• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
That's not a real good idea in my opinion.
See, Chrom has quite a bit going for him. He's the most recent FE lord and the star of THE most successful Fire Emblem game ever.
Roy was in Smash Bros Melee. That's all he has going for him. He's popular, but for almost no other reason than being playable in Melee.
Nobody would give a rat's *** about him if he never showed up.
He's still amazing in Project M though.
Well, Lucina is also the star of Awakening and is a lord and also the star of Awakening. She's also used more than Chrom for promotion, iirc. She's also arguably the most popular character in the game. We can do without Chrom.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
Those expectations are far too low though; if we were to receive no more cuts, we only have 2 newcomers left to be revealed. 48 is much more reasonable, but consider what Sakurai must do to the game to move units. There aren't many game-play changes, we don't have anything big like the Smash Ball or SSE and we are the 4th installment in. If I recall correctly; Sakurai also stated that he might have to adjust his expectations if necessary (in regards to a larger roster). I feel as though 50 is completely reasonable, that would be the smallest roster increase to date. Anything less is a little dramatic.

I wouldn't be saying this if a story-mode was in the game. I wouldn't be saying this if there were new modes. I wouldn't be saying this if he revealed new game-play elements. Hell, we haven't even received any news in regards to the stage builder or mini-game modes (break the target, etc.), I doubt they are gone, but if they are, that is even worse. The franchise needs to innovate, it shouldn't be moving backwards.

If there isn't significant change that appeals to the consumer base, the least he could do is give us a satisfying roster that will last us years to come. A lackluster roster on top of minimal changes, and even cuts, isn't going to CUT it. Haha, see what I did there?
I agree, and I doubt he'll cut out those two modes, they're basically staples of the franchise. Sakurai knows what the fanbase wants, and he tries to appease our every demand (mostly.) I doubt he'd be satisfied with a smaller roster.

@GoldenYuiitusin Not as innovative as SSE, which was a huge chunk of data. They are certainly fresh additions to Smash, however.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well, Lucina is also the star of Awakening and is a lord and also the star of Awakening. She's also used more than Chrom for promotion, iirc. She's also arguably the most popular character in the game. We can do without Chrom.
Well, she's definitely important to Awakening and is definitely promoted as such, but I don't think she matches up to Chrom. She's not even present for a significant portion of the game. I find it hard to believe we'd get her before Chrom.

Also, redundant redundancy?

Last edited:

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Those expectations are far too low though; if we were to receive no more cuts, we only have 2 newcomers left to be revealed. 48 is much more reasonable, but consider what Sakurai must do to the game to move units. There aren't many game-play changes, we don't have anything big like the Smash Ball or SSE and we are the 4th installment in. If I recall correctly; Sakurai also stated that he might have to adjust his expectations if necessary (in regards to a larger roster). I feel as though 50 is completely reasonable, that would be the smallest roster increase to date. Anything less is a little dramatic.

I wouldn't be saying this if a story-mode was in the game. I wouldn't be saying this if there were new modes. I wouldn't be saying this if he revealed new game-play elements. Hell, we haven't even received any news in regards to the stage builder or mini-game modes (break the target, etc.), I doubt they are gone, but if they are, that is even worse. The franchise needs to innovate, it shouldn't be moving backwards.

If there isn't significant change that appeals to the consumer base, the least he could do is give us a satisfying roster that will last us years to come. A lackluster roster on top of minimal changes, and even cuts, isn't going to CUT it. Haha, see what I did there?
Oh i dont deny that, i definitely have my expectations low just based on how brawl was handled. I just think in this case its going to be quality over quantity. We already have pokemon trainer gone and possibly two of his pokemon so theres that which might make a lower number not be as bad if those spots had newcomers. Hopefully ganondorf will feel like a newcomer as well if he gets a full treatment this time. I agree the franchise needs to innovate, but sakurai has kinda painted himself in a corner IMO by sticking so close to past things and the lack of change in some areas. There will still be many many things for us to enjoy even if the roster isnt huge, hopefully the entire refining of the gameplay will make it feel completely different as well.

I really think its telling with the newcomer trailers though, with how ornate and probably how much money they spent to make them i highly doubt there will be something like 20 of those, and it would be a waste to not have some newcomers get one. Our window between now and august at the latest for the 3DS one is getting smaller by the day, E3 really needs to push out as many characters as they can.

Morbi

Scavenger
Because moveset customization and Smash Run aren't innovative.
Smash Run is a glorified mini-game on ONE version of the game. I am talking about game-modes that inherently change the game. Historically, people buy games for the campaign. I believe this is half the reason Brawl was so successful. It promised a great single-player mode that tells the story of our favorite Nintendo characters. A rip-off of a Kirby Air Ride game is no where near the same. You are competent, I hope you are not comparing the two.

Move-set customization is not available to every player; you can't use it online. I will admit, it is an innovation for me, individually, as I play offline quite frequently. It doesn't inherently change the game in the same way that the Smash Ball does, that is an innovative game-play mechanic. Albeit it is an interesting concept. I highly doubt it will move many units though. It is quite literally one of the only positive changes of the game, and he attenuates its value by restricting it. I can understand no move-set customization in "For Glory," but it is missing in "For FUN."

If the roster doesn't change, people can always play the game they already own, Brawl. It NEEDS something to thoroughly distinguish itself. Not an obligatory mode for each system or a (presumably) gimmicky customization mechanic not applicable to every consumer.

The game will sell fine, I worry about its longevity much more than its sales. But I am not Nintendo, and I am not necessarily a Nintendo fan. So I suppose it is entirely irrelevant what I believe. If I am incorrect; I will offer a random hobo sexual favors. I am not wrong, it is utterly obvious what the game is doing wrong. Hopefully they are just keeping all of their game-selling innovations a secret for some reason.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So in other words "whatever the Hell I want and like".
Since innovation doesn't count unless you say it does.
K.

Last edited by a moderator:

Morbi

Scavenger
So in other words "whatever the Hell I want and like".
Since innovation doesn't count unless you say it does.
K.
No; I mean we are into the fourth installment into Smash. Each predecessor has offered MUCH more than a rip-off mini-game on only one console. If you cannot see that, I do actually question your competence. If you believe that innovation is merely customization that isn't offered to every individual player, if you truly believe that is enough to differentiate this from a game that released 6 years ago, if you honestly believe that a roster is irrelevant to the longevity of a game... I pity the fool.

I forgot to mention; the game is also quite literally moving backwards with the removal of SSE. I am glad it is gone, but removing such a pivotal part of a game in exchange for "innovation" is certainly a form of cognitive dissonance. Unless he has something up his sleeve, which I do not doubt.

Last edited:

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
@ Morbi Morbi Ah, but you forget that online matches stand a good chance at being... you know, compared to brawl, actually playable. That's something huge.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
No; I mean we are into the fourth installment into Smash. Each predecessor has offered MUCH more than a rip-off mini-game on only one console. If you cannot see that, I do actually question your competence. If you believe that innovation is merely customization that isn't offered to every individual player, if you truly believe that is enough to differentiate this from a game that released 6 years ago, if you honestly believe that a roster is irrelevant to the longevity of a game... I pity the fool.
I'm just gonna keep back and watch the raging inferno transpire.

Uh oh, that was off topic- uh-uhhhhh- LUCINA.

D

Deleted member

I forgot to mention; the game is also quite literally moving backwards with the removal of SSE. I am glad it is gone, but removing such a pivotal part of a game in exchange for "innovation" is certainly a form of cognitive dissonance. Unless he has something up his sleeve, which I do not doubt.
If Smash Run isn't innovative for being a "Kirby Air Ride rip-off", then I really fail to see how SSE, a.k.a. "Kirby Super Star rip-off" is.
Logically speaking, few bought Brawl for SSE, which has been heavily criticized. They bought it for the multiplayer. As in, what people really care about for the franchise.

Who in their right mind buys a fighting game for the story?

EDIT: Also, I'm not even arguing in the context of the roster, so you can shove your pity somewhere else. I'm arguing against the fallacy that Smash Wii U/3DS has nothing innovative about it.

Morbi

Scavenger
@ Morbi Morbi Ah, but you forget that online matches stand a good chance at being... you know, compared to brawl, actually playable. That's something huge.
Yes; any improvement to the net-code is going to be important. I honestly do not play online because the experience isn't great. I still believe that Sakurai is going to have at least 50 characters, 50-54. 50 on the modest side, or 54 which I do not entirely anticipate. My main point is that the game cannot have a slight increase in roster without offering up SOMETHING different. Their innovation is quite literally having the game on both consoles, that is really nifty for anyone planning to purchase both. A bit of a detriment for everyone else though.

thesandman

Smash Cadet

You do realize that the 3ds has limitations so the wii u version will most likely be alot better.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
If Smash Run isn't innovative for being a "Kirby Air Ride rip-off", then I really fail to see how SSE, a.k.a. "Kirby Super Star rip-off" is.
Logically speaking, few bought Brawl for SSE, which has been heavily criticized. They bought it for the multiplayer. As in, what people really care about for the franchise.

Well you never know, the idea of all famous Nintendo mascots collaborating together in one game is a pretty exciting thought. I'm sure there were a few people who bought it for that reason.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
She...actually didn't do much in her own game.

I mean, she warned Chrom about the future...and that's it? She was about to kill the avatar too but that was a bad lol.

Morbi

Scavenger

EDIT: Also, I'm not even arguing in the context of the roster, so you can shove your pity somewhere else. I'm arguing against the fallacy that Smash Wii U/3DS has nothing innovative about it.
You are correct, no reasonable person would buy a fighting game for a story, but they appeal to the casual consumer base. Injustice is the prime example if we were to exclude Brawl. It is just something to justify the purchase I suppose. The multiplayer is definitely the most prominent aspect, but removing SSE still objectively moves the franchise backwards.

I will go ahead and admit that Smash Run is innovative. I still do not believe that it is enough, I can't see it being something that people play more than once. It is fallacious to assert this without any logical basis. But it certainly isn't comparable to SSE. NOWHERE near it.

In response to your edit, would you ever so kindly indicate where I stated or alluded to such?

thesandman

Smash Cadet
Yes; any improvement to the net-code is going to be important. I honestly do not play online because the experience isn't great. I still believe that Sakurai is going to have at least 50 characters, 50-54. 50 on the modest side, or 54 which I do not entirely anticipate. My main point is that the game cannot have a slight increase in roster without offering up SOMETHING different. Their innovation is quite literally having the game on both consoles, that is really nifty for anyone planning to purchase both. A bit of a detriment for everyone else though.
Also the innovation that was sse was a large chunck of data. It was really good but the majority of the programming time was spent on subspace. The new ssb games are much more evened out allowing for better all around game play. Not just a graphically amazing story that can be finished pretty easily and quickly.

I accidentally replied to the wrong comment of yours sorry.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
SSE wasn't worth it at all.

It played like a terrible Kirby game. The level design was some of the worst I've seen.

Well, she is the reason why everyone doesn't die. I'd consider that pretty important.
Chrom did all the work though. Though Awakening is pretty complicated and highly unfocused when it comes to the character and the plot as a whole. It was incoherent and messy.

I don't want Chrom to tell you the truth, he's such a poorly written character, but I'll only get sad if he replaces Ike. Otherwise I'm alright with any Awakening character as much as I don't like most of them. (Though I'm all for Anna I guess)

Morbi

Scavenger
Also the innovation that was sse was a large chunck of data. It was really good but the majority of the programming time was spent on subspace. The new ssb games are much more evened out allowing for better all around game play. Not just a graphically amazing story that can be finished pretty easily and quickly.
I am not advocating for Subspace; I was merely asserting that it objectively moves the franchise backwards, something antithetical to innovation.

You do realize that the 3ds has limitations so the wii u version will most likely be alot better.
Yes; I am wholeheartedly aware. Therein lies one of the evident detriments of the game, in my opinion. The 3DS is a console owned by most, whereas the Wii U is not. The 3DS retails at $40, whilst the Wii U version retails at $60. The 3DS launches during the non-competitive summer season, the Wii U launches during the highly competitive holiday season. If the roster is the same; most of the casual consumers probably wont bother with the Wii U version. It is very overt that the 3DS is going to dominate sales. Thus, I don't believe many will actually wish to experience the Wii U version aside from most of the hardcore Smash fans. That is just a logical theory, I could be completely wrong. I hope I am to be perfectly honest.

thesandman

Smash Cadet
Ok ok now I've asked this question before, but falco, i love him to death and i need him to be back. He is faster than fox and honestly more swag(haha). Chances?

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki

I will say this is probably true, I know I bought Brawl cuz it was Smash Bros. I honestly knew nothing about what it was offering in single player mode that was beyond Melee.
To a great extent I think the name alone is enough to still sell units this time around.

Morbi

Scavenger
Ok ok now I've asked this question before, but falco, i love him to death and i need him to be back. He is faster than fox and honestly more swag(haha). Chances?
Honestly; he is in the game. Wolf offers a lot more, but that is immaterial. Falco is the fan-favorite. Someone earlier mentioned that there was no need for clone characters that share the same physics as we now have move-set customization. Hypothetically speaking, Fox could have Falco's blaster or kick his reflector reminiscent of Falco. He is a melee veteran, most believe them to be safe as we have had more than a decade to become accustomed to them.

thesandman

Smash Cadet
Yes; I am wholeheartedly aware. Therein lies one of the evident detriments of the game, in my opinion. The 3DS is a console owned by most, whereas the Wii U is not. The 3DS retails at $40, whilst the Wii U version retails at $60. The 3DS launches during the non-competitive summer season, the Wii U launches during the highly competitive holiday season. If the roster is the same; most of the casual consumers probably wont bother with the Wii U version. It is very overt that the 3DS is going to dominate sales. Thus, I don't believe many will actually wish to experience the Wii U version aside from most of the hardcore Smash fans. That is just a logical theory, I could be completely wrong. I hope I am to be perfectly honest.
I doubt the wii u version will fail. Well sales wise it will most likely be the most successful game on the wii u this year. Mainly because the wii u hasnt sold very well. The Wii u needs a game like smash bros to help it raise its sells. The wii u is a next gen system that is failing. It hasnt implemented anything very well. So with a famous nintendo series like smash bros, the sales could go way up. So lets hope ssb wii u succeeds

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I'm somewhat glad Subspace is gone, but I want more than Melee's Adventure mode. I think a mix of the two would suffice. I actually liked Subspace a lot throughout my first run.
Eh, to get back on topic,
Do you all think Game & Watch will be back with a new Flatzone?

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Well, she's definitely important to Awakening and is definitely promoted as such, but I don't think she matches up to Chrom. She's not even present for a significant portion of the game. I find it hard to believe we'd get her before Chrom.

Friends, romans, countrymen, lend me your ears! I have the perfect solution.
IconChrom & Lucina (2).png

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm somewhat glad Subspace is gone, but I want more than Melee's Adventure mode. I think a mix of the two would suffice. I actually liked Subspace a lot throughout my first run.
I certainly expect Flatzone 3; Flatzone 2 will probably be returning as well!

I hope not, Game & Watch is a character that I recently warmed up to, but his stages are not too fun. I wouldn't mind Flatzone 3 if one of the previous ones doesn't return.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I imagine the new Flatzone will be 3ds exclusive.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

You mean, present for the entire game, just not playable.
And Chrom isn't even the main character, that is undoubtedly Robin.

She...actually didn't do much in her own game.
Really?
She has an active role in the story, is the focus of multiple DLC chapters, and appears in almost every actual cutscene.

Last edited:

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
How about a stage called "Flatzone Collection", due to the many GaW collections. I'd Prefer a flat stage with two platforms that then transform to different stage hazards.
As for GaW. Himself, he needs a female counterpart :p

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
The Wii U version still needs something that will make it different than the 3ds version other than stages, it still needs a new mode that will make people excited about it

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman

I feel like it's unfair to claim that because subspace emissary is being removed, there will be a huge leap in innovation in other departments. Honestly speaking, I suspect casuals will play Smash Run more than they played SSE; most of my friends who own Brawl unlocked the vast bulk of characters in multiplayer matches because they found the story mode tedious, boring, and unfun. Claiming that the series is moving backwards because they are removing it seems unfair; the series is simply changing. There is almost certainly going to be a more Melee-esque adventure mode, which was far more successful than SSE. I honestly speaking do not know anyone who liked SSE, and claiming it was a pivotal part of Smash seems extremely odd, especially given that a 'pivotal' part of a game would presumably be introduced in the first installment. Making the decision to not repeat mistakes is not moving backwards; whether or not you consider removing SSE as a backwards move is based on the premise it was not a mistake. I view it as progress, and that trying to have an intense, dramatic story mode was simply some growing pains the franchise needed to go through, not unlike some of the more foolish things people attach themselves to during puberty.

Gune

Smash Lord
I hope Flat zone returns the music and the overall set of the stage was just great, game n watch I'm pretty sure he's back again.

Morbi

Scavenger

Really?
She has an active role in the story, is the focus of multiple DLC chapters, and appears in almost every actual cutscene.
Chrom doesn't need to be the main character; he is the most prominent character. That is all that is relevant.

I feel like it's unfair to claim that because subspace emissary is being removed, there will be a huge leap in innovation in other departments. Honestly speaking, I suspect casuals will play Smash Run more than they played SSE; most of my friends who own Brawl unlocked the vast bulk of characters in multiplayer matches because they found the story mode tedious, boring, and unfun. Claiming that the series is moving backwards because they are removing it seems unfair; the series is simply changing. There is almost certainly going to be a more Melee-esque adventure mode, which was far more successful than SSE. I honestly speaking do not know anyone who liked SSE, and claiming it was a pivotal part of Smash seems extremely odd, especially given that a 'pivotal' part of a game would presumably be introduced in the first installment. Making the decision to not repeat mistakes is not moving backwards; whether or not you consider removing SSE as a backwards move is based on the premise it was not a mistake. I view it as progress, and that trying to have an intense, dramatic story mode was simply some growing pains the franchise needed to go through, not unlike some of the more foolish things people attach themselves to during puberty.
I apologize, I meant a pivotal aspect of Brawl. Not Smash, that was negligence on my part. I understand that the franchise is changing, evolving. However, I also believe that it objectively moves the game backwards. Subspace apparently took 3/5 of the development time, where is that in Smash 4? I hope it didn't all go to Smash Run and move-set customization. That is all I am trying to convey. Again, I am not advocating SSE, I am glad it is gone.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Is that why only Chrom is required to be taken into each level? He's the main character, if it came down to one.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Really?
Lucina's role in the story was one thing: To serve as the gateway to the future in the story.

After the whole thing happened, she might have been present every time, but she DIDN'T do anything. You might as well kill her off from the story early in the game and it wouldn't make a difference. That scene with Robin was cringe worthy and was worthless. A boring character and underdeveloped.

Didn't do the DLC since I didn't like the main game anyway.

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
The Wii U version still needs something that will make it different than the 3ds version other than stages, it still needs a new mode that will make people excited about it
I agree.
I sincerely believe that mode will be controlling bosses with the game-pad.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
I agree.
I sincerely believe that mode will be controlling bosses with the game-pad.
To be honest I doubt it, remember than when you beat a boss hazard it is supposed to help the player that beated him, if you can control the boss then the purpose of boss hazard would be pointless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom