• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
THANKS!! The Tactician is my most wanted Fire Emblem character and has been for a while. I left Mewtwo out because I don't want to just cram him in there when I already feel that the roster is nice and complete as it is (not to mention that having 3 Mega-Evolutions would get pretty stale).

I don't see why Mewtwo is being compared to Snake. Mind elaborating a bit on that?
Your roster isn't nice and complete until it has Mewtwo.
Sure, they're three Mega Evolutions,but they don't function the same. Lucario's gives him maxed Aura Powers, Charizard's is likely a buff. Its not we haven't gotten similar FS's before.

And I'm comparing Snake to Mewtwo because I think Mewtwo has priority over him.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
I actually like this roster a lot. I do however feel that's way too in line with what's considered popular on smashboards with Ridley, Robin, no cuts other than Ivysaur and Squirtle, and no Pac-Man or Miis. It may be too much of a Smashboards fanservice roster. I love the red background, it's a very unique take on a roster design. :)
I don't want to sound rude, but I could care less about what's popular on Smashboards. I think I'll go over each thing you mentioned, though:

Ridley: Among my most wanted, and is the only option for a third Metroid rep, which I think is easily justified.

Robin: As I mentioned before, the Tactician is my most wanted Fire Emblem character, and that's because I think he'd bring the most to the table by having both sword and magical capabilities.

No cuts aside from the Pokes: I always didn't like the idea of cutting characters from Brawl because I could never think of strong enough reasons to cut particular characters. At least Ivysaur and Squirtle now have a clear reason. I know there doesn't need to be a GOOD reason to be cut from the game itself, but still, I'd want one before I decide to cut them from MY roster.

No Pac-Man or Miis: DESPISE THE MIIS AS A CHOICE! Making that clear RIGHT now! Pac-Man I'm indifferent about, and as my sig suggests, my 4th 3rd Party choice would be the Dragon Quest Hero.

Roster Design: THANKS!

If you don't want to cram him in there, why not just replace Jiggly with Mewtwo? Mewtwo's at the point of near shoo-in at the moment.
I thought about it, but it just doesn't sit well with me. Again, I also don't like cutting characters. Mewtwo also doesn't scream "shoe-in" to me.

Your roster isn't nice and complete until it has Mewtwo.
Sure, they're three Mega Evolutions,but they don't function the same. Lucario's gives him maxed Aura Powers, Charizard's is likely a buff. Its not we haven't gotten similar FS's before.

And I'm comparing Snake to Mewtwo because I think Mewtwo has priority over him.
Ultimately, this comes down to personal opinion. I really don't consider the lack of Mewtwo to drag down the roster. That just sounds unappreciative of what WAS included, to me, sorry. Mewtwo outprioritizing Snake is justifiable, but I don't think he's quite there, personally.

Last edited:

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
I don't want to sound rude, but I could care less about what's popular on Smashboards. I think I'll go over each thing you mentioned, though:

Ridley: Among my most wanted, and is the only option for a third Metroid rep, which I think is easily justified.

Robin: As I mentioned before, the Tactician is my most wanted Fire Emblem character, and that's because I think he'd bring the most to the table by having both sword and magical capabilities.

No cuts aside from the Pokes: I always didn't like the idea of cutting characters from Brawl because I could never think of strong enough reasons to cut particular characters. At least Ivysaur and Squirtle now have a clear reason. I know there doesn't need to be a GOOD reason to be cut from the game itself, but still, I'd want one before I decide to cut them from MY roster.

No Pac-Man or Miis: DESPISE THE MIIS AS A CHOICE! Making that clear RIGHT now! Pac-Man I'm indifferent about, and as my sig suggests, my 4th 3rd Party choice would be the Dragon Quest Hero.

Roster Design: THANKS!
Those are all very good points and I apologize for making such a harsh reply. I actually feel that Robin has a good chance of making it in. I also admit that I didn't notice your point that it wasn't entirely a prediction roster, I probably should have read your post more carefully before quoting it. Sorry

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Those are all very good points and I apologize for making such a harsh reply. I actually feel that Robin has a good chance of making it in. I also admit that I didn't notice your point that it wasn't entirely a prediction roster, I probably should have read your post more carefully before quoting it. Sorry
Haha, don't worry about it! At least it gave to a chance to attack those blasted Miis xD

D

Deleted member

I'd say Layton is more likely than having four FE reps. Other than that, good roster. 8.7/10
I can see four Fire Emblem characters, even though it's unlikely, I definitely don't see any other third-parties not named Pac-Man or Snake at this point.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I can see four Fire Emblem characters, even though it's unlikely, I definitely don't see any other third-parties not named Pac-Man or Snake at this point.
I think Fire Emblem Awakening's success and the series's longetivity does warrant four characters, as well. My original roster had Chrom and Lucina as newcomers, but I think cutting one of them for Roy is more accurate, as I can't see them having four FE characters and no Roy.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think Fire Emblem Awakening's success and the series's longetivity does warrant four characters, as well. My original roster had Chrom and Lucina as newcomers, but I think cutting one of them for Roy is more accurate, as I can't see them having four FE characters and no Roy.
I'll concede with that. I'm confident that Ike will be planned to return and I'm almost as confident that Sakurai will try to bring back Roy as well; regardless of whenever or not we see them. Their main issue at this point is time constraints. I believe that Sakurai is trying to go for an ideal four character situation here with Fire Emblem; Marth as the iconic Fire Emblem character, Roy for Melee returnee, Ike as the most important lord after Marth and Chrom for Awakening. It would appeal to 95% of all Fire Emblem/Smash fans.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I'll concede with that. I'm confident that Ike will be planned to return and I'm almost as confident that Sakurai will try to bring back Roy as well; regardless of whenever or not we see them. Their main issue at this point is time constraints. I believe that Sakurai is trying to go for an ideal four character situation here with Fire Emblem; Marth as the iconic Fire Emblem character, Roy for Melee returnee, Ike as the most important lord after Marth and Chrom for Awakening. It would appeal to 95% of all Fire Emblem/Smash fans.
Sigh, Chrom...will never seem like a good choice to me.
Sure, he's popular and the main character, but that is it.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
the way he trolled us on making greninja look like mewtwo..... is hinting us that mewtwo will be back, he even realises the fans demand for mewtwo. SAKURAI WON"T LET US DOWN. MEWTWO IS CONFIRMED BY ME lol

His saving the best pokemon rep for last!
Well if we takes everything he does as a hint i guess Ridley & K.Rool are in too.

What could be considerrd a hint varies from person to person...........

D

Deleted member

Final Smash Gamer said:
And here're finally my roster updates following the last Direct :

First, my Ideal roster including 50 characters :

[collapse="Ideal roster as for April 25th 2014"]
[/collapse]

Then, a more Realistic roster : The same but with 5 cuts in order to make it with 45 characters, a multiple of 9, like how many characters are delegated in the bottom of each character page. Cuts explanations can be found bellow:

[collapse="Realistic roster as for April 25th 2014"]

As for cuts from my Ideal roster :
- Lucas, because Ness could be enough to represent the Mother series, and still share several moves with him.
- Takamaru, because Sakurai could consider Little Mac as a Retro face, and that 1 retro like Mac could be enough to his eyes.
- Wolf, because the "cloniest" of the Star Fox trio for many players, and last minute addition in Brawl which could hurt his status.
- Ike, because Sakurai could replace him with an Awakening character (therefore Robin) in order to make place for the newest generation.
- R.O.B., because it didn't make any other cameo since its appearance in Brawl, and WFT could replace it for a new "home console hardware representative".
[/collapse]

And finally, my updated Other Potential Contenders roster, with characters who have the potential to be playable, but are not selected for various reasons, and could still be DLC/AT materials :

[collapse="Other Potential Contenders roster as for April 25th 2014"]
[/collapse]

To finish, I think Yoshi could serve as a 6th Mario rep, as the Yoshi games are still strongly bound with Mario which share the same characters, enemies, etc., unlike DK and Wario.

Also yeah, Robin instead of Chrom who became a DLC/AT. Come at me.
I've modified my Other Potential Contenders roster :

In which I've added the 2 remaining Trainer's Pokémon, and also Lucina and Anna.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Well if we takes everything he does as a hint i guess Ridley & K.Rool are in too.

What could be considerrd a hint varies from person to person...........
Ok, I don't like jumping the gun, but his toying with Ridley is oh so very obvious. It would be bad for hype generation if he was just shown as a boss. He isn't confirmed, but I'm more confident now than ever. I wonder where that hint for K. Rool is, though. Don't think I ever noticed anything about him.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Super Smash Bros. Fan said:
I believe that Sakurai is trying to go for an ideal four character situation here with Fire Emblem; Marth as the iconic Fire Emblem character, Roy for Melee returnee, Ike as the most important lord after Marth and Chrom for Awakening. It would appeal to 95% of all Fire Emblem/Smash fans.
That would hardly excite fans of both Fire Emblem and Super Smash Bros.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I've modified my Other Potential Contenders roster :

In which I've added the 2 remaining Trainer's Pokémon, and also Lucina and Anna.
Which reminds me: I find it strange that Shin Onigashima is already in Japan's Wii VC, yet Nazo no Murasame-Jo is nowhere to be found after two years of the Wii U's launch.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
Ok, I don't like jumping the gun, but his toying with Ridley is oh so very obvious. It would be bad for hype generation if he was just shown as a boss. He isn't confirmed, but I'm more confident now than ever. I wonder where that hint for K. Rool is, though. Don't think I ever noticed anything about him.
I think he's talking about the crocodrile guys that where showed in the Nintendo Direct, well... you know that they are King K. Rool underlines, but IMO one way or another they are still Donkey Kongs characters so we don't need King K. Rool to have them in the game as mobs

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
*skims to 40 pages of discussion*

I don't think he's trying to aim hardcore on the FE fanbase.
We will probably get less than 4 to fit in other franchise veterans and newcomers.

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
Since nana nor the pikmin can act independently, they are technically overglorified items. They had their own programming. But the key factor is independence
I do not know a ton about the games code, so perhaps I am wrong in thinking this, but in terms of actual programming I do not think it's fair to argue this. Both need to have their own AI, and having to render them is also a strain on the engine. With the pikmin, they are very simple looking and low-poly (go look at Brawl if you want to see what I mean) and all they need to do is follow Olimar around, which isn't too hard. Nana is an entire second character model and her AI is quite a bit more complex, having to know when to simply mimic your movements and when (and how) to follow you, especially given that she attacks while doing so. Even setting aside her AI, the act of rendering her is expensive. Pop & Nana don't have insanely complex models either, but both Chrom and Lucina have a lot of finicky details, making them even harder to pair together. Based on the fact that Olimar lost some Pikmin already and Rosalina's Luma is fairly simple as well, I suspect they were having a bit of trouble including characters with companions; if you knew this characters were going to be trouble off of the start, would you want to add a ton of them, especially an expensive pair like Chrom and Lucina? I would imagine it would be more likely to simply pick one and include them on their own. or even put in both or neither if they can't exist alone.

D

Deleted member

Sigh, Chrom...will never seem like a good choice to me.
Sure, he's popular and the main character, but that is it.
At this point, let's just hope Chrom turns out unique. If nothing else, it'd be nice for Sakurai to prove me wrong about my suspicion in regards to him potentially adding Chrom into the game.
No, Sakurai really is hinting that Ridley is going to be a boss. It's pretty obvious the context is.

There's no specific hint towards King K. Rool being playable at this moment. There is, however, Kremlings appearing in Smash Run, which is a good sign that he may get a bigger role than Brawl, though whenever or not that is playable remains to be seen.
That would hardly excite fans of both Fire Emblem and Super Smash Bros.
It's realistically the best we can hope for at this point. These are the only one that I could see Sakurai picking to be on the roster at the moment (especially if the Gematsu leak turns out to be true). Marth, Ike and Chrom can all be given unique move sets whereas Roy comes back considerably delugified as a fan favorite.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Pokemon had six characters in Brawl, development wise, not slot wise.
Unless Sakurai downgrades the Pokemon series, 6 characters makes a lot of sense.
That's only because the Pokemon Trainer was a transformer. Now that we don't have transformers in Smash anymore, it doesn't make sense to me.

D

Deleted member

I don't think he's trying to aim hardcore on the FE fanbase.
We will probably get less than 4 to fit in other franchise veterans and newcomers.
Sakurai doesn't care about character representation nearly as much as people think.
That's only because the Pokemon Trainer was a transformer. Now that we don't have transformers in Smash anymore, it doesn't make sense to me.
And how does this hurts Mewtwo's chances of getting in? Wouldn't that mean more space for Mewtwo?

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
I do not think mewtwo is returning. Stylistically, I don't think he differs enough from lucario for sakurai to make him a priority.
Plus, squirtle and ivysaur have not been deconfirmed. With the addition of jigglypuff, pokemon is at 7 characters. I doubt they would hit 8.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Pokemon Trainer takes as much time, if not more, than 3 separate characters.
Sakurai counts Charizard, Ivysaur, and Squirtle as separate characters.
And let me remind you that Mewtwo was almost finished for Brawl but was cut out last second.
In this case Pokemon would have had more SLOTS than Mario and nobody would be complaining.

And you guys want to hear something funny?
LUCAS shares about as many moves with Mewtwo as Lucario does.
Which is like, one or two.

Last edited:

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Pokemon Trainer takes as much time, if not more, than 3 separate characters.
Sakurai counts Charizard, Ivysaur, and Squirtle as separate characters.
And let me remind you that Mewtwo was almost finished for Brawl but was cut out last second.
In this case Pokemon would have had more SLOTS than Mario and nobody would be complaining.

And you guys want to hear something funny?
LUCAS shares about as many moves with Mewtwo as Lucario does.
Which is like, one or two.
Almost finished? I know he was next in line, but I'm not sure he was close to being finished.

Any good producer wouldn't let that happen. That would be A LOT of wasted development time.

D

Deleted member

I do not think mewtwo is returning. Stylistically, I don't think he differs enough from lucario for sakurai to make him a priority.
Seriously? Mewtwo, Lucario and Gekkouga have barely any similarities together.
Plus, squirtle and ivysaur have not been deconfirmed. With the addition of jigglypuff, pokemon is at 7 characters. I doubt they would hit 8.
That's true (in regards to squirtle and ivysaur not being disconfirmed), but not showing up along with Charizard is a good sign that they won't be returning.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
That part is true, he was scrapped when Sakurai finally got SEGA's permission to add Sonic.
Yes, exactly.
So Mewtwo was very close to being in Brawl.
Which would give Pokemon 5 slots and a whopping 7 characters.
GIven this, I don't see why Pokemon can't have 6, the same amount as Brawl.

And I guess everyone considers Jigglypuff a given?

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Mewtwo, Lucario and Greninja only share 1 move. 1! Even then they function completely differently.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Yes, exactly.
So Mewtwo was very close to being in Brawl.
Which would give Pokemon 5 slots and a whopping 7 characters.
GIven this, I don't see why Pokemon can't have 6, the same amount as Brawl.

And I guess everyone considers Jigglypuff a given?
Well we could get Mewtwo and Jigglypuff, but it's just my personal opinion that more Pokemon slots than Mario just sounds weird unless you count DK, Yoshi, and WarioWare franchises as part of Mario's sphere of influence.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
There is no way that sakurai would just pick greninja over mewtwo and call it a day. He clearly realises the demand.

Adding Greninja instead of Mewtwo is a spit to all of the Mewtwo fans out there. Mewtwo fans (many). lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom