• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I'm calling it:

If the leak is the final Newcomer list, the vast majority of people who've been speculating on the roster will be very disappointed, and even angry at Sakurai for ignoring 3 of the top 5 most requested characters (Mewtwo, K. Rool, Ridley), the only fan-favorite Newcomers with a longstanding history and significance to Nintendo being Little Mac and Palutena.

Seriously, Sakurai? We only get 2 Newcomers with more than 8 years of history with Nintendo?

Chorus Kids, Mii, Chrom, Shulk, Rosalina, Greninja, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer are all from the past 8 years, most much newer.

There will be blood if the Sal leak represents the final list of Newcomers, I guarantee it.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed with this being our final roster, but seriously, do your research before you ***** about this leak.

First off, we got five characters with more than eight years of history with Nintendo; aside from Little Mac & Palutena, we also got Villager, Mega Man and Pac-Man. The latter two are third-parties, but they still have various big titles on Nintendo systems (heck, a big reason why there was so much clamor for Mega Man was because he was seen as synonymous with Nintendo; not many third-party characters can accomplish that).

Secondly, when was it ever stated that these were all the additions we were getting? Sal Romano has not said once these were our entire newcomers, he didn't leak Rosalina after all. It just means that these are the characters that are in the game. Nothing indicates that this is all the newcomers we are getting; there could very well be a few more in the pipeline (and don't bring up that RosalinaX leak, I'm almost 100% sure it's a fake). Even if these are all the newcomers we're getting, that does not rule out the possibility of Mewtwo returning because he doesn't fall under newcomers. At the very least, I expect Mewtwo to return, so either way, I don't see the two leaked newcomers list as all we get.

Until either a third Sal Romano leak or the game releases (whichever comes first)
It's something that I'm betting on that people will be pissy about the final roster.
It happened with Melee.
It happened with Brawl.
To be fair, both are different situations. Melee did have a somewhat underwhelming roster, but it made it up with amazing game play. Brawl had a near perfect roster, but disappointing gameplay. Smash 4 is leaning more towards Melee in that regard; however, it is worth noting that Sal Romano's leaks probably doesn't have the entire roster (I'm still expecting Mewtwo even if we receive no additional newcomers).

Morbi

Scavenger

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed with this being our final roster, but seriously, do your research before you ***** about this leak.

First off, we got five characters with more than eight years of history with Nintendo; aside from Little Mac & Palutena, we also got Villager, Mega Man and Pac-Man. The latter two are third-parties, but they still have various big titles on Nintendo systems (heck, a big reason why there was so much clamor for Mega Man was because he was seen as synonymous with Nintendo; not many third-party characters can accomplish that).

Secondly, when was it ever stated that these were all the additions we were getting? Sal Romano has not said once these were our entire newcomers, he didn't leak Rosalina after all. It just means that these are the characters that are in the game. Nothing indicates that this is all the newcomers we are getting; there could very well be a few more in the pipeline (and don't bring up that RosalinaX leak, I'm almost 100% sure it's a fake). Even if these are all the newcomers we're getting, that does not rule out the possibility of Mewtwo returning because he doesn't fall under newcomers. At the very least, I expect Mewtwo to return, so either way, I don't see the two leaked newcomers list as all we get.

Until either a third Sal Romano leak or the game releases (whichever comes first)To be fair, both are different situations. Melee did have a somewhat underwhelming roster, but it made it up with amazing game play. Brawl had a near perfect roster, but disappointing gameplay. Smash 4 is leaning more towards Melee in that regard; however, it is worth noting that Sal Romano's leaks probably doesn't have the entire roster (I'm still expecting Mewtwo even if we receive no additional newcomers).
I am fairly certain that he was only referring to first party characters, so he just missed Villager.

He said IF, he didn't ever insinuate that it was ever stated that the leak was the final newcomer list.

D

Deleted member

I am fairly certain that he was only referring to first party characters, so he just missed Villager.

He said IF, he didn't ever insinuate that it was ever stated that the leak was the final newcomer list.
He is the same person that has been saying that people have accepted there's a good chance this is all the newcomers we're getting when we can't make such a conclusion yet. Like everyone else, we can't make that judgment yet.

Also, he was referring to characters with long standing importance to Nintendo, so Mega Man and Pac-Man does count.

J1NG

Smash Journeyman
I'm curious as to what everyone's Smash roster guidelines are.
Basically, what standards do you go by to determine who would make for a good character in Smash?
I'm just looking to collect information, seeing as how I actually have very few "requests" for roster additions.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm curious as to what everyone's Smash roster guidelines are.
Basically, what standards do you go by to determine who would make for a good character in Smash?
I'm just looking to collect information, seeing as how I actually have very few "requests" for roster additions.
The roster choices are based on 3 regular bases.

Popularity,Games,and Uniqueness.

Popularity is the hardest to get achieved,but hey,Mega Man.

Games of the character also matter. How many games does Bob Have? What was the most recent game Bob was in? Is Bob 1st or 3rd party?

Uniqueness. Wii Fit Trainer.
Or in other words,looking at a character,like Miss Fit or R.O.B,you look at it and say "How does this thing fight?" Well,the amazing mind of Sakurai can razzle-dazzle your brain with the ultimate moveset that just screams out what they are.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
The roster choices are based on 3 regular bases.

Popularity,Games,and Uniqueness.

Popularity is the hardest to get achieved,but hey,Mega Man.

Games of the character also matter. How many games does Bob Have? What was the most recent game Bob was in? Is Bob 1st or 3rd party?

Uniqueness. Wii Fit Trainer.
Or in other words,looking at a character,like Miss Fit or R.O.B,you look at it and say "How does this think fight?" Well,the amazing mind of Sakurai can razzle-dazzle your brain with the ultimate moveset that just screams out what they are.

You forgot the most important one

size

ala Bigley

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
It's something that I'm betting on that people will be pissy about the final roster.
It happened with Melee.
It happened with Brawl.
Of course they will, too many people have too many different, and high reaching expectations, and say things like, if "so-and-so is not in it, I'm gonna be pissed". And chances are so-and-so probably won't be in it, so yeah, expect to be pissed people.

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
The Gematsu leak is your chance to predict the roster correctly and people are dismissing it for weak reasons.
There's already valid reasons to believe it.
The guy is pretty credible i mean who would think wii fit trainer for ssb4 ? i mean really

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
Nobody did, but Sakurai. I was here 6 months before the E3 reveal and nobody talked about Wii Fit Trainer as a serious contender.
and yet gemaatsu guessed it soo really kinda credable

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Honestly the only character that really hypes me from that leak is Greninja and possibly Pac-Man. The rest aren't bad choices, but I have no reason to be hyped for them.

D

Deleted member

The Gematsu leak is your chance to predict the roster correctly and people are dismissing it for weak reasons.
I believe the leak more than the vast majority of people do; I believe it to be the closest thing to an official confirmation. But no, this doesn't necessarily mean you'll predict the roster correctly. There's still unknown additions after the Gematsu leak left (at least one more) and I guarantee that no one got Wii Fit Trainer right before E3 2013.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Saying that there is no room for doubt is in absurd claim. It can't be proven 100% one way or the other, so why can't we just accept that there are those that believe it, and those that don't?

Freduardo

Smash Champion
With the Adventures of Lolo coming out on the WII U this week, Lolo and Lala being in Kirby: The Fighters as a stage hazard, I find myself really wishing this classic HAL laboratories and Nintendo character would appear in some capacity in smash.

Guess I should be happy he's in Kirby.

Dang King Egger.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Just my opinion on the leak, of course there is a small chance that it is fake, but I have huge doubts about that.
Ultimately, whether it's 100% accurate depends on the people involved with the leak as people. I think the only way to get around what it's gotten right thus far is to have the list be a cross between legitimate leak and dishonest leak. Because we know nothing about those involved as people, I don't think we can make judgement on what's likely and not likely. I think there's those to beliebe it, those that don't, and that's all there is to it. Of course, we're speculators, so we'll make our guesses anyway. My estimate is that it isn't 100% true.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Ultimately, whether it's 100% accurate depends on the people involved with the leak as people. I think the only way to get around what it's gotten right thus far is to have the list be a cross between legitimate leak and dishonest leak. Because we know nothing about those involved as people, I don't think we can make judgement on what's likely and not likely. I think there's those to beliebe it, those that don't, and that's all there is to it. Of course, we're speculators, so we'll make our guesses anyway. My estimate is that it isn't 100% true.
So you think one of the characters in the leak is not on the final roster?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
It happened with Melee.
It happened with Brawl.
If the roster's on par with Melee's (as you said below) despite this game having the development time of Brawl (moreso, now that the SSE is dead), those complaints would be justified IMO.

Also, "Sal might be lying! Sal might hate having a credible image! Leakers hate credibility, don'tcha know?"

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Every sal romano character is neccesary in the game, to me is real, and if we dont get marshall i'll be sad (karate joe is cooler though).

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
So you think one of the characters in the leak is not on the final roster?
Yes, I believe that neither the Mii nor Pac-Man will be on the final roster (also skeptical of Chorus Men, but not as strongly). If you wanna talk about them, specifically, we can move on to them later, but right now, they specifically are irrelevant to my point. Like, someone else could not believe in Chorus Men, and so on.

Like I said before, I don't think we can make accurate judgement on whether or not the entirety on the leak is legitimate because we don't know those involved with the leak as people. We'll try, but I don't think we can properly label either as likely or unlikely.

D

Deleted member

If the roster's on par with Melee's (as you said below) despite this game having the development time of Brawl (moreso, now that the SSE is dead), those complaints would be justified IMO.
It would only be justified if Sakurai didn't pretty much warn us ahead of time that focus is not going to be on adding charaters, but on refining the balance between them.

I'd rather not have Marvel vs. Capcom 2: Smash Bros. Edition.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
It would only be justified if Sakurai didn't pretty much warn us ahead of time that focus is not going to be on adding charaters, but on refining the balance between them.

I'd rather not have Marvel vs. Capcom 2: Smash Bros. Edition.
Even more reason to be annoyed: if the focus isn't going to be on adding characters, why not direct what focus is allocated to characters on the more major ones?

Also, despite not having the roster as a focus in previous games (to my knowledge), we still ended up with a great roster in Brawl (missing only Ridley out of the major non-meme requests). Going downhill from there would be upsetting no matter which way you slice it, IMO.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Even if the sal leak is completely legit it is clearly missing some newcomers so nobody should freak out about because there is bound to be 5 or more newcomers not on that list. My theory honestly is that this guy got this info quite early on since the vague "pokemon x pokemon" and screwing up half the reveals at e3 (possibly they were all planned to be revealed then originally) Its clearly an incomplete list hence missing rosalina, or its fake which is also possible, e3 will most likely tell for sure.

D

Deleted member

Even more reason to be annoyed: if the focus isn't going to be on adding characters, why not direct what focus is allocated to characters on the more major ones?

Also, despite not having the roster as a focus in previous games (to my knowledge), we still ended up with a great roster in Brawl (missing only Ridley out of the major non-meme requests). Going downhill from there would be upsetting no matter which way you slice it, IMO.
Outside of the lack of Ridley and a DK newcomer like K. Rool or Dixie Kong, I don't see that many "major" requests not being fulfilled. (Assuming that Sal's leak is it for newcomers)
One could argue Mewtwo, but since Mewtwo isn't a newcomer, he could still be in if the Sal leak is all the newcomers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sausage Zeldas

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sanics
3DS FC
2509-2629-0987
Outside of the lack of Ridley and a DK newcomer like K. Rool or Dixie Kong, I don't see that many "major" requests not being fulfilled. (Assuming that Sal's leak is it for newcomers)
One could argue Mewtwo, but since Mewtwo isn't a newcomer, he could still be in if the Sal leak is all newcomers.
It'd be all newcomers for sure, seeing as how Solozard wasn't on the list.

D

Deleted member

It'd be all newcomers for sure, seeing as how Solozard wasn't on the list.
I forgot a "the" in there.

I meant "all the newcomers", as in, there is no one else outside of the remaining characters of the leak.

....amazing how forgetting a simple particle can change the entire meaning of a statement, huh? :laugh:

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
One could argue Mewtwo, but since Mewtwo isn't a newcomer, he could still be in if the Sal leak is all the newcomers.
Pretty much the way I see it. Outside of Ridley, K Rool and Mewtwo, who are all popular and requested, there isnt much more to add that have the longevity that matches up to these characters. They also fill the void of Villains which there was a serious lack of in Brawl. Im pretty sure if there are any more characters added besides the leak, it would include Some of if not all these characters.

And ya, Mewtwo is technically a veteran so he may not ever be on a newcomer list.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Sal leaks plus Ridley, a DK character, Mewtwo and... if you want to throw in Toad, go right ahead. All set.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Pros
-Reliable Guesses so far.
-A good mix of expected and unexpected characters.
-Sal's been right before.

And... I'm having a hard time coming up with cons.. can someone help me out?

jweb22

Smash Apprentice
Sal leaks plus Ridley, a DK character, Mewtwo and... if you want to throw in Toad, go right ahead. All set.
I agree with everything except Toad! F*** Toad, the roster needs a Golden Sun character! Isaac or Matthew or even Felix. If that happens... I'll be happy. Taking the possible characters mentioned on the Sal leak plus what you mentioned plus a Golden Sun rep would be as close to perfection as possible. There would be almost no complaints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom