• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
He appears on rosters frequently still. I don't see why everyone on this site just puts their hands over their ears and closes their eyes when it comes to Chrom.
Because Roy is their boy, of course.
Everyone is in deep deep denial about Chrom. He's very likely, but some don't like to admit it. I respect the people who hate him and admit that he is likely, but that's very few.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
He appears on rosters frequently still. I don't see why everyone on this site just puts their hands over their ears and closes their eyes when it comes to Chrom. (Especially when the alternatives are JUST as awful)
Attributing an increase in placement on rosters due to being in the center of the public's eye isn't exactly the same thing as trying to deny Chrom's popularity, only explain why it might've fluctuated.

Characters experiencing ups and downs in popularity and therefore prediction is hardly exclusive to just him, all I was implying is that he, like most others who receive recent games, experience a slight influx during that period of reception. I'm not saying he's unpopular, I'm just saying he was probably at his most popular then.

I mean look at your 2010 poll. How else would Isaac have gotten first place if not for the effects of Dark Dawn?

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Everyone is in deep deep denial about Chrom. He's very likely, but some don't like to admit it. I respect the people who hate him and admit that he is likely, but that's very few.
I would rather have robin, but either way Chrom WILL be in smash 4. (if not playable, as a trophy, and even then playable is VERY likely)

Louie G.

Smash Hero
What's wrong with Chrom??!?
He's too much like Marth.
Wait, he's too much like Ike.
Wait, he's not Roy.
He's boring, he has no potential, etc etc etc.
Of course we don't know this to be fact, everyone just decides that there's no hope for a unique Chrom even though they simultaneously support a clone and have never even seen a playable Chrom in Smash Bros. People jump to conclusions, they should really just give Chrom a chance.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Wait, he's not Roy.
Of course we don't know this to be fact, everyone just decides that there's no hope for a unique Chrom even though they simultaneously support a clone and have never even seen a playable Chrom in Smash Bros. People jump to conclusions, they should really just give Chrom a chance.
What if you want Tactician, not Roy.

that's me.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Wait, he's not Roy.
Don't assume that people who don't think Chrom will get in supports Roy.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Wait, he's not Roy.
I present to you, bias. We can't have another blue-haired sword-user, it has to be red.

Theory:

A FE newcomer is low priority. However, to promote FE Awakening, they decide to include one of it's characters as playable.

However, they feel Chrom wouldn't feel right as a semi-clone, so they change Marty's costume and add...

Owain as an Ike clone.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Don't assume that people who don't think Chrom will get in supports Roy.
Roy is the most popular choice. I mentioned three other reasons that people tend to bring up as well, I never said Roy is the only supported character by Chrom detractors.
What if you want Tactician, not Roy.

that's me.
Yuck, I don't like Robin.
Sorry man.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I present to you, bias. We can't have another blue-haired sword-user, it has to be red.

Theory:

A FE newcomer is low priority. However, to promote FE Awakening, they decide to include one of it's characters as playable.

However, they feel Chrom wouldn't feel right as a semi-clone, so they change Marty's costume and add...

Owain as an Ike clone.
Why would Owain be an Ike clone? He doesn't even fit Ike's style in Smash bros at all, Owain is a myrmidon, after all.

On the Topic of Chrom, I just personally don't like him both in a Fire Emblem and Smash perspective, he revived the role of the generic marth-esque clone lord. When most were hopeful it was gone from FE8, (partially 7 if you forget Eliwood.) and onward.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Really?
Huh, I didn't know. :ohwell:
a small difference.

however, most people say they are the same since the tactician would most likely based off Awakening Tactician. there are other versions of the the tactician.

here's the tactician sprite from FE:7

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Why would Owain be an Ike clone? He doesn't even fit Ike's style in Smash bros at all, Owain is a myrmidon, after all.

On the Topic of Chrom, I just personally don't like him both in a Fire Emblem and Smash perspective, he revived the role of the generic marth-esque clone lord. When most were hopeful it was gone from FE8, (partially 7 if you forget Eliwood.) and onward.
Yeah, but it was a revival of the whole series, it's why Lucina masqueraded as Marth. Of course we were going to have a lord that resembled Marth.

Besides, that Owain bit as was joke, the joke is that I meant Lucina.

D

Deleted member

He appears on rosters frequently still. I don't see why everyone on this site just puts their hands over their ears and closes their eyes when it comes to Chrom. (Especially when the alternatives are JUST as awful)
I'm one that sees both sides to the argument.
If we look at what Chrom is in general, then it is true that he's not inherently special.

Though, there are available options to make him special, such as the Reclass system (people have brought up that Smash doesn't have a 'stance' fighter yet; Chrom can serve as this) or the Dual system involving the Avatar or Lucina.

Whatever happens happens.
After Cosmic Peach Copy was made the way she was, I have no doubt in my mind he can do the same for Chrom. It just really depends on whether he sees value in it or not, which is impossible to predict.

Last edited by a moderator:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Chrom doesn't bring anything special to the table, and quite frankly there are many FE characters that do and I would want instead.
But Chrom is the obvious choice in my eyes, and if he doesn't do anything special then I worry for this site's sanity.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Wait, he's not Roy.
I don't get your hate on roy. He was made a clone on purpose, not because he IS a clone.

Any FE character can be made exciting, its up to sakurai to decide on which one excites HIM the most.

So if he figures roy, we get roy. If he goes oh hey chrom, we get chrom. what we think or say has no bearing on the outcome, it's best to wait and see. Or discuss possible FE movesets instead of dancing in circles some more.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
@ XStarWarriorX XStarWarriorX
I like Roy in Melee. I don't like his fans who try to push him in every situation, thinking that he is more important than anyone else, and put other characters (like Chrom or Lucina) down.
That's what I don't like. And it's turned me off about the character, so I don't want Roy back at all. I don't hate him, I hate the denial that some fans have.
Not directed towards anyone in particular btw.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Dunno what kind of stuff Chrom does Awakening (mainly me not having the game), but I'll just say if a character has enough source material to pull from and can make a working moveset round that, then their inclusion isn't so out of the question.

D

Deleted member

FE arguments turned me off to damn near every character that isn't Marth and Ike.
Hell, I wouldn't care at this point if FE didn't get a new character in Smash 4 and just left those two.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Yo, right here. Think he's kinda bland personally, but extremely likely.

And yes, I'd rather have Roy or Robin. I want to shoot fire at people with a Fire Emblem character. What the hell is the point otherwise?

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Since I have not played any FE games, I am indifferent as to which FE newcomer makes the cut.

Cuts would be unfortunate, though, so having Ike return would be for the best. I enjoyed his heavy play style in Brawl, which contrasted well with Marth's finesse. Whoever the third FE character is, I'd hope that their properties distinguish them from Marth and Ike, something to make them distinct.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah at this point I'd just be content with Marth and Ike in terms of Fire Emblem representation too. Sure I'd love to see Anna or Lyn but since their so unlikely, I would be fine if we ended up sticking with just those two guys.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
If Robin is a Gary Stu, what would that make the Miis? :surprised:
Robin isn't really supposed to be you, if he was, his personality would not show as much. They made Robin too much of a person, and it wasn't that great of a person imo.

Last edited:

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
While Robin is my most wanted Fire Emblem newcomer, if Chrom or Lucina got in, I'd be ok with it as long as they offered something interesting to the game. Roy? I don't want him in unless FE6 is remade. I could play Melee, but I need more than that. I'd rather play as Roy in his own series first.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I actually like Chrom.

On a slightly different topic, even though (assuming a Nintendo Direct is coming this week to reveal a newcomer) a DK newcomer character is likely to be revealed to promote Tropical Freeze. I believe most people around here think a DK character is most likely going to be revealed at that Direct. I also believe this. However, I could easily see some curveball character being revealed instead, like a FE character or possibly Palutena.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Online dating.
Can't wait to play through the Miiverse Emissary campaign.

Robin isn't really supposed to be you, if he was, his personality would not show as much. They made Robin too much of a person, and it wasn't that great of a person imo.
You'd think that someone who steals from the rich and gives to the poor wouldn't be all that bad. But I see what you're saying.

Last edited:

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I actually like Chrom.

On a slightly different topic, even though (assuming a Nintendo Direct is coming this week to reveal a newcomer) a DK newcomer character is likely to be revealed to promote Tropical Freeze. I believe most people around here think a DK character is most likely going to be revealed at that Direct. I also believe this. However, I could easily see some curveball character being revealed instead, like a FE character or possibly Palutena.
There's never really been a curveball character when it comes to a highly awaited game, so it will most likely be a DK rep, most likely Diddy.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
There's never really been a curveball character when it comes to a highly awaited game, so it will most likely be a DK rep, most likely Diddy.
I was actually working under the assumption that Diddy would be revealed before the hypothetical newcomer and before any Nintendo Directs.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
So how many people think Ridley is a stage hazard?

I have a strong feeling both him and King K Rool are a no go.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom