• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
There is no way that sakurai would just pick greninja over mewtwo and call it a day. He clearly realises the demand.

Adding Greninja instead of Mewtwo is a spit to all of the Mewtwo fans out there. Mewtwo fans (many). lol
Not necessarily, I wouldn't be heartbroken at all if he doesn't return. I've got some hopes that sound unlikely, such as Krystal, Duck Hunt Dog, or Tails, and I fear that Mewtwo can be ignored just as easily.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Mewtwo, Lucario and Greninja only share 1 move. 1! Even then they function completely differently.
Functionally=/= stylistically.
I swear people only hear what they think would be easier to argue against.

In the span of all pokemon, lucario and mewtwo occupy a very similar style. Cool, Floaty, Bi-pedal, deep voiced, purple psychic attacking, with huge beefy legs. With that overlap, it is going to be far less appealing for sakurai to add somebody like mewtwo.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Actually, Greninja and Lucario share a counter move.
Except Lucario's counter (in Brawl) wasn't very reliable.
Functionally=/= stylistically.
I swear people only hear what they think would be easier to argue against.

In the span of all pokemon, lucario and mewtwo occupy a very similar style. Cool, Floaty, Bi-pedal, deep voiced, purple psychic attacking, with huge beefy legs. With that overlap, it is going to be far less appealing for sakurai to add somebody like mewtwo.
It's far less appealing to add a character that so many people want? wut?

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
It's far less appealing to add a character that so many people want? wut?
Bandwagon?
You're saying something is appealing simply because other people find it appealing. Doesn't work like that.

Not to mention Sakurai clearly hasn't been picking characters off of our top 10 list.

Last edited:

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Bandwagon?
You're saying something is appealing simply because other people find it appealing. Doesn't work like that.

Not to mention Sakurai clearly hasn't been picking character off of our top 10 list.
:4megaman::4littlemac:
What are these two then, chopped liver?

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Bandwagon?

Not to mention Sakurai clearly hasn't been picking character off of our top 10 list.
We got 5 Chars majority of people wanted its not bad 5/12 sure its no brawl but

Megaman
Little Mac
Palutena
Chrom
Shulk

And if Mewtwo returns although not a newcomer but will be praised like one so that 6

6/12 half, half is not bad

But people will still complain.
All in All we got a good ammount of Wanted/Safe bet characters in comparison to how many newcomers they will be in total for this game alone.

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Actually, Greninja also has a counter move, a chargeable B move, a teleporting move (that works like Meta Knight's dimensional cape), and Pikachu's UpB. Basically all recycled B moves from other characters. (Yes, they're slightly different.)
People don't notice because he's a blue ninja frog. If he was a blue-haired swordsman, though....

By the way, I'm not hating on Greninja, he's my favorite newcomer so far. Just showing how people are biased based on looks.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Good choices by sakurai. Not using our favorite doesn't mean hes avoiding them because they are our favorites. They're all still fair game and we're bound to get some things right.
Megaman was by far the most wanted 3rd Party character during Brawl's time and even after the game came out, Megaman was still among one of, if not the most wanted character for Smash 4. Minus 3rd Party, the same thing can be applied to Little Mac.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
No, Sakurai really is hinting that Ridley is going to be a boss. It's pretty obvious the context is.
I disagree entirely. I think that if Ridley was going to be a boss, he'd have been revealed as one already. Think about it. What good would all these hints have done if they meant exactly what they implied? That'd be stupid. Revealing him as a boss now would only piss people off. That's why I'm very confident in him being playable.

I'd suggest cutting Robin and Snake for Chrom and PacMan respectively, then add in Shulk, because you don't have enough characters
@ G0LD3N L0TUS G0LD3N L0TUS
And Mewtwo.
50 characters, perfect.
I'll just go over every suggestion here quickly:

Cut Robin for Chrom: I think Chrom is more likely, but because this isn't a prediction, I went with the option that, while still reasonable, would be the most interesting to play as, IMO.

Cut Snake for Pac-Man: The way I see it, Snake is already a well received 3rd Party character. Without a good reason to cut him, and especially cut him for another 3rd Party that I don't consider nearly as interesting, he won't move. Again, this isn't a prediction.

Add Shulk: Personally, I don't think any more misc. are necessary. We already have three more, and those three, in my opinion, were the only ones that stood up to the likes of Star Fox and Pikmin. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE Xenoblade, and LOVE Shulk. I just don't think any of the remaining misc. series would be able to stand up to what we have.

Add Mewtwo: Already went over him earlier, so here's the short version. I don't want to cut Jigglypuff for him, and I don't want to just cram him into a roster that I already consider nice and complete. After all, he isn't a necessity.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
And you guys want to hear something funny?
LUCAS shares about as many moves with Mewtwo as Lucario does.
Which is like, one or two.
To be fair, Lucas does technically share PSI Magnet, PK Fire, PK Thunder and the Bat with Ness. Having said that, almost all of them work differently then their precursor, so Lucas isn't nearly that much of a clone even with that in mind.

All of which are superficial similarities that matter little for the playstyle of the respective characters.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Megaman was by far the most wanted 3rd Party character during Brawl's time and even after the game came out, Megaman was still among one of, if not the most wanted character for Smash 4. Minus 3rd Party, the same thing can be applied to Little Mac.
Would it be too much to ask if you would provide a source for MegaMan being the most wanted 3rd party character for Brawl?

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
If a popular character gets in, popularity MUST be the reason right?
Sakurai and the people at Namco have opinions too. Opinions that can overlap our own. If they like the character and can rationalize it from a design perspective, then the character is good.

Keep in mind, that opinion is only the first step to a character getting in the game. All it means is that they are CONSIDERED. Reason gets characters in the game. They have to think what the character adds to the game and if it's worth it.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
To be fair, Lucas does technically share PSI Magnet, PK Fire, PK Thunder and the Bat with Ness. Having said that, almost all of them work differently then their precursor, so Lucas isn't nearly that much of a clone even with that in mind.
Not to mention how those moves work differently from Ness. The only actual copy and paste is the Side Smash. That said, I could care less what the moves are called, or how they appear, as long as they work differently. Namco's working on this, so I'm sure they'd take care of that.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
Not necessarily, I wouldn't be heartbroken at all if he doesn't return. I've got some hopes that sound unlikely, such as Krystal, Duck Hunt Dog, or Tails, and I fear that Mewtwo can be ignored just as easily.
lol no offense, but your comparing krystal/Duck hunt dog/TAILS? with Mewtwo? A Nintendo pokemon game. Mewtwo is by far away from those 3 in demand.

1. Krystal - there has been no starfox games, and the latest is craap.

2. Duck hunt dog - who?

3. Tails - Come on, his sega you possibly think Sakurai would add another sega char. Really?

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
lol no offense, but your comparing krystal/Duck hunt dog/TAILS? with Mewtwo? A Nintendo pokemon game. Mewtwo is by far away from those 3 in demand.

2. Duck hunt dog - who?

3. Tails - Come on, his sega you possibly think Sakurai would another sega char. Really?
Don't get me started.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Sakurai and the people at Namco have opinions too. Opinions that can overlap our own. If they like the character and can rationalize it from a design perspective, then the character is good.

Keep in mind, that opinion is only the first step to a character getting in the game. All it means is that they are CONSIDERED. Reason gets characters in the game. They have to think what the character adds to the game and if it's worth it.
Totally agree. It's not as simple as "popular characters" and done. There's more thought put into it when deciding characters as most speculators say.

Last edited:

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805

And they did so with Little Mac, as stated in the Direct, Sakurai had a tough time making a diverse moveset for him but still ended up being a fresh character.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Add Shulk: Personally, I don't think any more misc. are necessary. We already have three more, and those three, in my opinion, were the only ones that stood up to the likes of Star Fox and Pikmin. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE Xenoblade, and LOVE Shulk. I just don't think any of the remaining misc. series would be able to stand up to what we have.
I know it's just your opinion, but I'd like to give my opinion as well. Xenoblade is a great game and very popular in Japan. Shulk is highly demanded. And another big reason is X coming out on the Wii U. So we're talking about a franchise that is actually getting a game in the near future, unlike Mother, F-Zero, Golden Sun or Starfox. In my opinion, Shulk makes plenty of sense to include.
I'm not saying you're "wrong", just that in my opinion Xenoblade/X will be more than just another misc. franchise. At least in the future.

Shalashaska

Banned via Warnings

2. Duck hunt dog - who?

3. Tails - Come on, his sega you possibly think Sakurai would add another sega char. Really?
I do sort of agree with you, but damn, that was pretty hostile.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
On topic, huh? Well...

Which would you prefer(llikliness be damned): Birdo or Wart?

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I must admit as far as Mewtwo and Pac-Man are concerned since both of them have been brought up recently, I kind of have the same feeling about both of them. Neither of them I find particularly interesting and it's not so much disliking them as simply not caring about them in general.

Mewtwo is kind of one of those character that I've never quite understood his overall popularity. Even as many times as I replayed the original games, other then being the most powerful in the original games I've never understood his overall appeal. His appearance in Melee was interesting and seems to feed a lot of this need for him to come back. I wouldn't be bothered if he did come back but its definitely not something that hurts my feelings on the matter if he didn't.

As far as Pacman, other then being the mascot of Namco himself, I just don't find him interesting as a character, especially given that Namco has a much larger spread of more interesting characters from the other various series they've created in the past. To each his own in that regards.

Last edited:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
I must admit as far as Mewtwo and Pac-Man are concerned since both of them have been brought up recently, I kind of have the same feeling about both of them. Neither of them I find particularly interesting and it's not so much disliking them as simply not caring about them in general.

Mewtwo is kind of one of those character that I've never quite understood his overall popularity. Even as many times as I replayed the original games, other then being the most powerful in the original games I've never understood his overall appeal. His appearance in Melee was interesting and seems to feed a lot of this need for him to come back. I wouldn't be bothered if he did come back but its definitely not something that hurts my feelings on the matter if he didn't.

As far as Pacman, other then being the mascot of Namco himself, I just don't find him interesting as a character, especially given that Namco has a much larger spread of more interesting characters from the other various series they've created in the past. To each his own in that regards.
Well, here are some reasons:

For Mewtwo, he represents the only sensible baddie from the Pokemon series, and you know how people like their villains. It's also that he's remained important and relevant throughout the years, something that fellow Smash rep Jigglypuff can't atest to. There's also the fact that he's been planned for every Smash game, but has only made it in one. And that a psychic-based moveset certainly seems interesting.

Pac-Man? I don't think he was made to appeal to you, he was actually made to appeal to women. But the pellet-muncher has found his way into he hearts and minds of many

I'll complete this later.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

For Pac-Man, I think it's more about taking the opportunity to having the biggest icons gaming together than moveset potential.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
For Pac-Man, I think it's more about taking the opportunity to having the biggest icons gaming together than moveset potential.
I just think its sakurai's choice. lol

Were not even sure on how he picks his character "precisely"

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Was Villager or an Animal Crossing rep not among the top 10 most wanted? I saw requests for one everywhere Post-Brawl.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Was Villager or an Animal Crossing rep not among the top 10 most wanted? I saw requests for one everywhere Post-Brawl.
I think it was more of those things that people expected during Brawls development that didn't happen at the time. I always just kind of figured the possibility of an AC character was inevitable at one point or another.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well, people wanted them, but after Sakurai's comment about them not being violent enough, people just gave up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom