• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pikachugamer21

Smash Journeyman
I'll be the odd one out I guess and flat out state I have no interest in Lip and only a passing interest in Takamaru. Whether or not either of them is playable isn't really something I'm concerned with. That being said oh dear lord I want Mach Rider as a playable character so bad. A launch title for the NES with a huge potential for a reboot, especially in the current game climate where technology, weapons, and the apocalypse are common themes? Sign me up. I can't picture him fighting off of his bike though, and I really feel he could have a fun and innovative moveset as a mounted character.
maybe your dreams and desires will come true

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Oh trust me, I do support both Takamaru and Lip, I didn't put them in my signature for nothing. That said, King K. Rool is my most wanted newcomer and I still can't stop seeing negatives that hold him back, I like to be hopeful, but I'm not going to get myself riled up over a character just to get my hopes crushed you know?
Though if K. Rool misses out on the fourth bloody game, my hopes will be crushed anyway, but that's beside the point.

If that's the case though, ignore the cons and just add onto the pros that she hasn't been forgotten by her own creators, which helps I guess.

I'm not going to worry about Takamaru then, since there's not really any reason to doubt him in the first place. Gotta keep looking for pros for Lip though.
Of the main four, K. Rool and Ridley are the biggest gamble. They are also the most popular. Huh.

But don't get super worried about K. Rool. So what if it's been years since his last game? So was Dixie until recently. Hell, if DK64 is a main game, then K Rool had more credits than her until TF.

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Of the main four, K. Rool and Ridley are the biggest gamble. They are also the most popular. Huh.

But don't get super worried about K. Rool. So what if it's been years since his last game? So was Dixie until recently. Hell, if DK64 is a main game, then K Rool had more credits than her until TF.
This is probably regrettable, but DK64 is the only DK game I've played. :ohwell:

Inb4youtotallyneedtoplayDKC(R)

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Me too. It's really good. Lanky is the best Kong. "Ooplah!"

Also @ JamesDNaux JamesDNaux if Takamaru gets in before King K Roll or Ridley I will question his sanity.
The best was to walk slowly with Lanky. That had me cracking up mad as a kid. :joyful:

At this point, Takamaru is my preferred retro/classic candidate, because samurais (+all the strong argumentation presented thus far, but mostly samurais).

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
The best was to walk slowly with Lanky. That had me cracking up mad as a kid. :joyful:

At this point, Takamaru is my preferred retro/classic candidate, because samurais (+all the strong argumentation presented thus far, but mostly samurais).
That whole game is the right kind of silly.

I strongly support Ridley for 3 reasons:
- Many people want him and I feel for them
- I want to laugh at nonbelievers
- Nobody doesn't want a flying space pirate dragon

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
This is some good stuff, any chance you can find something to help Lip more as well?
Sorry if I repeat myself, I'm copying and pasting info from different sites:

Panel de Pon is a video game released for the Super Famicom on October 27, 1995, starring a young fairy known as Lip. However, the game didn't actually make it to the West, for the Western release, Nintendo changed all the characters to Yoshi characters and enemies. When it was released in the West, it was known as Tetris Attack. In the Super Smash Bros. series, Lip's Stick, an item used by Lip, is an item throughout the series. Kirby's Stone move can turn him into many objects including a Garbage Block from Panel de Pon. Panel de Pon music also appears in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. The fairy Lip herself appears as an important character in Captain Rainbow.

The game was updated and rebranded in September 2000 for the Nintendo 64 as Pokémon Puzzle League (PPL). This version, based on the first few seasons of the Pokémon anime, includes a training mode, a puzzle editor, and a 3D game mode that takes place in a cylindrical playfield. Pokemon de Panepon, a Japanese remake of Panel de Pon was localized and released in December 2000 as Pokémon Puzzle Challenge (PPC).

A localization of another Japanese remake titled Dr. Mario & Panel de Pon for the Game Boy Advance was released on November 25, 2005 in Europe, November 28, 2005 in North America, and December 2005 in Australia and retitled Dr. Mario & Puzzle League.

Another version for the Nintendo DS, titled Panel de Pon DS, was localized and released in 2007 as Planet Puzzle League in North America and Puzzle League DS in Europe. This version includes new backgrounds and music, stylus-enabled gameplay, and the ability to play against other players worldwide via the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service. Like the Game Boy Advance version, the DS version has no storyline. Another version for the Nintendo DSi, titled Chotto Panel de Pon was localized and released through the Shop's DSiWare as Puzzle League Express in North America and A Little Bit Of Puzzle League in Europe.

n Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Smash Bros. Brawl, one of the various objects that Kirby randomly transforms into when using his "Stone" (down+B) special attack is one of Lip's garbage blocks from Panel de Pon. Also in the games, there is an item called Lip's Stick, named after the Panel de Pon character replaced by Yoshi for Tetris Attack. Lip's Stick poisons the opponent that it contacts, as a flower is planted atop his or her head. While some in-game graphics exclusive to the Japanese market were replaced with more recognizable items, Lip's Stick was left as-is with its trophy explaining its Japanese-only origin. Also present in Brawl are four collectible Stickers depicting characters from the Nintendo Puzzle Collection iteration of Panel de Pon, marking the first time a Panel de Pon character is intentionally shown to audiences outside of Japan. The character stickers, however, had their names translated to those of the Super Famicom characters. The red heart block is also present. The game also includes a remix of Lip's theme, which plays on the PictoChat stage. Lip also appears in Captain Rainbow for the Wii.

Tetris Attack was met with very positive reviews, earning a 90% average rating on Gamerankings.[2] GamesRadar listed it on their list of "The 100 best games of all time", stating "you haven’t lived until you’ve played TA two-player and dropped an immensely satisfying five line garbage block on your opponent."[3] Game Informer featured it on its own best games of all-time list at 96 and called it one of the most addictive puzzle games ever made.[4]

Plus, she is already shown to not be forgotten in the Nintendog stage, look at that block.
Between Lip's Stick as a recurring item, one of Kirby's Down B, and that block serving as a platform, it is a possibilty this is all leading up to her as a playable character.

This is some good stuff, any chance you can find something to help Lip more as well?

Panel de Pon is a video game released for the Super Famicom on October 27, 1995, starring a young fairy known as Lip. However, the game didn't actually make it to the West, for the Western release, Nintendo changed all the characters to Yoshi characters and enemies. When it was released in the West, it was known as Tetris Attack. In the Super Smash Bros. series, Lip's Stick, an item used by Lip, is an item throughout the series. Kirby's Stone move can turn him into many objects including a Garbage Block from Panel de Pon. Panel de Pon music also appears in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. The fairy Lip herself appears as an important character in Captain Rainbow.

The game was updated and rebranded in September 2000 for the Nintendo 64 as Pokémon Puzzle League (PPL). This version, based on the first few seasons of the Pokémon anime, includes a training mode, a puzzle editor, and a 3D game mode that takes place in a cylindrical playfield. Pokemon de Panepon, a Japanese remake of Panel de Pon was localized and released in December 2000 as Pokémon Puzzle Challenge (PPC).

A localization of another Japanese remake titled Dr. Mario & Panel de Pon for the Game Boy Advance was released on November 25, 2005 in Europe, November 28, 2005 in North America, and December 2005 in Australia and retitled Dr. Mario & Puzzle League.

Another version for the Nintendo DS, titled Panel de Pon DS, was localized and released in 2007 as Planet Puzzle League in North America and Puzzle League DS in Europe. This version includes new backgrounds and music, stylus-enabled gameplay, and the ability to play against other players worldwide via the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service. Like the Game Boy Advance version, the DS version has no storyline. Another version for the Nintendo DSi, titled Chotto Panel de Pon was localized and released through the Shop's DSiWare as Puzzle League Express in North America and A Little Bit Of Puzzle League in Europe.

n Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Smash Bros. Brawl, one of the various objects that Kirby randomly transforms into when using his "Stone" (down+B) special attack is one of Lip's garbage blocks from Panel de Pon. Also in the games, there is an item called Lip's Stick, named after the Panel de Pon character replaced by Yoshi for Tetris Attack. Lip's Stick poisons the opponent that it contacts, as a flower is planted atop his or her head. While some in-game graphics exclusive to the Japanese market were replaced with more recognizable items, Lip's Stick was left as-is with its trophy explaining its Japanese-only origin. Also present in Brawl are four collectible Stickers depicting characters from the Nintendo Puzzle Collection iteration of Panel de Pon, marking the first time a Panel de Pon character is intentionally shown to audiences outside of Japan. The character stickers, however, had their names translated to those of the Super Famicom characters. The red heart block is also present. The game also includes a remix of Lip's theme, which plays on the PictoChat stage. Lip also appears in Captain Rainbow for the Wii.

Tetris Attack was met with very positive reviews, earning a 90% average rating on Gamerankings.[2] GamesRadar listed it on their list of "The 100 best games of all time", stating "you haven’t lived until you’ve played TA two-player and dropped an immensely satisfying five line garbage block on your opponent."[3] Game Informer featured it on its own best games of all-time list at 96 and called it one of the most addictive puzzle games ever made.[4]

Plus, she is already shown to not be forgotten in the Nintendog stage, look at that block.
Between Lip's Stick as a recurring item, one of Kirby's Down B, and that block serving as a platform, it is a possibilty this is all leading up to her as a playable character.

Didn't mean to post twice, sorry guys.
EDIT: I guess I'll use this spot for something else...

Is that the dog wearing the Mario hat in the center of the TV screen?

Last edited by a moderator:

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
That whole game is the right kind of silly.

I strongly support Ridley for 3 reasons:
- Many people want him and I feel for them
- I want to laugh at nonbelievers
- Nobody doesn't want a flying space pirate dragon
I want Ridley so the notion of a character being too big for Smash gets destroyed.

Plus Space Dragon

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux

The one big thing that I'm banking on for K. Rool and Ridley is Mega Man. But why Mega Man? He was the most requested character, that Sakurai went through the trouble of acquiring, despite his third party status, because of his demand. With Mega Man being confirmed, that leaves Mewtwo as the most requested character, but as Mewtwo is a veteran, King K. Rool has taken the lead as the most requested newcomer worldwide. With Ridley taking of a very close second place, it's just incredibly hard to imagine Sakurai purposely passing them up when he knows how requested they are this time, and that's not even taking into account their own merits outside of just fan demand. They're just the two biggest characters (not counting veteran Mewtwo) left to add, and there's no pun intended on that one.

As for Lip, I've edited my list, no cons this time. And Andimidna has ninja'd me with even more compelling Lip evidence, but I'll post this anyway.

Pros for Lip:
  • Somewhat requested character, not much in the way of competition.
  • "Revives" a franchise while also possibly bringing it to the west.
  • Sakurai himself called Panel de Pon a "true masterpiece."
  • Sakurai also continually leaves references to the series in Smash Bros. such as Kirby's garbage block cameo, an item, and even a remixed song.
  • Sakurai once worried that she would be too obscure, but his general opinion has since changed as he's added such characters as the Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch, and the Wii Fit Trainer. It's possible that he would take the chance to add her so more people would know about her games.
  • Her creators still reference her in her games, so she's not forgotten.
  • Although she does have requests, she'd still be a surprise character to most people, and Sakurai likes his surprises.
  • Has unique moveset potential, as well as potentially being the only (besides Dr. Mario) character to represent a puzzle series.
  • More females for Smash.
There are only really these six plausible characters that I really want for Smash (as seen in my sig), the top three being K. Rool and Ridley obviously, and veteran Snake who I'm very adamant on wanting back. These three are the only ones that could seriously be deal breakers for me, Snake being the biggest one for his veteran and third party status. The second row are characters that I really want, but wouldn't hurt very much not to see, Krystal, Takamaru, and Lip.

I guess these are the only guys I'll seriously try to defend, in any case.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

Didn't mean to post twice, sorry guys.
EDIT: I guess I'll use this spot for something else...

Is that the dog wearing the Mario hat in the center of the TV screen?
This is what is on the screen:

I think

andimidna

Smash Master
Not that anybody cares, but I'm starting to somewhat support Impa. The last thing I want is the removal of Sheik, however, I think she's one of the few fighters in the series and is almost as recurring as Ganon. Not Ganondorf, GANON. Plus, females. What would you guys think if Impa was added as a 5th Zelda slot and Sheik returned where she belongs as well?

PS... I still support Link transforming into Wolf Link after his Final Smash, and having Midna on his back. Impa and Midna are two of the more interesting Zelda characters IMO, and I'd love to see them fight, but I understand Midna is a 1 time character that has just about no chance of getting her own slot. This is my alternative and I think it works. She's still VERY popular. Plus, females. Plus, quadrupeds. Plus, fighting with your hair is epic. *cough* I like Bayonetta too *cough*

This is what is on the screen:

I think

I think the dogs might move around every once and a while, doesn't it look like the one with the green hat is in the back in that pic, or no?

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Not that anybody cares, but I'm starting to somewhat support Impa. The last thing I want is the removal of Sheik, however, I think she's one of the few fighters in the series and is almost as recurring as Ganon. Not Ganondorf, GANON. Plus, females. What would you guys think if Impa was added as a 5th Zelda slot and Sheik returned where she belongs as well?

PS... I still support Link transforming into Wolf Link after his Final Smash, and having Midna on his back. Impa and Midna are two of the more interesting Zelda characters IMO, and I'd love to see them fight, but I understand Midna is a 1 time character that has just about no chance of getting her own slot. This is my alternative and I think it works. She's still VERY popular. Plus, females. Plus, quadrupeds. Plus, fighting with your hair is epic. *cough* I like Bayonetta too *cough*
Impa is one of the only serious threats for a fifth Zelda character alongside Toon Zelda and/or Tetra, and Tingle. I'd be perfectly fine with her, I'd even like her, but there's just no reason for Sheik to leave, Diddy be damned. I'm not really expecting another Zelda character this time, but then Rosalina, so you never know.

I know how you feel about wanting a minor character too, I've really grown fond of the idea of the Happy Mask Salesman but I know it's never gonna happen. I would really love Midna getting in as well, just not with Wolf Link.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

I think the dogs might move around every once and a while, doesn't it look like the one with the green hat is in the back in that pic, or no?
Well, of course.

I don't see a point in Impa if we have Sheik. I'd honestly rather Sheik be her own character.

andimidna

Smash Master
Well, of course.

I don't see a point in Impa if we have Sheik. I'd honestly rather Sheik be her own character.
Sheik her own character... why? She was a swap for the majority of the SSB games so far. Wouldn't that keep a newcomer from being added :/ I feel like the last "new" thing we got from the Zelda series was the Zelda/Sheik slot in Melee. Makes me sad seeing the Zelda characters all sitting next to each other on the lowest tier... with Jiggles.

Now i need reasons to think Pichu is likely.
1. He was in Melee

2. idk

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Now i need reasons to think Pichu is likely.
Gen 2 rep. Easy clone.

Impa is one of the only serious threats for a fifth Zelda character alongside Toon Zelda and/or Tetra, and Tingle. I'd be perfectly fine with her, I'd even like her, but there's just no reason for Sheik to leave, Diddy be damned. I'm not really expecting another Zelda character this time, but then Rosalina, so you never know.

I know how you feel about wanting a minor character too, I've really grown fond of the idea of the Happy Mask Salesman but I know it's never gonna happen. I would really love Midna getting in as well, just not with Wolf Link.
Midna is second most wanted Zelda character after Ghirahim.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Well, of course.

But Sheik being her own character makes no sense... she is Zelda... so it wouldn't make sense for Zelda and Sheik to be two separate characters... even if you wrote "Sheik" in Scribblenauts, Zelda disappears and Sheik appears... That's why Impa replacing Sheik makes sense in case Zelda no longer transforms into Sheik. This way, we keep Sheik's moveset even if Sheik is not in the game (well, she is but we call her Zelda anyway).

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I'll have you turned into a Happy Masked Eccentric in no time. Please join me in the wonderful land of Termina so that we may speak of the wonders of Majora's Mask and the Salesman himself. Just give me that damned HD/3D/whatever remake already Nintendo. And some kind of news about Zelda Wii U.

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
Gen 2 rep. Easy clone.

Midna is my favorite videogame character in general... that's why it hurts to be a Zelda fan, they bring in these well-developed, badass, side characters and just leave them there.... then their fanbase slowly decreases... until they reach Geno level. ...

Yea, honestly I want Ghirahim much more than Impa, he's my personal 2nd choice... hey, maybe Sakurai will surprise us?
...Yea?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
But Sheik being her own character makes no sense... she is Zelda... so it wouldn't make sense for Zelda and Sheik to be two separate characters... even if you wrote "Sheik" in Scribblenauts, Zelda disappears and Sheik appears... That's why Impa replacing Sheik makes sense in case Zelda no longer transforms into Sheik. This way, we keep Sheik's moveset even if Sheik is not in the game (well, she is but we call her Zelda anyway).
Well canon doesn't matter, it's Smash. But I don't like it's set up, I would much rather transformations are set up like DBZ Tenkaichi 3 - you select the character and then the form on the CSS.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Well canon doesn't matter, it's Smash. But I don't like it's set up, I would much rather transformations are set up like DBZ Tenkaichi 3 - you select the character and then the form on the CSS.
Canon doesn't matter, you say... and yet Sakurai seems to think that the Toon Link from Wind Waker and the Toon Link from Spirit Tracks are the one and the same person... that's why things are left to Alfonzo. Some canon things he gets right... but many canon things he gets wrong.

andimidna

Smash Master
I'm not as much against that because it would be a 5th slot... but more because I'm a Zelda/ Sheik main... and I use the transformation to my advantage, depending on my percent and how far away my opponent is... it can be very useful to deal damage with Sheik, and turn into Zelda to survive with a high percentage and deal a final blow with Din's Fire or her Up Smash.

A minor change like that would really affect her playstyle and I'm unsure if I'd like such a change.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
0. Goddamn original moveset Ganondorf.
1. Salesman
2. Midna
3. Medli (just because)
4. Debbie
5. Someone else

Dead: Skull Kid

If only I could pick up the pieces of the Skull Kid fans and bring them back full force for the Salesman and then some, we might have a shot for the next game. :troll:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So it goes like...
1. Skull Kid
2. Ghirahim
3. Tetra
?
Ok, where do Midna, Impa, Tingle, and Vaati place on this poll?
I'd ask @Shortiecanbrawl or check the poll thread.

It's not like popularity at this point matters anyway. And as far as Midna goes, until she makes another reappearance, she'll never be able to capture her pre-Brawl popularity.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Ghirahim is my preferred Zelda newcomer candidate, if only because of his fabulous potential moveset.

I do see the rationale for the rest, though. I think Tetra is probably the likeliest, since she would serve to represent the Toon Link side of the Zelda Franchise (with the mainstream side already being represented by Link, Zelda, Sheik, and Ganondorf). Vaati could also fill this role, but Toon Link is quite clearly the WW incarnation, so Tetra would be a much better fit.

Impa could be cool, as a sort of lithe ninja character. Though Sheik already fills in that niche, which could dampen Impa's chances.

And I view Tingle/Vaati/Midna/etc. as candidates with lesser (though not necessarily negligible) chances.

andimidna

Smash Master
Canon doesn't matter, you say... and yet Sakurai seems to think that the Toon Link from Wind Waker and the Toon Link from Spirit Tracks are the one and the same person... that's why things are left to Alfonzo. Some canon things he gets right... but many canon things he gets wrong.
TP Zelda transforming into Sheik is in itself against canon.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
TP Zelda transforming into Sheik is in itself against canon.

Just another example of Sakurai getting canon wrong... just like Kaptain K. Rool is King K. Rool's brother, amirite?

TP Zelda is not the same person as OOT Zelda... yet Sakurai treats them as one person... just like ST Toon Link is not the same person as TWW Toon Link... I dunno why Sakurai thinks it is illogical to have ST Toon Link in the background and TWW Toon Link as a playable character at the same time when they are two different Toon Links... but it is what it is. :ohwell:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Just another example of Sakurai getting canon wrong... just like Kaptain K. Rool is King K. Rool's brother, amirite?

TP Zelda is not the same person as OOT Zelda... yet Sakurai treats them as one person... just like ST Toon Link is not the same person as TWW Toon Link... I dunno why Sakurai thinks it is illogical to have ST Toon Link in the background and TWW Toon Link as a playable character at the same time when they are two different Toon Links... but it is what it is. :ohwell:
Sakurai just wanted an excuse to Alfonzo. I mean, can you really blame the guy?

Though Sheik was initially planned for TP, as that's where the concept art for her came from, it's not entirely a stretch to think TP Zelda can transform but just didn't.

Also, Kaptain K. Rool for King K. Rool clone. :troll:

andimidna

Smash Master
One thing I don't understand: Why is Tetra commonly considered so likely? Or the most likely next Zelda rep? With WWHD already geting a character, and her possibly being nicknamed Toon Sheik in Brawl's data... I don't see her being added as a unique fighter... Is there something I'm missing?

pikachugamer21

Smash Journeyman
im guessing the current topic is Zelda related well as you all know Tetra is the only Zelda newcomer I care about if any other gets in I'll be upset but I'll warm up to it I suppose

with that said I am off here for tonight farewell my fellow smashboards mates

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
im guessing the current topic is Zelda related well as you all know Tetra is the only Zelda newcomer I care about if any other gets in I'll be upset but I'll warm up to it I suppose

with that said I am off here for tonight farewell my fellow smashboards mates
Goodbye, my dearest friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom