• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Yknow what? Just forget it!! Mario being more successful I can understand, but even if it wasnt more successful than Zelda or Pokemon it wouldn't matter. You argument is invalid
My argument is invalid because you say so, fantastic logic, this is the last comment about this topic but just to make it clear, sonic generations, the most acclaimed game so far hasn't even sold 2 millions, 2 millions is a joke to the 3 big series, as you can see sonic isn't anywhere near as succesful as mario, zelda or pkmn

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Here's my two cents on importance.
Sonic is SEGA's mascot, or it's King.
Pokemon and Zelda are secondary fodder in the Nintendo Hierarchy, like Bishops. If they're better than another's king, then it's really going to matter in importance.
If Sonic was a Nintendo franchise, it'd likely get only two characters at this time being. Just because he's one mascot of a small company doesn't mean he's just as important to the industrial mega-corporation.

Again, we're going into a loop. Denial isn't an arguement, it's a flame war. I'd suggest both of you watch your words before you get a staff member to start pulling out the serious punishments rather than just my fair warning.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Here's my two cents on importance.
Sonic is SEGA's mascot, or it's King.
Pokemon and Zelda are secondary fodder in the Nintendo Hierarchy, like Bishops. If they're better than another's king, then it's really going to matter in importance.
If Sonic was a Nintendo franchise, it'd likely get only two characters at this time being. Just because he's one mascot of a small company doesn't mean he's just as important to the industrial mega-corporation.
Not true, it's fame over importance. Pokemon and Zelda are at the same level as Sonic. Sonic being a Nintendo franchise would very much merit as much characters as Mario

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
If sonic becomes a nintendo franchise it should only have 3 reps, my choices would sonic, tails and dr eggman, the 3 most important characters in the franchise

Last edited:

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Not true, it's fame over importance. Pokemon and Zelda are at the same level as Sonic. Sonic being a Nintendo franchise would very much merit as much characters as Mario
Do you have any evidence to back that up?
Because Pokemon is effectively nearly as big as Mario.
I can understand Zelda, perhaps, but Pokemon is just a worldwide phenomenon.

TCGs, Video Games, countless merchandising, a long lasting show, lots and lots of manga, movies, fantastic sales, and the like for Pokemon.

Sonic has a couple of mediocre movies, a bad reputation nowadays apart from a few good games, an alright comic book that's overtly complicated, middling sales, overall general distaste from many people, and the like.

Pokemon is far more important than Sonic the Hedgehog, to be blunt. They'd recieve many more reps any day of the week. Fame isn't really as important. Hard numbers and facts are often more important than knowing a character, especially in Smash. More people will know Pikachu than Sonic, anyways.

Again, you're just starting this tangent and going back on your own words. Don't just make a claim without warrant.

Last edited:

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Do you have any evidence to back that up?
Because Pokemon is effectively nearly as big as Mario.
I can understand Zelda, perhaps, but Pokemon is just a worldwide phenomenon.

TCGs, Video Games, countless merchandising, a long lasting show, lots and lots of manga, movies, fantastic sales, and the like for Pokemon.

Sonic has a couple of mediocre movies, a bad reputation nowadays apart from a few good games, an alright comic book that's overtly complicated, middling sales, overall general distaste from many people, and the like.

Pokemon is far more important than Sonic the Hedgehog, to be blunt. They'd recieve many more reps any day of the week. Fame isn't really as important. Hard numbers are often more important than knowing a character. More people will know Pikachu than Sonic, anyways.
I would say that Zelda is more important than sonic too, it is more succesful in both quality and sales

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I think Aiai from Super Monkey Ball would make for an excellent SEGA addition.

He would make for a unique and fairly technical fighter, on account of his big ol' ball.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I know Sonic fans can be hard to deal with, but this is ridiculous. Can we move on from denial to acceptance already? Nintendo is not buying Sega, some dudebro on YouTube making a video about how it's his opinion that it should happen is not proof that it is going to happen. There have been "rumors" about Nintendo buying back Rare just about every year since they sold them. It's been over a decade and they haven't bought back Rare now have they? I'm sorry if people find this harsh, but only a fool believes everything they read/see on the internet. Especially a fan-made YouTube video. Either he's trolling us, or he's actually that naive.

This has strayed way too far from the intended thread topic, I don't know where the mods are but until they show up, can we please try to get back to it?

As for actual Nintendo characters and not hypothetical Nintendo characters... I'm thinking there's a real chance that Ness could get some changes to reflect his actual self from EarthBound. Quite a few characters have been getting changed pretty drastically despite Sakurai's claims that he didn't want to alienate anyone. Most of them seem to be more like what they resemble in their home series, so what say Ness gets PK Teleport and PK Rockin' instead of Thunder and Fire?

Lucas would still have those old moves too, so they wouldn't be lost. Even if Ness doesn't get changed, it could be possible with the move customization...

Last edited:

Cpt.

Smash Lord
As for actual Nintendo characters and not hypothetical Nintendo characters... I'm thinking there's a real chance that Ness could get some changes to reflect his actual self from EarthBound. Quite a few characters have been getting changed pretty drastically despite Sakurai's claims that he didn't want to alienate anyone. Most of them seem to be more like what they resemble in their home series, so what say Ness gets PK Teleport and PK Rockin' instead of Thunder and Fire?

Lucas would still have those old moves too, so they wouldn't be lost. Even if Ness doesn't get changed, it could be possible with the move customization...
Man I really hope Sakurai changes Ness so that he is actually Ness. He needs to fight more with his bat and have the moves you mentioned.

On the likely hood, I think the chances are fair to speculate it. After all a lot of character that have been revealed have changed movesets. Sheik, Zelda, 3DeDe, Charizard, Pit, Zero Suit all have moveset changes.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Meta Knight doesn't show up at all in Triple Deluxe, but they might do a shoehorn.
TECHNICALLY,

He's in the game for about half a second. He's in the audience when Kirby and Dedede do the 100% completion dance thingy. :D

Cpt.

Smash Lord

Just saw this. YESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!! The costumes are here! I can't believe it! Sakurai is doing something completely right! THANK YOU!

D

Deleted member

Just saw this. YESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!! The costumes are here! I can't believe it! Sakurai is doing something completely right! THANK YOU!
Only goes to show how amazing Mega Man is in this game. Nothing will ever top Mega Man's inclusion for me; past or future. Mega Man in Smash is perfect to me.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
I know Sonic fans can be hard to deal with, but this is ridiculous. Can we move on from denial to acceptance already?
You're kind of skipping the anger, bargaining, and depression stages. :p

I'm thinking there's a real chance that Ness could get some changes to reflect his actual self from EarthBound. Quite a few characters have been getting changed pretty drastically despite Sakurai's claims that he didn't want to alienate anyone. Most of them seem to be more like what they resemble in their home series, so what say Ness gets PK Teleport and PK Rockin' instead of Thunder and Fire?

As far as movesets go I don't see much reason for Ness to receive too many tweaks to his moveset if it's been continuous for three games now (Even though he can't use half of the abilities in game), but with the introduction of custom movesets it would most certainly be nice to see PK Rockin, Hypnosis, Paralysis, as well as the Alpha, Beta, Gamma, and Epilson versions of new and existing attacks to further improve the character.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
You're kind of skipping the anger, bargaining, and depression stages. :p
He seems to do that a lot tbh. He cannot be so confident, so c***sure about what is in fact his personal opinion and expect to get away with it.

MegaMan's Final Smash, boy! I'm just depressed that they didn't show it on stage

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
I don't think he would ever face that way in game (without pausing).
However, in the Nintendo Direct, it proceeds to go into gameplay of the laser shooting in that angle.
Is it just for the trailer or is it a dynamic effect?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
My only curiosity of this is the camera angle.
Is is just something that Sakurai's doing for the pic? Or does it do that in gameplay?
What, you mean the Final Smash? Haven't there already been Final Smashes that had cutscenes to go with them before?

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
What, you mean the Final Smash? Haven't there already been Final Smashes that had cutscenes to go with them before?
They didn't involve that large of a camera change or that long of a camera shift in the previous game. Unless the action stops for a split-second, it'd cause an issue that it shared with Brawl by making it so a player who doesn't have the Smash Ball is blind.
Might be a special grab move at first where Mega Man may use the Mega Arm or something.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
They didn't involve that large of a camera change or that long of a camera shift in the previous game. Unless the action stops for a split-second, it'd cause an issue that it shared with Brawl by making it so a player who doesn't have the Smash Ball is blind.
Huh. I just assumed it would be like Captain Falcon's final smash, or maybe it does just freeze the action while the animation runs.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Might be a special grab move at first where Mega Man may use the Mega Arm or something.
Wasn't captain falcon like all cool with the camera though..?

Or unless I'm missing the point

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
He seems to do that a lot tbh. He cannot be so confident, so c***sure about what is in fact his personal opinion and expect to get away with it.
Aren't you the one throwing around your opinion like it's fact? If I remember correctly, you're the only person here saying these things while nearly everyone else is telling you otherwise. If you would like to continue this, please bring it to a PM or somewhere that it's actually on topic. If not, I'd appreciate it if you didn't do that.

Now on the topic of Mega Man's final smash... I have no idea so I'll just let the Mega Man fans go at that one. As for how it functions, I'm thinking it will be a cinematic final smash like Captain Falcon's, while the attack itself is more similar to Triple Finish. It does look like a cool final smash though.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
CliffJumper, I'm going to have to tell you to stop derailing the thread. It's created an off-topic mess and you keep furthering it. Consider it a last verbal warning.

Smash G

Smash Journeyman

Don't tell Sakurai I leaked. We're best buds. He'd be heart broken. NES Zapper is a playable character.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
A little late, but here's my answer to that. I do not find toilet humor to be funny, and Conker's Bad Fur Day is loaded with it. I'm 19, but I prefer to say the h*** away from Rated M games as much as I stay away from cigarettes. People who play those Rated M games have been reported to have serious problems, especially the guy behind the tragedy of Sandy Hooke Elementary.
This is a very serious response. M rated video games have never been proven to cause serious problems in people, in fact when violent video games became popular violent crimes went down. People who kill other people have serious problems to begin with and playing M rated video games isn't what caused them to become troubled, they just happen to play M rated games (a lot of people do, and most of them don't go out killing people). Of course if the media finds out that a killer would play violent video games they're going to want to blame the video games for why they did such a horrible thing, and it's not right. The media is always trying to find something to blame and video games are an easy target. It's ok to play M rated video games, they won't cause you to do bad things.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
If Chrom is playable but Ike isn't, I got this ready...

But seriously if that happens, crap is gonna go down, and I'm gonna help start it! XD

The only worse news is if we got this character on top of getting Chrom but not getting Ike back...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I like Chrom for Chrom!

Also I don't expect Ike to go, he's more unique than both Starfox characters.

I know it *sounds* crazy, but if we HAVE to have cuts, I have a really hard time imagining Falco coming back this time unless he sees some major changes.

The customization system basically allows Fox to turn into Falco, with a few obvious differences, but disregarding the fact that Sakurai wants two sizes of Link for some reason, I just can't see all three Starfox characters coming back if we have to have cuts.

It just doesn't make any ****ing sense to cut Ike for any reason! Then again, I find the idea that someone could predict the cuts so far ahead of time.

I guess we'll see though. Come on Ike..
To be fair, I did mention exceptions. You'd obviously be one of those.

We're probably going to be seeing cuts; somewhere between two and four this game. I'm thinking that Snake, Squirtle and Ivysaur are gone. If there's a fourth one, it'll be Ike and I think being from a recurring franchise has something to do with it, unfortunately (as well as the possibility of Sakurai being dumb).

That being said, if the RosalinaX leak is false, I doubt we will see Ike go. Sakurai hates cuts and if he makes cuts, he's probably going to have a good reason. Squirtle & Ivysaur are probably due to game play reasons and Snake is likely due to third-party issues, which are both understandable. I can't see a good reason for cutting Ike at this point, barring time constraints and I don't think that's a huge concern due to Toon Link of all things returning. He would only really be (stupidly) replaced if the RosalinaX leak is true. That said, I currently expect all three Fire Emblem characters to receive unique move set; Ike to receive some modification (such as his Ragnell's range attach) and Chrom to emphasize on different weapon he obtains by changing class doesn't seem too out of bound at this point. Roy may also come back as DLC as a further lugified clone with Eruption given to him)

Last edited by a moderator:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

We're probably going to be seeing cuts; somewhere between two and four this game. I'm thinking that Snake, Squirtle and Ivysaur are gone. If there's a fourth one, it'll be Ike and I think being from a recurring franchise has something to do with it, unfortunately (as well as the possibility of Sakurai being dumb).

That being said, if the RosalinaX leak is false, I doubt we will see Ike go. Sakurai hates cuts and if he makes cuts, he's probably going to have a good reason. Squirtle & Ivysaur are probably due to game play reasons and Snake is likely due to third-party issues, which are both understandable. I can't see a good reason for cutting Ike at this point, barring time constraints and I don't think that's a huge concern due to Toon Link of all things returning. He would only really be (stupidly) replaced if the RosalinaX leak is true. That said, I currently expect all three Fire Emblem characters to receive unique move set; Ike to receive some modification (such as his Ragnell's range attach) and Chrom to emphasize on different weapon he obtains by changing class doesn't seem too out of bound at this point. Roy may also come back as DLC as a further lugified clone with Eruption given to him)
Look. It's not something I really enjoy responding to. I've talked myself bloody about how stupid people are for one singling out Ike, and two for assuming the RosalinaX leak has anything to do with the legitimate leaks.

I'm not going to discuss it anymore, because I'm tired of it. There's no good reason to cut that character in particular, and I know you know that, but forgive me, because I'm really tired of seeing the "Well, if anyone has to go, it's Ike, because blah blah blah Fire Emblem." stuff thrown about everywhere. We keep clinging to these rules and patterns like we know exactly what's going to happen. I know that's not what you said, and I think it's not what you mean, but there's a whole bunch of COMPLETE idiots that are going to keep spewing that nonsense if Ike gets cut.

And it makes no sense. Cutting Ike would be the single biggest mistake he could make for this game, and would go against everything he's said he wants to do with it.

Ugh.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

It is. The leak stated that the 48 roster could change, despite that change contradicting the idea that 4 cuts are automatically going to happen.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Look. It's not something I really enjoy responding to. I've talked myself bloody about how stupid people are for one singling out Ike, and two for assuming the RosalinaX leak has anything to do with the legitimate leaks.

I'm not going to discuss it anymore, because I'm tired of it. There's no good reason to cut that character in particular, and I know you know that, but forgive me, because I'm really tired of seeing the "Well, if anyone has to go, it's Ike, because blah blah blah Fire Emblem." stuff thrown about everywhere. We keep clinging to these rules and patterns like we know exactly what's going to happen. I know that's not what you said, and I think it's not what you mean, but there's a whole bunch of COMPLETE idiots that are going to keep spewing that nonsense if Ike gets cut.

And it makes no sense. Cutting Ike would be the single biggest mistake he could make for this game, and would go against everything he's said he wants to do with it.

Ugh.
Smash is almost unpredictable, after all, who thought that'd we'd really get Greninja, or Rosalina, or even Mega Man? Hell, Wii Fit Trainer is enough to tell me that this game is gonna be pretty weird. but excellent and the same time. This is gonna be a great Smash bros.

I also feel your pain with Ike, my former main, which then became Wolf, which now may become Luigi. If Ike doesn't make it, I'll be sad, but it certainly won't be a no-buy. Th only no-buy from me would be a sucky roster full of awful choices that can't be rationed out. Like Tingle and Genesect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom