• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Having a mix of unexpected and expected is not really a pro.
Would you rather have all expected or unexpected? Too many expected characters and it goes unnoticed (You just made a good guess!) too many unexpected and people call you a troll. (No way. Stop Trolling.)

Maybe the leaker made it that way intentionally...?

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Would you rather have all expected or unexpected? Too many expected characters and it goes unnoticed (You just made a good guess!) too many unexpected and people call you a troll. (No way. Stop Trolling.)

Maybe the leaker made it that way intentionally...?
A balance between them, but that's still not a pro. :p
I don't think there are intentions when showing off leaked information.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
A balance between them, but that's still not a pro. :p
I don't think there are intentions when showing off leaked information.
Really? I mean, if I were leaking info, I'd be tactful with how much and what I said. But that's just me, we could think totally different.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Pros
-Reliable Guesses so far.
-A good mix of expected and unexpected characters.
-Sal's been right before.

And... I'm having a hard time coming up with cons.. can someone help me out?
...And this is why you have pessimists like me around.
-First time around didn't go well (with 1/2 revealed). Mind you, the first time was meant to be characters revealed at E3 2013.
-"Pokemon from X/Y" is a tad on the vague side. And even if X/Y is new, there's still no excuse. Somehow Sakurai knew about Roy before his game came out.

Last edited:

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Pros
-Reliable Guesses so far.
-A good mix of expected and unexpected characters.
-Sal's been right before.

And... I'm having a hard time coming up with cons.. can someone help me out?
How about its a leak and theres thousands of leaks for Smash so by redundancy, one is likely going to be right by a mere coincidence.

Also, that leaks are usually never completely correct.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
-First time around didn't go well (with 1/2 revealed). Mind you, the first time was meant to be characters revealed at E3 2013.
-"Pokemon from X/Y" is a tad on the vague side. And even if X/Y is new, there's still no excuse. Somehow Sakurai knew about Roy before his game came out.
Thanks Mr.VG. Looks like I was wrong about the worth of Pessimists. :p

I'm joking, of course.

Morbi

Scavenger
How about its a leak and theres thousands of leaks for Smash so by redundancy, one is likely going to be right by a mere coincidence.

Also, that leaks are usually never completely correct.
If the leaks are "by redundancy" it would not be logical that one is likely to be right by mere coincidence, it would be likely that most are correct merely based on coincidence.

If leaks are usually never completely correct, that defeats the purpose of notion one unless you are asserting that there is that ONE golden leak. In which case, I highly doubt it is the Sal leak because there have already been a few minor inconsistencies.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I choose not to believe in the leak because I dislike all the characters that were leaked, haha. It's completely biased reasoning, sure, but it's what I'm going with xD.

Morbi

Scavenger
I do not mind the Sal leak characters as of current, but a year down the line when I am trying to enjoy Smash, I am going to look back and remember characters that I could envision in the game. The most prominent Legend of Zelda villain, one that makes Ganondorf look as though he is a secondary character. King K. Rool, the perfect heavy-weight with vast move-set potential, another Donkey Kong character, something that has been long overdue. Ridley, the main antagonist of Metroid. A character that offers so much to the roster diversity. I don't count Mewtwo as he is blatantly in the game as a playable character. The second Sal deconfirms him is the second I realize that the leak is 100% BS.

There are others, but these are the big ones. I am going to look back, remember that I wanted these characters. And then I am going to look at the character select screen avoiding most of the newcomers. Luckily, there is reason to believe the leak as fallacious.

Morbi

Scavenger
I love how so many people hates sal's rooster :awesome:
YL confirmed anyone?
As an avid Legend of Zelda fan, I would actually be content with another Link; however, he would need to have an alternative move-set. Link has so much raw potential and it is wasted on a clone. I have never understood that, I mean I did in Melee and Brawl where he was a last-minute clone. I don't understand why he is the same in Smash 4 though. I mean, they are decloning him by altering Link which is just pathetic. That being said, I would be slightly disappointed if the 3rd Link wasn't Wolf Link or Deku Link and even more disappointed that a 3rd Link was chosen over some of the other plausible candidates. But it is better than nothing!

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
As an avid Legend of Zelda fan, I would actually be content with another Link; however, he would need to have an alternative move-set. Link has so much raw potential and it is wasted on a clone. I have never understood that, I mean I did in Melee and Brawl where he was a last-minute clone. I don't understand why he is the same in Smash 4 though. I mean, they are decloning him by altering Link which is just pathetic. That being said, I would be slightly disappointed if the 3rd Link wasn't Wolf Link or Deku Link and even more disappointed that a 3rd Link was chosen over some of the other plausible candidates. But it is better than nothing!
I tough about toon link's clone aspect and I don't think you can change how the character feel because yes it's a different desing but because he;s still from the same series as link, he has to feel the same as link. Even if you add any item that only wind waker uses, the feel will still feel the same you don't declone someone by changing some move you have to change the whole playstyle (which toon link did just a LITTLE but still, it's not enough for him to not be a clone).

Morbi

Scavenger
I tough about toon link's clone aspect and I don't think you can change how the character feel because yes it's a different desing but because he;s still from the same series as link, he has to feel the same as link. Even if you add any item that only wind waker uses, the feel will still feel the same you don't declone someone by changing some move you have to change the whole playstyle (which toon link did just a LITTLE but still, it's not enough for him to not be a clone).
That is a completely arbitrary notion, one that Sakurai clearly adheres to. However, Project M managed to further declone Toon Link and he still feels like Link. They changed his jab to his WW combo, they gave him his dash attack and forward smash from Smash 64, and they returned his Fire Arrows (while adding effects to arrows and bombs). He is still pretty much feels the same, like Link, but he is an entirely new character.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I do not mind the Sal leak characters as of current, but a year down the line when I am trying to enjoy Smash, I am going to look back and remember characters that I could envision in the game. The most prominent Legend of Zelda villain, one that makes Ganondorf look as though he is a secondary character. King K. Rool, the perfect heavy-weight with vast move-set potential, another Donkey Kong character, something that has been long overdue. Ridley, the main antagonist of Metroid. A character that offers so much to the roster diversity. I don't count Mewtwo as he is blatantly in the game as a playable character. The second Sal deconfirms him is the second I realize that the leak is 100% BS.

There are others, but these are the big ones. I am going to look back, remember that I wanted these characters. And then I am going to look at the character select screen avoiding most of the newcomers. Luckily, there is reason to believe the leak as fallacious.
I mean, I don't mind chrom, he's just bland, imo. I'd prefer not to have 3 blue haired FE sword users, and ike is fairly unique. or even chorus men, because I know there's at least one more WTF surprise sakurai has for us left, there always is. I'd prefer like, mach rider, and he's always on his bike, or something, but I mean, the point of a wtf character is i didn't expect it.

But like, I hate the idea of a second kid icarus rep. no way in hell does the series deserve it, imo. I hate pac-man's 3D form. If sakurai could somehow work out the original pacman I would actually be ecstatic, but 3D pacman makes me wanna barf.

mii's are just a little bleh. I mean, sure, a customizable face would be aight, but they already feel so out of place and blase in mario kart, I just don't like them. I feel like them + wii fit is overkill for wii themed characters.

And I never played xenoblade so I have no want of shulk. maybe I'd like him if i played the game, but just his art alone doesn't get me interested in him. another JRPG sword user? no thank you please.

I just want Ridley lol I don't care about too much else at this point. who knows how that'll turn out. I've gotten a bit excited on the prospects of Ganon, Isaac, and Ray01, and K. Rool, but idk how likely any of them are. I'd like to see mewtwo and snake return as well.

Honestly I'm pretty easy to please, I love the new additions to the roster, I can't wait to try Rosalina, Villager, and Greninja, and Megaman. Charizard is my fav pokemon by far, so I love to see him solo. I was rooting for that waaay pre brawl, made the original charizard support thread xD. I'll be a little sad if Ridley is a stage hazard, but the pyrosphere is so ****ing beautiful that it's hard to be mad. just sucks to see metriod always getting the short end of the stick from nintendo.

but the less of the remaining sal characters I see in the final roster, honestly, the happier I'll be.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
This is basically my response to the Gematsu leak:

I don't doubt Palutena's or Chrom's chances, but I just can't see this guy leaking most, if not all of the newcomers for this game. Sakurai and Nintendo aren't hopelessly dated enough to have a lax security on the secrets for this game.

Maybe it's also because of my opposition towards Chorus Kids. They really just scream "GIMMICK CHARACTER" to me.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Pessimist? Heck, I'd say optimist! I'd like to think that rumor is false.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
I one of those creepy guys that love clones but i understand your posture.
I dont really think link's new abbilities are supposed to declone TL though, and even if that was the intention, i dont see it pathetic neither... Link needs many buffs, urgently, while TL can do it just fine this time around.

Morbi

Scavenger
I mean, I don't mind chrom, he's just bland, imo. I'd prefer not to have 3 blue haired FE sword users, and ike is fairly unique. or even chorus men, because I know there's at least one more WTF surprise sakurai has for us left, there always is. I'd prefer like, mach rider, and he's always on his bike, or something, but I mean, the point of a wtf character is i didn't expect it.

But like, I hate the idea of a second kid icarus rep. no way in hell does the series deserve it, imo. I hate pac-man's 3D form. If sakurai could somehow work out the original pacman I would actually be ecstatic, but 3D pacman makes me wanna barf.

mii's are just a little bleh. I mean, sure, a customizable face would be aight, but they already feel so out of place and blase in mario kart, I just don't like them. I feel like them + wii fit is overkill for wii themed characters.

And I never played xenoblade so I have no want of shulk. maybe I'd like him if i played the game, but just his art alone doesn't get me interested in him. another JRPG sword user? no thank you please.

I just want Ridley lol I don't care about too much else at this point. who knows how that'll turn out. I've gotten a bit excited on the prospects of Ganon, Isaac, and Ray01, and K. Rool, but idk how likely any of them are. I'd like to see mewtwo and snake return as well.

Honestly I'm pretty easy to please, I love the new additions to the roster, I can't wait to try Rosalina, Villager, and Greninja, and Megaman. Charizard is my fav pokemon by far, so I love to see him solo. I was rooting for that waaay pre brawl, made the original charizard support thread xD. I'll be a little sad if Ridley is a stage hazard, but the pyrosphere is so ****ing beautiful that it's hard to be mad. just sucks to see metriod always getting the short end of the stick from nintendo.

but the less of the remaining sal characters I see in the final roster, honestly, the happier I'll be.
That last line was really compelling; I agree with that sentiment wholeheartedly. In the end, the roster doesn't matter too much, as long as there are more than 10 newcomers, I am happy. I am just going to stick to my mains, the Triforce. I might reinvigorate myself for veterans that I previously enjoyed, but I hated their mechanics. Namely Zero-Suit Samus and Charizard.

The only newcomers that I am excited for are: Rosalina, Little Mac, and Greninja. Greninja might replace Sheik as one of my mains if he is more fun. Little Mac is a character that I am going to main no matter what. Rosalina will be there for when I get bored, she looks like a high-skill, high-reward marionette character. Not only that, but she is my favorite Mario character. So I will be set no matter what.

But again, the more characters from Sal's list confirmed, the less happy I will be.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I doubted Little Mac's potential.

But Sakurai really defined the character through creative mechanics and themes such as the power bar resulting in a KO punch, inputs to the forward Smash, armor on smashes, weak aerial attacks, bad recovery and an overall pro-ground playstyle with the appropriate stats.

After I saw what he did with a character I did not want, I do not mind any character he adds. And the Sal leaks do seem promising. I am excited to see what he can do with other characters I deem bland (Chrom) and redundant (Mii after Villager made it in).

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
Are we STILL talking about Sal? Ugh. lets change the topic to something less controversial. Ridley How does everyone feel about Isaac's chances? Do you want to see him or not?

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Are we STILL talking about Sal? Ugh. lets change the topic to something less controversial. Ridley How does everyone feel about Isaac's chances? Do you want to see him or not?
I wouldn't mind seeing Issac playable, however I have no attachment to him. I've yet to play Golden Sun.

Morbi

Scavenger
I one of those creepy guys that love clones but i understand your posture.
I dont really think link's new abbilities are supposed to declone TL though, and even if that was the intention, i dont see it pathetic neither... Link needs many buffs, urgently, while TL can do it just fine this time around.
I am actually another one of those creepy people that love clones. I usually play the clone variant over the original.

In Smash 64, Luigi was one of my mains. In Melee, I played Pichu over Pikachu, Roy over Marth, Dr. Mario and Luigi over Mario, Falco over Fox, Ganondorf over Captain Falcon. The only exception to the rule was that I played Link over Young Link. In Brawl, I played Lucas over Ness and Toon Link over Link.

So in every instance but one, I prefer the clone. I don't even mind clones, but when you can switch them up, you should. I mean, Falco is still a clone of Fox in Brawl, but they altered his move-set slightly so that he is more of his own character while retaining that clone feel. Same applies to Ganondorf and Luigi.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I don't think he has a chance unfortunately. Little Mac will probably be the only promoted Assist Trophy for this game, and seeing that Golden Sun hasn't had a new game for a while it's probably not on Sakurai's mind right now.

BTW, I'm not against him. It would be cool to see him playable.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Isaac is a character that I would be very interested in playing; he would offer so much. However, as most people presume, I do not find him entirely likely unfortunately. No doubt he would be one of the better character additions. I just have a feeling that he will return as an assist trophy. I was a big supporter of assist trophy promotions a couple a months ago. I wanted Waluigi, Tingle, and Samurai Goroh (I actually wanted Black Shadow, but Goroh was the next best thing). But two of those are already deconfirmed, and I expect Isaac and Tingle will follow suit.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Isaac's chances are low, it's not really a big Nintendo franchise most people tend to say that could get a playable character, and with the low reception Dark Dawn had, I doubt Isaac has the merits to be in even with the great moveset potential he has.

Last edited:

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
Even if the game goes gold in August, there's still three month left to complete characters for the Wii U version. I have been saying that we could be seeing such a situation happen here and I have a feeling I might be right. That's why I could see characters like Squirtle, Ivysaur, Wolf/Ike/Jigglypuff (if one of them miss out on the initial 3DS version), Dixie Kong, Roy (IF Ike isn't cut), Bowser Jr., and to a lesser extent, a 3rd gen Pokémon, miss out in the initial roster but end up in the Wii U version from the start and offered as free 3DS DLC from the start (except maybe 3rd Gen Pokémon). If we're really going to push for super optimism, we could see something like fifty characters on the 3DS version initially and then when the Wii U version arrives, both end up with fifty-five characters.Ridley doesn't exactly have the greatest chance of being playable, but they wouldn't need to do this to make Ridley playable. That's like saying Snake would be cut because of the more cartoony atmosphere of this game, it doesn't make sense.
Actually, that's a good part of why I don't think Snake will come back.

jweb22

Smash Apprentice
I don't think he has a chance unfortunately. Little Mac will probably be the only promoted Assist Trophy for this game, and seeing that Golden Sun hasn't had a new game for a while it's probably not on Sakurai's mind right now.

BTW, I'm not against him. It would be cool to see him playable.
Understand that I'm not picking on you, it's just that I see this quote WAY to often, "seeing that Golden Sun hasn't had a new game for a while," and the quote upsets me because it is technically incorrect as Little Mac's last game was in 2008 and Isaac's last appearance was in Golden Sun: Dark Dawn which was 2010!

According to reports I've seen of the Japanese character request list pre-Brawl there are only a handful of highly requested characters that haven't been confirmed or deconfirmed yet but were mentioned multiple times that are still possible newcomers. I don't have the list in front of me but if memory serves me right those were: Ridley, King K Rool, Lip, Takamaru and Issac. I think Geno was one too but we all know that's not gonna happen. The point is that Isaac or possibly his son Matthew have a really good shot of being playable in the game.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I am actually another one of those creepy people that love clones. I usually play the clone variant over the original.

In Smash 64, Luigi was one of my mains. In Melee, I played Pichu over Pikachu, Roy over Marth, Dr. Mario and Luigi over Mario, Falco over Fox, Ganondorf over Captain Falcon. The only exception to the rule was that I played Link over Young Link. In Brawl, I played Lucas over Ness and Toon Link over Link.

So in every instance but one, I prefer the clone. I don't even mind clones, but when you can switch them up, you should. I mean, Falco is still a clone of Fox in Brawl, but they altered his move-set slightly so that he is more of his own character while retaining that clone feel. Same applies to Ganondorf and Luigi.
Well, I think we need a few clones... just not as many as Melee had. :grin:

Isaac's chances are low, it's not really a big Nintendo franchise most people tend to say that could get a playable character, but with the low reception Dark Dawn had, I doubt Isaac has the merits to be in even with the great moveset potential he has.
It really is a shame, huh? Not all the great characters get in Smash Bros... *Rest in piece Skull Kid and Dillon.*

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
You don't think he will come back based on the cartoon atmosphere of the game? I mean, there are more logical reasons, objective reasons.
Probably, but it seems odd that Sakurai has been pointing out things like how the ray gun is more cartoonish now. I would kind of feel like if he's making the weapons less realistic they won't include a character with realistic weapons. That could definitely be wrong, but that's just how I feel about it.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
I'm curious as to what everyone's Smash roster guidelines are.
Basically, what standards do you go by to determine who would make for a good character in Smash?
I'm just looking to collect information, seeing as how I actually have very few "requests" for roster additions.
If I like who they are and if they bring something interesting to the table.

Also, I wouldn't mind if this leak was legit. What I WOULD mind is if that's all we were getting.

Last edited:

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Probably, but it seems odd that Sakurai has been pointing out things like how the ray gun is more cartoonish now. I would kind of feel like if he's making the weapons less realistic they won't include a character with realistic weapons. That could definitely be wrong, but that's just how I feel about it.
I find brawl more cartoonish than smash 4, is just me?

D

Deleted member

Swords are a realistic weapon that can kill anyone instantly. I guess we can cut everyone with swords now.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
Swords are a realistic weapon that can kill anyone instantly. I guess we can cut everyone with swords now.
He hasn't been altering the swords like he's been altering guns. I understand what point you're trying to make but swords don't have the same sort of connotation as guns do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom