• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I want to see legitimate footholds that Lip has over Takamaru.
The main reason people latch onto Lip is for similar reasons as Takamaru.

Like for example, she was a character that previously discussed by Sakurai himself like Takamaru, but in hindsight Pavel de Pon has a larger cult following in Japan then The Mysterious Murasame Castle. I would also argue she is more original then Takamaru, but that isn't saying much since Takamaru brings his own flavor to begin with.

Personally I'm the crowd that we should get both, because I don't see any problems with either character.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

Like for example, she was a character that previously discussed by Sakurai himself like Takamaru, but in hindsight Pavel de Pon has a larger cult following in Japan then The Mysterious Murasame Castle. I would also argue she is more original then Takamaru, but that isn't saying much since Takamaru brings his own flavor to begin with.

Personally I'm the crowd that we should get both, because I don't see any problems with either character.
Sometimes I wonder why we don't have lots of Mach Rider discussion then.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

I say T-man because Nintendo Land.

Very complex logic.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Afaik, Sakurai's comments have only pertained to Panel de Pon, not extended to Lip herself... but that's still more than most characters/series get.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I don't know much of Takamaru, but I'm very game for a samurai-style swordfighter (+magic spells).

Magical fairy girls are pretty cool too, though.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Afaik, Sakurai's comments have only pertained to Panel de Pon, not extended to Lip herself... but that's still more than most characters/series get.
Well, technically the question itself was regarding to the inclusion of Lip, and Sakurai's answer talks about him loving the game Panel de Pon but questioned how many people would recognize Lip herself.

Which in hindsight is ironic.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
The most I've seen of noting to Lip was her theme in Brawl. I think that's what the peak has been, as far as I can tell.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I suppose Sakurai did reference Lip specifically then... you're right... but it's not exactly in the best of contexts, especially since he wasn't even referring to solely western audiences when questioning how many people would recognize her.

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman
Sometimes I wonder why we don't have lots of Mach Rider discussion then.
Dude, Mach Rider would be awesome. An entire moveset based on bike tricks would be amazing. ...Though I'm sure some of his animations would be a tad awkward.
Dodging, for example.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Dude, Mach Rider would be awesome. An entire moveset based on bike tricks would be amazing. ...Though I'm sure some of his animations would be a tad awkward.
Dodging, for example.
I think he'll just summon his motorcycle for his specials, like maybe for example he'll use his motorcycle do a 360 flip as a recovery.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
@Mega Bidoof
By that logic any character that exhibits some degree of uniqueness would have chances on par with characters highly important to their series, which is obviously not the case.
It wasn't just "uniqueness" that landed Rosalina her spot, the series, her increasing role in it, and her popularity also probably played some factor as well, and a supporting character from as series like Kirby can't claim to be in that same position. There's a big leap between taking from B-List Mario characters and B-List Kirby characters.

I agree her potential for being original did probably play a not-insignificant role, but that doesn't justify any character that could also bring something unique, as most characters have the capacity for some sort of originality.
Therefore claiming Rosalina strengthens Bandana Dee's chances is as arbitrary as claiming she strengthens the chances of any potentially original character, which number into the hundreds. There are many more factors for supporting characters from series lesser than Mario to overcome before they are even in the same position as Rosalina, or other Mario candidates.
I wanted to add that the newcomers, so far, appear to be representing game mechanics of an entire series of games through their movesets instead of getting made-up unique movesets like the majority of Brawl newcomers...

Mega Man's moveset... based on Mega Man game mechanics (sliding, shooting while running, etc.) and Robot Master weapons.

Rosalina's moveset... based on Super Mario Galaxy motion controls and gravity effects (even though you played as Mario and Luigi in those games but Sakurai was never going to change their movesets so Rosalina made sense)

Villager's moveset... based on Animal Crossing tools and game mechanics (growing/cutting trees, digging holes, collecting items, etc.) with a Balloon Fight recovery

Wii Fit Trainer's moveset... based on Wii Fit exercises and mini-games.

If this is the trend with SSB4 newcomers then...

Little Mac's moveset... based on Punch-Out!! game mechanics (getting tired if you miss punching someone... forcing players to think first before throwing a punch... scoring stars when you successfully hit someone... using up stars to throw stronger punches)

Mii's moveset... based off sports and other activities in Wii Sports games, Wii Party games, and Wii Play games... maybe with a Pilotwings recovery

Pac-Man's moveset... based on Pac-Man arcade game mechanics (eating ghosts and dots, right-angular movements)

I am only doing the Leaky 3 as examples... I think that Sakurai is adding Nintendo newcomers based on the game mechanics of major recent Nintendo titles... Villager from Animal Crossing: City Folk... Wii Fit Trainer from Wii Fit and Wii Fit Plus... Rosalina from Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Galaxy 2...

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I wanted to add that the newcomers, so far, appear to be representing game mechanics of an entire series of games through their movesets instead of getting made-up unique movesets like the majority of Brawl newcomers...

Mega Man's moveset... based on Mega Man game mechanics (sliding, shooting while running, etc.) and Robot Master weapons.

Rosalina's moveset... based on Super Mario Galaxy motion controls and gravity effects (even though you played as Mario and Luigi in those games but Sakurai was never going to change their movesets so Rosalina made sense)

Villager's moveset... based on Animal Crossing tools and game mechanics (growing/cutting trees, digging holes, collecting items, etc.) with a Balloon Fight recovery

Wii Fit Trainer's moveset... based on Wii Fit exercises and mini-games.

If this is the trend with SSB4 newcomers then...

Little Mac's moveset... based on Punch-Out!! game mechanics (getting tired if you miss punching someone... forcing players to think first before throwing a punch... scoring stars when you successfully hit someone... using up stars to throw stronger punches)

Mii's moveset... based off sports and other activities in Wii Sports games, Wii Party games, and Wii Play games... maybe with a Pilotwings recovery

Pac-Man's moveset... based on Pac-Man arcade game mechanics (eating ghosts and dots, right-angular movements)

I am only doing the Leaky 3 as examples... I think that Sakurai is adding Nintendo newcomers based on the game mechanics of major recent Nintendo titles... Villager from Animal Crossing: City Folk... Wii Fit Trainer from Wii Fit and Wii Fit Plus... Rosalina from Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Galaxy 2...
Chrom...um...

Palutena...um...

Ghirahim...um...

Sandbag...um...

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Stork: switching out babies for different properties and special moves like in yoshis island DS

...what? It could work.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
[collapse=]Now this is the story all about how this thread got flipped, turned upside down and I'd like to take a minute just sit right there, I'll tell you how I mentioned Little Mac was up in the air. [/collapse]

I'd really like to see both Takamaru and Lip, and there certainly isn't any reason we couldn't get both of them. Takamaru is already the retro that everyone expects, unless Sakurai throws us his patented curve ball by adding someone else instead. Lip is still a possibility too, if he changed his mind about Villager, surely he could change his mind about adding an "obscure" character, that is if he hasn't already realized that people do in fact want Lip. Plus the whole reviving characters thing.

Takamaru would be the one that everyone expected while Lip could be the curve ball that some people doubted.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
[collapse=]Now this is the story all about how this thread got flipped, turned upside down and I'd like to take a minute just sit right there, I'll tell you how I mentioned Little Mac was up in the air. [/collapse]

I'd really like to see both Takamaru and Lip, and there certainly isn't any reason we couldn't get both of them. Takamaru is already the retro that everyone expects, unless Sakurai throws us his patented curve ball by adding someone else instead. Lip is still a possibility too, if he changed his mind about Villager, surely he could change his mind about adding an "obscure" character, that is if he hasn't already realized that people do in fact want Lip. Plus the whole reviving characters thing.

Takamaru would be the one that everyone expected while Lip could be the curve ball that some people doubted.

Why Lip AND Takamaru and not Little Mac?

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Speaking of leaky 3, the "leaky 3" name is spreading slowly. :evil:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=98321894&postcount=13957
What's the "Leaky 3" rumour?
Thanks shinpichu for adding your Super Smash Lovers leak. :troll:

Or we could get Muddy Mole and Mach Rider, or Prince Sable and Duck Hunt Dog, you never really know what he'd going to do with retros.
Though Takamaru has the better chance than anyone, he might revive another franchise such as Lip as you mentioned. But I personally consider Sable to be more ideal of a revival.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Um, why mach rider over excitebiker? Because guns?

But sakuri doesn't even like guns in smash!

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I suppose Sakurai did reference Lip specifically then... you're right... but it's not exactly in the best of contexts, especially since he wasn't even referring to solely western audiences when questioning how many people would recognize her.
Like I said, it's still curious as to why he would be concerned over how well known someone is, when past events show him having no complications with the idea. Which is why that statement confuses me, and why Lip is the only butt of this joke. You could argue that Sukapon falls into a similar thing, but that's a lot more ambiguous as to why he was shot down.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Like I said, it's still curious as to why he would be concerned over how well known someone is, when past events show him having no complications with the idea. Which is why that statement confuses me, and why Lip is the only butt of this joke. You could argue that Sukapon falls into a similar thing, but that's a lot more ambiguous as to why he was shot down.
Maybe he's concerned about the lolis. But that's just my weak theory, so I have no idea. :nervous:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Why Lip AND Takamaru and not Little Mac?
Why not all three?

Or we could get Muddy Mole and Mach Rider, or Prince Sable and Duck Hunt Dog, you never really know what he'd going to do with retros.
Though Takamaru has the better chance than anyone, he might revive another franchise such as Lip as you mentioned. But I personally consider Sable to be more ideal of a revival.
Mach Rider maybe, Sable possibly, Muddy Mole very, very, unlikely, not going to mention the dog.

I just personally prefer Lip, plus he's already acknowledged her before, so there's at least something there to hope for.

Maybe he's concerned about the lolis. But that's just my weak theory, so I have no idea. :nervous:
Nothing is wrong with lolis.

Vez

Smash Apprentice
I think Takamaru is one of the few Japanese only characters I'm pretty down with because I think he could easily be popular with people outside of Japan. It does seem like a good idea to revive him. I don't think someone like Lip would ever take off, though.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Loli- a slang term commonly used to refer to sexually attractive, seductive or precocious young girls.
That's what Zero3750 says about Lip. :awesome:

I just personally prefer Lip, plus he's already acknowledged her before, so there's at least something there to hope for..
Personally I think that doesn't really benefit her, but the mention is what I think made Lip so popular now in Smashboards.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Why not all three?
Because all three aren't on your roster.

Oh my god, we never talk about Sukapon.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Lip's moveset could be based off Panel de Pon game mechanics... aiming the cursor to make opponents face the opposite direction or making the projectiles go in the opposite direction... even making two opponents switch places if they are close to each other... and making garbage blocks drop from above as a finishing move whenever she does combos and dropping bigger garbage blocks after she chains multiple combos together...

Panel Flip (B) - hold the B button to make a cursor appear... move the stick to make the cursor move around... release the button to make the switch
Chain Combo (Side+B) - like Marth's Side+B move...
Garbage Block (Down+B) - the garbage block size depends on how many combos (Side+B) you were able to string together before pressing Down+B
Flower Lift (Up+B) - I guess she rides on the flower as seen in the intro screen
Puzzle League (Final Smash) - a puzzle grid of blocks appears and you must play a mini-game of Panel de Pon... quickly make combos and chains to make many garbage blocks rain the stage before the Final Smash effect wears out

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom