• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Here's an interesting thought. Do you think that Sakurai is putting in Retro's this time or just oddball Nintendo characters? I can't shake the feeling that Wii Fit Trainer doesn't fit in Smash, and when I compare her to the cast, she fits best with R.O.B. and Game and Watch. Maybe Sakurai puts in two characters that are from Nintendo games each smash one character that fits, and one that doesn't (usually this has been just retro characters, but it could pertain to any obscure Nintendo characters).

These characters usually one have one game, or aren't very well known.

Melee:
Fitting Character - Ice Climbers :icsmelee:

Oddball - Game and Watch :gawmelee:

Brawl:
Fitting Character - Pit :pit:

Oddball - R.O.B. :rob:

Smash 4:

Fitting Character - ?

Oddball - Wii Fit Trainer

If this logic holds, then we already received one of our two "retro" characters. Do you guys think that it is entirely likely that due to Wii Fit Trainer, we will only get one Retro? Likely someone that fits a fighting game better like Takamaru or Little Mac if you count him. Maybe we won't get any retros.....it's interesting to think about.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I feel that the combination of Sakurai wishing more people acknowledged Panel de Pon, his love for the game, and the possibility that he knows that more people know about Lip, mainly due to his own references in Smash, really help Lip out. I mean, what better way to have more people acknowledge Panel de Pon than to add Lip herself as a playable character in Smash? It could turn into another Fire Emblem situation where IS would bring the (unaltered) games over to everyone else.
Good point.... what would you give those chances then? 40%? 50%?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Admittedly, I don't know much about the game. He's a Japan Only character. But that's not to say he can't bring something to the table, I personally just don't know what. I'm also not going to argue against Muddy, because he's one of my favorite retro choices.

Has anyone ever though Mac might be our "retro"?

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
@ JamesDNaux JamesDNaux
What do you think the return of Lip's Stick would do to her chances, if such an event occurs?
It would probably mean that she's not in but she's still getting references. Maybe she could get a stage this time at least.
Good point.... what would you give those chances then? 40%? 50%?
I don't really work in percentages. I'd just say, if Sakurai thought about it this time, her chances would be somewhat decent.
I'm pretty certain that the Wii isn't retro, but you'll have to ask an expert on that. Mac will just be added in as a new series, like Marth, Olimar, and Villager.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Even if Sakurai still considered him a "retro" (which I doubt) - it wouldn't be him. Sakurai stated the retro he had in mind would be capable of, but hasn't yet seen, a series revival like Pit's. Given that Mac has been "revived", that's not the character he was referring to.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Even if Sakurai still considered him a "retro" (which I doubt) - it wouldn't be him. Sakurai stated the retro he had in mind would be capable of, but hasn't yet seen, a series revival like Pit's. Given that Mac has been "revived", that's not the character he was referring to.
Takamaru then? I don't really think Nintendo Land counts as a revival.

I'm so indifferent to almost every retro that I'm not really thinking about which one would be added.

andimidna

Smash Master
Here's an interesting thought. Do you think that Sakurai is putting in Retro's this time or just oddball Nintendo characters? I can't shake the feeling that Wii Fit Trainer doesn't fit in Smash, and when I compare her to the cast, she fits best with R.O.B. and Game and Watch. Maybe Sakurai puts in two characters that are from Nintendo games each smash one character that fits, and one that doesn't (usually this has been just retro characters, but it could pertain to any obscure Nintendo characters).

These characters usually one have one game, or aren't very well known.

Melee:
Fitting Character - Ice Climbers :icsmelee:

Oddball - Game and Watch :gawmelee:

Brawl:
Fitting Character - Pit :pit:

Oddball - R.O.B. :rob:

Smash 4:

Fitting Character - ?

Oddball - Wii Fit Trainer

If this logic holds, then we already received one of our two "retro" characters. Do you guys think that it is entirely likely that due to Wii Fit Trainer, we will only get one Retro? Likely someone that fits a fighting game better like Takamaru or Little Mac if you count him. Maybe we won't get any retros.....it's interesting to think about.
Wii Fit Trainer made her debut in 2008. Is that really retro? Or have I been using the word retro wrong for years?

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer

I'm so indifferent to almost every retro that I'm not really thinking about which one would be added.
Better than me, I simply think Takamaru or Lip is all that's really plausible out of them. Little Mac is not really a Retro anymore, so Takamaru takes over that spot (No matter how little that Nintendo Land game was, it's still a thing that we can't blot out of the sun. And the Samurai Warriors III appearance. Which I thought was awesome.)

Wii Fit Trainer made her debut in 2008. Is that really retro? Or have I been using the word retro wrong for years?
She's less of a Retro and more of a historical figure in Nintendo's approach into the casual market.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

A character like Takamaru or Mach Rider would probably fit the statement best, but keep in mind Sakurai didn't actually say they would see a revival, just that they would be capable of seeing one. So who knows.

In any case Takamaru is still by far the likeliest.

andimidna

Smash Master
Well I guess I'll add my thoughts. I think Takamaru is the most likely retro. Lip is a female referenced in 1 or more SSB games already through Lip's Stick. Her game was localized, with different characters. She is a she. Takamaru is more requested. Both have plenty potential to be unique. I honestly want both, I'd be less satisfied with one or the other... I see some pros and cons for each to get in over the other... But I'm rooting for both Takamaru and Lip

No no I'm wondering what if Sakurai doesn't add Retro characters, he just adds unexpected characters.
I guess it's a possibility, but I don't see a surprise character like... idk... Party Phil, Just Dance Girl, Virtual Boy, or Monita affecting this game as positively as Takamaru and Lip would... it's hard to explain, but I like the retro characters, and I think most do too.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Just a piece of info, Mach Rider had a planned revival for the 3DS, but it was silently cancelled.
I don't know what happened to it, and in fact I didn't know about it up to about a month ago.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Just a piece of info, Mach Rider had a planned revival for the 3DS, but it was silently cancelled.
I don't know what happened to it, and in fact I didn't know about it up to about a month ago.
I heard about it. I believe it died in the whole conceptual phase. Certainly is not very optimistic towards his chances. Or, it could mean the opposite. Or, it could have been just a rumor.

Last edited:

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
i vaguely remember Sakurai expressing interest in reviving Mach Rider. it really has the makings for a strong reboot

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That was a false rumor.

Also not a topical one.

JacobT

Smash Rookie
will you be able to use a gamecube control or a wii controller for this game?
what do you guys think will be the best way to maximize the characters' potential, would you use a wii-u pro controller?

andimidna

Smash Master
As much as I usually dislike them... Can we think up some possible joke characters? I can only think of Party Phil, Just Dance Girl, Virtual Boy, Unspecified Action Figure, and Monita. *shudders*

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
I heard about it. I believe it died in the whole conceptual phase. Certainly is not very optimistic towards his chances. Or, it could mean the opposite.
Consider that Sakurai doesn't think like the rest of Nintendo. Mach Rider was capable of being revived, he was on the table, so it seems. They were obviously playing with the idea. Sakurai may have been alluding to that, or he might have been talking about someone else all together.

Capable of a revival? Sure. Actually getting revived? Not so much.

will you be able to use a gamecube control or a wii controller for this game?
what do you guys think will be the best way to maximize the characters' potential, would you use a wii-u pro controller?
Gamecube to USB adaptor. It's possible. I have a Wii U Pro Controller. It feels really nice in the hands, but i will always have my trusty GC controller if need be.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Also not a topical one.
Just out of curiosity N3ON, how was this off topic?
We're talking about retro characters who can get potential reboots, and I added to the conversation by sharing a supposed reboot for a popular retro option.
Seriously, I don't think that was off topic at all.
And I didn't know it was false, thanks for telling me that.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
Also, I also remember hearing that Mach is actually a girl, like Samus.
yeah thats cause of Mach Rider Vs. thats one of those open to interpretation moments. its debatable whether or not the image indicates that this woman was Mach Rider or if she happened to be a member of the resistance base u make it too.

personally it could go either way

pikachugamer21

Smash Journeyman
if takamaru doesn't make it in the game then i'll settle for mach rider even though i hardly know anything about him or her whatever it is

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Just out of curiosity N3ON, how was this off topic?
We're talking about retro characters who can get potential reboots, and I added to the conversation by sharing a supposed reboot for a popular retro option.
Seriously, I don't think that was off topic at all.
And I didn't know it was false, thanks for telling me that.
Discussing Mach Rider is topical if it relates to Smash. But delving any further into the rumor wouldn't have been, as the rumor didn't pertain to Smash. It was nothing major.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I know nothing about Takamaru, Lip, or Mach Rider. But I do know that, out of those three, I'm extremely interested in a new Murasame Castle.

Plus, samurai are really ****ing cool.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Alright, tried to get into a bit more detail here, if anyone sees any mistakes or would like to add points, just mention it.
Takamaru
Pros:
  • Highly requested retro character.
  • Completes the "Famicom Four" consisting of Link, Samus, Pit, and Takamaru himself.
  • Revives a classic game, which is part of the reason Sakurai likes adding retro characters.
  • Had a mini-game in Nintendo Land, and cameo appearances in other games, bringing him to more people's attention.
  • Has been referenced before in Smash Bros. itself, and has been mentioned by Sakurai before.
Cons:
  • Only had a single game, which was Japan only. Though with the Nintendo Land game, this point doesn't hurt him as much.
  • Can't really think of any more honestly.
Lip
Pros:
  • Somewhat requested character, though not much in the way of competition.
  • "Revives" a franchise while also possibly bringing it to the west.
  • Sakurai himself called Panel de Pon a "true masterpiece."
  • Sakurai also continually leaves references to the series in Smash Bros. such as Kirby's garbage block cameo, an item, and even a remixed song.
  • Sakurai once worried that she would be too obscure, but his general opinion has since changed as he's added such characters as the Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch, and the Wii Fit Trainer. It's possible that he would take the chance to add her so more people would know about her games.
Cons:
  • An obscure, (partially) Japan only series. All ports of the games were altered to be different, though the original games are still referenced in some ways.
  • Lip herself was dropped from the series, and it became the more generic Puzzle League in order to avoid having to change it greatly when porting it.
  • Sakurai's previous reluctance to add her, though as with the Villager before, his opinion may have changed.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So... uh, Mach Rider is a reverse trap?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Alright, tried to get into a bit more detail here, if anyone sees any mistakes or would like to add points, just mention it.
Takamaru
Pros:
  • Completes the "Famicom Four" consisting of Link, Samus, Pit, and Takamaru himself.
  • Revives a classic game, which is part of the reason Sakurai likes adding retro characters.
  • Had a mini-game in Nintendo Land, and cameo appearances in other games, bringing him to more people's attention.
  • Has been referenced before in Smash Bros. itself, and has been mentioned by Sakurai before.
Cons:
  • Only had a single game, which was Japan only. Though with the Nintendo Land game, this point doesn't hurt him as much.
Lip
Pros:
  • Sakurai also continually leaves references to the series in Smash Bros. such as Kirby's garbage block cameo, an item, and even a remixed song.
  • Sakurai once worried that she would be too obscure, but his general opinion has since changed as he's added such characters as the Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch, and the Wii Fit Trainer. It's possible that he would take the chance to add her so more people would know about her games.
Cons:
  • An obscure, (partially) Japan only series. All ports of the games were altered to be different, though the original games are still referenced in some ways.
  • Lip herself was dropped from the series, and it became the more generic Puzzle League in order to avoid having to change it greatly when porting it.
  • Sakurai's previous reluctance to add her, though as with the Villager before, his opinion may have changed.
I think you should just list pros, as adding con's is like trying to defeat your own argument.

andimidna

Smash Master
I've seen people requesting Athena and Hikari on Miiverse. Does anybody know anything about them? I don't.

EDIT: "
Nazo no Murasame Jō was later ported to Game Boy Advance on August 10, 2004 as part of the Famicom Mini Series, and to the Wii's Virtual Console on August 19, 2008, both exclusively in Japan. Nazo no Murasame Jō is slated for release on the Nintendo 3DS, and may feature camera support, 3D support, or analog support. This release was featured amongst other games from the Nintendo Entertainment System and Super NES to be released for the 3DS on a tech demo called Classic Games at E3 2010.[1]

A television drama of the same name was produced by Fuji Television in 1986 with a plot loosely based around that of the game.[2] The game also made cameo appearances in other video games. In the Nintendo GameCube game Pikmin 2, one of the objects found in the game is the Nazo no Murasame Jō game disk. In the Wii game Captain Rainbow, Takamaru appears as a supporting character.[3] In the Wii game Super Smash Bros. Brawl, a song titled "Nazo no Murasamejo - Douchuumen", based on the overworld theme heard before entering the castles, appears as an unlockable song for the Mario Bros. stage, along with himself as one of the many unlockable stickers. In the Nintendo DS game WarioWare D.I.Y., one of the microgames in the Japanese version is based on Nazo no Murasame Jō. In the Wii game Samurai Warriors 3, Takamaru (Voiced by Hiroshi Okamoto) appears as a bonus character in the Murasame castle mode. The series is also featured in Nintendo Land for the Wii U as Takamaru's Ninja Castle."
2nd game or not. At least we know Nintendo hasn't forgot about him or his game.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
So... uh, Mach Rider is a reverse trap?
Mach is Samus' long lost twin sister, Sumas Aran.

I think you should just list pros, as adding con's is like trying to defeat your own argument.
Just trying to be realistic here, I still feel that Lip has decently strong chance, it all just depends on how things happened. And Takamaru is already likely anyway.

pikachugamer21

Smash Journeyman
Takamaru
Pros:
Cons:
Lip
Pros:
Cons:
i think you summed it up rather well

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
There's some retros that I'd love to see, however, my most wanted ones are way too obscure and I seriously doubt they'd even be considered. I'd love to see Takamaru, though.

Mach Rider is one character I'm keeping my eyes on, however. I'm still debating whether I'd prefer Mach Rider to have a moveset revolving around fighting on the motorcycle, or on foot. Having a fighter strictly on a vehicle for their moveset is something we haven't seen before, and if pulled off right, I think it could be very innovative and fun. I'd love to see the creativity pushed to its limitations with a moveset like that.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
EDIT: "
Nazo no Murasame Jō was later ported to Game Boy Advance on August 10, 2004 as part of the Famicom Mini Series, and to the Wii's Virtual Console on August 19, 2008, both exclusively in Japan. Nazo no Murasame Jō is slated for release on the Nintendo 3DS, and may feature camera support, 3D support, or analog support. This release was featured amongst other games from the Nintendo Entertainment System and Super NES to be released for the 3DS on a tech demo called Classic Games at E3 2010.[1]

A television drama of the same name was produced by Fuji Television in 1986 with a plot loosely based around that of the game.[2] The game also made cameo appearances in other video games. In the Nintendo GameCube game Pikmin 2, one of the objects found in the game is the Nazo no Murasame Jō game disk. In the Wii game Captain Rainbow, Takamaru appears as a supporting character.[3] In the Wii game Super Smash Bros. Brawl, a song titled "Nazo no Murasamejo - Douchuumen", based on the overworld theme heard before entering the castles, appears as an unlockable song for the Mario Bros. stage, along with himself as one of the many unlockable stickers. In the Nintendo DS game WarioWare D.I.Y., one of the microgames in the Japanese version is based on Nazo no Murasame Jō. In the Wii game Samurai Warriors 3, Takamaru (Voiced by Hiroshi Okamoto) appears as a bonus character in the Murasame castle mode. The series is also featured in Nintendo Land for the Wii U as Takamaru's Ninja Castle."
2nd game or not. At least we know Nintendo hasn't forgot about him or his game.
This is some good stuff, any chance you can find something to help Lip more as well?

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
I'll be the odd one out I guess and flat out state I have no interest in Lip and only a passing interest in Takamaru. Whether or not either of them is playable isn't really something I'm concerned with. That being said oh dear lord I want Mach Rider as a playable character so bad. A launch title for the NES with a huge potential for a reboot, especially in the current game climate where technology, weapons, and the apocalypse are common themes? Sign me up. I can't picture him fighting off of his bike though, and I really feel he could have a fun and innovative moveset as a mounted character.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Just trying to be realistic here, I still feel that Lip has decently strong chance, it all just depends on how things happened. And Takamaru is already likely anyway.
Well, in persuasive writing, counterarguments (con's) are presented so they can be torn down. You want to show support for Lip and make us agree.

Unless you're neutral and are just listing points. Still, the con's are easy to figure out, you should focus on what she has to offer.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Well, in persuasive writing, counterarguments (con's) are presented so they can be torn down. You want to show support for Lip and make us agree.

Unless you're neutral and are just listing points. Still, the con's are easy to figure out, you should focus on what she has to offer.
Oh trust me, I do support both Takamaru and Lip, I didn't put them in my signature for nothing. That said, King K. Rool is my most wanted newcomer and I still can't stop seeing negatives that hold him back, I like to be hopeful, but I'm not going to get myself riled up over a character just to get my hopes crushed you know?
Though if K. Rool misses out on the fourth bloody game, my hopes will be crushed anyway, but that's beside the point.

If that's the case though, ignore the cons and just add onto the pros that she hasn't been forgotten by her own creators, which helps I guess.

I'm not going to worry about Takamaru then, since there's not really any reason to doubt him in the first place. Gotta keep looking for pros for Lip though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom