• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Just want to remind people that there are no such things as "needed" additions for third-parties. We're extremely lucky to be getting Sonic, Mega Man and (assuming the salromano leak is real) Pac-Man in this game.
Oh yeah while the idea of Mii is in my head, I might as well suggest an idea of implementation. That proposition being the idea of creating a character that heavily emphasis on versatility, with a gimmick that provides it with more attacks over the standard 26 a character typically has. I'm talking about smash attacks and throws being more based on inputs, a huge expansion on the concept Little Mac has with his forward smash. Smash attacks would have up to 3 variants for each one, each having a different function.

Example:

Forward Smash (Forward): Swings a bat that functions as a standard forward smash.
Forward Smash (Down): Slams down a large mallet down that either buries the opponent when the opponent is on the ground or functions as a meteor smash when the opponent is in the air.
Forward Smash (Up): Throws out coins out from a bucket at a upward diagonal angle that sports short but wide range and hits multiple times, being capable of inflicting a large amount of damage but with low knockback.

Up Smash (Up): Lifts a large barbell over the Mii's head that inflicts heavy damage with decent range but is extremely slow.
Up Smash (Left): Uses a fishing rod and hooks the opponent above Mii, dragging them down and be tech'd into another attack.
Up Smash (Right): Mii uses pom-poms and preforms cheerleading, a three input attack where first an uppercut attack in front, then the same attack from behind behind, then a large jump raising both pom-poms.

Down Smash (Down): Uses hollahoops, which has a vacuum effect that drags the opponent towards Mii and hits multiples times, with a finishing blow that sends the opponent straight up.
Down Smash (Left): Throws oil out of an oil drum that inflicts little damage or knockback, but if it lands on the ground it causes a hazard that makes the opponent have very poor traction and occasionally slipping.
Down Smash (Right): Releases two springs on each side of Mii that sends the opponent straight up with high knockback.
Interesting. I like how move sets have been getting more complex in general with characters (just look at Rosalina & Luma's play style; looks a lot like Eddie from Guilty Gear). Seeing this implemented with Mii would be something I would be all for seeing; it would give a new style of dimension to play with.
I doubt Rosalina X is legit, considering he said that the roster size may change, which would contradict the idea that 4 cuts are "inevitable" so I don't know why you keep referring to that leak.
I was not bringing up RosalinaX anywhere in that post. The four cuts part was just assuming the absolute worst scenario with number of cuts regardless of RosalinaX. I actually don't think we'll get more than three this game, especially if the RosalinaX leak gets disproven.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Ok sorry to change the topic, but there was one thing that was bothering me since some days and it has to do about the general opinion about paper mario (btw, if you don't care about him then just don't read this message and I'm sorry to disturb you)

I think that he's more popular than what people are talking. What I mean is that (this is just a theory) but it gave me the feel that people that wants him don't tell exactly why he should deserve a spot even as a 6th mario rep and the fact that he's an iteration of mario. I know I'm biased towards his inclusion (after all, I'm the owner of his support thread now) but I just want by curiosity that people would read the counterargument section I recently did in the op. This opinion got points from my old debates on him and I added the most complete opinion I could. Here it is (again if you don't care then I'm sorry to disturb you:

Counterarguments

"Paper Mario is just another Mario; we don't need another Mario."

This is BY FAR the most used argument against him and it should be reconsidered.

Let's pick Toon link as an example: he's another link from the main series and he's a clone of link moveset-wise. But the reason he got into the roster was because of his design: his design became really important to the series and it would not feel right to not put him in. The reason that he lacks moveset potential is just because he's from the same series as link and so, most of his ability are the same.

Here, this is a COMPLETELY different case: not only he's from another branch of the main series that is important enough to have 4 games (maybe 5), but his moveset CANNOT be a cloned Mario. Try to compare the paper Mario series, an RPG, to the main Mario series which is a platformer. Sure, you'll spot the same charm and flavour that has the whole Mario franchise has, BUT the way that you play and the way to represent this flavour is NOT THE SAME AT ALL.

Also, you can't deny the possibility of this happening; Dr Mario got in melee and was intentionally a clone so why Paper Mario can't be there while making him a clone of Mario will make even less sense to include him in the first place?

Finally, Sakurai will have the final word on his inclusion but I even have a proof that he MAY have acknowledged the uniqueness of the first game and to this extent, his series. In the description of the melee trophy of paper Mario, we can read "What the visuals lack in realism, they more than make up for unique artistry", unique artistry, and Sakurai decided everything around this game so he must knew about the artstyle. He's very underrated because of this argument but please, don't judge a book by its cover.

THEORY TIME! (do not take this seriously): in BOTH Super Smash Bros Melee and Super Smash Bros Brawl, you receive the same trophy by clearing classic mode with all the characters it and this trophy is none other than a Paper Mario trophy. Could this means that Sakurai just felt like doing so because he likes his series? We may not know but this raise doubts.

TL;DR: Take Toon link, declone him, add more moveset potential (assuming he has more) and it would be the same situation as Paper Mario so why not including him while his series is underrepresented?

"The Mario series already has 5 rep why adding a sixth one; 5 is more than enough for this series."

Who said there was a limit? No one. So, it doesn't have anything to do with the amount of rep a series has; it has to do with the most obvious thing; is the character worth a place in the roster? What defines this question is Sakurai's words; he clearly said that he wants every character to bring something new to the whole roster and makes people want to play the game. The first, I think it's already solved by having one of the most potential among other candidates and the fact that he's a paper... well I don't know about you but is playing as a piece of paper sounds interesting? Mr game & watch was and Paper Mario, despite him being 2d, is very different from him (G&W is animated by frames in pure 2d to reflect the LCD screen while Paper Mario is very fluid and can even fold himself into a tube).

Also, remember pokemon got 6 rep in brawl (don't try to bring up the transformation talk like just admit it for once IT'S 6 NOT 4) and it would have gotten 7 if they had time to finish mewtwo. But here, the same logic applies: Pickachu and Jigglypuff are a given due to their importance, the trainer and his pokemon are a new mechanics Lucario is the first to have a "hit me and I'll hit harder" type of thing and Mewtwo would have been here just like he was for melee: give the feel to control the opponent. So, if you think that the Mario franchise is fine now that doesn't mean you should refuse any other addition (think about Wii fit trainer). Also, don't worry, there's character that should go before him but I think there will be JUST enough place (we're talking about a 45-49 roster), After all, 4 games since the Nintendo 64 is enough to be considered as "relevant".

Oh and finally, yes there's a possibility that he could rep his own series but in the end, it doesn't matter: he would have the same potential and since this is a spin-off, they are Mario games just from a different branch. So, even if he has his own series, it doesn't change anything that he's Mario and being a worthy addition.

TL;DR For you maybe but that doesn't mean you should avoid any addition. Also, it's possible and it already happened for another series.

But the fifth rep leads me to my next point...

"Rosalina has already a partner mechanics; Paper Mario isn't that unique anymore."

Let me start by saying that the partner mechanics is one of the elements that makes him unique so, there's other ability he has that only a paper can do. But to answer the argument; it's not true here's why:

Let's look how Rosalina uses his luma. She needs to do a special move that release the luma. She can send it farther and he will get to her eventually or she can use him to attack at the same direction she does. This can work from distance and even the star bit move can work with this.

Now let's describe how Paper Mario's partner act in his game:

You gather them along your adventure and, after they join you, you can do 2 major things with them. You can use special ability while not in a battle to allow Paper Mario to reach inaccessible path or use them as assistant in battle (every turn, your partner selected always have a turn). It's important to note that you can switch your partner in or out of a battle.

Ok let me tell you, as similar as those sounds, why they aren't working the same way:

Rosalina is the mother of the luma so she can control then as she WANTS using them to attack foes at a distance unlike Paper Mario's partner which only have ONE chance to attack before ending his turn and the ability, well, there's only one thing you can do with them and they stop after being done.

Still not convince? well let's see how the partner in ssb4 would be translated:

They are more likely switchable via a special move and will be in a fixed order. They would only attack when using any of the other special moves and they are different and have a different purpose from partner to partner. After the move is done, that's it; they don't attack after because they have only ONE chance to attack.

Sounds still like Rosalina? well no because not only Rosalina has only one minion that have fixed attacks but she can use it whenever she wants. So, she can't change his moveset in battle in any way while Paper Mario would be able.

And it's not the same as the pokemon trainer too because he needs to switch the WHOLE character to continue here, we're talking about switching SOME moves.

So, his partner aren't taken and he still has a fixed moveset; just more versatile than usual (I say this because Sakurai said that he removed the transformation was because he wants that the player concentrate on only one moveset but here, we are switching moves NOT ALL moves)

TL;DR No Rosalina has only one minion that allows her to do the same tasks while Mario can switch his partner to get different attacks and having a different purpose.
I just want to hear your take on this wall of texts. Right now, I need to have a more broader thread like this one to know if what I'm saying makes sense (you don't have to want him but just view this and tell if you agree or not)

Thanks for your feedback, that would be very appreciated.

EDIT: the part stroke trough is NOT true do not bother to read it I'm sorry :(

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I doubt the wii u version will fail. Well sales wise it will most likely be the most successful game on the wii u this year. Mainly because the wii u hasnt sold very well. The Wii u needs a game like smash bros to help it raise its sells. The wii u is a next gen system that is failing. It hasnt implemented anything very well. So with a famous nintendo series like smash bros, the sales could go way up. So lets hope ssb wii u succeeds
MK8 Will be imo

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Ok sorry to change the topic, but there was one thing that was bothering me since some days and it has to do about the general opinion about paper mario (btw, if you don't care about him then just don't read this message and I'm sorry to disturb you)

I think that he's more popular than what people are talking. What I mean is that (this is just a theory) but it gave me the feel that people that wants him don't tell exactly why he should deserve a spot even as a 6th mario rep and the fact that he's an iteration of mario. I know I'm biased towards his inclusion (after all, I'm the owner of his support thread now) but I just want by curiosity that people would read the counterargument section I recently did in the op. This opinion got points from my old debates on him and I added the most complete opinion I could. Here it is (again if you don't care then I'm sorry to disturb you:

I just want to hear your take on this wall of texts. Right now, I need to have a more broader thread like this one to know if what I'm saying makes sense (you don't have to want him but just view this and tell if you agree or not)

Thanks for your feedback, that would be very appreciated.
I agree with everything here. I would LOVE for Paper Mario to become a new contender, I loved everything about his games(including Sticker Star, it wasn't that bad imo), so yeah, I agree.

D

Deleted member

Dinoman in the Salromano/Gematsu leak thread I'm running brought something really interesting up:
About "Pokemon from X/Y", I did find something interesting about Ike's inclusion in Brawl.

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http://www.geocities.jp/bgrtype/gsl/words2/dairantosmabrax/smashbrothersx.html&edit-text=

New work of "Fire Emblem" is produced in the Wii at the stage of July 2005 announced the creation of "Smash Bros. X"
I've found that. There is no information about the character, because I did not know anything, is at the stage of making a proposal
where he was referred to as "someone in the Fire Emblem". "I feel the heavy contrary to appearance from the developer of the original Ike
if there is a demand to put out ", was aimed at rough character with a large sword. The attack for heavy movement
easily dodged, though that painful mess it hits. In the original, the enemies far away with something like shock wave
Is there also situations to attack, but do you accommodate phase and Ike image that should aim at "Smash Bros. X".
In addition, rather than in terms of character of, when you embody a quality of character on the game, will be accepted
out did you think that it is whether to become balance. After all, the character if Tsukkome remains of the original, such as the skill
but I was not the case in any way speaking likeness restrictor is, or get out.
Basically what Sakurai is saying here is that he actually didn't initially add Ike when he was planning Brawl's roster out. Instead, he put down "Someone from Fire Emblem" on his list, and he was eventually redirected to Ike by Intelligent Systems.

I'm wondering if a similar thing happened with Greninja. I'd reckon Sakurai and/or Gamefreak wanted a character from X/Y, and it was eventually narrowed down to Greninja, who was considered the best fit. Maybe whoever is leaking this is reading off of Sakurai's planning documents or something, which still reads to this day "Pokemon from X/Y".
Of course it'd be nice if someone here could try to translate this more accurately, but I do think this is interesting and I do want to make a write-up about this and how it could relate to the Salromano leak.

Here's the original link btw.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Dinoman in the Salromano/Gematsu leak thread I'm running brought something really interesting up:
Of course it'd be nice if someone here could try to translate this more accurately, but I do think this is interesting and I do want to make a write-up about this and how it could relate to the Salromano leak.

Here's the original link btw.
I find it a little hard to believe that at the time the leaker leaked "Pokemon from X and Y," they didn't know it was Greninja. I would think someone with access to that sort of information, and isn't giving it out all at once, would have a little more specific information at that time.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
SEGA doesn't use Big the Cat. In fact they actually disowned him.
As much of a second Sonic character supporter I am, and how I don't think Big will be playable even if Nintendo buys SEGA, I'm calling rubbish on the bolded. Big the Cat has still shown up ever since Sonic Heroes as a referee in Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games, an extra added story in the DS version of Sonic Colors, and a cameo background appearance in Sonic Generations. I wish to inquire your source!

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
As much of a second Sonic character supporter I am, and how I don't think Big will be playable even if Nintendo buys SEGA, I'm calling rubbish on the bolded. Big the Cat has still shown up ever since Sonic Heroes as a referee in Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games, an extra added story in the DS version of Sonic Colors, and a cameo background appearance in Sonic Generations. I wish to inquire your source!
I'm pretty sure they officially said that they wouldn't use him anymore due to his popularity. I wouldn't could his trophy in Sonic Generations as a real appearance.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure they officially said that they wouldn't use him anymore due to his popularity. I wouldn't could his trophy in Sonic Generations as a real appearance.
Seriously? Big the Cat got Tingle'd? I just googled it; apparently he was officially retired two years ago. Huh.

Well that's news. I guess if a character does get enough hate they can be pushed out of a series.

Not that Big would ever get chosen to be in Smash, but it does explain where he disappeared to in the second Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
That's a pretty terrible idea. Why would I want Sakurai to take out a set of characters who are awesome and have basically been confirmed for Smash 4, just to replace them with the worst things to plague Mario Kart?
Close...but not quiet...

Metal Mario
Baby Peach
Baby Daisy

Although i like Wiggler in mario but him being playable in Mario Kart is just.........no......

Were the hell is Kamek

Also if Diddy/Petey Piranna/King Boo dont return = Fail MK8 Roster....

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Too soon. You're just digging into the wounds of Ridley fans.

Anyway, Mario Golf is coming out on Thursday. Even if we did get a reveal, what would we possibly get?
The only thing I could think of is Wario, since he's the only unrevealed character likely present in both games. I definitely wouldn't count on it, though.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Anyone want to talk about the chances of a sixth Mario/Zelda character?
For zelda, maybe it can happen but I wonder who Girahim?

For mario it's really weird; there's no hint AT ALL unlike other popular request. It has to go with Sakurai's decision but it's possible since he seems to get new/more rep for more series. So there's really no way to tell for sure it's possible but it's hard to tell at what point.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
For zelda, maybe it can happen but I wonder who Girahim?

For mario it's really weird; there's no hint AT ALL unlike other popular request. It has to go with Sakurai's decision but it's possible since he seems to get new/more rep for more series. So there's really no way to tell for sure it's possible but it's hard to tell at what point.
For Zelda, I think the sixth character would either be Tetra (solo), Ghirahim, or perhaps Tingle. Tetra has a recent appearance and overall importance on her side, while Ghirahim has a moderately recent appearance and a pretty good amount of popularity and potential as a Smash fighter. Tingle is another viable option, but I think his overall importance to the Zelda series is fairly low, and it doesn't help that he's really quite disliked.

For Mario, I think at this point it would either be Bowser Jr. or Paper Mario. Bowser Jr. was the popular choice for a Mario newcomer before Rosalina showed up, so if he does make it into the game, perhaps he would be better off being saved for later on. Aside from that, he has a lot of potential for a paintbrush based move set, and he has had a lot of recurring roles within the Mario series since his debut. Paper Mario is kind of an interesting situation, since he'd be representing a side series within a larger one. But I think the Paper Mario series has had enough of an impact to get a character into Smash, especially since Paper Mario has a ton of interesting potential as a fighter. I suppose another very slim possibility at this point would be Geno, who could get in due to his insane amount of popularity, but he's very unlikely at this point.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Anyone want to talk about the chances of a sixth Mario/Zelda character?
The chance of a sixth Mario/Zelda character has increased drastically since the removal of transformations had been revealed. I now conside it a serious possibly. This makes me happy, because Toad has at least a fighting chance once again. I'm keeping my hopes down, and don't expect it, but the chance is there at least.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
The chance of a sixth Mario/Zelda character has increased drastically since the removal of transformations had been revealed. I now conside it a serious possibly. This makes me happy, because Toad has at least a fighting chance once again. I'm keeping my hopes down, and don't expect it, but the chance is there at least.
just curious, what does transformation has to do with their chances? To me, there's not really a limit to the number of rep but a rep should be added if it's considered as needed or that it would interesting (needed btw are obvious like mario and zelda).

For Zelda, I think the sixth character would either be Tetra (solo), Ghirahim, or perhaps Tingle. Tetra has a recent appearance and overall importance on her side, while Ghirahim has a moderately recent appearance and a pretty good amount of popularity and potential as a Smash fighter. Tingle is another viable option, but I think his overall importance to the Zelda series is fairly low, and it doesn't help that he's really quite disliked.

For Mario, I think at this point it would either be Bowser Jr. or Paper Mario. Bowser Jr. was the popular choice for a Mario newcomer before Rosalina showed up, so if he does make it into the game, perhaps he would be better off being saved for later on. Aside from that, he has a lot of potential for a paintbrush based move set, and he has had a lot of recurring roles within the Mario series since his debut. Paper Mario is kind of an interesting situation, since he'd be representing a side series within a larger one. But I think the Paper Mario series has had enough of an impact to get a character into Smash, especially since Paper Mario has a ton of interesting potential as a fighter. I suppose another very slim possibility at this point would be Geno, who could get in due to his insane amount of popularity, but he's very unlikely at this point.
As much as I would like so much to have paper mario in, I agree about their chances; this is pretty much an accurate way to put it but the final decision depends on if Sakurai wanted it or not.

Last edited:

Eight Melodies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DestroyerGiygas
I don't particularly think any new Mario or Zelda character will happen or is needed. Besides Groose.

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
just curious, what does transformation has to do with their chances? To me, there's not really a limit to the number of rep but a rep should be added if it's considered as needed or that it would interesting (needed btw are obvious like mario and zelda).

As much as I would like so much to have paper mario in, I agree about their chances; this is pretty much an accurate way to put it but the final decision depends on if Sakurai wanted it or not.
Pokemon will most likely have 6 characters: Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Charizard, Greninja, Lucario, Mewtwo.
Now I can hear you already: But zzuxon, pokemon had 6 characters in Brawl too!
No. Pokemon had 4 characters in Brawl, it is just that one of those characters (The Pokemon Trainer) had 3 movesets. The entire point of Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard was to give the impression of playing as 1 person, the trainer.
Now, that is kaput. If Mario doesn't get more than it already has, Pokemon will be sitting pretty on the select screen, with more characters than Mario and Zelda. It will be beyond debate.
I'm not sure they'd be willing to do that.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Pokemon will most likely have 6 characters: Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Charizard, Greninja, Lucario, Mewtwo.
No. Pokemon had 4 characters in Brawl, it is just that one of those characters (The Pokemon Trainer) had 3 movesets. The entire point of Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard was to give the impression of playing as 1 person, the trainer.
Now, that is kaput. If Mario doesn't get more than it already has, Pokemon will be sitting pretty on the select screen, with more characters than Mario and Zelda. It will be beyond debate.
Alternatively, they could just not add Mewtwo. He's not exactly a lock at this point.

Also, Sakurai definitely considers the Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon as individual characters. That's what ultimately matters.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I'm going to not answer to this (other person would be more willing to do so) but I can realistically tell you (and this comes from someone who is really biased around paper mario) that I don't believe that how mario has rep compared to others will change anything involving how many rep will have a series.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Sakurai considers it 39 characters, so they're three separate characters. It's a pretty dead argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom