• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Too soon. You're just digging into the wounds of Ridley fans.

Anyway, Mario Golf is coming out on Thursday. Even if we did get a reveal, what would we possibly get?
Which would mean I'm also digging into my own wound.
It's quite the disgusting habit, yes. I've been trying to stop it. :troll:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
View attachment 13127
*Here is my update wish roster.
I find Sceptile to be a questionable choice, especially when you already have six other Pokemon characters. That, and you add no additional Mario characters, while also adding in Ghirahim to the Zelda lineup. My personal recommendation would be to omit Sceptile in favor of a sixth Mario character, such as Bowser Jr. or Paper Mario. However, since this is a wish roster, you're free to do whatever you see fit with what characters you have. I'd just recommend a little more balance.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
View attachment 13127
*Here is my update wish roster.
Overall, I like it. Both the design and most character choices are quite appealing. However, there are a few things I'd like to address. I support having 6 Pokemon characters while Mario and Zelda have 5, but I think 7 is pushing it a little bit. I don't think Sceptile is worth it, even though I'd like to see him playable. Moreover, I don't like 6 Zelda characters with Mario at 5, ESPECIALLY when the 6th is Ghirahim. I hate him as a choice, and always will. Snake being the only cut (not counting Pokemon Trainer) puts me in a bad mood, but it doesn't hurt the roster. Other choices that don't hurt the roster, but aren't very great, IMO, are Bandanna Dee and Dixie Kong. Finally, the roster size is at 55, which I think is a tad too many.

Last edited:

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
If Mewtwo isn't a lock; neither is Greninja. IMO.
the way he trolled us on making greninja look like mewtwo..... is hinting us that mewtwo will be back, he even realises the fans demand for mewtwo. SAKURAI WON"T LET US DOWN. MEWTWO IS CONFIRMED BY ME lol

His saving the best pokemon rep for last!

Last edited:

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
*made use of this accidental post haha*

the way he trolled us on making greninja look like mewtwo..... is hinting us that mewtwo will be back, he even realises the fans demand for mewtwo. SAKURAI WON"T LET US DOWN. MEWTWO IS CONFIRMED BY ME lol
While I agree that him looking like Mewtwo was quite peculiar, I don't think we can't look on the bright-side just yet. He hasn't gotten nearly as much attention as Ridley.

Last edited:

TylerBlackRunIt

I'm from YouTube
3DS FC
2509-3601-8302
I find Sceptile to be a questionable choice, especially when you already have six other Pokemon characters. That, and you add no additional Mario characters, while also adding in Ghirahim to the Zelda lineup. My personal recommendation would be to omit Sceptile in favor of a sixth Mario character, such as Bowser Jr. or Paper Mario. However, since this is a wish roster, you're free to do whatever you see fit with what characters you have. I'd just recommend a little more balance.
Overall, I like it. Both the design and most character choices are quite appealing. However, there are a few things I'd like to address. I support having 6 Pokemon characters while Mario and Zelda have 5, but I think 7 is pushing it a little bit. I don't think Sceptile is worth it, even though I'd like to see him playable. Moreover, I don't like 6 Zelda characters with Mario at 5, ESPECIALLY when the 6th is Ghirahim. I hate him as a choice, and always will. Snake being the only cut (not counting Pokemon Trainer) puts me in a bad mood, but it doesn't hurt the roster. Other choices that don't hurt the roster, but aren't very great, IMO, are Bandanna Dee and Dixie Kong. Finally, the roster size is at 55, which I think is a tad too many. Overall, my recommendation for improvement is cutting 5 characters, dropping to 50, and I think those characters should be Bandanna Dee, Dixie Kong, Sceptile, GHIRAHIM, and Pac-Man (Personally, I have nothing against him as a choice, but he'd be my first drop out of who's left). Hope this helps!
This is why it called a "Wish Roster" not a "Roster Prediction". :p

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
Bandana Waddle Dee is the one who I have least confidence in in your newcomer picks; even with the changes to King Dedede.

The estimated release date helped me guesstimate how many characters we'll have before reveal and I used that to guesstimate the total number of characters in the game based on Sakurai's updating habits from Brawl. I ended up coming out with a roster like this:

The halved characters I'm still torn on. Although I actually think there's plenty of possible variance. I used 6 boxes of 9 for my layout. This of course goes by the main leaks, which are iffy at best. Still it seems like a very plausible roster to me now.
I'd say Layton is more likely than having four FE reps. Other than that, good roster. 8.7/10

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
It means that Mewtwo is in the game. His likelihood is the same as Greninja's. Greninja was confirmed, as such, he is 100% likely. The same as Mewtwo. IMO is an abbreviation for "in my opinion."

Correct.
Well that's a funny way of looking at things. We don't know Mewtwo is in the game. Therefore, he can't possibly be considered as likely as a confirmed character. I believe that's what would be called fallacious reasoning.

Morbi

Scavenger
Well that's a funny way of looking at things. We don't know Mewtwo is in the game. Therefore, he can't possibly be considered as likely as a confirmed character. I believe that's what would be called fallacious reasoning.
Yes; it is fallacious, absent of objective fact, the mere assertion of opinion without logic. That being said, Mewtwo has more than enough going for him, as such, he is one of the most ideal candidates. His inclusion is all but confirmed, in the same vein as Captain Falcon... or Yoshi prior to Direct. Some things are just utterly overt.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Mewtwo has good chances, but I wouldn't overestimate them. If it comes down to Jigglypuff or Mewtwo (which, to be fair, I doubt), then the 64 vet will probably win out.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Overall, I like it. Both the design and most character choices are quite appealing. However, there are a few things I'd like to address. I support having 6 Pokemon characters while Mario and Zelda have 5, but I think 7 is pushing it a little bit. I don't think Sceptile is worth it, even though I'd like to see him playable. Moreover, I don't like 6 Zelda characters with Mario at 5, ESPECIALLY when the 6th is Ghirahim. I hate him as a choice, and always will. Snake being the only cut (not counting Pokemon Trainer) puts me in a bad mood, but it doesn't hurt the roster. Other choices that don't hurt the roster, but aren't very great, IMO, are Bandanna Dee and Dixie Kong. Finally, the roster size is at 55, which I think is a tad too many.
I have to agree with you on this. The 6th Zelda character should be Vaati. :awesome:

Morbi

Scavenger
Mewtwo has good chances, but I wouldn't overestimate them. If it comes down to Jigglypuff or Mewtwo (which, to be fair, I doubt), then the 64 vet will probably win out.
I would. And I clearly do...

I feel as though Mewtwo was one of the first characters finished; his priority isn't stagnant. He is reminiscent of a 64 veteran, planned for all incarnations of Smash. Why wouldn't he be planned for Smash 4? The answer? He was. Sakurai inadvertently indicated such. In that event, why would he omit Mewtwo once again? Only he knows, I suppose. The better answer (as in the answer that I believe to be absolute) is that he wouldn't.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Yes; it is fallacious, absent of objective fact, the mere assertion of opinion without logic. That being said, Mewtwo has more than enough going for him, as such, he is one of the most ideal candidates. His inclusion is all but confirmed, in the same vein as Captain Falcon... or Yoshi prior to Direct. Some things are just utterly overt.
I agree that Mewtwo is an ideal character choice. In fact, I would even go as far as saying that Mewtwo is the closest thing we have to a perfect character choice. But just being a good choice doesn't necessarily mean he's on the roster. Perhaps it's just because I don't have as much faith in Sakurai as you do, but I don't believe that Mewtwo is a shoo-in. No character is, but I've preached that so many times now.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Scatman's obsession with Vaati is almost as bad as Diddy's obsession with Impa. :troll:

But yeah, Vaati actually makes much more sense than Ghira and Impa combined.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
I would. And I clearly do...

I feel as though Mewtwo was one of the first characters finished; his priority isn't stagnant. He is reminiscent of a 64 veteran, planned for all incarnations of Smash. Why wouldn't he be planned for Smash 4? The answer? He was. Sakurai inadvertently indicated such. In that event, why would he omit Mewtwo once again? Only he knows, I suppose. The better answer (as in the answer that I believe to be absolute) is that he wouldn't.
I really want this to be the game where Bowser, Dedede, and Mewtwo are all on the same stage at the same time, as originally intended.

Morbi

Scavenger
I agree that Mewtwo is an ideal character choice. In fact, I would even go as far as saying that Mewtwo is the closest thing we have to a perfect character choice. But just being a good choice doesn't necessarily mean he's on the roster. Perhaps it's just because I don't have as much faith in Sakurai as you do, but I don't believe that Mewtwo is a shoo-in. No character is, but I've preached that so many times now.
Precisely; he is the closest notion of the perfect character. Does it necessarily mean he is on the roster? Objectively speaking, no, of course not. You comprehend this very well, clearly! However, practically speaking....

-Spoiler Alert-
He is on the roster

Lastly, I have no faith in Sakurai. But I do believe he is competent, at the very least.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
:glare: Do we have to keep mention that there was 6 playable pokemon in brawl not 4 so pokemon reps are not forced to have to same number of mario reps just because its the same number of pokemon with mario reps its not forced with 5 pokemon

But i really do think we are getting 6 reps not 5

Last edited:

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
This is why it called a "Wish Roster" not a "Roster Prediction". :p
I WILL BE AS JUDGMENTAL OF OTHER PEOPLE'S WISHES AS I CHOOSE!!! xD But seriously, I was mostly giving how I'd react if it turned out to be the actual roster (also known as an excuse for skipping over the word "wishlist").

Morbi

Scavenger
:glare: Do we have to keep mention that there was 6 playable pokemon in brawl not 4 so pokemon reps are not forced to have to same number of mario reps just because its the same number of pokemon with mario reps its not forced with 5 pokemon
He was merely asserting that Jigglypuff has a higher priority. Which I agree with to an extent; I would actually agree with that sentiment entirely if I wasn't completely confident that Mewtwo was finished months ago.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
He was merely asserting that Jigglypuff has a higher priority. Which I agree with to an extent; I would actually agree with that sentiment entirely if I wasn't completely confident that Mewtwo was finished months ago.
Ok that makes sense diden't think of it that way

But yea jigglypuff is almost a guaranteed lock (the almost part is rumored to be almost kicked in brawl) but jigglypuff is fine but yea mewtwo is mot entirely a lock but if 6 slot is there no other choice than mewtwo

Especially because mcdonalds is now promoting pokemon x and y and mewtwo is one of the happy meal toys

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Ok that makes sense diden't think of it that way

But yea jigglypuff is almost a guaranteed lock (the almost part is rumored to be almost kicked in brawl) but jigglypuff is fine but yea mewtwo is mot entirely a lock but if 6 slot is there no other choice than mewtwo

Especially because mcdonalds is now promoting pokemon x and y and mewtwo is one of the happy meal toys
When I look at the 4 Pokemon we have, I think we will get either one or two more in the order of Jigglypuff and Mewtwo. I'd like to see Sceptile, but I just think he'd be awkward to have over either of those two.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Precisely; he is the closest notion of the perfect character. Does it necessarily mean he is on the roster? Objectively speaking, no, of course not. You comprehend this very well, clearly! However, practically speaking....

-Spoiler Alert-
He is on the roster

Lastly, I have no faith in Sakurai. But I do believe he is competent, at the very least.
That's more than I can say. Of course, if you do believe Sakurai is competent enough to make that obvious choice, and that he's not being restricted by Game Freak or by something nonsensical like the number of slots per series on the roster, then I can see why you'd think Mewtwo is a shoo-in. I'm just not that optimistic, I suppose. I think that things can go wrong with this sort of thing, and not everything will go as they logically should.

Yet you criticize me when I bring up Ghirahim and Lucina :p
I don't think you mention them every time you post, though.

Last edited:

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
You know what? It's been a while since I posted an updated roster. This isn't a prediction, buy any helpful criticism is appreciated.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
To me it seems that Jigglypuff only stayed around so long due to luck. In the original Smash Bros. it's implied that it was the last character made/planned. Sakurai saw how easy it would be to make Jigglypuff just by taking Kirby's model and tweaking it. It would seem that it was a last minute addition to increase the roster. When Melee came out there was really no better Pokemon they could have added over Pikachu, Mewtwo and Jigglypuff. Sakurai DID try to add a 2nd gen Pokemon before Pichu, but none of the really popular ones were feasible (this included the Pokemon Trainer idea). If Sakurai did find a really popular 2nd gen Pokemon that was feasible Jigglypuff could very well have been left out in favor of them. With Brawl both Jigglypuff and Mewtwo were low priority, and it seems that the reason Jigglypuff was added over Mewtwo was simply due to them realizing that they didn't have enough time to finish Mewtwo, but they did have enough time to finish Jigglypuff along with two other easy to make characters. It all has to do with luck, and this time around I don't think it'll be as lucky due to Mewtwo becoming a hugely popular character/request, and that there are just more options this time around in general. I mean it was lucky enough to get into a roster of 30 something characters, but a roster of 40 something, with more competition? I don't know about that.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
You know what? It's been a while since I posted an updated roster. This isn't a prediction, buy any helpful criticism is appreciated.

I like the presence of Robin on this roster. Clearly you have good tastes.

Overall, this is a pretty solid roster. I think you might get some questions about the absence of Mewtwo, though. Especially since this apparently isn't a prediction roster. Other than that, thogh, I really like this roster.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

Solid roster, however you may want to add Mewtwo, especially given you have Snake already.

Also, I'd recommend making Robin female for the sake of diversity (and also because FeMU's voice options rock)

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
I like the presence of Robin on this roster. Clearly you have good tastes.

Overall, this is a pretty solid roster. I think you might get some questions about the absence of Mewtwo, though. Especially since this apparently isn't a prediction roster. Other than that, thogh, I really like this roster.
Solid roster, however you may want to add Mewtwo, especially given you have Snake already.
THANKS!! The Tactician is my most wanted Fire Emblem character and has been for a while. I left Mewtwo out because I don't want to just cram him in there when I already feel that the roster is nice and complete as it is (not to mention that having 3 Mega-Evolutions would get pretty stale).

I don't see why Mewtwo is being compared to Snake. Mind elaborating a bit on that?

Last edited:

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord

I actually like this roster a lot. I do however feel that's way too in line with what's considered popular on smashboards with Ridley, Robin, no cuts other than Ivysaur and Squirtle, and no Pac-Man or Miis. It may be too much of a Smashboards fanservice roster. I love the red background, it's a very unique take on a roster design. :)

Last edited:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
THANKS!! The Tactician is my most wanted Fire Emblem character and has been for a while. I left Mewtwo out because I don't want to just cram him in there when I already feel that the roster is nice and complete as it is (not to mention that having 3 Mega-Evolutions would get pretty stale).
If you don't want to cram him in there, why not just replace Jiggly with Mewtwo? Mewtwo's at the point of near shoo-in at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom