• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Until someone can get CAW Evolution to legitimately confess he's in on Sal's little scheme and he didn't really get additional verification about Sal's source, I say people are talking out their ***** when it comes to discrediting the leak.
I agree that it' doubtful that the ones he got right were coincidental, but it doesn't mean that everyone else on the list will appear as well. We have no way of knowing what exactly his source told him, or even if the source was telling the 100% truth. Either Sal or his leak could have added a couple of their own picks to the list to **** with us. That's easily a possibility, and when there's a possibility, there's speculation. I respect those that believe the leak, but I won't respect it being treated like fact.

Last edited:

SketchFox7

Smash Journeyman
I'm still hoping for DLC regarding stages & characters between the two launches. Maybe the first Smash Wii U Direct post 3DS launch will announce a new character or two, along with announcing that that character(s) will be available for download on the 3DS the day the Wii U Smash launches, eventually a few more characters are announced and by the time we get close to Wii U launch 4 or 5 characters have been announced as DLC. What I'm hoping for is some kind of incentive, like maybe with every new copy of the Wii U version, it comes with a code for the DLC characters that are on disc for the Wii U, but the code is for the 3DS. it would be a nice treat for those with both versions, but the characters would still be available separately on the 3DS eShop. Stages can be handled differently since they'll differ between version anyways.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Look at Sceptile. All of these other fighters are looking extremely amped, humble, or serious, but then there's Sceptile. His face literally screams, "You thought I wouldn't be in this game, didn't you squidward?"
Snivy? *****, please. He was the original Smugleaf.

And I see Golden Lotus has Grovyle on his/her signature wishlist. A generic Grovyle or the one from PMD2?

As for DLC...eh. Dunno.
The good characters should already be in the initial game. DLC characters should be characters that were scrapped from SSB4 at one point and the Melee clones.

----

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
People really should know that there have been supposed leaks that seemed very credible only to be proven fake. Paul Gale and Playstation All-Stars was an infamous one.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Snivy? *****, please. He was the original Smugleaf.

And I see Golden Lotus has Grovyle on his/her signature wishlist. A generic Grovyle or the one from PMD2?

As for DLC...eh. Dunno.
The good characters should already be in the initial game. DLC characters should be characters that were scrapped from SSB4 at one point and the Melee clones.
The one for PMD2. I always thought he'd have been cool for Brawl. I think it's very late now, but I still want him.

On DLC, I'm opposed to characters altogether, even if they're cut characters.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
People are going to be real shocked when the Sal leak ends up being real.

They really shouldn't be.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
People are going to be real shocked when the Sal leak ends up being real.

And some people are going to be really shocked if the Sal leak ends up being false.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
I know the Sal leak is gonna turn out to be true, but I also know that Ridley and Mewtwo are gonna be playable, so I'm wondering if there any other characters he didn't leak.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I could see the Gematsu Leak being partially false. It's possible that the guy got legitimate info at first and lied the second time to troll us.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
People are going to be real shocked when the Paul Gale leak ends up being real.

This is the kind of stuff that the Playstation All-stars fan base said only to find out that it wasn't real.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
That's a pretty big IF.
I'm not so sure. I haven't really seen anything that would indicate that this leak is absolutely beyond all question or doubt. As a result, I shall continue to assume that it, like all other leaks we've seen for this game, is simply fake.

Now, you are of course free to believe otherwise and write me off as a fool in denial, and perhaps I am. At the same time though, unless we have definitive proof that shows that this leak, this particular set of character "predictions," could not be anything else other than legitimate information about the game straight from the source, I am free to believe that you could be wrong, as well.

Last edited:

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
That's a pretty big IF.
Both sides of the story are pretty big IFs, really. It's just a matter of which you think is true. I don't believe the Sal leak is 100% accurate. Because Sal and his source could have added to the list themselves, we can't treat the source as fact, even with the accurate characters thus far. That's my opinion, and I'll ask people to respect it. I'll respect those that believe it to be completely true, but I can't respect it being treated like absolute fact.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Both sides of the story are pretty big IFs, really. It's just a matter of which you think is true. I don't believe the Sal leak is 100% accurate. Because Sal and his source could have added to the list themselves, I believe that we can't treat the source as fact, even with the accurate characters thus far. That's my opinion, and I'll ask people to respect. I'll respect those that believe it to be completely true, but I won't respect it being treated like absolute fact.
I'm not so sure. I haven't really seen anything that would indicate that this leak is absolutely beyond all question or doubt. As a result, I shall continue to assume that it, like all other leaks we've seen for this game, is simply fake.

Now, you are of course free to believe otherwise a write me off as a fool in denial, and perhaps I am. At the same time though, unless we have definitive proof that shows that this leak, this particular set of character "predictions," could not be anything else other than legitimate information about the game straight from the source, I am free to believe that you could be wrong, as well.
I'm understanding your concerns.

I'm just getting some big deja-vu vibes from Pre-Brawl.

The discussion about the full Brawl roster leak and this is eerily similar.

Same with the X and Y leaks.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Glyphoscythe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Glyphoscythe
3DS FC
0834-0985-0680
No matter what the outcome, there's going to be a lot of "I told you so"s thrown around, and it's going to be irritating. I'm not writing the leak off, I just don't think it's that unreasonable to have some skepticism about it. People need to stop being so intense about it.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I'm understanding your concerns.

I'm just getting some big deja-vu vibes from Pre-Brawl.

The discussion about the full Brawl roster leak and this is eerily similar.

Same with the X and Y leaks.
Sure, we've brushed off legitimate leaks before. But there have also been intances elsewhere where a "legitimate" leak turned out false. The conclusion we can draw from this is that leaks can be real or fake, and we can have absolutely no idea what the truth of the matter is.

Also, as a Pokemon fan myself, what X and Y leaks are you referring to, exactly?

@ Shalashaska Shalashaska No, you don't necessarily have to choose a side. You can just say you find it likely or unlikely, or 50/50. The only way you could really choose a side is if you make the claim that the leak is either 100% true or false. Only by claiming that there is no alternative possibility than what you say it is can you ever actually be wrong about it.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
No matter what the outcome, there's going to be a lot of "I told you so"s thrown around, and it's going to be irritating. I'm not writing the leak off, I just don't think it's that unreasonable to have some skepticism about it. People need to stop being so intense about it.
Of couse I'm intense...

My big IFs are on the line.

Also, as a Pokemon fan myself, what X and Y leaks are you referring to, exactly?
Pokebeach.

Last edited:

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
I'm less worried the leak is real (outside of Chorus Men and WFT I'd argue it's a pretty safe leak) and more concerned it's the final newcomer list. It just kinda feels a tad underwhelming to me, even though I don't know how a chunk of them will play.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The only thing that worries me about the leak is the lack of K. Rool. :cry:
Even if the leak is true, it never says that's all the characters.

So regardless, K.Rool's still kicking. :D

D

Deleted member

The Sal Leak would be a ton easier to swallow if Chorus Men weren't on it.

You can quote me on that, everyone knows it's true.

And Miis and Pac-Man are to a much lesser extent, since we found them likely beforehand.
Honestly, the only reason why I'm not whining about the leak (let alone trying to disprove) is because of two things:
1. Mega Man is in.
2. Rosalina isn't part of the leak, indicating that Sal Romano very likely hasn't leaked all of the newcomers yet.

It's hardly a bad leak, though.
---
People, stop discussing the validity of the leak on this thread. This is not the place for it, go to here to discuss it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Morbi

Scavenger
Even if the leak is true, it never says that's all the characters.

So regardless, K.Rool's still kicking. :D
I can't imagine the roster being much larger though, I expect Ridley and Mewtwo on the roster. So in addition to the leak, that is 13 characters (based on my perception). I do not see the roster getting much bigger than this.

I was just quoting you to get my bearings (so don't mind me), I am just trying to figure out whether or not the leak coincides with what I believe to be reasonable.

PurpleSpaceDragon

Smash Journeyman
I'm calling it:

If the leak is the final Newcomer list, the vast majority of people who've been speculating on the roster will be very disappointed, and even angry at Sakurai for ignoring 3 of the top 5 most requested characters (Mewtwo, K. Rool, Ridley), the only fan-favorite Newcomers with a longstanding history and significance to Nintendo being Little Mac and Palutena.

Seriously, Sakurai? We only get 2 Newcomers with more than 8 years of history with Nintendo?

Chorus Kids, Mii, Chrom, Shulk, Rosalina, Greninja, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer are all from the past 8 years, most much newer.

There will be blood if the Sal leak represents the final list of Newcomers, I guarantee it.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm calling it:

If the leak is the final Newcomer list, the vast majority of people who've been speculating on the roster will be very disappointed, and even angry at Sakurai for ignoring 3 of the top 5 most requested characters (Mewtwo, K. Rool, Ridley), the only fan-favorite Newcomers with a longstanding history and significance to Nintendo being Little Mac and Palutena.

Seriously, Sakurai? We only get 2 Newcomers with more than 8 years of history with Nintendo?

Chorus Kids, Mii, Chrom, Shulk, Rosalina, Greninja, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer are all from the past 8 years.

There will be blood if the Sal leak represents the final list of Newcomers, I guarantee it.
Palutena has a longstanding history and she is significant to Nintendo? I wasn't aware of that.

But yeah, I feel like people give these characters a pass because they feel as though Sakurai is keeping the "good" ones secret. If he isn't, people are going to be pissy.

Last edited:

PurpleSpaceDragon

Smash Journeyman
Palutena has a longstanding history and she is significant to Nintendo? I wasn't aware of that.

But yeah, I feel like people give these characters a pass because they feel as though Sakurai is keeping the "good" ones secret. If he isn't, people are going to be pissy.
Well, she was in the original Kid icarus back in 1986, albeit non-playable. You're right though, saying Palutena has significant history and significance is stretching it.

It looks even worse if you view it as Sakurai choosing Palutena, his baby, as one of the only 2 Nintendo-exclusive characters from earlier than 2004 or so.

D

Deleted member

It's something that I'm betting on that people will be pissy about the final roster.
It happened with Melee.
It happened with Brawl.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
It probably even happened with Smash 64.

Damn it all!

That is it, right?

Highly Requested:

Ike (At least I think...)
Intelligent Systems suggested him when Sakurai asked. They might've done it because of his popularity or simply because he was the most recent and possibly marketable at the time.

-----

Last edited:

PurpleSpaceDragon

Smash Journeyman
It's something that I'm betting on that people will be pissy about the final roster.
It happened with Melee.
It happened with Brawl.
Yeah, but this would be far worse, given the characters Sakurai passed up in favor of things like Chorus Kids, Wi Fit Trainer, Greninja, Wii Fit Trainer, etc.

In Melee and Brawl the character additions were all pretty much aligned with who fans wanted added to the roster, given the time constraints the developers had.

This time, there's very little overlap between the characters that people have been pining for, and the characters Sakurai has chosen. So it'll definitely be worse, and the fan rage will be justified this time.

Morbi

Scavenger
Yeah, but this would be far worse, given the characters Sakurai passed up in favor of things like Chorus Kids, Wi Fit Trainer, Greninja, Wii Fit Trainer, etc.

In Melee and Brawl the character additions were all pretty much aligned with who fans wanted added to the roster, given the time constraints the developers had.

This time, there's very little overlap between the characters that people have been pining for, and the characters Sakurai has chosen. So it'll definitely be worse, and the fan rage will be justified this time.
I would be less offended at a character getting passed up in favor of Chorus Kids or Wii Fit Trainer than I would be if they were passed up for Pac-Man.
(This is also the first Smash roster that could influence sales as well, or at least in regards to the Wii U version)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Melee

Highly Requested:
Bowser
Peach
Mewtwo
Marth
Ganondorf (not as clone, though)

Not Highly Requested:
Zelda/Sheik
Ice Climbers
Mr. Game & Watch
Dr. Mario
Young Link
Pichu
Falco (among Star Fox characters, he was highly requested, but not in general)
Roy

Brawl

Highly Requested:
Meta Knight
Pit (arguable; it was popularity that got him in, but I don't remember how much popularity he had)
Wario
Ike (At least I think...)
Diddy Kong
Sonic
King Dedede
Olimar
Lucario
Toon Link
Wolf

Not Highly Requested:
Zero Suit Samus
Snake
Pokemon Trainer (debatable)
Lucas
R.O.B.

Smash 4 (Assuming the Sal characters are the only newcomers left)

Highly Requested:
Villager (debatable; people wanted an Animal Crossing character, but I'm pretty sure Tom Nook was the more popular one)
Mega Man
Little Mac
Palutena
Shulk
Chrom

Not Highly Requested:
Wii Fit Trainer
Rosalina
Greninja
Chorus Kids

Unknown:
Mii
Pac-Man
(These two get a lot of guff from people, but also a lot of support. I don't know which edges out.)

Seems to me that only Brawl, having as big a jump for characters as it did, has more characters people pined for in comparison to the entire series.
I could be wrong, though.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion

More or less. In Melee, most newcomers were popular characters from popular franchises, such as Bowser, Zelda and Falco. Brawl followed a similar pattern by adding generally famous characters who had yet to appear, like Diddy, Wario and Dedede. Now when it comes to A or B listers who have yet to appear (Or reappear in Mewtwo's case) the pool is pretty small. Ridley, K. Rool, Mewtwo, and maybe Dixie Kong are just about all that's left in terms of having been around forever. It would be weird to suddenly break the pattern of adding the generally famous characters for recent, lesser known ones, especially with how there is no way Sakurai can't know about the big three's popularity.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom