• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gune

Smash Lord
Something tells me Shulk is going to end up getting a hate base form Golden Sun fans once the games come out...

Which is a sad thing.
Only one thing to do when hate bases are on the rise, slip on some shades and utter those magic words "haters gonna hate" and all will be well.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
As a hardcore Golden Sun fan, I wouldn't hate on Shulk. What I don't understand is how Shulk's possible inclusion means no Isaac or Matthew as playable characters. That's like saying Ike and Chrom shouldn't get in because of Marth or Lucas shouldn't have been in Brawl because of Ness or Pichu shouldn't have been in Melee because of Pikachu and those characters are all from the same games!

I've never played Xenoblade but according to what others it is nothing like Golden Sun, so the two characters would be completely different. This whole "Shulk vs Isaac/Matthew blonde haired sword wielders" thing is completely silly to me.
It was more so basing on the factor of the Sal leak, which brings up the possible situation where Shulk will get in and Isaac won't. Which in turn will cause some people out there to cry foul, and using baseless arguments that may plague the fans of Isaac for years and likewise will make some people hate the inclusion of Shulk because some people will think he didn't deserve it.

Prepare to see a lot of "Sakurai hates Golden Sun, Isaac will never get in", and likewise people hoping Shulk will get removed, next time around.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I think many who support Isaac also support Shulk though. (and vice versa) Maybe I'm only really speaking for myself though but considering Shulk is my second most wanted newcomer he won't be receiving any hate from me.

I don't think they're that hotly in contention with each other, the possibility of both making it in certainly exists. Frankly if Sakurai is cool with having three very similar starfox characters with almost identical final smashes, I don't see why he wouldn't be cool with two characters from different series who aren't that similar to each other outside of genre.

Sakurai will do what he pleases, to heck with what we consider logical.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I doubt we're going to see much of a hate base for Shulk if (I'd say when) we know for sure he's in. Hate for character's inclusion are typically only initially after they're confirmed to get in; after people play as them, most people warm up to love said character. It happened with R.O.B., I see no reason why it shouldn't happen to Shulk. There's also the possible reality that if Isaac fails to get in this game, the support for a Golden Sun character (which has already reduced) will collapse to what we now see out of Custom Robo and Sin & Punishment due to the franchise not receiving a new game.

jweb22

Smash Apprentice
It was more so basing on the factor of the Sal leak, which brings up the possible situation where Shulk will get in and Isaac won't. Which in turn will cause some people out there to cry foul, and using baseless arguments that may plague the fans of Isaac for years and likewise will make some people hate the inclusion of Shulk because some people will think he didn't deserve it.

Prepare to see a lot of "Sakurai hates Golden Sun, Isaac will never get in", and likewise people hoping Shulk will get removed, next time around.
Oh boy, honestly I would probably be a part of that "Sakurai hates Golden Sun" group. As all the Smash newcomers drink my tears...

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
For potential newcomers, why doesn't anyone think of this guy?

I mean, he's already got color swaps and everything!

(Although I wonder why Canada is green.... White or Red would have been a better fit)

Last edited:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
He could do the Mewtwo/Rosalina thing, I guess. I don't think he's likely either way, though.
Yeah. He's one of those rare cases of characters I don't like that can't really be viable. There's only, like, two others? I think it's Gulpin and Wrinkly Kong that I also really don't like?
For potential newcomers, why doesn't anyone think of this guy?

I mean, he's already got color swaps and everything!

(Although I wonder why Canada is green.... White or Red would have been a better fit)
Oh, no, I've considered him, strangely enough, but a character based off of a single sport is a litttle... bland.

Last edited:

CombatScouter

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I'd be all for Galacta Knight in Smash, playable of course. Sure he would look a bit too much like Meta Knight, but its the moveset that matters, and boy do I want to play around with sword summoning.
He's one of my most wanted characters along with Viridi (Kid Icarus), but I never mention them because they have/had no hope whatsoever.

In regards to Galacta Knight's moveset though, I fully believe he could have a completely different moveset from Meta Knight. Instead of slashing, he would stab and poke with the lance, as well as bash opponents with his shield. He also has several energy attacks to utilize like his rain of sword beams, a blue whip from the tip of his lance, electricity/fire pillars, an energy blast from his shield, a shock wave when he stabs his lance into the ground, and more.

As for Galacta Knight's playstyle, I imagine he would be focused on defense by spacing with a combination of lance+energy attacks. I could also see his lance attacks being rather slow when compared to Meta Knight's flurry of sword strikes, but they would have the ability to be angled in very precise directions. Some other characteristics would be that he falls fast, and possesses a larger body than Meta Knight. Together, those traits would make him relatively easy to combo; characters like Little Mac would be tough if you don't space properly.

Anyway, that's just how I imagine him playing. Maybe he could even act as a villain for the Kirby series, since King Dedede doesn't really count.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Guys I just noticed the 'Challenger Approaching' Banner go. Maybe next week we might get character reveal? I don't even know who it might be but I just noticed the banner go.
The sad thing is the banner doesnt mean anything. About ten days after diddy kong was revealed the banner went dwn, and we didnt get a character at all in the entirety of marcj. Likewise, it staying up doesnt mean anything as it stayed up between Sonic and Toon Link, Rosalina and Zelda, Zelda and Dedede, and Mac and Diddy.

*The Sensus Crustulum*

Smash Journeyman
The sad thing is the banner doesnt mean anything. About ten days after diddy kong was revealed the banner went dwn, and we didnt get a character at all in the entirety of marcj. Likewise, it staying up doesnt mean anything as it stayed up between Sonic and Toon Link, Rosalina and Zelda, Zelda and Dedede, and Mac and Diddy.
Ah, maybe I never noticed it and was being oblivious. I don't even think we are going to get a character next week.

TheUnsullied

Smash Apprentice
Ah, maybe I never noticed it and was being oblivious. I don't even think we are going to get a character next week.
I think it's safe to say that there will be no more reveals this month. Sakurai did just drop 5 characters during the direct and the roster is probably A LOT smaller then you guys think it is (I'm guessing 40-45 playable characters).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So, after watching some of the newest rosters, I have a concrete question to those who add Marth, Ike and Chrom, 3 similar looking characters as repps of Fire Emblem :
Really ?

Last edited by a moderator:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Guys I just noticed the 'Challenger Approaching' Banner go. Maybe next week we might get character reveal? I don't even know who it might be but I just noticed the banner go.
Kirby Triple Deluxe releases in US on Friday. I highly doubt we'll see Meta Knight though, considering Meta Knight himself isn't in the game, and it's just a US release too, but it's the only possibility I can think of that wouldn't just be a completely random reveal.

But like someone previously noted, the banner doesn't mean anything, and I'm not expecting a veteran for a long time.

Last edited:

TheUnsullied

Smash Apprentice
So, after watching some of the newest rosters, I have a concrete question to those who add Marth, Ike and Chrom, 3 similar looking characters as repps of Fire Emblem :
Really ?
What cause they're asian you think they look alike?? RACIST!!

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Really ?
They're three important Lords in the FE games. That's it. They have more importance than other characters in the universe.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Really ?
Well, Chrom is the main character of the most recent, most popular, best selling Fire Emblem game, which got DLC support. And X/Y has a character, which is even newer. Too recent isn't really mattering.
Most Lords have blue hair. It's a matter of are they going to show off the avatar character or are they going with the main character?
And coexistence. It can happen. Just because two characters look alike doesn't mean taboo. Look at Relius Clover and Carl Clover in Blazblue.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Really ?
Well, from a purely character perspective, Chrom is a pretty obvious choice for a third Fire Emblem rep due to being one of the main protagonists of the latest (and extremely successful) game. He does share a similar appearance to Marth and Ike, and doesn't offer a whole lot in terms of uniqueness, but he is the most logical choice for such a role.

But if you don't like him, there's always Robin as an option.

jweb22

Smash Apprentice
They're three important Lords in the FE games. That's it. They have more importance than other characters in the universe.
Not really, if I remember correctly, Tiki has been in 5 Fire Emblem games which is tied with Marth for the most appearances in the series and is more than Ike and Chrom combined! So you can make a seriously good argument that she should get in before those two.

Plus she represents the divine dragon so she has importance in the series.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Not really, if I remember correctly, Tiki has been in 5 Fire Emblem games which is tied with Marth for the most appearances in the series and is more than Ike and Chrom combined! So you can make a seriously good argument that she should get in before those two.

Only A.) She's already been shown off as a trophy, and B.) Importance =/= amount of times you've been in the game.

jweb22

Smash Apprentice
Only A.) She's already been shown off as a trophy, and B.) Importance =/= amount of times you've been in the game.
I just gave you the reason of her importance as she is the Divine Dragon!

Also, I'm not saying she will be playable, I'm simply stating that in my eyes she is more deserving than Chrom and Ike.

Finally, the trophy argument is silly. In Melee and Brawl, all playable characters had at least 3 trophies.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
So, after watching some of the newest rosters, I have a concrete question to those who add Marth, Ike and Chrom, 3 similar looking characters as reps of Fire Emblem :
Really ?
Marth's been confirmed already, Chrom would get in if that Gematsu leak turns out to be true and the Arena Ferox stage is strongly associated with him and Ike is the second most important character in FE due to starring in more than one game, unlike anyone else not named Marth.

That is the reason why we have Marth, Ike and Chrom on prediction rosters

(It would be interesting to see how many people would feel "cheated" out of the fact that whilst many unrepresented franchises gets the shaft once again, FE would most likely get three-blue-haired swordsmen and complain about that)

I doubt we're going to see much of a hate base for Shulk if (I'd say when) we know for sure he's in. Hate for character's inclusion are typically only initially after they're confirmed to get in; after people play as them, most people warm up to love said character. It happened with R.O.B., I see no reason why it shouldn't happen to Shulk. There's also the possible reality that if Isaac fails to get in this game, the support for a Golden Sun character (which has already reduced) will collapse to what we now see out of Custom Robo and Sin & Punishment due to the franchise not receiving a new game.
That's assuming Golden Sun won't get a new game. That cannot be guaranteed, especially considering Camelot may be more encouraged to do a sequel based of the success of Golden Sun on Wii U Virtual Console.

Last edited:

samoxnar

Smash Cadet
NNID
SamOxnar
Real Talk...Reggie Fils- Ai Mii as a playable character, knocks the boring Mii idea out with having Mii based moves, yet the awesomeness of Reggie. For people that hate Reggie as he's not a game character, Reggie Fils- Ai Mii represents Tamodachi Collection.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I just gave you the reason of her importance as she is the Divine Dragon!

Also, I'm not saying she will be playable, I'm simply stating that in my eyes she is more deserving than Chrom and Ike.

Finally, the trophy argument is silly. In Melee and Brawl, all playable characters had at least 3 trophies.
Yes, that's true, but why would Sakurai show off her trophy before her playable status? That makes as much sense as showing off Fi and Pseudo-Palutena. Guess they're playable too!

And your "divine dragon" logic is the same as Ghirahim "beginning the series". Ghirahim is still a pawn, making him not so important to the games and Tiki still pales in comparison to both Ike and Chrom, two lords that were heavily marketed and were essentially posterchilds for their respective games. People would say in Brawl Mewtwo was still more deserving than Lucario, but at the time, Lucario was the posterchild, and got priority (even though Mewtwo was still planned, Lucario was of higher priority than him).

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

I agree with @ TumblrFamous TumblrFamous on this one, just being a recurring character doesn't necessarily make you more important, at least in terms of Smash. In Tiki's case, yes, she is a recurring character who has importance to her series, but she's never really been a main character along the lines of Marth, Ike, or Chrom. And being a main character seems to be key for getting onto the roster, if the past Fire Emblem characters are any indication. It's a similar case to Anna, really. Anna's a character who appears in quite a number of Fire Emblem games in some form or another, but she doesn't play a significant role in any of them. She's appeared more than a lot of other Fire Emblem characters, but in the grand scheme of things she's not actually that significant. Now, Tiki's definitely more important than Anna, I'd say, but the situations are similar, to a degree. Neither have really had that big role in a game that could get them on the roster.

And there are a lot of characters who could represent something in their series that hasn't been seen in Smash before. That doesn't make them significantly more important.

*The Sensus Crustulum*

Smash Journeyman
I think it's safe to say that there will be no more reveals this month. Sakurai did just drop 5 characters during the direct and the roster is probably A LOT smaller then you guys think it is (I'm guessing 40-45 playable characters).
Woah! Only a one increase from Brawl's characters? Why? That means you believe in a lot of cuts.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Real Talk...Reggie Fils- Ai Mii as a playable character, knocks the boring Mii idea out with having Mii based moves, yet the awesomeness of Reggie. For people that hate Reggie as he's not a game character, Reggie Fils- Ai Mii represents Tamodachi Collection.
Why not just have Nikki; a Mii AND a character who isn't an internet meme and actually has recognizability the entire world over rather than just the United States of America?

She could use Swapnote drawings to attack with...although her final Smash would obviously have to be a pop up which prevents all opponents from moving that says "This service has been discontinued."

Last edited:

samoxnar

Smash Cadet
NNID
SamOxnar
Why not just have Nikki; a Mii AND a character who isn't an internet meme and actually has recognizability the entire world over rather than just the United States of America?

She could use Swapnote drawings to attack with...although her final Smash would obviously have to be a pop up which prevents all opponents from moving that says "This service has been discontinued."
I forgot who that was until you said Swapnote. It's not a bad idea, I just don't think she's that interesting or important.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Sadly, I'm sure that Nintendo is wanting to forget Swapnote even exists.
They might have actually removed it from the eShop.

I don't see Mii being a good character as much, but it is likely, regardless. Though I fear it will have a shabby moveset as it's main gimmicks (customization, sports) are already placed into the cast with characters. With customization being global, it lost a lot of unique potential.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Sadly, I'm sure that Nintendo is wanting to forget Swapnote even exists.
They might have actually removed it from the eShop.

I don't see Mii being a good character as much, but it is likely, regardless. Though I fear it will have a shabby moveset as it's main gimmicks (customization, sports) are already placed into the cast with characters. With customization being global, it lost a lot of unique potential.
But what if those points that would make Miis less interesting as characters are actually points against their inclusion? In all honesty, I don't see Miis as overly likely at this point.

jweb22

Smash Apprentice
Yes, that's true, but why would Sakurai show off her trophy before her playable status? That makes as much sense as showing off Fi and Pseudo-Palutena. Guess they're playable too!

And your "divine dragon" logic is the same as Ghirahim "beginning the series". Ghirahim is still a pawn, making him not so important to the games and Tiki still pales in comparison to both Ike and Chrom, two lords that were heavily marketed and were essentially posterchilds for their respective games. People would say in Brawl Mewtwo was still more deserving than Lucario, but at the time, Lucario was the posterchild, and got priority (even though Mewtwo was still planned, Lucario was of higher priority than him).
Okay...I'm gonna try this again because for some reason you omitting certain parts of my posts.

I'm not saying she will be playable!!! Please reread that line of text.

All I'm doing is countering the point you made about no one else in the series being important enough or as important as Marth, Ike and Chrom. I'm simply saying that Tiki is just as important and in my eyes more important than Ike currently is in the series.

Also you should have used a better character example than Ghirahim as he is just a one hit wonder for now. Probably should have used Toad or Meowth as the example.

Anyways, like I said, I don't think she's playable!!! I'm simply countering your point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom