• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

When the games were first revealed, yes. Everyone liked Fennekin.
But as Xeno stated, once the evolutions were revealed, everyone flocked to the ninja as their favorite.
Yeah, I got that part.
I was talking about Chespin being the least liked and not Froakie.

I've seen polls before like on Serebii, and I remember Froakie being the least popular of the starters.
I may need to do some snooping for citation purposes though.
SnooPING AS usual, I see!

Last edited by a moderator:

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
Actually, this is not true.
It's only if Chrom or the Avatar dies.

Lucina is however, one of the characters that cannot "die" because of being plot relevant. She's just incapable of fighting for the rest of the game.
Just tested it. You're right.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
When the games were first revealed, closely yes. Everyone liked Fennekin.
But as Xeno stated, once the evolutions were revealed, everyone flocked to the ninja as their favorite.
Fennekin's evo is still my favorite starter evo for 6th gen. Must be due to being a Psychic type lover

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Yeah, I don't think Greninja got in due to Froakie's popularity. That wasn't really a thing until Greninja popped up and everyone started obsessing over it.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, I don't think Greninja got in due to Froakie's popularity. That wasn't really a thing until Greninja popped up and everyone started obsessing over it.
Hence why I don't think it had a lot to do with promotions, and it had more to do with seeing the appeal of executing Greninja as a ninja character.

If it was for promotions, we should of gotten Dendenne instead.

Last edited:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Hence why I don't think it had a lot to do with promotions, and it had more to do with seeing the appeal of executing Greninja as a ninja character.

If it was for promotions, we should of gotten Dendenne instead.
That;s not right. Sakurai has had enough time to develop that we don't need another Pikachu clone, which it likely would be, but there's always the chance that it wouldn't, but that chance is low, low, low. I was personally hoping for Greninja, along with Pangoro and Hawlucha, and Barbacle, for some reason.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Fire Emblem Debates: will still happen even after a leak
Yes, they will!:p

People should deserve no character from Fire Emblem: Awakening, but apparently we're forced to get the most unoriginal one.

Because, you know, it's not like we have ****ing Marth and Ike or anything.
I actually wonder how Chrom would be handled gameplay-wise.

Also, I have to go with False Sense and agree with him about both Chrom and Robin being the main characters.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
People and their ****ing 'leaks'... Am I the ONLY ONE here that thinks this **** has run out of hand?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Along with this are some... disorderlies.
Ghirahim- If Zelda were to get another newcomer, it'd probably be him. Why? Because he's fabulous he's unique, newer, and extremely popular. He has a good moveset and a fanbase that's really big.
Dillon- Two games on 3DS eShop, both being top in sales for a long bit. He, suprisingly enough, is a brainchild of Miyamoto, and that gives him some precedence, but not much.
Alph- Pikmin 3 sold a lot. Like, wow. Plus, Rock Pikmin are nowhere to be seen, so it's always possible that he will appear using exclusively those.
Ghirahim is a big maybe. I wouldn't put much stock in him. The problem with your characters is that they are either not that well liked compared to others or have less of an impact. Consider Alph. They gave Olimar Winged Pikmin, which doesn't give Alph anything to work with. And
There's also...Isaac's son, Matthew from Golden Sun: Dark Dawn. That came out in 2010 and Golden Sun representation is highly requested.
You're gonna hate me for this, but Matthew wont get in. Golden Sun is a series that is on the decline. After Dark Dawn, there probably wont be another game. Golden Sun's time was during the time preceding Brawl. It's time has passed.
People and their ****ing 'leaks'... Am I the ONLY ONE here that thinks this **** has run out of hand?
No, it really has. There are too many people who want to believe it's real and they keep spouting it like the gospel.

Last edited:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Ghirahim is a big maybe. I wouldn't put much stock in him. The problem with your characters is that they are either not that well liked compared to others or have less of an impact. Consider Alph. They gave Olimar Winged Pikmin, which doesn't give Alph anything to work with.
Well, I was talking recency coupled with uniqueness, and I'm not putting stock in any of them, though I would like Dillon. And Alph would have Olimar's Red/Blue/Yellow Pikmin, along with being able to pluck Winged Pikmin and Rock Pikmin. I know this kinda defeats the purpose of Olimar's recovery, but they would work differently, due to the fact that they're always following you.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
While I disagree that 'Golden Sun's time has passed' I'm agreeing with Chu that too many people are indeed clinging to these 'leaks' as the gospel.

It's terrible. Almost as bad as Mii, PacMan and 'Chorus Men' actually getting in.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I don't really get a lot of peoples' issue with Pac-Man. Miis? That I can understand. I just have trouble justifying Pac-Man hate, personally. Though I can understand not liking the Ghostly Adventures design. :laugh:

The way I see it is this. There's clearly Namco stuff in the game; the Special Flag proves this. And who did they show as a Namco Assist in the press release? Galaga. If Pac weren't playable, I definitely think they'd show off him as the Namco Assist instead of Galaga. And you can't tell me he's not included at all...he's essentially their claim to fame. Pac's as good as confirmed, in my opinion.

kylexv

Smash Master
I agree that I don't like his Ghostly Adventures design. Ghostly Adventures brought the series downhill imo. Those circles by his arms. Disgusting.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm fine just so long as he doesn't have teeth.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That's kind of a worst case scenario when you take into account that Sonic's modern model is used over his classic model.
On the flipside, though, they used Classic Mega Man, mainly because he made the most sense. With Sonic, wasn't his classic model known more for SEGA systems? :p

That being said, I can see it as a toss-up between the World and GA designs for Pac at this point. Maybe a combination.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I don't really get a lot of peoples' issue with Pac-Man. Miis? That I can understand. I just have trouble justifying Pac-Man hate, personally. Though I can understand not liking the Ghostly Adventures design. :laugh:
A guy at GameFAQ made a really good point on why people don't like Pac-Man for Smash.

Or old enough to realize his modern 3D form is nothing but an obvious Capitalization on an iconic character's success, despite his iconic status being tied to his retro appeal and original game and not to him as a unique character.

TC, people don't hate PacMan. They hate the idea of him in Smash Bros.

It'd be as if Nintendo tried to Capitalize on Mr. G&W in modern games. His moves taken not from his old games, but simply random abilities that don't make much sense that just happen to be very similar to other popular games at the time. So, if such games were made and he were somehow stylized to be more modern and trendy, with 3D affects.... Then him and his games would be abominations. They would not be true to his original form, as is the Smash Bros version which takes his imagery and moves directly from his original games.
And while Mr. G&W is really cool in Smash Bros, as one of those interesting gimmicky characters... His appeal outside of Smash and his own retro games is non-existent. It would never work.

Now working in the other direction, let's say these Mr. G&W games came before Melee, and his inclusion in Melee was instead based on these abominable, horrible games and his trendy, cliche, and disfigured modern 3D incarnation.... Not just that, but let's say Nintendo never even owned this character, but instead a third-party owned him.

Would anyone EVER want him in Smash like that? The answer is an obvious 'No'.

This is the reason no one wants Pac-Man in Smash Bros.
1. His 3D form is a "trendy" abomination on the original character.
2. He has completely lost his iconic status.
3. He is not well designed in 3D form.
4. His games generally sucked horribly, and we also designed mostly for children, with basically no real backstory or anything at all.
5. He has no real moveset potential besides moves stolen from other platform game characters which never really even seemed to fit him in the first place.

People don't hate PacMan..... They hate what he has BECOME.

The way I see it is this. There's clearly Namco stuff in the game; the Special Flag proves this. And who did they show as a Namco Assist in the press release? Galaga. If Pac weren't playable, I definitely think they'd show off him as the Namco Assist instead of Galaga. And you can't tell me he's not included at all...he's essentially their claim to fame. Pac's as good as confirmed, in my opinion.
Not necessarily. The special flag is likely like the assist trophy from what we've seen. Heck, it could just as easily summon 8-bit Pac-Man. Galaga is also a popular game, so them showing off Galaga isn't a big deal. Also, they tend to not show of content for a new series before the character is shown.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The hate for the Mii should of passed considering the main stigma of them plaguing online with attention whoring should of been solved, i.e. customization isn't allowed on random online and there is a report button to punish any rude behavior. That was honestly in my opinion my main problem with the idea in inclusion.

Last edited:

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Not necessarily. The special flag is likely like the assist trophy from what we've seen. Heck, it could just as easily summon 8-bit Pac-Man. Galaga is also a popular game, so them showing off Galaga isn't a big deal. Also, they tend to not show of content for a new series before the character is shown.
But then that would mean that Namco is indeed getting special treatment as instead of using the common AT design, Why wouldn't they add a character now that they are getting special treatment? Also "They tend to not show of content for a new series before the character is shown" Little Mac would like to disagree, it would be like saying that if we saw the gray fox assist trophy returing it would mean nothing to snake chances (just an example of course)

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
But then that would mean that Namco is indeed getting special treatment as instead of using the common AT design, Why wouldn't they add a character now that they are getting special treatment? Also "They tend to not show of content for a new series before the character is shown" Little Mac would like to disagree, it would be like saying that if we saw the gray fox assist trophy returing it would mean nothing to snake chances (just an example of course)
It's very likely it's the opposite. They aren't adding a character and are instead just doing the special flag as a neat little extra.

As for content before character, remember that before Mac was shown, this was the stage,

Notice how there are no references to Punch Out on it. When it was shown in the E3 direct, it didn't have music either.
I have no idea what your trying to say with the Grey Fox thing.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
If I could play as freaking 2D Pacman that would be freaking awesome.

Otherwise that GameFaqs guy is completely correct on why I don't really want him. I still think the people who want him are mostly people who played Pac World as a kid, and thus, childhood nostalgia value.

I still think classic Pacman is a special flag summon anyways

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
This brotha. The leaks are like cancer in the Smashboards community.
It's like every arguement almost is based on it nowadays! 'King K.Rool? Well according to leak 1 and 3 he will not make it, but if leak 4 is true he has a chance!' Just wtf is this mentality? Brawl had SOOO many so called "leaks" like these, but nobody believed them! Unless with hard proof. Which all these "leaks" lack.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It's like every arguement almost is based on it nowadays! 'King K.Rool? Well according to leak 1 and 3 he will not make it, but if leak 4 is true he has a chance!' Just wtf is this mentality? Brawl had SOOO many so called "leaks" like these, but nobody believed them! Unless with hard proof. Which all these "leaks" lack.
The guy stated the Wii Fit Trainer would be shown at E3. That's proof if I ever heard it. That's really not something you guess, especially combined with Villager and Mega Man. Not to mention the Greninja thing.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
It's very likely it's the opposite. They aren't adding a character and are instead just doing the special flag as a neat little extra.

As for content before character, remember that before Mac was shown, this was the stage,

Notice how there are no references to Punch Out on it. When it was shown in the E3 direct, it didn't have music either.
I have no idea what your trying to say with the Grey Fox thing.
Not even close my friend, Why would they only add items and not characters? Sakurai said that namco wouldn't be getting any special treatment but for some reason they have their own AT design, none of the stages had music in the e3 trailer and it was clearly a punching ring since the start which was alreay a reference to punch out at least
What I said was, If you say grey fox returning as an AT would you say that Snake is not likely? If you saw Shadow AT in september would you had say that sonic is not likely? You are basically saying that you don't want pacman in the game and it would be easier for everyone that instead of posting a text wall you simply said "I don't want Pacman", Why wouldn't they add Pacman?
-He is iconic
-He is extremely popular, he had appear in many tv series like family guy and the simpsons and even there is even a reference of him in the popular manga/anime of toriko
-It would be easy to get the permission for using him as Namco is helping with the game
-It would benefit both companies
Pacman is very likely at this point, it doesn't matter if you don't think so because he is, oh and with the "they normally don't show content of a new series without a character" I guess Mii's are deconfirmed uh?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Pacman is very likely at this point, it doesn't matter if you don't think so because he is, oh and with the "they normally don't show content of a new series without a character" I guess Mii's are deconfirmed uh?
I might argue that one, actually.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
I wish the next FE lord would just be a wizard.
I've never played a FE game, though I'd like to. Would a Wizard Lord present mechanical problems?
In Fire Emblem? In the ones I've played its been hit or miss. Micaiah was a mediocre unit at best while Robin is broken beyond anything(though Awakening is kind of a busted game in general). As for the Japan-only games though I have no idea. I'd take either of the above over Chrom in Smash though.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Not even close my friend, Why would they only add items and not characters? Sakurai said that namco wouldn't be getting any special treatment but for some reason they have their own AT design, none of the stages had music in the e3 trailer and it was clearly a punching ring since the start which was alreay a reference to punch out at least
What I said was, If you say grey fox returning as an AT would you say that Snake is not likely? If you saw Shadow AT in september would you had say that sonic is not likely? You are basically saying that you don't want pacman in the game and it would be easier for everyone that instead of posting a text wall you simply said "I don't want Pacman", Why wouldn't they add Pacman?
-He is iconic
-He is extremely popular, he had appear in many tv series like family guy and the simpsons and even there is even a reference of him in the popular manga/anime of toriko
-It would be easy to get the permission for using him as Namco is helping with the game
Seeing as the special flag is a summoning item like pokeballs and assist trophies, Its REALLY likely for Pacman to be a summon. I think those might have hurt his chances more than it helped for that reason alone.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
-He is iconic
First, we're not going to get into a Pac-man argument so you can leave that at the door.

First, you are missing the point. They don't show of any of the content before the character for NEW series. Metal Gear Solid isn't new. The same is true for the Mario Galaxy stage. They showed it off before Rosalina, but that's because it can easily apply to Mario as well. But they didn't show off the Wii Fit or Megaman stages before that character's trailer. The boxing ring was just that, a boxing ring. It was covered in Smash stuff.

As for "Why would they on'y add items and not characters." Well, why not. Does there really need to be a Namco character in the first place. This is likely giving homage to Namco (as they developed the game) with out a character. Not to mention programming 8 bit Galaga ships to attack probably isn't that hard. It's likely just a neat addition. It doesn't have to be anything more.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I still think the people who want him are mostly people who played Pac World as a kid, and thus, childhood nostalgia value.
That seems to be a baseless statement, I'd say. I've seen other people want the inclusion for other reasons, him being an iconic figure, people wanting a Mario vs. Sonic vs. Mega Man vs. Pac-Man battle royale, some people want to have Pac-Man properly fight after the little hiccup with Street Fighter x Tekken, and then there are the people that simply like Pac-Man.

As for me, I'd like the inclusion because I can see options the character can use, I really like the idea of a stage based on the psychedelic mazes from Pac-Man Championship Edition, and I want some people to stop stroking their ****.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Why would Sakurai go through those negotiations for only an item? He's mentioned before that negotiations with other companies is difficult. I don't think he'd do it for anything less than a character.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
First, we're not going to get into a Pac-man argument so you can leave that at the door.

First, you are missing the point. They don't show of any of the content before the character for NEW series. Metal Gear Solid isn't new. The same is true for the Mario Galaxy stage. They showed it off before Rosalina, but that's because it can easily apply to Mario as well. But they didn't show off the Wii Fit or Megaman stages before that character's trailer. The boxing ring was just that, a boxing ring. It was covered in Smash stuff.

As for "Why would they on'y add items and not characters." Well, why not. Does there really need to be a Namco character in the first place. This is likely giving homage to Namco (as they developed the game) with out a character. Not to mention programming 8 bit Galaga ships to attack probably isn't that hard. It's likely just a neat addition. It doesn't have to be anything more.
And in the end it was a punch out stage, it always had punch out elements and nearly everyone was betting it was a punch out stage
Did they really need to add a Capcom, a Sega, a Konami character in the first place? No, this is likely hinting a Namco character, you are basically only saying "I don't want a Namco character" that is literally what you are saying, oh and by the way galaga is it own series so tecnically they are not showing any content from any new namco series, they are not showing any content of Tales, Xenosaga , Pacman etc which means that your argument is pointless

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Why would Sakurai go through those negotiations for only an item? He's mentioned before that negotiations with other companies is difficult. I don't think he'd do it for anything less than a character.
Here is how the conversation could work.
Namco employee-Here Sakurai, we could do this "Show of Galaga and other classic Namco things."
Sakurai-This seems really cool. Let me go down the hall and see if that's OK.

Namco doesn't have a lot of characters people really want and they did make the game, so it's easy to add something like this that people will find fun. If they are all 8-bit, then it's not like it's hard to program. Though we don't know the extent of the special flag yet.

And in the end it was a punch out stage, it always had punch out elements and nearly everyone was betting it was a punch out stage
Did they really need to add a Capcom, a Sega, a Konami character in the first place? No, this is likely hinting a Namco character, you are basically only saying "I don't want a Namco character" that is literally what you are saying, oh and by the way galaga is it own series so tecnically they are not showing any content from any new namco series, they are not showing any content of Tales, Xenosaga , Pacman etc which means that your argument is pointless
First, write coherent sentences. Learn how to use punctuation.
Again, the fact that it wasn't a Punch-Out stage wasn't revealed until Mac was shown. As far as I see, it's covered in Smash stuff. They never showed any Punch-Out content until Little Mac was shown. Also, why would they reveal a Namco item that summons Namco characters before the playable Namco character? It doesn't make sense. The special flag would clearly be related to the same series as the Namco playable character. Why not show it off with the character? It implies there isn't one.

Also, why is it always "YOU JUST HATE PAC-MAN," with you? Makes me think it's more that you want him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom