that people hate Chrom and them ask for the albino Gary Stu that is Robin.
I get that.

Iif he is the tactician, then he could have moves around that. (as well as magic, and he could wield a spear, I think. haven't played awakening enough. I want him for a tactician-based moveset)

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
People were debating about the pic of the day yesterday. They're yelling out that it looks like ness,what do you think?

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
People were debating about the pic of the day yesterday. They're yelling out that it looks like ness,what do you think?
If you mean Monday's Nintendog pic, it's since been demonstrated that the television is actually showing dogs wearing Mario hats (Mario, Luigi, Toad, etc.). From afar, people mistook the red cap as belonging to Ness, and the forms of the other dogs as belonging to Jigglypuff.

I'd post the source, but I've no idea where I'd find it.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
It could be Ness. But then, what would be the point of having him on TV?

Seems like another case of the Ridley in the Clouds/Sonic on TV Monitor in SSE from Brawl's spec days with people looking too deep until they start seeing things.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Well. I don't think it was Ness,either. I thought is resembled a Mii for a second with a red cap and black hair on the backside,but like you said,Toad,we start seeing things.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Thats why i like the Tactician/MyUnit. My Unit has been featured in a lot of games, has a better potential to be unique, and brings something to the table that isn't a Lord.
Avatar/My Unit is a Lord in everything but name. Unless you want to say that Alm, Celica, and Micaiah aren't Lords either.
Plus with the Awakening version
There would be a villain from the series
No he wouldn't be. Only !Bad Future Robin is a villain, and I can guarantee to you that if Robin were included, it wouldn't be that version.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Avatar/My Unit is a Lord in everything but name. Unless you want to say that Alm, Celica, and Micaiah aren't Lords either.

No he wouldn't be. Only !Bad Future Robin is a villain, and I can guarantee to you that if Robin were included, it wouldn't be that version.
I would much prefer those over Chrom.

Robin could be hooded Robin, or turn into Grima for a Final Smash. This is Smash, doesn't have to be canon. Also, Robin skewed the line of hero/villain, he was literally both, there was no separation between them. Did the ending not convince you of that?

and no, you can't guarantee anything

Last edited:

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465

To think, all those months ago I jokingly predicted Ridley could end up a stage hazard, and how the community would react; yet, there was a glimmer of truth. My personal opinion is he won't be playable. The door might be open for Dark Samus as some sort of conciliatory recognition towards those who've been asking for a new Metroid character, but if that were to happen I cannot begin to imagine the crap storm that will rage. It would dwarf R.O.B, Lucario and Wolf combined; even if she was incredibly unique and an all around good character. My guy says Sakurai would just leave the series alone. He already counts Zero Suit Samus as a second Metroid character, so things might be straight in his eyes.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Robin could be hooded Robin, or turn into Grima for a Final Smash. This is Smash, doesn't have to be canon. Also, Robin skewed the line of hero/villain, he was literally both, there was no separation between them. Did the ending not convince you of that?

and no, you can't guarantee anything
No, the game is pretty clear that Grima is the true villain, Robin is just a vessel for his will and thus he/she has no control over their actions thereafter.

Really, Robin is much more a hero because they refuses to join with Grima and even in FoD it's implied they'd resist him to the end of the opportunity presented itself in the main storyline.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I have a strong feeling both him [Ridley] and King K Rool are a no go.
90% sure [that Ridley is a stage hazard]
Ridley... well, Sakurai did admit he would be very difficult to implement, so... who knows.
Aw, you're all breaking my heart.

If Sakurai isn't an idiot, fan favorites like Ridley and K. Rool will get in. They're highly requested, important, and unique. There's literally no reason for him to not put them in besides "Sakurai-logic", which is ass-backwards thinking anyway. If Sakurai can look at Ridley and K. Rool, see their popularity, and then go "Pfft, no", then I think I have to question if he should really be in charge of what will likely be the biggest game of the year.

Also, if you can look at Pyrosphere and think that Sakurai isn't poking harmless fun at Ridley fans, then I dont' know what to say to you. I don't think we give enough credit to Sakurai's wit.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter

If he was a stage hazard, I'd imagine we would have found out about that within the month of the stage reveal.

It's almost been half a year, he's probably not.

---
So, other than this pointless topic, I say we talk about Chibi-Robo.
Would be really cool to see him in there, but I dunno. I think he'd be better to start off as an Assist Trophy, not sure why he wasn't one in the first place while he had two trophies in Brawl.
---
Also I did post my Roster earlier last night, at like midnight when nobody is active. So I hope the moderators don't mind if I do it again...

49 Selectable characters, 53 counting transformations and whatnot. No Cuts.
• K. Rool could be switched with Dixie, but I'd much prefer seeing K. Rool.
• Ridley because Ridley.
• Palutena looks likely, #teamreal.
• Isaac is one of the characters I don't feel entirely confident of, but he seems like a nice and unique fit.
• Shulk's popular pretty much everywhere, I think he's got a real good chance.
• I was talking positively of Black Shadow, so I figured I'd put my money where my mouth is. On top having his own personal unique abilities, perhaps he could inherit some of Ganondorf's moves and let Ganondorf be Ganondorf??
• Mewtwo.
• Robin is majorly a placeholder, Lucina or Chrom would fit in here nicely too.
• Little Mac
• Muddy is also kind of a placeholder, but I really think a Gameboy Retro character would be the route Sakurai would go with. Since it is logically the next step to take after the NES (Ice Climbers), Game & Watch (Mr. G&W), Famicom (Pit), and R.O.B. [NES Accessories?] (R.O.B.) were given a representative in previous games. So with that in mind, a Gameboy character seems like a good fit. Especially since this is Smash's first handheld installment and all. I can see Takamaru being in too though, since Pit could be replaced with him as the Famicom guy.

Last edited:

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
If he was a stage hazard, I'd imagine we would have found out about that within the month of the stage reveal.

---
Would be really cool to see him in there, but I dunno. I think he'd be better to start off as an Assist Trophy, not sure why he wasn't one in the first place while he had two trophies in Brawl.
---
Also I did post my Roster earlier last night, at like midnight when nobody is active. So I hope the moderators don't mind if I do it again?

Robin is majorly a placeholder, second choice would be Lucina and then Chrom.
Muddy is also majorly a placeholder, but I really think a Gameboy Retro character would be the route Sakurai would go with. Since it is logically the next step to take after the NES (Ice Climbers), Game & Watch (Mr. G&W), Famicom (Pit), and R.O.B. [NES Accessories?] (R.O.B.) were given a representative in previous games.
So with that in mind, a Gameboy character seems like a good fit. Especially since this is Smash's first handheld installment and all. I can see Takamaru being in too though, since Pit could be replaced with him as the Famicom guy
I love the roster, great choices, seems good. And the icons. Do you happen to have an archive of these?

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691

---
---
Also I did post my Roster earlier last night, at like midnight when nobody is active. So I hope the moderators don't mind if I do it again...

49 Selectable characters, 53 counting transformations and whatnot. No Cuts.

• K. Rool could be switched with Dixie, but I'd much prefer seeing K. Rool.
• Ridley because Ridley.
• Palutena looks likely, #teamreal.
• Isaac is one of the characters I don't feel entirely confident of, but he seems like a nice and unique fit.
• Shulk's popular pretty much everywhere, I think he's got a real good chance.
• I was talking positively of Black Shadow, so I figured I'd put my money where my mouth is. On top having his own personal unique abilities, perhaps he could inherit some of Ganondorf's moves and let Ganondorf be Ganondorf??
• Mewtwo.
• Robin is majorly a placeholder, Lucina or Chrom would fit in here nicely too.
• Little Mac
• Muddy is also kind of a placeholder, but I really think a Gameboy Retro character would be the route Sakurai would go with. Since it is logically the next step to take after the NES (Ice Climbers), Game & Watch (Mr. G&W), Famicom (Pit), and R.O.B. [NES Accessories?] (R.O.B.) were given a representative in previous games. So with that in mind, a Gameboy character seems like a good fit. Especially since this is Smash's first handheld installment and all. I can see Takamaru being in too though, since Pit could be replaced with him as the Famicom guy.
Pretty.... it's a very solid, nice roster.

If I may ask, if you had to get rid of three characters on that roster, who would they be? Just so I can see a smaller size.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
It was Ness and Jigglypuff.

"Pic of the day. When Ness or Jigglypuff joins the battle, you can tune in to Alfonzo!

Alfonzo: Leave it to me!"

But seriously, what is the current topic?

UltimateWario

Smash Master
• Ridley because Ridley.
Looks like Angelglory's Ridley pose is already getting some use.

Absolutely in love with this roster, though I'd rather have Takamaru than Muddy. Other than that, 10/10, would play.

Don't think we I don't know who's under that Random slot, you silly.

Last edited:

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
No, the game is pretty clear that Grima is the true villain, Robin is just a vessel for his will and thus he/she has no control over their actions thereafter.

Really, Robin is much more a hero because they refuses to join with Grima and even in FoD it's implied they'd resist him to the end of the opportunity presented itself in the main storyline.
Robin is Grima. The two are intertwined. In my opinion, Robin is a reincarnation. He/she becomes Grima ultimately based on their decisions. It's like Anakin skywalker becoming Darth Vader. Was he being possessed? I don't think so.

andimidna

Smash Master
I support the duo Chrom and Lucina, simply because I want to play as a sword duo. I want that. It used to be because I liked those two characters and thought they suited each other. Now? I just want to play as two characters side-by-side with a dominantly sword-based moveset.

Similar to the reason I still support Anna and Tiki in a duo. I think it would be interesting to have equal characters with exact opposite movesets, and the same gravity/speed. Anna with a sword and Tiki with more magic-based moves. And when one dies, the other is mainly unaffected, and continues to play but with less defense and range. Unlike Popo, who is majorly restricted after losing Nana. Or Nana, who dies after losing Popo. I like the idea of/ want to play as an "independent team"

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Robin is Grima. The two are intertwined. In my opinion, Robin is a reincarnation. He/she becomes Grima ultimately based on their decisions. It's like Anakin skywalker becoming Darth Vader. Was he being possessed? I don't think so.
That's a terrible comparison, Anakin became Darth Vader by choice, not by being possessed. Robin is the vessel of Grima born from a pure bloodline, he didn't become Grima because he chose that path, it was forced upon him in the original and FoD timelines. Otherwise, he completely resists him in the main timeline as well as pulls a "screw you" to Grima in the FoD timeline when finally given the chance.

Essentially, the relationship of Grima to Robin is more like Julius from Geneaology of the Holy War or Nayru being possessed by Veran. In neither case is the character possessed the villain, the villain is the one in control of their body.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Oh wow, everytime I finish typing up a response another reply was made to my roster. Maybe this was worth a repost after all!
---
I love the roster, great choices, seems good. And the icons.
Thanks!
Do you happen to have an archive of these?
nope.avi
If I were to make them in regular Roster Maker format, I'd have to remake all of them again. Which I'd rather do later than now...

---
Pretty.... it's a very solid, nice roster.

If I may ask, if you had to get rid of three characters on that roster, who would they be? Just so I can see a smaller size.
Thanks a ton!
And for your question on cutting characters...
• Black Shadow
• Robin
• Isaac OR Shulk OR Snake (Moreso the Former two though)
I believe everybody else on there should stay for various reasons.

• Everyone on Brawl's Roster is really worth keeping. Snake I can see go for some varying reasons, but I'd much rather see him stay.
• A third DK character is very requested, so whether it's K. Rool or not I think it's important to keep open a space for one.
• Ridley is Ridley.
• Palutena leak still seems very legit.
• Isaac / Shulk are still pretty popular characters with great games. Shulk moreso I think, his popularity is more apparent worldwide than Isaac's from what I can tell / see.
• Mewtwo because Mewtwo.
• Little Mac because Little Mac.
• Muddy Mole is the retro character of my roster and no matter who it is, we're getting one.

---
Looks like Angelglory's Ridley pose is already getting some use.
yes it is just so perfect
Absolutely in love with this roster, though I'd rather have Takamaru than Muddy. Other than that, 10/10, would play.
If I had 50 characters, Takamaru would probably be my pic (next to Layton because bias). No but seriously, considering my reasoning for Muddy in the first place. I'd make Takamaru #50 so he can formally replace Pit as the Famicom's representative.
Don't think we don't know who's under that Random slot, you silly.
You're the only person to actually point out that out, so as far as I can tell, you are the only one who knows who is under the Random slot.
---
Hey @ AEMehr AEMehr , what about Muddy AND Takamaru?
Then we get an NES and Gameboy rep, and no WTF retro.
Like I said before, if I had 50 characters I'd probably go that route.
And I NEED YOUR ICONS.
YOU WILL HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEM TO BE MADE IN THE DISTANT FUTURE
NEEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEH

---
Looks pretty good. The only irk for me is BS when there is no Zelda newcomer, but im thinking thats preferential
I just don't find a Zelda newcomer likely. Besides, if Black Shadow does inherit most of Ganondorf's old moveset... Wouldn't that technically mean Zelda gets a newcomer in Ganondorf??
---
But yeah, thanks everyone for your kind comments!

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I support the duo Chrom and Lucina, simply because I want to play as a sword duo. I want that. It used to be because I liked those two characters and thought they suited each other. Now? I just want to play as two characters side-by-side with a dominantly sword-based moveset.

Similar to the reason I still support Anna and Tiki in a duo. I think it would be interesting to have equal characters with exact opposite movesets, and the same gravity/speed. Anna with a sword and Tiki with more magic-based moves. And when one dies, the other is mainly unaffected, and continues to play but with less defense and range. Unlike Popo, who is majorly restricted after losing Nana. Or Nana, who dies after losing Popo. I like the idea of/ want to play as an "independent team"
Not to rain down on your parade, but unfortunately an idea like that is probably going to lead to the "traditional" incompetence of failing to properly balance a gimmick. Hence why from my prospective, I have the conflict of desperately trying to find something interesting about Chrom and Lucina, but at the same time past experience gives me a sour taste in my mouth because I don't want anything game breaking or impractical. In other words, neither another Ice Climbers or Pokemon Trainer.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I think what could make Chrom Lucina interesting is using the skills from FE:A as special moves.
There's the Dual Guard which would allow Lucina to guard Chrom, and the Dual Strike, which would make combos a lot more interesting.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
so there's confirmed to be an all-new new Nintendo game going to be shown soon.

what if it's a new Metroid and Ridley is announced on TF's release date? that'd be something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom