• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Pit never had any status like that.
If I am not mistaken, Pit was the most-wanted retro newcomer for Brawl...

Funny that the protagonist of Kid Icarus was the most-wanted retro newcomer for Brawl... and now the damsel of Kid Icarus is the most-wanted female newcomer for SSB4. :awesome:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Pit never had any status like that.
There was a token classic character in Melee. There will be a token classic this time around. Pit was apparently chosen due to popularity, however the only notable amount of popularity he had was among retro characters.

We don't need explicit statements from Sakurai about every last thing to be able to connect the dots ourselves.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
No retro left is all that popular. We have Lip being Japan-Only, and in all likelyhood, not much more popular in JSmash communities than ours. We have Takamaru who has a noticable (but not massive) fanbase, here, and probably one there as well. Then you have a non-Japan only like Mach Rider, who isn't too popular in general.

With the current retros, I feel like we're picking the best of the unpopular choices. Why not add LMac, Miis, and Shulk. Call it a day on smaller franchises. (Who already have Miss Fit, and Villager). I'm sure they could all be cool characters, but so could a more recent smaller franchise choice.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
There was a token classic character in Melee. There will be a token classic this time around. Pit was apparently chosen due to popularity, however the only notable amount of popularity he had was among retro characters.

We don't need explicit statements from Sakurai about every last thing to be able to connect the dots ourselves.
Still doesn't change the fact that Pit wasn't chosen because he was old.

Also, yes, let's ignore everything that comes directly from the director's mouth.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
If I am not mistaken, Pit was the most-wanted retro newcomer for Brawl...

Funny that the protagonist of Kid Icarus was the most-wanted retro newcomer for Brawl... and now the damsel of Kid Icarus is the most-wanted female newcomer for SSB4. :awesome:
It's because Kid Icarus is awesome. You don't have to have played Kid Icarus Uprising to know that.

Actually you do, because NES Kid Icarus sucked hard.

This is true. Most of us claw desperately for clues on what to expect instead of using logic.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I think it's more because Sakurai ignores handheld games.

Seriously, there have never been handheld exclusive characters.
And I shlap the wise one who says Mr. G&W.

Pokemon doesn't count because...well, come one, we all know why Pokemon is the exception.
Mr. Game & Watch.

Oh, Pokemon then.

Um, handhelds don't count anyway? No one cares about the handheld games in the first place.

K.Rool, Mewtwo, and Ridley destined to have descendants confirmed.
Well Ridley already has a clone, Mewtwo (apparently) has a female wannabe Mewtwo. I guess K. Rool has a spiritual walrus successor.

Actually you do, because NES Kid Icarus sucked hard.
Wait, what? It wasn't bad because you couldn't beat it, you've got that backwards. :troll:

Seriously though, that game was good old fashion Nintendo hard.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Still doesn't change the fact that Pit wasn't chosen because he was old.
No, he was chosen because he was the most popular in the old folk's home. ;)

Also, yes, let's ignore everything that comes directly from the director's mouth.
Just because Pit was chosen due to popularity doesn't mean it wasn't popularity... out of a limited selection of characters. Obviously Pit wasn't among the most popular in general.

There's a big difference between connecting Sakurai's dots from his prior actions/partial statements and outright ignoring him. Accepting what he says as the whole unfiltered truth is obv no better, he's clearly not going to tell us everything anyway.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
So... what are we talking about? I should be doing work but I really don't want to, I am exhausted. Plus I'm on a lot of antibiotics so I'm pretty mellow.

Retros? Well, Lip, Duck Hunt Dog, and Takamaru are my faves, though I wouldn't mind seeing Mach Rider or Muddy Mole.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
So... what are we talking about? I should be doing work but I really don't want to, I am exhausted. Plus I'm on a lot of antibiotics so I'm pretty mellow.
Honey, antibiotics don't get you high <3

And, we're talking about which character on life support (via seemingly only Smash fans asking for them playable) to revive

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
It's not like he isn't crazy.

Joking aside, you can't set such standards for one person. Especially when he says so many conflicting things. He's not a continuum. Sometimes he just says stuff. Sometimes he's just plain wrong.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Takamaru's popularity really didn't take off until Little Mac broke free from the "retro" category iirc.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Ice Climber had one problem: it lacked air momentum. Fix that and it's great. Kid Icarus never really struck a chord with me.
Kid Icarus had one problem: it lacked vertical scrolling back down... you could only go up... but it was fixed in the Game Boy sequel... oh, and it also gave Pit the ability to slow his descent by flapping his wings.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Honey, antibiotics don't get you high <3

And, we're talking about which character on life support (via seemingly only Smash fans asking for them playable) to revive
Honey if there is one thing I know it's the difference between medication and actual drugs. Besides, all I said is I was exhausted. My medicine has codeine in it, a very potent opiate.

I still favor DHD and Lip more than any other retro/classic character, so I would want either of them in.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Shameless Plug, but check out my Bonkers thread!

Ahem...
Onto the subject at hand.

It's ironic that a retro character becomes popular, isn't it?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Takamaru's popularity really didn't take off until Little Mac broke free from the "retro" category iirc.
Takamaru didn't start gaining any form of popularity until after the release of Samurai Warriors 3.
Well, more so a blend of Samurai Warriors 3, Captain Rainbow, and Nintendo Land.

But still, he didn't gain popularity until way after Brawl's roster was finished.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
But still, he didn't gain popularity until way after Brawl's roster was finished.
This much is true, but without Punch-Out Wii he'd still have quite the tough time being considered the "most popular retro" (as he probably wouldn't be - at least in the west).

Also... I don't really know how much Captain Rainbow did for the popularity of any character in Captain Rainbow... not even Japan cared about that game.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
This much is true, but without Punch-Out Wii he'd still have quite the tough time being considered the "most popular retro" (as he probably wouldn't be - at least in the west).

Also... I don't really know how much Captain Rainbow did for the popularity of any character in Captain Rainbow... not even Japan cared about that game.
That's too bad, that game was such a hilarious concept.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
I think Nintendo Land was really a good contribution for him as a retro character. It shows that Nintendo actually is aware of him and it boosted his popularity exponentially, not to mention made some people (including myself) actually aware of his existence

Louie G.

Smash Hero
If only Muddy had some more support.
I would really love to see Muddy in Smash Bros.
And think of a Mole Mania game for 3DS! It's a perfect fit!

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
If that were true you wouldn't put "medication" (Which is just a fancy word for drugs a doctor gave you) and drugs in two different categories. Antibiotics, however, are. But we should just drop it before we're warned.

Prince Sable would be pretty neat imo. I like the whole frog/snake transformation.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Turning into a frog and a snake is bringing something new in terms of playstyle.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Fan **** or not, Little Mac will always be more popular then Takamaru by default due to the larger exposure of Punch Out!!

By default, any reference will create curiosity.

Also, people forget that the internet exist for some reason.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
If that were true you wouldn't put "medication" (Which is just a fancy word for drugs a doctor gave you) and drugs in two different categories. Antibiotics, however, are. But we should just drop it before we're warned.

Prince Sable would be pretty neat imo. I like the whole frog/snake transformation.
Sounds difficult to program. What does he do?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Turning into a frog and a snake is bringing something new in terms of playstyle.
Not as much as digging underground, being on a motorcycle 24/7, turning invisible, and summoning garbage blocks from the sky.
Sable can be cool, but we already have two characters that have a similar transformation gimmick.
Zelda turning into Sheik and Pokemon Trainer's 3 Pokes.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
While i do agree that it would be cool to have these transformations, seeing PKMN Trainer makes me doubt it would be worth it. PKMN Trainer suffered from lackluster mechanics, and I feel Sable would be in the same boat. Not to mention, balancing takes a LOT of time, and the resources allocated necessary for development, IMO, would be too much.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Not as much as digging underground, being on a motorcycle 24/7, turning invisible, and summoning garbage blocks from the sky.
Sable can be cool, but we already have two characters that have a similar transformation gimmick.
Not a selective move transformation that can happen at any time, and happens quickly. I don't know how it works, really. Just want that snake form, I guess.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
While i do agree that it would be cool to have these transformations, seeing PKMN Trainer makes me doubt it would be worth it. PKMN Trainer suffered from lackluster mechanics, and I feel Sable would be in the same boat. Not to mention, balancing takes a LOT of time, and the resources allocated necessary for development, IMO, would be too much.
Besides, frogs and snakes don't have arms, and you need fists to beat the crumbs out of Mario's mustache.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Not a selective move transformation that can happen at any time, and happens quickly. I don't know how it works, really. Just want that snake form, I guess.
I just think it's too much work for something that we already kinda have.
I'd rather Sakurai add one unique character to a slot than three.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Fan **** or not, Little Mac will always be more popular then Takamaru by default due to the larger exposure of Punch Out!!
Well in that case that's true, and in many cases that's true, but it's not always a case of larger exposure = more popularity.

By default, any reference will create curiosity.

Also, people forget that the internet exist for some reason.
Right, the game still did more for Takamaru than if there hadn't been a game at all, I'm just saying the effect of Captain Rainbow on the popularity of the characters in the game was pretty minimal. I mean... it's not like it did much for Lip, and Takamaru and Little Mac gained popularity through other means, not that game. Captain Rainbow himself never even caught on to any great extent.

I'm not saying the other characters don't also bring something new to the table, but it's not like a character who transforms into two types of fighters not yet seen in Smash (even if possibly feasibly difficult to execute) can't claim to also bring something new to the table.

Yes... but what would the frog and the snake do?
I'd have to direct you to the guy who always goes on and on about Sable on that one, I haven't played the game. They wouldn't necessarily need their own complete moveset like other transformation characters, but I assume Sakurai could make them work if it was his intent. Which it won't be. Because Sable is horribly unlikely.

Just because I'm saying the character could work doesn't mean I think he should be added.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Besides, Prince Sable's alternate forms are a tad bit... unusable for attacking other Smashers. I don't know that much however, that's just an observation.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I feel that the combination of Sakurai wishing more people acknowledged Panel de Pon, his love for the game, and the possibility that he knows that more people know about Lip, mainly due to his own references in Smash, really help Lip out. I mean, what better way to have more people acknowledge Panel de Pon than to add Lip herself as a playable character in Smash? It could turn into another Fire Emblem situation where IS would bring the (unaltered) games over to everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom