• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

(It would be interesting to see how many people would feel "cheated" out of the fact that whilst many unrepresented franchises gets the shaft once again, FE would most likely get three-blue-haired swordsmen and complain about that)

That's assuming Golden Sun won't get a new game. That cannot be guaranteed, especially considering Camelot may be more encouraged to do a sequel based of the success of Golden Sun on Wii U Virtual Console.
I think many forget that if the Salromano leak is true, we're getting at least eight new franchise (nine if you count Sakurai hinting at a retro character back in 2011 at well), which is a lot, especially for a game that's almost certainly getting less newcomers than Brawl. As for how many will complain about a Marth, Ike and Chrom situation, it'd depend on if Chrom is unique or not. I'd imagine that Chrom would receive a lot more negative outcry if he was a semi-clone in a game where Sakurai has emphasized uniqueness more than ever, but if Chrom does end up being unique and interesting, the complaining would likely be no more than just a loud minority.

I didn't say that Golden Sun wouldn't get a new game so much said that it was a possible reality. I don't think it's too unlikely to get a new Golden Sun after SSB4 especially after this.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Okay...I'm gonna try this again because for some reason you omitting certain parts of my posts.

I'm not saying she will be playable!!! Please reread that line of text.

All I'm doing is countering the point you made about no one else in the series being important enough or as important as Marth, Ike and Chrom. I'm simply saying that Tiki is just as important and in my eyes more important than Ike currently is in the series.

Also you should have used a better character example than Ghirahim as he is just a one hit wonder for now. Probably should have used Toad or Meowth as the example.

Anyways, like I said, I don't think she's playable!!! I'm simply countering your point.
I know you think she won't be playable. Yet why were you arguing the whole thing with the trophy?

The fact still stands that Ike and Chrom are deserving, as they were heavily marketed, posterchilds for their games, and basically the main characters. No one has anything on them. On the franchise standpoint, she has done nothing.

P.S., I love how you counter your own argument by coming up with better examples on why Tiki is less deserving. Thanks for the help :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Because people are really boring.
This.

Also :
Marth's been confirmed already, Chrom would get in if that Gematsu leak turns out to be true and the Arena Ferox stage is strongly associated with him and Ike is the second most important character in FE due to starring in more than one game, unlike anyone else not named Marth.

That is the reason why we have Marth, Ike and Chrom on prediction rosters
And so are Robin and Lucina.

To finish, I don't give that much of confidence about this Gematsu leak personally.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
This.

Also :
And so are Robin and Lucina.

To finish, I don't give that much of confidence about this Gematsu leak personally.
I think it's simply due to the fact that Chrom was so heavily advertised and marketed as the posterboy for FE:A. I think that'll get him in above the others. And this is from someone who'd rather see Robin.

jweb22

Smash Apprentice
I know you think she won't be playable. Yet why were you arguing the whole thing with the trophy?

The fact still stands that Ike and Chrom are deserving, as they were heavily marketed, posterchilds for their games, and basically the main characters. No one has anything on them. On the franchise standpoint, she has done nothing.

P.S., I love how you counter your own argument by coming up with better examples on why Tiki is less deserving. Thanks for the help :)
The only reason I argued the trophy is due to my love for debates, plus I do really think the trophy argument is silly because most people that use that argument say it as if playable characters don't get trophies which clearly isn't the case.

Also, I didn't really counter my argument since I never said she would be playable and don't expect her to be. As I stated in the above paragraph, I enjoy debates. Proper debates that is, not flaming/insulting ones so I felt like making your argument better. ;-)

WonderSmash

Smash Apprentice
Am I the only one who thinks that Little Mac is our retro character? Sakurai sure seems to be acting as if he is.
Oh jeez I hope not. Punch-Out has been revived in a sense. They could remake the Super Punch Out lineup as a Wii U sequel and it would sell. Little Mac was retro pre-brawl

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Hasn't that been tossed out the window with Rosalina & Greninja added?
I like that you bring this up. I'd like to bring up a point that importance has not been "thrown out the window". Just because it doesn't relate to one particular circumstance doesn't mean the whole point is invalid.

ShichibukaiJimbe

Smash Apprentice
I think it's safe to say that there will be no more reveals this month. Sakurai did just drop 5 characters during the direct and the roster is probably A LOT smaller then you guys think it is (I'm guessing 40-45 playable characters).
He said he wasn't revealing that much this time. Even if the roster doesn't grow much, not revealing much is not proof of that. I believe something simillar happened to KIU, but I'm not sure since I didn't followed its reveal

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The only reason I argued the trophy is due to my love for debates, plus I do really think the trophy argument is silly because most people that use that argument say it as if playable characters don't get trophies which clearly isn't the case.
Look at the Skull Kid comment on his Miiverse page. "Only characters shown on the website are the fighters."

Tiki wasn't first shown to be a fighter on the website, but instead as a normal trophy. If they're introduced in any other way than playable character, they're not going to be newcomers this time around.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Oh jeez I hope not. Punch-Out has been revived in a sense. They could remake the Super Punch Out lineup as a Wii U sequel and it would sell. Little Mac was retro pre-brawl
Well people LuV da PaaternZ!

Melee: Ice Climbers/G&W
Brawl: R.O.B/Pit
Sm4Sh: ???

Not saying i agree with this but whatever i would really like to see Mach Rider or Baloon Fighter.

More Mach Rider.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
I don't see why the roster would be smaller. I think 50-55 is quite reasonable actually. There's a difference between fine tuning the game alone, and with a team that's done it for decades.

Please don't hurt me.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I don't see why the roster would be smaller. I think 50-55 is quite reasonable actually. There's a difference between fine tuning the game alone, and with a team that's done it for decades.

Please don't hurt me.
I don't know, just looking at the amount of newcomers we have so far, it seems unlikely that we'll see such a significant increase, unless a ton of newcomers are being kept hidden for whatever reason. I mean, with Brawl, we got five newcomers in the first trailer alone. It's been almost a year since the first trailer of this installment, and we only have six newcomers. I don't think the numbers match up.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I don't know, just looking at the amount of newcomers we have so far, it seems unlikely that we'll see such a significant increase, unless a ton of newcomers are being kept hidden for whatever reason. I mean, with Brawl, we got five newcomers in the first trailer alone. It's been almost a year since the first trailer of this installment, and we only have six newcomers. I don't think the numbers match up.
Well, there were a few newcomers left hidden in Brawl. I think the secret characters bar Sonic and Snake. So maybe we will see hidden newcomers. I don't know. I feel like Mega Man and Rosalina are suited for unlockable characters, but I'm not sure. I think we'll see some stuff hidden upon release. Along with veterans like Falco, Jigglypuff, etc.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well, there were a few newcomers left hidden in Brawl. I think the secret characters bar Sonic and Snake. So maybe we will see hidden newcomers. I don't know. I feel like Mega Man and Rosalina are suited for unlockable characters, but I'm not sure. I think we'll see some stuff hidden upon release. Along with veterans like Falco, Jigglypuff, etc.
Oh, I'm sure we'll see a few secret newcomers. But if we have a roster size above 50, there'd have to be a pretty significant amount of hidden newcomers. Either that or they just shove a ton of new characters into E3.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Well, a lot of people were really disappointed with Brawl when we finally got it and there were pretty much no surprises besides R.O.B.

It could be that Sakurai is just going for the opposite and keeping more characters secret this time. There's no rule on how many secret characters there need to be.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
14 Newcomers is reasonable and cool imo.

12 is abit too less....expecially underwhelming for the people who dont dig none of em.

*cough..*
*cough*

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Oh, I'm sure we'll see a few secret newcomers. But if we have a roster size above 50, there'd have to be a pretty significant amount of hidden newcomers. Either that or they just shove a ton of new characters into E3.
I dont know, as ive said before i dont think they will hold off on those glorious newcomer trailers after release or not give any to hidden fighters. There is no reason to hide anything at this point, they can still remain unlockable but there will be no punch to the reveals once we get the 3DS version. I think our lot of newcomers will be somewhat smaller than most are hoping for, 10 to 12 in total at the most.

Last edited:

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
I don't see that as any indication. He could just want to change the approach to this game from the way he approached Brawl. I just think there's too much going to get such an abysmal size for a roster, when 50 seems like the right amount.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'm replacing Chrom on my roster with Roy and giving Ike his Radiant Dawn look for some diversity.
That's not a real good idea in my opinion.
See, Chrom has quite a bit going for him. He's the most recent FE lord and the star of THE most successful Fire Emblem game ever.
Roy was in Smash Bros Melee. That's all he has going for him. He's popular, but for almost no other reason than being playable in Melee.
Nobody would give a rat's *** about him if he never showed up.
He's still amazing in Project M though.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I don't see that as any indication. He could just want to change the approach to this game from the way he approached Brawl. I just think there's too much going to get such an abysmal size for a roster, when 50 seems like the right amount.
Well, that's certainly possible. I am just going by past trends, so if things have changed (which we'd have no way of knowing), then it's possible for us to get a roster of 50+. However, since we have no way of actually knowing if Sakurai has changed his approach of showing off newcomers, I'm going to assume that he still uses the same method as before. To me, I think 50 is the best we'll get.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
Well, that's certainly possible. I am just going by past trends, so if things have changed (which we'd have no way of knowing), then it's possible for us to get a roster of 50+. However, since we have no way of actually knowing if Sakurai has changed his approach of showing off newcomers, I'm going to assume that he still uses the same method as before. To me, I think 50 is the best we'll get.
Realistically speaking, I think that 50 is probably the most, but I want to be optimistic. I get a nice sense of comfort knowing that Sakurai has a HUGE increase of professional staff this time around, it gives me a shroud of hope. Not to mention that I personally think that the separation of transformations could mean a hint at a bigger roster, but I also see how that argument could be reflected.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Realistically speaking, I think that 50 is probably the most, but I want to be optimistic. I get a nice sense of comfort knowing that Sakurai has a HUGE increase of professional staff this time around, it gives me a shroud of hope. Not to mention that I personally think that the separation of transformations could mean a hint at a bigger roster, but I also see how that argument could be reflected.
Don't forget though, that even though his staff has increased, so has the workload with two versions both of which have different aspects and modes to them. I'm not gonna set myself up for disappointment hoping for 50+, hell maybe barely 45 to 48.
----
and hey thousand post hell yeah!

Last edited:

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
Don't forget though, that even though his staff has increased, so has the workload with two versions both of which have different aspects and modes to them. I'm not gonna set myself up for disappointment hoping for 50+, hell maybe barely 45 to 48.
Yeah, I considered that, but I'll stay positive. I'll be ok with a 45-48 roster at the least. I really just don't want the same size as Brawl.

Come to think if it, we shouldn't underestimate his staff either, when they've developed large scale fighting games with expansive rosters in the past. Of course, Smash doesn't function the same way those games do, but still.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Those expectations are far too low though; if we were to receive no more cuts, we only have 2 newcomers left to be revealed. 48 is much more reasonable, but consider what Sakurai must do to the game to move units. There aren't many game-play changes, we don't have anything big like the Smash Ball or SSE and we are the 4th installment in. If I recall correctly; Sakurai also stated that he might have to adjust his expectations if necessary (in regards to a larger roster). I feel as though 50 is completely reasonable, that would be the smallest roster increase to date. Anything less is a little dramatic.

I wouldn't be saying this if a story-mode was in the game. I wouldn't be saying this if there were new modes. I wouldn't be saying this if he revealed new game-play elements. Hell, we haven't even received any news in regards to the stage builder or mini-game modes (break the target, etc.), I doubt they are gone, but if they are, that is even worse. The franchise needs to innovate, it shouldn't be moving backwards.

If there isn't significant change that appeals to the consumer base, the least he could do is give us a satisfying roster that will last us years to come. A lackluster roster on top of minimal changes, and even cuts, isn't going to CUT it. Haha, see what I did there?

D

Deleted member

Because moveset customization and Smash Run aren't innovative.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom