• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
What SEGA characters are even worth a damn? Aside from Sonic, what do they potentially offer, in your opinion?
Amigo and Phantom R, if anything.
Both are from rhythm games by SEGA and each utilizes different ways of fighting. Amigo has the Maracas to fight with, Phantom has a variety of talents.
And Phantom R just has that style!

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Importance to Nintendo? Since it came out AC has always been treated with a fair amount of importance by Nintendo. Nowadays even more so... they have AC stuff on Club Nintendo and even made that AC plaza thing on the Wii U. There's also a fair amount of AC merchandise in Japan. And you can bet they've got an AC in development for Wii U considering how successful the 3DS version was.

The least successful AC game has sold double the amount of the most successful game from both Pikmin and KI. Plus Nintendo has made a concerted effort to have an AC on every system that could handle it since the 64, which is more than most Nintendo series can claim...

It hasn't been around as long as most other series, true, but that's not the only measure of importance. Look how important the Wii series has been to Nintendo.
Fair enough.
I guess Animal Crossing is bigger than I thought it was.
I didn't know that part about how it sold double of Pikmin and KI.

And I completely forgot about Animal Forest on N64, and the fact that Nintendo got a friggin' full-length movie made about it.

Though I still feel that Animal Crossing should only have one character.
Mainly because of the lack of possible moves for potential fighters, as Villager uses all of the tools and house items.
Though I have to admit, Mr. Resetti would be epic, because pickaxe.

Morbi

Scavenger
Fair enough.
I guess Animal Crossing is bigger than I thought it was.
I didn't know that part about how it sold double of Pikmin and KI.

And I completely forgot about Animal Forest on N64, and the fact that Nintendo got a friggin' full-length movie made about it.

Though I still feel that Animal Crossing should only have one character.
Mainly because of the lack of possible moves for potential fighters, as Villager uses all of the tools and house items.
Though I have to admit, Mr. Resetti would be epic, because pickaxe.
Honestly; I want an Animal Crossing character that uses a fishing rod to fight. Unless Villager has his rod hidden away; it may never happen.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Don't think that Sega's library of characters is bland.

Quite the contrary. Amigo, Ulala, Ryo, NiGHTS, Billy, anything from Phantasy Star, all would be cool choices.

Honestly, the only Sega franchise with a bunch of boring characters is Sonic.

Morbi

Scavenger
Don't think that Sega's library of characters is bland.

Quite the contrary. Amigo, Ulala, Ryo, NiGHTS, Billy, anything from Phantasy Star, all would be cool choices.

Honestly, the only Sega franchise with a bunch of boring characters is Sonic.
I honestly hold quite the antithetical notion; Sonic is the only series that I can see working well in Smash Brothers. That may just be me though.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Earthbound on the C Tier? I'm confused about that, we can get Lucas back
Sonic at D Tier I can understand, just curious, but what are you gonna do when/if Nintendo buys SEGA?
I just put Earthbound on C-Tier because it felt like bias putting it above F-Zero.
I do think Lucas I returning, and F-Zero will still have just Falcon.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
It may just be the childhood talking, but I feel that Nintendo buying Rare back is just as likely as Nintendo buying Sega, mostly because of the fan demand, and how much money Banjo-Threeie would make and how many WiiUs it would sell.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
It may just be the childhood talking, but I feel that Nintendo buying Rare back is just as likely as Nintendo buying Sega, mostly because of the fan demand, and how much money Banjo-Threeie would make and how many WiiUs it would sell.
Eh, I wouldn't expect them to buy back Rare, if anything, they'd probably just buy the IP's back.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Even if Nintendo could buy back Rare, you know Microsoft would keep the rights to Banjo-Kazooie just to keep Nintendo from from getting any success.

Seriously, I hate them.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Even if Nintendo could buy back Rare, you know Microsoft would keep the rights to Banjo-Kazooie just to keep Nintendo from from getting any success.

Seriously, I hate them.
As much as I don't think Banjo will return to Nintendo, I'm not gonna lie, that was harsh.
edit: Also, no we wouldn't.
Well, it depends on how much you would call a whole load. I for one would call at least 5 characters like how many we have fir Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon to be a "whole load." I wouldn't really expect a "whole load" of Rare characters if by a longshot Nintendo buys back Rare, just Banjo in my opinion, I would NOT want Conker in the game though. If Conker EVER appears in smash, I'm not buying.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Sega has quite a variety of interesting characters... but tbh if they were Nintendo series most still would have tough competition from existing Nintendo series...

None except Sonic are really that huge anymore... though I guess they also have Atlus...

Seriously, I hate them.
I doubt Nintendo would buy back Rare if they didn't get the IPs as well. That's the only part of the company that's still valuable...

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
though I guess they also have Atlus...
This is remotely plausible. I would love to see Jack Frost, but sadly Atlus has not had the popularity nor the big ties outside of the console of choice for SMT or the FEXSMT game.
That and EVERYONE would be clamoring for Persona characters.
I doubt Nintendo would buy back Rare if they didn't get the IPs as well. That's the only part of the company that's still valuable...
I wouldn't want Rare touching the games though.
Rare's a different company now, I'd have Retro do it. Heck, Rare barely did anything with the new KI.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
As much as I don't think Banjo will return to Nintendo, I'm not gonna lie, that was harsh.
I'm sorry, I am absolutely sick of hearing about Micro$oft and $ony that I get bitter whenever I hear their names.

Well, it depends on how much you would call a whole load. I for one would call at least 5 characters like how many we have fir Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon to be a "whole load." I wouldn't really expect a "whole load" of Rare characters if by a longshot Nintendo buys back Rare, just Banjo in my opinion, I would NOT want Conker in the game though. If Conker EVER appears in smash, I'm not buying.
So just because Nintendo buys SEGA, suddenly Sonic gets as many characters as freaking Pokemon? That absolutely would not happen.

Sonic has sold a third of what Pokemon has solely off of Nintendo platforms, and he's existed for six years longer.
There aren't even that many noteworthy Sonic characters to begin with. I love Sonic, but hate the majority of his friends.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The only Sonic character I'm ever going to be OK with joining Smash Bros is Eggman/Robotnik.

Last edited by a moderator:

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
If mewtwo gets revealed,
Would he be considered a veteran or newcomer? Since he was in melee.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I understand Microsoft, but as far as I know, Sony's a pretty good company.
I mean the competition between them, it promotes horrible ideals.

Uhh, Tails Adventure, Knuckles Chaotix, Shadow the Hedgehog 2005? Those characters sound noteworthy to me.
Yeah Shadow the Hedgehog is noteworthy.

For being an absolutely broken and bad game.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Sonic has sold a third of what Pokemon has solely off of Nintendo platforms, and he's existed for six years longer.
There aren't even that many noteworthy Sonic characters to begin with. I love Sonic, but hate the majority of his friends.
Even Tails and Knuckles?

Not going to lie in the theoretical situation where Nintendo bought SEGA, I'd be down with Tails and Knux. Maybe Eggman(depending on how he worked).

Also Vyse would be pretty cool...would never get into Smash even if Nintendo owned it though...we're still waiting on Isaac and Shulk's yet to be confirmed one way or the other. RPG characters in Smash, man.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

For being an absolutely broken and bad game.
Funny way of spelling Sonic '06.

ShTH may have not been a strong game in the franchise, but it's leagues better than the notoriously bad game that came not that long after....

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
To be completely honest, I actually liked Shadow the Hedgehog. Don't know why,I just did.
I did too, it's actually a favorite of mine, but that's not the point.

The point is, Sonic is popular because Sonic. The only other character I could see being added is Tails, since he is the second most noteworthy character in the series, and has a lot of moves to pull from.

If you want anymore, go play a Mario & Sonic game, which Nintendo now hypothetically owns.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Conker in Smash would be great. He'd have a context-sensitive playstyle.
Yeah, but it's just personal bias that I don't want Conker in. I've seen a montage done of NintendoCapriSun's LP of his game and that was enough to convince me to never play the game
Funny way of spelling Sonic '06.

ShTH may have not been a strong game in the franchise, but it's leagues better than the notoriously bad game that came not that long after....
well, that is true. I do have the dream of seeing a completely fixed version of Sonic 06 for a Nintendo platform exclusive sometime, but that would be unlikely.

Morbi

Scavenger
If mewtwo gets revealed,
Would he be considered a veteran or newcomer? Since he was in melee.
It is entirely dependent on the way they treat his character; technically he is a veteran, but he could be considered a newcomer by definition. The more accurate term, or the more acceptable term, is "returning veteran" even though that alludes to pretty much everyone that isn't a newcomer. As such, I refer to him as a newcomer. It doesn't really matter what he is considered though.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
No, the Goddesses are all more important than it! If it wasn't for the Goddesses, then the Triforce wouldn't exist in the first place!
How could you forget the most important character of all? Without him, even the Goddesses wouldn't exist! He's even the most important character of Mario, DK, Pikmin, etc.

The Happy Mask Salesman Shigeru Miyamoto! :troll:
Yeah, but it's just personal bias that I don't want Conker in. I've seen a montage done of NintendoCapriSun's LP of his game and that was enough to convince me to never play the game
What kind of horrible soul wouldn't play Conker? If Nintendo still owned Rare, he'd be the fourth character I wanted in after Banjo, Mumbo, and Grunty. Conker is absolutely one of the greatest games on the N64, up there with even Banjo.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Unfortunately (well, not for me, anyway), it has come to my attention that if Sonic were to get a 2nd character for whatever reason, it probably wouldn't be Tails, Knuckles, or even Eggman.
You can already tell where I'm going with this; it would be Shadow.

Yes, Tails is the most prominent character after Sonic and Eggman, but after seeing Rosalina and Greninja, it's clear that prominence isn't going to do much. As much as a Base Breaker he is, Shadow does have a considerable amount of fans. Enough that he's the only secondary 3rd Party character to have notable requests in both Brawl's time and now.

Not that he's likely to make the jump from Assist to playable. Just that, if for some unfathomable reason, Sakurai decides to include another Sonic character for this upcoming pair of games, it would be the black blur as opposed to the two-tailed fox boy.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
So just because Nintendo buys SEGA, suddenly Sonic gets as many characters as freaking Pokemon? That absolutely would not happen.

Their relationship with Nintendo being so good right now, I could see a buyout/merger being possible. They definitely won't get as many characters as Pokemon, hell, even Mario doesn't have as many, but I have no doubts in my mind that if Sega became a part of Nintendo they would get more characters. They could easily have 3 or 4 but they would most likely have to be originals (by originals, I mean debuted on the Genesis.) It could be Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Robotnik/Eggman. That would be a very complete set of characters for Sonic IMO, any other Sonic friends would not be well accepted. As far as other series go, I don't know much else about Sega, so I can't really say. I would say someone like Stryder could be a good addition though (Im sure there are others, but like I said, not a huge Sega fan other than Sonic, and the last one I played was Adventure 2, which was one of my favorite games of all time.)

Eh, I wouldn't expect them to buy back Rare, if anything, they'd probably just buy the IP's back.
They would probably only go for Banjo-Kazooie, which I would be okay with. It has so much potential to be another cash cow for Nintendo. Other series I would think they might go for would be Conker or Jet Force Gemini. But Conker would probably be passed up due to its mature content and similarities to BK, JFG would be pretty interesting to have back (Note: Sakurai had Lupus on his popularity polls for Brawl.) Could be some interesting stuff especially with the HD graphics and Gamepad. JFG has a lot of potential for improvements and, again, could possibly be another cash cow for Nintendo.

There are some good IPs from Rare that i sure do miss, but I don't really want them back. Perfect Dark comes to mind, and while it is a great shooter, it would fall into the generic FPS game, where most games lie nowadays. Also, I think a game like that is better suited for the Xbox, shooters dont do too well on Nintendo consoles and don't really fit the bill. With the game on Xbox 360, I think its best that it stays there. A new IP can be made for a shooter if Nintendo really wants it.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
If Ninty had Rare and Sega i could see no more than 2 sonic reps

Sonic
Tails

B&K
Mumbo

But i bet most people would want Shadow & Grunty as 2nd Rep for each.

I dont care fo Sonic series but Sidekicks always over prioritize Villians.......

Ow my.....Grunty.....would be sooo damn sick! Too good for Words RealTalk......

Jinjo or Jamjars........

Could Banjo have 3 Reps?
meh.......pointless talking about this......ow no now i cant stop thinking about playable Grunty..... :(

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
The only Sonic character I would want is Tails.

Or Blaze, but that would never, ever happen. :(
The only Sonic character I want is Sonic.

Arms the Kitsune, Nipples the Enchilada, Emo the Edgehog, Original the Character, and all their other friends can stay away. Eggman would be pretty cool though, but third parties getting a second character just feels wrong. Hell, just having too many third parties in general is a really ****ty thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom