• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morbi

Scavenger
To my eyes it seemed like Ganon was just a slower and more power than captain falcon. Referring to "B moves".

Compared to luigi, he has a different side b and down b not even close to mario. That's what I call "B moves being different" lol.

So hopefully ganon ends up having a very distinct look an gameplay wise "B moves" than Cpt. falcon.

But on the other hand, I hate to admit it, I agree with you. "as a whole" he was really different from captain falcon. U can't even play him the same way as falcon.

Unlike falco and fox >.>
As a main of both characters; I guarantee you, he wasn't just a slower and more powerful Captain Falcon. "B moves" are called specials, just so you know, it is probably easier typing out "specials" rather than "B moves." Precisely, if you can't play Ganondorf as you would Falcon, they are not clones. Again, this was found on the Smash Wiki.

• A completely different Final Smash and some different standard attacks (Neutral, Up-Tilt, Down-Tilt, Forward-Tilt, Up Smash and F-Air), but some normal moves are still similar. And most notably, they both share 3 special moves, with the main cosmetic difference being that Captain Falcon has fire effects in his specials, while Ganondorf's specials feature darkness or electricity. Raptor Boost and Flame Choke are initially similar, but the difference is that Raptor Boost launches the opponents, while Flame Choke grabs them, slamming them straight down.
The other similar moves do not even function similarly as the physics, weight, power, and knock-back all vary significantly. His play-style is entirely different. At first glance, you can certainly tell that they have similar moves, but it isn't necessarily about the moves, it is about the play-style. The moves are used quite differently.

Now, Warlock Punch could probably be altered without complaints from most Ganon mains, maybe his recovery move as well, but other than that, he doesn't really need any drastic changes. He is already quite different. That being said, I expect minimal changes, after Smash 4, Ganon will not be similar to Falcon.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
here's a list of characters I have compiled using the Google method:

Ridley
Mewtwo
KingK.Rool
Dixie
Palutena
Shulk
Robin
Mii
Tetra
Black Shadow
Baby Mario (note: nothing showed up when I put Dr Mario, so this isn't just mario)
Toad
Ray
Pichu
Snake

So if we add this to the existing newcomers, we should have 19 newcomers if there's no time restraints. It's possible that these are all planned but it's likely they won't finish all of them.

EDIT: Also, neither Squirtle nor Ivysaur came up with any results.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger

Ridley
Mewtwo
KingK.Rool
Dixie
Palutena
Chrom
Robin
Mii
Tetra
Black Shadow
Baby Mario (note: nothing showed up when I put Dr Mario, so this isn't just mario)
Toad
Ray
Pichu
Snake

So if we add this to the existing newcomers, we should have 19 newcomers if there's no time restraints. It's possible that these are all planned but it's likely they won't finish all of them.
Now I am going to fallaciously believe that this actually means something relevant... just because Black Shadow is on that list. Just because.

Watch him be an assist trophy; I am going to whine like a little ***** if and when that happens. I mean, you could always, as usual, impute Ganon's move-set to Black Shadow. Give Smash one of Nintendo's greatest "newcomers," Ganondorf.

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019

Ridley
Mewtwo
KingK.Rool
Dixie
Palutena
Chrom
Robin
Mii
Tetra
Black Shadow
Toad
Ray
Pichu
Snake

Does this... Mean anything? (I'm geussin no)

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

Ridley
Mewtwo
KingK.Rool
Dixie
Palutena
Chrom
Robin
Mii
Tetra
Black Shadow
Toad
Ray
Pichu
Snake

I thought Alfonzo showed up with that method as well?

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
As a main of both characters; I guarantee you, he wasn't just a slower and more powerful Captain Falcon. "B moves" are called specials, just so you know, it is probably easier typing out "specials" rather than "B moves." Precisely, if you can't play Ganondorf as you would Falcon, they are not clones. Again, this was found on the Smash Wiki.

• A completely different Final Smash and some different standard attacks (Neutral, Up-Tilt, Down-Tilt, Forward-Tilt, Up Smash and F-Air), but some normal moves are still similar. And most notably, they both share 3 special moves, with the main cosmetic difference being that Captain Falcon has fire effects in his specials, while Ganondorf's specials feature darkness or electricity. Raptor Boost and Flame Choke are initially similar, but the difference is that Raptor Boost launches the opponents, while Flame Choke grabs them, slamming them straight down.
The other similar moves do not even function similarly as the physics, weight, power, and knock-back all vary significantly. His play-style is entirely different. At first glance, you can certainly tell that they have similar moves, but it isn't necessarily about the moves, it is about the play-style. The moves are used quite differently.

Now, Warlock Punch could probably be altered without complaints from most Ganon mains, maybe his recovery move as well, but other than that, he doesn't really need any drastic changes. He is already quite different. That being said, I expect minimal changes, after Smash 4, Ganon will not be similar to Falcon.
Ye I got that when u first posted it lol, thats why the last paragraph i mentioned that i agree with you cuz "as a whole" they are different char and cant be played the sameway.

They just appear to look quite similar specials when it's preformed. Just in different color. But not play style and gameplay wise.

I'm pretty sure that if I play captain falcon, I will suck at playing Ganon.

Unlike fox and falco >.>

GOT THE MESSAGE MORBID. Ty for your concern about my knowledge in game. :)

Last edited:

Hot Uncle Sparky

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4356-0645-2703

Ridley
Mewtwo
KingK.Rool
Dixie
Palutena
Chrom
Robin
Mii
Tetra
Black Shadow
Toad
Ray
Pichu
Snake

Now I am going to fallaciously believe that this actually means something relevant... just because Black Shadow is on that list. Just because.

Watch him be an assist trophy; I am going to whine like a little ***** if and when that happens. I mean, you could always, as usual, impute Ganon's move-set to Black Shadow. Give Smash one of Nintendo's greatest "newcomers," Ganondorf.
Take all that with a truck of salt, people also have gotten results from searching Batman and Goku.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Why? You have to always include worthless vertical recoveries for an up-special, charge attacks for the neutral special, counters for the down-special? You have some leeway with that side-special though, make good use of it.
Well, here's what I've got so far, I don't have a neutral special though.

Side B: Skill Strike: A vertical slash that can have one of five different effects. Each one is derived from a Skill in Awakening (more specifically, some of those learned by Lucina's potential mothers).

Luna - breaks shields (common)
Sol - recovers some health (uncommon)
Ignis - does double damage with fire effect (rare)
Galeforce - hits twice (rare)
Lethality - extreme knockback (very rare)

Up B: Blazing Butterfly: Lucina's sword is guided skyward by a glowing butterfly. Functions like Link's Spin Attack and Marth's Dolphin Slash.

Down B: Great Shield: A large shield that deflects projectiles and enemies. A combination of Mario's Cape and Pit's Mirror Shield.

Final Smash: Awakening: Lucina's Parallel Falchion becomes the Exalted Falchion and she delivers a series of devastating slashes at one opponent before returning to normal.

The idea behind "Skill Strike" is that since Awakening puts such a huge emphasis on inheritance that it seems logically that would be one of her gimmicks.

But see? These aren't unique at all.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger

Side B: Skill Strike: A vertical slash that can have one of five different effects. Each one is derived from a Skill in Awakening (more specifically, some of those learned by Lucina's potential mothers).

Up B: Blazing Butterfly: Lucina's sword is guided skyward by a glowing butterfly. Functions like Link's Spin Attack and Marth's Dolphin Slash.

Down B: Great Shield: A large shield that deflects projectiles and enemies. A combination of Mario's Cape and Pit's Mirror Shield.

Final Smash: Awakening: Lucina's Parallel Falchion becomes the Exalted Falchion and she delivers a series of devastating slashes at one opponent before returning to normal.

The idea behind "Skill Strike" is that since Awakening puts such a huge emphasis on inheritance that it seems logically that would be one of her gimmicks.

The side special is very unique in my opinion; I would believe it to be one of the most unique specials in the game.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
The side special is very unique in my opinion; I would believe it to be one of the most unique specials in the game.
As long as te side special is not random for the effects and its in order then it's fine for me.

Besides that, It's an awesome and creative side special. Nice! Kenith.

Example: Olimar pikmins in brawl.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
As long as te side special is not random for the effects and its in order then it's fine for me.

Besides that, It's an awesome and creative side special. Nice! Kenith.

Example: Olimar pikmins in brawl.
It's random because it's based on Skill activation in Fire Emblem Awakening, which is random.

Though Galeforce is the odd one out as it isn't a randomized Skill, but whatever.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
It's random because it's based on Skill activation in Fire Emblem Awakening, which is random.

Though Galeforce is the odd one out as it isn't a randomized Skill, but whatever.
Like I never played fire emblem awakening. It seems to be a great game. Soooooo..... that comment u posted, I don't understand a thing u just said. Apologies in advance/early? lol

Glyphoscythe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Glyphoscythe
3DS FC
0834-0985-0680

Noice. Couple thoughts for ya though. Maybe change the name of the down b to Aegis Shield, since in game, that's the skill that halves damage from magic and arrows. That's if I'm remembering right though. Either way, just a minor detail. Also, is the up b based on her fight scene with Chrom at Arena Ferox? I ask because she does a crazy spinning leap forward and I always thought that would be a cool up b. Sorta like a screw attack while holding a sword haha.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Noice. Couple thoughts for ya though. Maybe change the name of the down b to Aegis Shield, since in game, that's the skill that halves damage from magic and arrows. That's if I'm remembering right though. Either way, just a minor detail. Also, is the up b based on her fight scene with Chrom at Arena Ferox? I ask because she does a crazy spinning leap forward and I always thought that would be a cool up b. Sorta like a screw attack while holding a sword haha.
I actually had a similar idea when thinking of movesets for Chrom.
The up B starts with a short hop upward while starting the spin up, and you'll spin in the air for a bit until you hit a direction to move. It seemed to work only diagonally in the game, but it could break that rule for recovery purposes.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Her up B is based on the butterfly motive seen in Awakening for some reason and is a horizontal spin, not vertical. The spinning attack from that scene (she actually uses it a lot) is her neutral air attack, and the downward strike from that scene is her dair.

Glyphoscythe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Glyphoscythe
3DS FC
0834-0985-0680
I actually had a similar idea when thinking of movesets for Chrom.
The up B starts with a short hop upward while starting the spin up, and you'll spin in the air for a bit until you hit a direction to move. It seemed to work only diagonally in the game, but it could break that rule for recovery purposes.
There's some pretty insane leaping and jumping that goes on in Awakening, so that sounds reasonable. I like the idea of being able to alter the direction, because FE characters need better recovery options.

@ Kenith Kenith Ah, gotcha. That sounds good to me. I was wondering where that spinny stuff might be incorporated.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I don't think that the Namco Assist Trophies/items confirm or help Pacman's inclusion. In fact, I think they hurt them.
I also feel the same way; Sakurai is offering mitigation, in my opinion. Pac-Man might even be one of the assist trophies, it seems logical enough. It isn't as though he has a myriad of abilities, he is prominent based on what thing... eating pellets!

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I don't think that the Namco Assist Trophies/items confirm or help Pacman's inclusion. In fact, I think they hurt them.
So let me get this straight.
More Namco influence and Pac-Man not being shown off as an assist hurts the Pac.
Yet Ridley is still fair game after his shadow being seen and being teased as a boss?
Bias at its absolute finest.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I've never heard this before. Can you elaborate on this? Personally, I think they all but confirm Pac-man.
Well, Morbid somewhat explained some of my thoughts, but another thing I've noticed.

Why is Namco getting Assist Trophies unrelated to the character it's including? Why isn't Capcom getting non-Mega Man representation in some what?

I agree with Morbid - the ATs are how Bandai is repayed for helping out with development. Especially considering the are arcade styled, and Pacman is mostly known for his arcade outings, even it he is indeed playable I would be surprised for them to not include a retro Pacman AT.

Hot Uncle Sparky

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4356-0645-2703
As much as I'd like to think Pac Man will just be an assist, I just know Namco will push and push for him since he hasn't been all that lately and they'd like him to be back on the stage. His modern games make him known for more than just eating pellets, so a moveset wouldn't be impossible.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
So let me get this straight.
More Namco influence and Pac-Man not being shown off as an assist hurts the Pac.
Yet Ridley is still fair game after his shadow being seen and being teased as a boss?
Bias at its absolute finest.
How are those situations even slightly related??

First off, I only support Ridley for other people. I could not care less whether or not he's playable. And I do believe that shadow severely hurts his chances.

I am not saying Pacman is disconfimed, but I never considered him likely in the first place as Sakurai explicitly stated when Namco was revealed to be assisting development that they weren't getting special treatment in terms of characters. That statement does not include cute, easy-to-make retro Assist Trophies.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Well, Morbid somewhat explained some of my thoughts, but another thing I've noticed.

Why is Namco getting Assist Trophies unrelated to the character it's including? Why isn't Capcom getting non-Mega Man representation in some what?

I agree with Morbid - the ATs are how Bandai is repayed for helping out with development. Especially considering the are arcade styled, and Pacman is mostly known for his arcade outings, even it he is indeed playable I would be surprised for them to not include a retro Pacman AT.
So while Namco is helping to develop the game they are not getting their mascot in it while capcom and sega get a character, unless there is a pacman AT then no, this only helps Pacman

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
But guys, Pac-Man is still fair game!
The Pac-Man in Ghostly Adventures isn't the same as 8-bit Pac-Man!
THERE'S STILL HOPE!
Actually, it might not be too much of a stretch for an 8-bit Pac-Man to be an assist while a 3D Pac-Man is playable. Not exactly likely, but plausible.

Though we have yet to even reach that point. Pac-Man isn't out of the running yet.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo

Or, we could be getting the Galaga ship as a playable character.
What? It could happen.

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
At this point, I'm not even sure if Sakurai's still abiding by that statement that Namco doesn't get any little boost for a character by working on the game.
It's thanks to their help that this game is even coming out so soon. Sora alone wouldn't be able to do so. Even then, there's still his iconicness as a character, many close ties with Nintendo, etc.

Last edited:

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
Actually, it might not be too much of a stretch for an 8-bit Pac-Man to be an assist while a 3D Pac-Man is playable. Not exactly likely, but plausible.

Though we have yet to even reach that point. Pac-Man isn't out of the running yet.
Or classic retro ms. PAC man as an assist trophy and regular modern 3d pacman playable.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
As much as I'd like to think Pac Man will just be an assist, I just know Namco will push and push for him since he hasn't been all that lately and they'd like him to be back on the stage. His modern games make him known for more than just eating pellets, so a moveset wouldn't be impossible.
I don't think Sakurai would include a character out of pity.

Except Sonic.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
guys look at this

type this in google search bar:

site:smashbros.com "_________" 3ds

("____________") ----> place your char there and take out the quotations (")

then search

Ex:

1. site:smashbros.com Mewtwo 3ds

2. site:smashbros.com Ridley 3ds

3. site:smashbros.com Midna 3ds

------ I don't get anything on Midna so does that mean, It shows possible veterans and newcomers "only". because I didn't get the official site on a Assist Trophy Char. I Even get the official site when I type in Shulk. So this somewhere on the board. But I want to hear your thoughts.

Your thoughts?
Searched up Mewtwo.

Got Greninja.

Ohohohoho. You so silly, Sakurai.

----

Last edited:

Glyphoscythe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Glyphoscythe
3DS FC
0834-0985-0680
I'm not gonna comment on Pac's chances, but classic Pac-Man would make a really cool assist imo. He could eat items like Munchlax, but do damage as well. Then, when his time's up, the ghosts chase him away. When he's running away, he could do more knockback or something, along with ghosts doing damage too.

Look, I'm not knockin' the Pac. I just think he'd make a really sweet assist. But that's just like...my opinion, man.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
I think if I (as in not myself but as whole company) were to help develop Ssb, I would prefer an assist trophy with a bunch of games from Namco rather than a single mascot playable char. Making other playing looking into Namco game history, at the assist trophy gallery in game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom