• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Not to mention, if Pac-Man was indeed part of the Special Flag item, why wouldn't they showcase him as opposed to the Galaga ship?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I think the are very likely at this point
I would argue that since the Find Mii stage, the stage that is probably most associated with Miis, has a symbol that doesn't suit the Miis, the Miis are less likely to be playable at this point. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense for a Mii-centric stage like that to not have a symbol that could be used by Mii characters, in my opinion.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
That seems to be a baseless statement, I'd say. I've seen other people want the inclusion for other reasons, him being an iconic figure, people wanting a Mario vs. Sonic vs. Mega Man vs. Pac-Man battle royale, some people want to have Pac-Man properly fight after the little hiccup with Street Fighter x Tekken, and then there are the people that simply like Pac-Man.

As for me, I'd like the inclusion because I can see options the character can use, I really like the idea of a stage based on the psychedelic mazes from Pac-Man Championship Edition, and I want some people to stop stroking their ****.
I said "most" and that doesn't mean everybody. I apologize if that was hurtful to you for whatever reason.

Also who's stroking roosters here? Not me!

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
Am I the only one who doesn't completely rule out the idea of Pac-Man being in his traditional 8-bit form as his design!

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Here is how the conversation could work.
Namco employee-Here Sakurai, we could do this "Show of Galaga and other classic Namco things."
Sakurai-This seems really cool. Let me go down the hall and see if that's OK.

Namco doesn't have a lot of characters people really want and they did make the game, so it's easy to add something like this that people will find fun. If they are all 8-bit, then it's not like it's hard to program. Though we don't know the extent of the special flag yet.
Or it could be like this
Namco Employee- Hey why don't we add a character like lloyd or pacman, it would be cool, wouldn't it?
Sakurai- Good idea, let me see what I can do about that
@ False Sense False Sense Does Mii even have a symbol? Let's still remember that the mii from the find mii stage somehow dissapears in 1 of the pictures, mii's are far being unlikely

Last edited:

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
Why would Sakurai go through those negotiations for only an item? He's mentioned before that negotiations with other companies is difficult. I don't think he'd do it for anything less than a character.
Negotiations? Namco is the company developing the game. I wouldn't be surprised if Namco's lawyers were told to OK all Sakurai's requests.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Not to mention, if Pac-Man was indeed part of the Special Flag item, why wouldn't they showcase him as opposed to the Galaga ship?
You're thinking too hard about it.

But whatever. Here's a reason, I guess. If they showed Pacman from the flag they would do it where a lot more (casual) people could see it, maybe POTD and not something like a press release.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Here is how the conversation could work.
Namco employee-Here Sakurai, we could do this "Show of Galaga and other classic Namco things."
Sakurai-This seems really cool. Let me go down the hall and see if that's OK.

Namco doesn't have a lot of characters people really want and they did make the game, so it's easy to add something like this that people will find fun. If they are all 8-bit, then it's not like it's hard to program. Though we don't know the extent of the special flag yet.
Negotiations? Namco is the company developing the game. I wouldn't be surprised if Namco's lawyers were told to OK all Sakurai's requests.
You should both know that it's not that easy. Sure, it's easier than getting Mega Man or Sonic in the game, but they still have to get the okay from the higher ups of both companies and Sakurai still has to pay a pretty penny for the use of all those characters.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
@ False Sense False Sense Does Mii even have a symbol? Let's still remember that the mii from the find mii stage somehow dissapears in 1 of the pictures, mii's are far being unlikely
No, they don't have a defined symbol at this point. However, whatever it would be, it almost certainly wouldn't be the Find Mii crown.

And the Mii being absent from the cage in that one picture doesn't automatically mean that they're playable. An alternative explanation would be that the Mii could be freed from the cage during battle and have an impact on the fight. There's also the small possibility that the picture we saw so long ago was of a stage that wasn't quite complete yet, and perhaps the Miis were not added into the cage yet. There's more than one way of looking at this situation, really.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Again, Galaga is also a popular series. It's not some conspiracy. It's just good for screenshots.
Or it could be like this
Namco Employee- Hey why don't we add a character like lloyd or pacman, it would be cool, wouldn't it?
Sakurai- Good idea, let me see what I can do about that
I think you need a jump to conclusions mat. Sakurai has said, numerous times, that he isn't going to add just any third party character to Smash. He even specifically said:

Just like with Mega Man or any other third-party character, it would have to be a very special situation

That's likely why they added the special flag. Not to mention that they showed it in a screenshot and not in the Direct where it would have been far more interesting. If it's related to a character, it would have been best to show it off then. The assumption you and a lot of others are taking is "There must be a Namco character." There doesn't have to be and the flag doesn't specifically imply that.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
What of the leaker was working @ Namco, iirc Namco has like 100-150 workers for Ssb. So there could be this one guy who's hearing all this and that and maybe saw a Mii and PACman on screen, which could mean that the Mii could be on that 3ds stage "Find Mii". Also maybe he didn't know rosalina when he/she saw her on screen and could've thought that was peach alternate costume not knowing anything about Nintendo char rosalina. Cuz I didn't even know rosalina either until she showed up in smash. Lol

Just another possible story of the leaker.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
What of the leaker was working @ Namco, iirc Namco has like 100-150 workers for Ssb. So there could be this one guy who's hearing all this and that and maybe saw a Mii and PACman on screen, which could mean that the Mii could be on that 3ds stage "Find Mii". Also maybe he didn't know rosalina when he/she saw her on screen and could've thought that was peach alternate costume not knowing anything about Nintendo char rosalina. Cuz I didn't even know rosalina either until she showed up in smash. Lol

Just another possible story of the leaker.
What kind of person working at Namco would only see glimpses of the game and not know what the actual contents of the game are?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Again, Galaga is also a popular series. It's not some conspiracy. It's just good for screenshots.
It's not nearly as popular. Sure it gets the item's point across, but if Pac-Man were an Assist from the Special Flag, he'd be a better pick to showcase the item. Hence why I think Pac-Man's playable, not even mentioning the Sal leak.

I think you need a jump to conclusions mat. Sakurai has said, numerous times, that he isn't going to add just any third party character to Smash. He even specifically said:

Just like with Mega Man or any other third-party character, it would have to be a very special situation
That's also implying that Pac-Man is "just anybody." It's not like they're asking for the Battletoads. He's Pac-Man. The iconicness alone makes him a special situation, only aided by the fact that his negotiations would be easier than most other third parties. It is by and large a special situation.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace

That's likely why they added the special flag. Not to mention that they showed it in a screenshot and not in the Direct where it would have been far more interesting. If it's related to a character, it would have been best to show it off then. The assumption you and a lot of others are taking is "There must be a Namco character." There doesn't have to be and the flag doesn't specifically imply that.
You are basically saying that Pacman/Lloyd/Klonoa are just "anybody" but they aren't,Like he said all third party characters are a special situation, pacman/lloyd/klonoa or any namco character would be a special situation and they would be "any third party character" it would be a special namco character that is popular among gamers, Namco is getting content in the game and again, Why woould Sakurai bother to add only items or AT? For some reason sakurai forgot about a character and it only went for items and a AT, and finally neither Sonic/Megaman/Snake weren't necessary but we have them

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
Pac-man could get a retroish stage where he's a major hazard. Would be a step above AT, as well as having the pro of avoiding the generally disliked 3D version. Sakurai once said that some series weren't fit for playable character representation, and what seems to be a common sentiment around here is that Pac-man isn't.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Pac-man could get a retroish stage where he's a major hazard. Would be a step above AT, as well as having the pro of avoiding the generally disliked 3D version. Sakurai once said that some series weren't fit for playable character representation, and what seems to be a common sentiment around here is that Pac-man isn't.
Did he said "Pacman isn't fit for playable representation"

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
What kind of person working at Namco would only see glimpses of the game and not know what the actual contents of the game are?
ok or could be just some Namco worker, that's not working on ssb, but just passing by happen to see some parts of the game in development. Maybe he didn't get into detail about the leak because he could get caught.

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
One thing for sure. I would take Pac-Man as a playable character in Super Smash Bros over Tingle any day. Tingle is my most against character. Sure, I would accept Tingle. Right after Skull Kid, Majora's Mask Young Link, Vaati, Ghirahim and Midna are playable.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
I know they are but it is very unlikely Sakurai would take the time to only add Pacman as a stage hazard
A month ago I would have agreed with you, but with him (seeming to be) hyping Ridley up as a stage hazard, he seems to hold the position in high esteem.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
This is honestly such a stupid argument.

For one thing, Sakurai said that Namco isn't getting any special treatment, that doesn't mean that PacMan is disconfirmed, that only means that the game will not bowl over on Namco characters. And as notable as PacMan is, Sakurai may as well choose him as the Namco representative. This would make a perfect all star battle between four company mascots from the most famous to least: Mario, Sonic, PacMan, and MegaMan. There's simply no reason that PacMan would be anything in smash but a playable character.

Which brings me to another thing, PacMan is simply the third most famous character possible for Smash, only playing second banana to Mario and Sonic. Being slightly infamous to Nintendo doesn't mean anything, PacMan's only real merit for Smash is FAME. He's not as important to Nintendo as Sonic, but he has a history with Nintendo nonetheless.

PacMan can be playable, as he is the only Namco representative we really need.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
A month ago I would have agreed with you, but with him (seeming to be) hyping Ridley up as a stage hazard, he seems to hold the position in high esteem.
Except that
a) Ridley is still not confirmed to be a hazard and b) Why would Sakurai bother in trying to get the permission to use pacman only as a hazard? There are better Namco characters that could work as hazards

D

Deleted member

Am I the only one who thinks that Little Mac is our retro character? Sakurai sure seems to be acting as if he is.
Considering that Punch-Out!!! has already received a game, no. Sakurai is looking for a character to revive in Smash, so it would't fit Sakurai's retro quota. That's something that would belong to someone like Takamaru or Mach Rider.
I don't see why the roster would be smaller. I think 50-55 is quite reasonable actually. There's a difference between fine tuning the game alone, and with a team that's done it for decades.

Please don't hurt me.
If we take into account Salromano leak (and four cuts), that brings us up to forty-seven characters. With Mewtwo and a retro character being hinted as being in as well, that brings us up into forty-nine characters. At that point, add that would need to happen is that there would need to be one less cut or one more newcomer and I really think that will happen as well. I'm thinking somewhere between forty-eight and fifty-three; which is definitely a realistic expectation.
I don't know, just looking at the amount of newcomers we have so far, it seems unlikely that we'll see such a significant increase, unless a ton of newcomers are being kept hidden for whatever reason. I mean, with Brawl, we got five newcomers in the first trailer alone. It's been almost a year since the first trailer of this installment, and we only have six newcomers. I don't think the numbers match up.
I actually wouldn't be surprise if Sakurai is deliberately keeping more newcomers hidden this time around. The reason why Brawl received such massive back lash initially for the roster (which granted, was far from entirely justified) was because of the few amount of newcomers that were hidden. Because of how many characters were revealed as starters for Brawl's roster, this built people's expectations to be high in regards to unlockable Brawl characters. When people found out that the only four unrevealed characters were Lucario, Wolf, Toon Link and R.O.B., people got seriously upset because their expectations were way too high due to the insane hype for Brawl. Sakurai probably realize this and as such, I wouldn't be surprised if the ratio of unlockable to starters additions was larger than 64 or Brawl (more like Melee's).
@GoldenYuiitusin Not as innovative as SSE, which was a huge chunk of data. They are certainly fresh additions to Smash, however.
Shouldn't you be thankful that SSE is gone? Brawl's development took way too much time on SSE; heck, the way Sakurai handled space in Brawl was a huge waste of time. Not to mention the enemies and the environment were mostly bland. Smash Run is so much better; more like the glorified Adventure Mode I wanted to see.
Fire Emblem Debates: will still happen even after a leak
To be fair, not everyone is going believe the leak (though they really should at this point) and even if Chrom gets confirmed tomorrow, there's still Ike and to a lesser extent, Roy to discuss.
So how does it feel to beat a dead horse, folks?
I mean, there's only ashes left, so what is there to even beat?
Actually, you forgot there still some bones left to beat up.
People should deserve no character from Fire Emblem: Awakening, but apparently we're forced to get the most unoriginal one.

Because, you know, it's not like we have ****ing Marth and Ike or anything.
Won't lie, I was actually kinda hoping for a Marth, Ike and Roy situation this time around partly to see the rage of the many Awakening fans who ride on the excuse of "muh recency" and "muh sales". After all the things Roy had going for him (contrary to what most people in the Smash fan base may think) and Robin and Lucina having been a dark horse candidate as well, I'm actually half-surprised Sakurai went with Chrom for this game.

At this rate, I only care about two things in regards to Fire Emblem; if Sakurai is actually going to do something original with Chrom (there better be a good reason to include him) and if Ike comes back.
Frankly, I don't like the idea of just Chrom because its so obvious.

He's essentially a fusion of Marth and Ike, both in his role in the game and character.

Also, because of Smash speculation.
I'll concede. Of all the characters in the Salromano leak, Chrom is the only one that I have doubts about turning well. Chrom is the poster boy for bandwagons that have formed for this game; those who support Chrom because they like him as a character/his potentials as a fighter are outnumbered by people who support him because of "teh inevitable". It's why it grates my mind to see "supporters" who claim to support Chrom, but only do so because he's the recent lord. All I'm really hoping now is that Sakurai sees Chrom in a different light than the bandwagoners.
I don't really get a lot of peoples' issue with Pac-Man. Miis? That I can understand. I just have trouble justifying Pac-Man hate, personally. Though I can understand not liking the Ghostly Adventures design. :laugh:

The way I see it is this. There's clearly Namco stuff in the game; the Special Flag proves this. And who did they show as a Namco Assist in the press release? Galaga. If Pac weren't playable, I definitely think they'd show off him as the Namco Assist instead of Galaga. And you can't tell me he's not included at all...he's essentially their claim to fame. Pac's as good as confirmed, in my opinion.
If you recall, I was heavily hostile towards the idea of Pac-Man. To be honest, I can't really think of anything much that's going for him that he didn't have in Brawl, which was clearly not enough for his inclusion. The only reason why Pac-Man is in the game is because contrary to what Sakurai said, Namco has been given special treatment.

I became more neutral towards Pac-Man over time, but I still don't care for Pac-Man's inclusion. Hopefully, Sakurai will find ways to make Pac-Man a fun character, considering that he (and everyone else on the Salromano leak) are as good as confirmed.

thesandman

Smash Cadet
GUYS GUYS GUYS. Best idea ever. Forget ice climbers alright. Lets get baby mario and baby luigi as our tag team brawlers!

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Oh yeah while the idea of Mii is in my head, I might as well suggest an idea of implementation. That proposition being the idea of creating a character that heavily emphasis on versatility, with a gimmick that provides it with more attacks over the standard 26 a character typically has. I'm talking about smash attacks and throws being more based on inputs, a huge expansion on the concept Little Mac has with his forward smash. Smash attacks would have up to 3 variants for each one, each having a different function.

Example:

Forward Smash (Forward): Swings a bat that functions as a standard forward smash.
Forward Smash (Down): Slams down a large mallet down that either buries the opponent when the opponent is on the ground or functions as a meteor smash when the opponent is in the air.
Forward Smash (Up): Throws out coins out from a bucket at a upward diagonal angle that sports short but wide range and hits multiple times, being capable of inflicting a large amount of damage but with low knockback.

Up Smash (Up): Lifts a large barbell over the Mii's head that inflicts heavy damage with decent range but is extremely slow.
Up Smash (Left): Uses a fishing rod and hooks the opponent above Mii, dragging them down and be tech'd into another attack.
Up Smash (Right): Mii uses pom-poms and preforms cheerleading, a three input attack where first an uppercut attack in front, then the same attack from behind behind, then a large jump raising both pom-poms.

Down Smash (Down): Uses hollahoops, which has a vacuum effect that drags the opponent towards Mii and hits multiples times, with a finishing blow that sends the opponent straight up.
Down Smash (Left): Throws oil out of an oil drum that inflicts little damage or knockback, but if it lands on the ground it causes a hazard that makes the opponent have very poor traction and occasionally slipping.
Down Smash (Right): Releases two springs on each side of Mii that sends the opponent straight up with high knockback.

Last edited:

thesandman

Smash Cadet
Is this in terms of the code? I was under the impression that Nana is coded as a separate character with AI that exists pseudo-independently, whereas the pikmin were overglorified items.

Since nana nor the pikmin can act independently, they are technically overglorified items. They had their own programming. But the key factor is independence

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
GUYS GUYS GUYS. Best idea ever. Forget ice climbers alright. Lets get baby mario and baby luigi as our tag team brawlers!
That's a pretty terrible idea. Why would I want Sakurai to take out a set of characters who are awesome and have basically been confirmed for Smash 4, just to replace them with the worst things to plague Mario Kart?

thesandman

Smash Cadet
Warning Received
I'm not sure a about that. The Ice Climbers were pretty retro when Sakurai put them in Melee, so I think they're staying.
But who cares. baby mario&luigi tag team for smash

That's a pretty terrible idea. Why would I want Sakurai to take out a set of characters who are awesome and have basically been confirmed for Smash 4, just to replace them with the worst things to plague Mario Kart?
Those babies are amazing. And ice climbers dont have to go. Gosh its just a joke. Dont be so uptight

Last edited by a moderator:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
It's not nearly as popular. Sure it gets the item's point across, but if Pac-Man were an Assist from the Special Flag, he'd be a better pick to showcase the item. Hence why I think Pac-Man's playable, not even mentioning the Sal leak.
You're grasping at straws. It still IS popular. Who cares if it's one or the other.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
But who cares. baby mario&luigi tag team for smash

Those babies are amazing. And ice climbers dont have to go. Gosh its just a joke. Dont be so uptight
You never implied it was a joke.

Any idea based on a character getting replaced (as in, take the cut character and give the playstyle to a different one) is a bad one, really. Why fix what's not broken? Not to mention the only true "replacement" that's ever happened is Young Link getting swapped out for Toon Link.

You're grasping at straws. It still IS popular. Who cares if it's one or the other.
There's a big difference between Pac-Man level popularity and Galaga level popularity.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So is anyone expecting anything good this week?
After the boring week we just had, I think there's a fair chance we'll get something a little more interesting. Perhaps we'll get a character in the first few days of May this week. Or perhaps we'll get some elaboration on some details that were alluded to in the Direct but not fully explained. That could be anything ranging from a better look at the Kalos Pokemon League stage, or even some details on what role Ridley has in this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom