• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422

This is a combination of my prediction and wishlist roster.

The more odd choices would be Tiki and Andy in this case, both characters whom I believe can demonstrate extraordinary potential in character, uniqueness in gameplay, and overall roster balance.

But to be honest I'm indifferent as to who our retro character is going to be if we are to receive one, from what I've seen the top contenders are Takamaru, Lip, and Mach Rider all of whom are obscure to the majority of the fanbase but all of whom have great potential.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
How about Muddy Mole?
He's no furry magnet, mind you.
No exceptions.

I don't really care for him, doesn't Miyamoto have enough characters in Smash already?
I'm pretty doubtful of something that, even though it was made by Miyamoto, didn't turn into a big franchise.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
How about Muddy Mole?
He's no furry magnet, mind you.
Not yet... but if Sakurai adds him in Smash as a newcomer... the Internet is gonna start acknowledging his existence... just ask Wii Fit Trainer!

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
@ JamesDNaux JamesDNaux
Definitely your best roster so far.
I would be completely content if we get this roster.
As depressing as this is, I guess it's a good thing too. As long as no one starts about Krystal or Lip.

Well I mean, is that really an excuse?
Miyamoto made Ice Climber? You learn something new every day.

Is Muddy even old enough to be retro? The Game Boy isn't that old.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
As depressing as this is, I guess it's a good thing too. As long as no one starts about Krystal or Lip.

You gonna call me whippersnapper Gramps? Pfft. Game boys are for nerds. $500 dollar tablets are way better.

- Said no one ever

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Muddy Mole's game came out in 1996... so it is about 18 years old now... but remember that at the time Melee came out, Ice Climber was already 16 years old... and at the time Brawl came out, it's been 17 years since Kid Icarus's last game. Personally, I count characters who haven't had a game in the last 15 years to be retro.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Muddy Mole's game came out in 1996... so it is about 18 years old now... but remember that at the time Melee came out, Ice Climber was already 16 years old... and at the time Brawl came out, it's been 17 years since Kid Icarus's last game. Personally, I count characters who haven't had a game in the last 15 years to be retro.
Would banjo be retro then? (Minus nuts and bolts obviously)

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I feel so old right now. :urg:

Is the N64 truly already retro? Where has the time gone?

Would banjo be retro then? (Minus nuts and bolts obviously)
That was the first thing that came to my mind too, but then he had that GBA game so not really. Unless GBA is retro too now.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Muddy's weakness:
fall-through platforms. :troll:
That has always been my concern when it comes to Muddy's digging mechanic... how would that work on the planes in Pilotwings stage... or the moving platform in Skyloft stage... or the train in Spirit Tracks stage?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
That has always been my concern when it comes to Muddy's digging mechanic... how would that work on the planes in Pilotwings stage... or the moving platform in Skyloft stage... or the train in Spirit Tracks stage?
It could work.
Smash Bros doesn't have to be realistic after all.
Compare it to Peach's vegetable plucking.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Like I said, it's still curious as to why he would be concerned over how well known someone is, when past events show him having no complications with the idea. Which is why that statement confuses me, and why Lip is the only butt of this joke. You could argue that Sukapon falls into a similar thing, but that's a lot more ambiguous as to why he was shot down.
Well Sakurai has shown concern over limiting characters with limited recognition, such as Japan-only ones, just not to the extent he would totally exclude them from the roster.

A character like Lip would probably only really have a shot if there weren't already an abundance of limited-exposure newcomers already on the roster.

pikachugamer21

Smash Journeyman
Muddy is a character I've never really considered for a newcomer but he sounds like a pretty great character

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I concede, I shouldn't have been speaking of F-Zero with the little knowledge of it I have, I just assumed a racing game didn't have much in it besides racing.
Yeah, would have fooled me too if I hadn't do a little research here and there. No harm done!
I never knew about DK's punch though, I haven't seen the show before.
Consider that a blessing. Do not watch it.
---
My idea has always been that he burrows through it still, but spikes opponents who come in contact with him during the move. Would make it really useful against recovering opponents in the traveling stages.
Alternatively, he could just keep his claws stuck in the stage and move around underneath the platform. But he would be completely visible during this.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
How about dat Lanky Kong. He lacks style and grace, but what he does have - Is a funny face.
I mean, he can handstand when he needs to, he even stretches his arms out. Just for you.

I have memorized every word of that song. That's bad, right?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Well Sakurai has shown concern over limiting characters with limited recognition, such as Japan-only ones, just not to the extent he would totally exclude them from the roster.
He never said anything about excluding characters only from Japan, he said he'd hesitate over characters that were only popular in Japan. Which is a different subject.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
He never said anything about excluding characters only from Japan, he said he'd hesitate over characters that were only popular in Japan. Which is a different subject.
Dammit.... Tingle deconfirmed. :dizzy:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I know, I said he wouldn't exclude them, only limit them. And really, in regards to Japan-only characters, they only do find a notable amount of popularity in Japan (though sometimes not even then). Even if characters like Lip or Sukapon are popular on Smash sites, in the grand scheme of things we're a tiny sample size compared to the overall popularity and recognition that character would (or wouldn't) face in the western market prior to their inclusion.

I exclude Takamaru because he's not Japan-only anymore, even if his series is.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
For all we know Sakurai still only views NES and GB era characters as "classic". There's been no statement to prove otherwise yet.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Characters that debuted on Game Boy are classic?

Wario Land Wario confirmed.

And then everyone was happy.
Well maybe not technically, but if OMaM didn't effect Pit's status as token "classic" character, Sakurai probably views NES and GB titles in the same, or at least similar, vein.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
He's technically not one anymore thanks to Sin and Punishment: Star Successor.
Saki was in Star Successor? Thought it was his son Isa Jo...

Man, what's with Nintendo making descendants of most-wanted Smash characters... Marth gets Chrom and Lucina, Ike gets Priam, Isaac gets Matthew, Saki gets Isa...

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Saki was in Star Successor? Thought it was his son Isa Jo...

Man, what's with Nintendo making descendants of most-wanted Smash characters... Marth gets Chrom and Lucina, Ike gets Priam, Isaac gets Matthew, Saki gets Isa...
K.Rool, Mewtwo, and Ridley destined to have descendants confirmed.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Well maybe not technically, but if OMaM didn't effect Pit's status as token "classic" character, Sakurai probably views NES and GB titles in the same, or at least similar, vein.
I think it's more because Sakurai ignores handheld games.

Seriously, there have never been handheld exclusive characters.
And I shlap the wise one who says Mr. G&W.

Pokemon doesn't count because...well, come one, we all know why Pokemon is the exception.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom