• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
here's a list of characters I have compiled using the Google method:

Ridley
Mewtwo
KingK.Rool
Dixie
Palutena
Shulk
Robin
Mii
Tetra
Black Shadow
Baby Mario (note: nothing showed up when I put Dr Mario, so this isn't just mario)
Toad
Ray
Pichu
Snake

So if we add this to the existing newcomers, we should have 19 newcomers if there's no time restraints. It's possible that these are all planned but it's likely they won't finish all of them.

EDIT: Also, neither Squirtle nor Ivysaur came up with any results.
It works for "Dee" too :awesome:

D

Deleted member

Would you guys laugh away anyone supporting Pacman if not for Namco Bandai working on this game?

I have yet to see anything else to convince me he would happen.
Most people would have dismissed the idea of Pac-Man if if weren't for that. Heck, if Mega Man had been confirmed and Salromano didn't leak Pac-Man, I still wouldn't think he would be getting in and would be assuming a Tales rep was more likely. And that's factoring the Special Cup which would hint towards a Namco rep regardless. Of course I do believe the Salromano leak is legitimate, so...

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
here's a list of characters I have compiled using the Google method:

Ridley
Mewtwo
KingK.Rool
Dixie
Palutena
Shulk
Robin
Mii
Tetra
Black Shadow
Baby Mario (note: nothing showed up when I put Dr Mario, so this isn't just mario)
Toad
Ray
Pichu
Snake

So if we add this to the existing newcomers, we should have 19 newcomers if there's no time restraints. It's possible that these are all planned but it's likely they won't finish all of them.

EDIT: Also, neither Squirtle nor Ivysaur came up with any results.
King K. Rool doesn't work, it only links to the Dojo. Baby Mario is just redirecting to Mario's hidden name at the bottom of character pages. And Pichu is just Google thinking you meant Pikachu.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Most people would have dismissed the idea of Pac-Man if if weren't for that. Heck, if Mega Man had been confirmed and Salromano didn't leak Pac-Man, I still wouldn't think he would be getting in and would be assuming a Tales rep was more likely. And that's factoring the Special Cup which would hint towards a Namco rep regardless. Of course I do believe the Salromano leak is legitimate, so...
I don't believe the leak is legitimate, and even then I think Pac-Man has a fairly good chance at this point.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I stand by False Sense.
Most who know me know I don't believe in the leaks at all (instead respecting other's opinion while I despise it [a lot more than many of you realize]), and I still say that Pac-Man has a great chance. There's enough warrant for a good chance with Pac-Man. If Namco wasn't working on Smash, there'd still be a good chance. He's freaking Pac-Man, Namco's still had a close history with Nintendo.

Last edited:

Hot Uncle Sparky

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4356-0645-2703
I don't think Sakurai would include a character out of pity.

Except Sonic.
It may not even be pity, Pac Man could be part of the deal. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but "no special treatment" doesn't automatically mean "No Namco fighters at all".

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
It may even be pity, Pac Man could be part of the deal. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but "no special treatment" doesn't automatically mean "No Namco fighters at all".
Isn't that exactly what he meant?

Obviously, all anyone cares about is the characters, he knows that. So if he doesn't plan to include Nacmo characters, that would probably be the first thing he'd want to get out of the way.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Would you guys laugh away anyone supporting Pacman if not for Namco Bandai working on this game?

I have yet to see anything else to convince me he would happen.
I'm pretty sure Pacman has enough merits on his own to be included as a 3rd party, although Namco helping develop the game certainly doesn't hurt, along with the leak.

No special treatment =/= No characters at all. Pretty sure he was trying to get across that a Namco character is not a guarantee.

Last edited:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I'm pretty sure most of the people who think Pacman is guaranteed are being mind-controlled by leaks.

In which case, I won't even bother trying to convince them otherwise.
I believe he's very close to guaranteed at the moment just due to the flag item and the Galagian Assist Trophy. I don't believe any of the leaks we have so far.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Fine, let's assume that Namco is so special that they get Assist Trophy representation aside from Pacman.

The only way to justify this is to include Assist Trophies for other companies as well.

Konami gets Bomberman, Sega gets Ulala or Amigo, Capcom gets Wesker.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Fine, let's assume that Namco is so special that they get Assist Trophy representation aside from Pacman.

The only way to justify this is to include Assist Trophies for other companies as well.

Konami gets Bomberman, Sega gets Ulala or Amigo, Capcom gets Wesker.
Nah, Konami should have Raiden, Sega should have Tails, Knuckles, or the return of Shadow, and Capcom gets Elecman because that's our Assist Trophy from them.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
@ Louie G. Louie G. Also the way you set me up like that without a good reason is extremely uncool, dude. Ask me what I mean before rudely accusing me of bias.
You're right, and I'm sorry.
I'm just a bit tired of people shunning Pac-Man and Miis because they don't like them.
You've been guilty of it in the past, but this time you have solid reasoning, and I respect that.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So which is better for the collective Mario universe representation?

Dixie Kong or Paper Mario? (I already have King K Rool)
I would prefer Paper Mario myself, but I think Dixie Kong is more important to the Donkey Kong series than Paper Mario is to the Mario series.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I would prefer Paper Mario myself, but I think Dixie Kong is more important to the Donkey Kong series than Paper Mario is to the Mario series.
I think Paper Mario would be chosen overall due to his inherent uniqueness, and the fact he could potentially represent en entire series of games.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Snake alongside a Simon Belmont assist trophy... perfect. :troll:

I'd definitely love to see more Konami and Capcom stuff, maybe even a stage each that isn't from Mega Man or Metal Gear.

I have no idea what Sega makes besides Sanic and Bayonetta so I don't know what could work.

Wait, ToeJam and Earl, oh god yes.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
So which is better for the collective Mario universe representation?

Dixie Kong or Paper Mario? (I already have King K Rool)
Paper Mario, because of uniqueness and showing that characters with the same name can be different. Maybe people wouldn't be so opposed to Dark Link then.

Morbi

Scavenger
Paper Mario, because of uniqueness and showing that characters with the same name can be different. Maybe people wouldn't be so opposed to Dark Link then.
What does Dark Link offer, inherently, that Link does not? I do believe that the comparison is unwarranted; I could be incorrect though, this is why I ask.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
It's Japan demand char list poll

http://smashboards.com/threads/characters-on-sakurais-poll.71872/ ---- FORGOT TO ADD THE LINK :p

and so far Megaman/ Villager/Little mac which are in that list ("Human" mentioned in the list instead of Villager) are in the next SSb game.

So sakurai chosen characters in the next SSB could have started from that list. Also, I see Palutena in that list. Which increases her chances even more.

I see Takamaru right above LIttle Mac. :awesome:

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
It's Japan demand char list poll

http://smashboards.com/threads/characters-on-sakurais-poll.71872/ ---- FORGOT TO ADD THE LINK :p

and so far Megaman/ Villager/Little mac which are in that list ("Human" mentioned in the list instead of Villager) are in the next SSb game.

So sakurai chosen characters in the next SSB could have started from that list. Also, I see Palutena in that list. Which increases her chances even more.

I see Takamaru right above LIttle Mac. :awesome:
So we have characters that are consistently requested and popular. We still got Wii Fit Trainer, Greninja, and Rosalina. I doubt he's just looking at an old poll.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
What does Dark Link offer, inherently, that Link does not? I do believe that the comparison is unwarranted; I could be incorrect though, this is why I ask.
There's effectively no difference. They appear in a few games: Zelda 2, Link to the Past (only in the GBA port so i dont think it counts,) Ocarina of Time, Oracle of Ages, Twilight Princess, Spirit Tracks and Link between Worlds. Oracle of ages he is a distraction used by the final boss, Spirit Tracks he is only in a minigame, Link to the past he wasn't in the original so it isn't canon, and Link between worlds he represents the enemy in a multiplayer fight, which is again not significant to the story. So that really only leaves Zelda 2, Ocarina of Time, and Twilight Princess.

In Zelda 2, when he shows up as the final boss, you are intended to "fight yourself to prove your worth" so to speak. It was likely left as a final test by the King of Hyrule who hid the triforce of courage. Although, he is referred to as Shadow Link, which may or may not be different from Dark Link (I don't think there is.)

He appears in Ocarina of time, which I believe is his most known role. In the Water Temple, he appears in an illusionary room when you are believed to be trapped inside. He is a pain to fight, and is actually one of the tougher enemies overall to defeat. He doesn't actually have a role past this which is guarding the Longshot. He's really just a miniboss, but the fight is very memorable because the Water Temple is a huge pain, the pace is slowed down from the confusion of being trapped in a room, along with him surprisingly appearing to fight you.

In Twilight Princess, he is just a visual tool to represent the Interlopers, who were the people responsible for originally attempting to gain control over the sacred realm (precursor to Ganondorf.) There were 3 of them in the flashback and it may hold some meaning, but not necessarily.

So in conclusion, Dark/Shadow Link at best is representing the evil side of Link, and is literally put in as a test for Link, who is fighting himself. He is best kept as an alt costume. In the future, he may become something more than just a mirror of Link, then I would be all for his inclusion, but until that happens, an alt. skin/costume is perfect for him.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
So we have characters that are consistently requested and popular. We still got Wii Fit Trainer, Greninja, and Rosalina. I doubt he's just looking at an old poll.
Well if you look at the list most of the char in that list, they really can't be added.

like, sora from KH/ Sukapon? (Joy Mecha Fight) / Simon Belmont (Castlevania series?) / Jeff (Earthbound - too many reps for a old game)

Similar to how sakurai went through the list....

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
There's effectively no difference. They appear in a few games: Zelda 2, Link to the Past (only in the GBA port so i dont think it counts,) Ocarina of Time, Oracle of Ages, Twilight Princess, Spirit Tracks and Link between Worlds. Oracle of ages he is a distraction used by the final boss, Spirit Tracks he is only in a minigame, Link to the past he wasn't in the original so it isn't canon, and Link between worlds he represents the enemy in a multiplayer fight, which is again not significant to the story. So that really only leaves Zelda 2, Ocarina of Time, and Twilight Princess.

In Zelda 2, when he shows up as the final boss, you are intended to "fight yourself to prove your worth" so to speak. It was likely left as a final test by the King of Hyrule who hid the triforce of courage. Although, he is referred to as Shadow Link, which may or may not be different from Dark Link (I don't think there is.)

He appears in Ocarina of time, which I believe is his most known role. In the Water Temple, he appears in an illusionary room when you are believed to be trapped inside. He is a pain to fight, and is actually one of the tougher enemies overall to defeat. He doesn't actually have a role past this which is guarding the Longshot. He's really just a miniboss, but the fight is very memorable because the Water Temple is a huge pain, the pace is slowed down from the confusion of being trapped in a room, along with him surprisingly appearing to fight you.

In Twilight Princess, he is just a visual tool to represent the Interlopers, who were the people responsible for originally attempting to gain control over the sacred realm (precursor to Ganondorf.) There were 3 of them in the flashback and it may hold some meaning, but not necessarily.

So in conclusion, Dark/Shadow Link at best is representing the evil side of Link, and is literally put in as a test for Link, who is fighting himself. He is best kept as an alt costume. In the future, he may become something more than just a mirror of Link, then I would be all for his inclusion, but until that happens, an alt. skin/costume is perfect for him.
I sincerely thank you for the effort put into the post, I really do appreciate it... it saves me the trouble of reading a Wiki article. That being said, I actually discussed this with my sister. I believe that Dark Link would be an interesting character if he used aspects of his shadow incorporated into the move-set, I would love to have his counter be in the game. I could just imagine him jumping on other contestants arms and legs and just staring at them, haha. My sister took the more logical route, she believes that Link has so many different incarnations and appearances, with so many different abilities and items... that it would be reasonable to include Dark Link in the game with an entirely new move-set. She cited overt omissions from Link's move-set in Smash, there is no hammer, for instance.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Well if you look at the list most of the char in that list, they really can't be added.

like, sora from KH/ Sukapon? (Joy Mecha Fight) / Simon Belmont (Castlevania series?) / Jeff (Earthbound - too many reps for a old game)
Sukapon is this guy:

He's from Nintendo's first Fighting game and has the "honor" of being specifically pointed out as a character that we should not expect to see in a future Smash game.

Last edited:

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
I sincerely thank you for the effort put into the post, I really do appreciate it... it saves me the trouble of reading a Wiki article. That being said, I actually discussed this with my sister. I believe that Dark Link would be an interesting character if he used aspects of his shadow incorporated into the move-set, I would love to have his counter be in the game. I could just imagine him jumping on other contestants arms and legs and just staring at them, haha. My sister took the more logical route, she believes that Link has so many different incarnations and appearances, with so many different abilities and items... that it would be reasonable to include Dark Link in the game with an entirely new move-set. She cited overt omissions from Link's move-set in Smash, there is no hammer, for instance.
Well Zelda is my favorite series, so it wasnt much effort. Glad I could inform.

I agree that it is certainly possible. There is a lot that Link can do and has done across his many incarnations, so much in fact that they could realistically make a whole new Link character with completely different moves. However, I dont think it is very necessary to include him At this point in time.

I do think it would be hilarious to have a counter ability that freezes the opponent and has Dark Link jump on the part that attacked him and allowed a free hit.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
Sukapon is this guy:

He's from Nintendo's first Fighting game and has the "honor" of being specifically pointed out as a character that we should not expect to see in a future Smash game.
After Wii Fit Trainer being added into the game,

I wouldn't be surprised if this guy was added too. Seriously 100%. :p

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Sukapon is this guy:

All the more reason to expect him. It would be right up there with Sakurai's most trolliest trolls. :troll:

For real though I hope we get a trophy of him this time like Sakurai promised for Brawl.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
After ICs, G&W, Snake, ROB, ZSS, Pokemon Trainer, etc. being added into Smash.

You shouldn't be raising WFT as if she's the first surprise character to ever grace the series. Seriously 100%

:p

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
After Wii Fit Trainer being added into the game,

I wouldn't be surprised if Chorus Men were added too. Seriously 100%.
Insert Daitoryo propoganda here.

I'd be surprised to see Sukapon, but he's possible. He was deemed "too complex" at the time (It's likely that Sakurai figured each of his body parts would be individual entities with the illusion of connectivity, just like in the original, and just figured it would be too taxing on the game.) so maybe Sakurai will come back to him now that he has more powerful hardware to work with.

Last edited:

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
After ICs, G&W, Snake, ROB, ZSS, Pokemon Trainer, etc. being added into Smash.

You shouldn't be raising WFT as if she's the first surprise character to ever grace the series. Seriously 100%

:p
I appreciate it that you guys are making me look stupid. :facepalm:

Its time to hide my face :kirby2:----> :samus2:

Good point though, I guess WFT isn't a first, forgot about the others like G&W.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom