• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
When Ridley enters the battle, Kraid is left in charge of the train PyroSphere.
Kraid: "Leave it to me!"

Sorry... Don't see that happening.
"When Ridley joins the battle, oh wait, that's just his clone on the stage. Nevermind. Carry on."

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think he is being facetious.

If not, then I think Anthony isn't a very memorable character.
Only real supporting character outside of Adam, who's dead so won't star in another game?

Everyone who played Other M loved Anthony.

Bad_Pantz

Smash Apprentice
I still don't see how the shadow argument hasn't been accepted by everyone, to be frank.

I'm not talking about the "let's try to measure its size and see what that would make our Ridley look like if he were a PC" bits, but the actual details of the shadow. From when it stops to when it goes, there's only a frame between the shadow's details teleporting (like what happens if you crouch a character then jump). Compare that to the smoothness of Yellow Devil or any SSBB boss' shadow. His shadow is animated like a PC's shadow, not smooth like an NPCs shadow.

CalumG

Smash Lord
I've never really understood why there's so much tension regarding Ridley anyway. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd suggest that it's because some Ridley fans have been waiting for playable Ridley for 13+ years, ever since the Melee announcement video.

Either way, I think everyone is just as bad as each other. To Ridley detractors, Ridley supporters look like they're clinging to false hope and denial. To Ridley supporters, Ridley detractors seem like they're ruling him out too early (see: Toon Link) and seem like fun-sponges trying to rain on Ridley's parade for no good reason. Both sides are kinda in the wrong here.

I'll continue supporting Ridley 'til the bitter end, but I can see why the more 'vocal' Ridley fans could become a nuisance. At this point I think it's just better to wait and see; I think Sakurai's teasing and building up to a big reveal (hyuk hyuk hyuk) but if other people don't buy into that theory then it's no skin off my bones.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
If I had to hazard a guess
I see what you did there :awesome:

In all seriousness, the arguments about Ridley are rather pointless. Sakurai is intentionally dangling the carrot, so to speak. He wants people to think about what he has shown to everybody.

The only evidence we have is a shadow on the ground, which is clearly Ridley. Detractors say that he appeared without a playable status, and he is deconfirmed. Supporters say that he didn't actually appear (which he didn't) among other reasons, so we are all interpreting the evidence in a different manner, which is just human nature. Sure, Ridley supporters are going to try to put a positive spin on things, but I don't really blame them because the evidence is not concrete. Ridley detractors are quick to jump to his exclusion because, well, that's what they saw. I myself don't really know what to expect, and am staying neutral towards him because at this point its all up in the air. I think that it is important not to jump to conclusions, because we don't really know what's going to happen (like with Toon Link.)

Sakurai has continuously teased his appearance (playable or not) and he is aware that people have been requesting him. Whether it be the direct, his comments about Ridley being a little slow, or the comment attached to the Pyrosphere stage, he is infamous for doing things like this. He will make you think a certain way (again, like with Toon Link) and then turn around and do the opposite. He does it well, he truly is a good hype generator. Point is, we can't 100% say whether is playable or not, but one thing is for certain, and I believe everyone will agree, is that he is in the game in some shape or form.

Let's leave the interpretation of the evidence to places like Rate their Chances because this topic has been going on far too long and it's clear that both sides will not yield to the other.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I will make Sheik one of my secondaries if Ridley is confirmed as playable.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Oh hai everybody, good to be ba- Oh I walked in on another Ridley discussion...can't we all just wait quietly for when the hammer comes down on the verdict? There ain't no problem with supporting him, but we've got nothing to confirm either side of the argument and most likely won't have anything on said subject until June.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Oh hai everybody, good to be ba- Oh I walked in on another Ridley discussion...can't we all just wait quietly for when the hammer comes down on the verdict? There ain't no problem with supporting him, but we've got nothing to confirm either side of the argument and most likely won't have anything on said subject until June.
One things for sure, Sakurai was either doing some clever platforming strategies or he doesn't see how Ridley can be playable.

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking about how to make Chrom unique, and I had a potentially interesting idea; because FE:A focuses so much on teamwork and a double mechanic and the like, perhaps that should be reflected in his moveset? Some of his attacks could call to the battle an ally for him to fight with. For example, a standard B would summon Robin (or Tharja, Henry, Miriel, etc etc), who could fire off a magic projectile. Perhaps a side b could be a glorious forward charge on the backs Sully or Frederick's horse? Could he summon Lissa to heal him with a down-b? Perhaps have Sumia swoop in and help him as an up special? It would make him a suddenly much more diverse and interesting character than 'just another blue swordsman' while staying within the realms of possibility. Thoughts?

Morbi

Scavenger
I was thinking about how to make Chrom unique, and I had a potentially interesting idea; because FE:A focuses so much on teamwork and a double mechanic and the like, perhaps that should be reflected in his moveset? Some of his attacks could call to the battle an ally for him to fight with. For example, a standard B would summon Robin (or Tharja, Henry, Miriel, etc etc), who could fire off a magic projectile. Perhaps a side b could be a glorious forward charge on the backs Sully or Frederick's horse? Could he summon Lissa to heal him with a down-b? Perhaps have Sumia swoop in and help him as an up special? It would make him a suddenly much more diverse and interesting character than 'just another blue swordsman' while staying within the realms of possibility. Thoughts?
I feel as though that would be very difficult to program; each model for one move. I mean, it would be fairly interesting, I just don't believe the idea to be feasible.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Summoning characters would be hard to do, but I agree with him being able to heal and having a sideB that can be a forward charge that pierces through. Maybe a shield, and he can use a lance maybe as a projectile or weapon. It'll be taking things from his Great Lord class.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I've seen that idea before, for both Chrom and Robin, I think. While it is pretty creative and a cool idea, it would probably be a technological nightmare to develop. All those character models... I mean, I think it would be really cool if they did implement this, but it seems incredibly unlikely and too much of a hassle.

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I still think he's gonna be in. Just ask Dark Phazon, Hotfeet444, or PizzaDudeManGuy, they still support him it looks like.
Ermmmm thanks for that but how i feel is abit weired....

I Still support him i still reside in the Ridley thread and is my most wanted #1 by far.

I am completely open to all the mass specualtion and that it could all just be a big Hoax like many have said there is alotta weight that this could all just be a troll.

But do i think he will be playable ..........no..

Supporting a character doesnt = mindless confirmation bias stubborn drone zombie no!

There wasent a Petey Piranna or Dry Bowser thread but i really supported them wanted them in aswell as Kamek hell i would love Dragonite or Gengar do i think they will make it? No.....

Yo Diddy i thought you was cool man.....RealTalk....dont be a DekuScrub BruV........

I support Ridley heavily but i am not so biased maybe because i am over all new to this forum metagame to speak but love nintendo and have been gaming for years.

Ridley is extremely popular in the West but not so much in JPN also watch about 15 prediction/wishlist videos on youtube and read a few on other forums in general as in the mass general most requested

Are characters like

Shadow
Krystal
Bowser J.R
Shulk
Chrom
Palutena
Mewtwo
K.Rool

I Know how Ridley is viewed outside of these boards.

Morbi

Scavenger

I Still support him i still reside in the Ridley thread and is my most wanted #1 by far.

I am completely open to all the mass specualtion and that it could all just be a big Hoax like many have said there is alotta weight that this could all just be a troll.

Supporting a character doesnt = mindless confirmation bias stubborn drone zombie no!

There wasent a Petey Piranna or Dry Bowser thread but i really supported them wanted them in aswell as Kamek hell i would love Dragonite or Gengar do i think they will make it? No.....

Yo Diddy i thought you was cool man.....RealTalk....dont be a DekuScrub BruV........

I support Ridley heavily but i am not so biased maybe because i am over all new to this forum metagame to speak but love nintendo and have been gaming for years.

Ridley is extremely popular in the West but not so much in JPN also watch about 15 prediction/wishlist videos on youtube and read a few on other forums in general as in the mass general most requested

Are characters like

Shadow
Krystal
Bowser J.R
Shulk
Chrom
Palutena
Mewtwo
K.Rool

I support Ridley; and I don't even want him playable. However, there isn't a lot of confirmation bias, there is quite literally no evidence that favors either side. The entire notion of Ridley in Smash has been shrouded in ambiguity.

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
I feel as though that would be very difficult to program; each model for one move. I mean, it would be fairly interesting, I just don't believe the idea to be feasible.
Summoning characters would be hard to do, but I agree with him being able to heal and having a sideB that can be a forward charge that pierces through. Maybe a shield, and he can use a lance maybe as a projectile or weapon. It'll be taking things from his Great Lord class.
I've seen that idea before, for both Chrom and Robin, I think. While it is pretty creative and a cool idea, it would probably be a technological nightmare to develop. All those character models... I mean, I think it would be really cool if they did implement this, but it seems incredibly unlikely and too much of a hassle.
Yeah, I hadn't considered the implementation as much; it was the only idea I could actually think of to make him significantly different! But you are all right, the amount of effort for one moveset in this case would be ridiculous, even if the companions had relatively low-poly models. Ah well xD.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me

Are characters like

Shadow
Krystal
Bowser J.R
Shulk
Chrom
Palutena
Mewtwo
K.Rool

About those requested characters, as much of a shadow supporter I am, he's the only one I don't see getting in this title, maybe someday, bowser junior and Mewtwo are just "maybe," but those other characters I'd say are in. Don't quote me on anything though, because I don't work for Sakurai

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
About those requested characters, as much of a shadow supporter I am, he's the only one I don't see getting in this title, maybe someday, bowser junior and Mewtwo are just "maybe," but those other characters I'd say are in. Don't quote me on anything though, because I don't work for Sakurai
I beg to differ, good sir! Mewtwo isn't a "maybe," he is the only character not already included that was considered for each and every variant of Smash. He was never intended to be omitted; as such, he should realistically be treated as a Melee veteran as that was the original intent. Not just any Melee veteran, a Melee veteran that had a decent chance of being one of the original 12. Mewtwo was removed from Brawl when it was reasonable, Gamefreak wasn't promoting his character, his prominence and prevalence could only take him so far. However, this isn't Melee going on Brawl, this is Brawl going on Smash 4. He is one of the most notable characters promoted for X and Y; if I recall correctly, he was the first Mega Evolution revealed. He was also featured in Origins, and his/her own movie, again. He is also one of the only characters (not officially confirmed) that Sakurai spoke in regards to, there were some positive implications discerned from that. Mewtwo is also probably the most requested character for Smash 4.

There is quite literally no evidence that contradicts his inclusion. The only reason people don't subjectively believe that he was finished months ago? Greninja... Let me remind you that this was after he cut Pokemon Trainer. It isn't as though Greninja's inclusion altered anything relevant.

So, if Sakurai is adhering to logic, Mewtwo is in the game. If you have anything that is antithetical to this notion, please elaborate. I haven't heard anything negative in regards to his chances aside from faith based arguments that are objectively arbitrary.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger

Need I say more?
Yes. Honestly; I do not see the point that you are trying to convey. Are you establishing that since Sakurai removed Mewtwo in Brawl, that he would do it again? I believe that he is going to retain his original intent, not the action that he was "forced" to take in order to accommodate Sonic. That may just be me though; however, that is where the other evidence supports his inclusion, thus he is "shoe-in" by a preponderance of the evidence. So even if he wanted to remove Mewtwo during the Brawl-era, I am sure that his perspective is going to change. If Gamefreak influences his decision, Mewtwo is, once again, one of the most likely candidates. Mewtwo was marketed almost as much as Charizard, I actually want to say that Mewtwo was promoted more directly, but I am not entirely positive. So I will avoid making such a fallacious assertion.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Has anyone brought up the possibility of using "The Tactician" from FE:Awakening (what are we on now, 12?, 13?). A little more flexibility since he uses tomes and has the generic white haired model (and the variation in game is about as unique as the color swaps in brawl). Marks the first playable tactician, I believe, so he has the slightly notable quality. I dunno, something to toss around

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Has anyone brought up the possibility of using "The Tactician" from FE:Awakening (what are we on now, 12?, 13?). A little more flexibility since he uses tomes and has the generic white haired model (and the variation in game is about as unique as the color swaps in brawl). Marks the first playable tactician, I believe, so he has the slightly notable quality. I dunno, something to toss around
Plenty of times before the 2nd Salromano leak came out stating Chrom was playable.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I've talked about him a bit.

CalumG

Smash Lord
If Tactician is in, he/she could have alternate hair colours for the different costumes.

Goodbye accusations that they only favour blue haired protagonists. Tactician would have a blue palette swap too though, obviously :troll:

Morbi

Scavenger
Yes; Robin is certainly a feasible character, I believe that she offers much more than Chrom, but ultimately, it is up to the discretion of Sakurai.

CalumG

Smash Lord
I know this is unrelated, but regarding the case of the Starfox characters:

Many are firm believers that Starfox is going to lose a rep if cuts do happen on that large a scale - it only makes sense, given the size of the Starfox franchise. However, nobody seems to be able to decide between Falco and Wolf, with Falco being a Melee veteran (as well as getting chosen over Wolf for his visual differentiation from Fox) and Wolf being the more 'unique' moveset.

So I propose that Wolf gets cut, but Falco inherits some of his more 'unique' moveset capabilities. After all, if customization is as indepth as it could turn out to be, they might end up letting you map Falco-style spikes and lasers onto Fox. With that being the case, I think the most favourable situation in the event of a Starfox cut would be to let Wolf go, and give his better moves to Falco, thereby having the unique visual appearance of Falco and the unique moveset of Wolf.

Of course, I'd rather that nobody got cut at all, but assuming Starfox gets the chop, this is what I'd want to see.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Oh I never realized Robin was the tactician haha, I figured he was some character I hadn't gotten to yet in the game

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Many times, actually. I happen to be one of his supporters, and apparently, there are many more on this particular forum.

Morbi

Scavenger
I know this is unrelated, but regarding the case of the Starfox characters:

Many are firm believers that Starfox is going to lose a rep if cuts do happen on that large a scale - it only makes sense, given the size of the Starfox franchise. However, nobody seems to be able to decide between Falco and Wolf, with Falco being a Melee veteran (as well as getting chosen over Wolf for his visual differentiation from Fox) and Wolf being the more 'unique' moveset.

So I propose that Wolf gets cut, but Falco inherits some of his more 'unique' moveset capabilities. After all, if customization is as indepth as it could turn out to be, they might end up letting you map Falco-style spikes and lasers onto Fox. With that being the case, I think the most favourable situation in the event of a Starfox cut would be to let Wolf go, and give his better moves to Falco, thereby having the unique visual appearance of Falco and the unique moveset of Wolf.

Of course, I'd rather that nobody got cut at all, but assuming Starfox gets the chop, this is what I'd want to see.
I don't believe that Starfox is going to receive any omissions. Sakurai will most likely further de-clone Falco, alter Wolf every so slightly, and that will be the end of it. I am more worried about Krystal's chance as opposed to any roster removals. It just isn't going to happen; Wolf is far too unique and prominent to the franchise. Falco has had over a decade for us to become accustomed to his character. So I HIGHLY doubt either would be cut because the series is "dead," a fairly arbitrary notion that doesn't even necessarily correlate to Smash.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Yes. Honestly; I do not see the point that you are trying to convey. Are you establishing that since Sakurai removed Mewtwo in Brawl, that he would do it again? I believe that he is going to retain his original intent, not the action that he was "forced" to take in order to accommodate Sonic. That may just be me though; however, that is where the other evidence supports his inclusion, thus he is "shoe-in" by a preponderance of the evidence. So even if he wanted to remove Mewtwo during the Brawl-era, I am sure that his perspective is going to change. If Gamefreak influences his decision, Mewtwo is, once again, one of the most likely candidates. Mewtwo was marketed almost as much as Charizard, I actually want to say that Mewtwo was promoted more directly, but I am not entirely positive. So I will avoid making such a fallacious assertion.
Implying it was a legit point in the first place.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Only real supporting character outside of Adam, who's dead so won't star in another game?

Canonically dead and never returning.

Shows up a year and a half later in Smash.

Everyone who played Other M loved Anthony.
I'd argue that the majority who played Other M hated everything about it/associated with it.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Wolf's specials can be absorbed by Falco and/or Fox for moveset customization. Falco can then receive a few new A moves.

Morbi

Scavenger
Wolf's specials can be absorbed by Falco and/or Fox for moveset customization. Falco can then receive a few new A moves.
Falco's specials can be absorbed by Wolf and/or Fox for moveset customization. Wolf can then receive a few new A moves.

That quote didn't work nearly as well as I thought it would; Wolf doesn't even need a few new "A" moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom