• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Why is OG Ganon not argued about?

Heavy-weight trident and magic user. Don't know about you guys but I've faced him more times than Zant, Vaati and Ghirahim combined. He could represent the older Zelda games.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Why argue between Ghirahim and Demise when we have Vaati? :awesome:
I support Vaati more than Ghirahim or Demise. Vaati's been in multiple games and has his own backstory.
Not even close, Ghirahim is the show until the last 10 minutes unlike zant where it was clear that ganondorf was the master mind at half game, I'm not saying ghirahim is more important than demise canonically, but he is indeed very important to the franchise as link and zelda would have never found out who they were if it wasn't for ghirahim, Sakurai doesn't count slots but characters, sakurai had to work in zelda characters and worked on 4 characters for mario which still means that zelda got more characters than mario in brawl in the end and like I said before How do you know there won't be a 6th mario rep?
A pawn is a pawn. And that's all Ghirahim was. In Four Swords Adventures, Vaati was the "antagonist" until Ganon popped up in the final fight. Vaati was a puppet in that game with little to no warning Ganon was there. Ghirahim was the same way. Also, Ghirahim was just a catalyst- I'm pretty sure Link and Zelda, and Groose for that matter, would have went to the ground at some point anyways- i'm pretty sure NPCs talked about the land below before which would imply people were interested in going below. And if people did go below the clouds, Link and Zelda would have eventually met Impa and that would've been a meeting on better terms than they met in.

And, my opinion is we won't be seeing another Mario rep. I personally think 5 is good for all 3 of the major series. But again, opinions.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
And not to mention that Ness is never leaving Super Smash Bros nor anybody else from the original 64 roster.
Wasn't Lucas originally planned to replace Ness in Brawl? I mean I know it didn't happen, but if that is true, then there is a chance that "nothing is sacred" in Sakurai's eyes.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo

Heavy-weight trident and magic user. Don't know about you guys but I've faced him more times than Zant, Vaati and Ghirahim combined. He could represent the older Zelda games.
Because admittedly he wasn't at his best in the Oracle games IMO.
He was easy once you figured out his attacks (and yes, even without the Master Sword).

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman

He is brought up on occasion. The biggest arguments against him are that all of the games he was in are quite old, and there seems to be a focus on bringing in the 'new faces' to this Smash. He's also less popular because he hasn't made an appearance recently, and it seems Nintendo has replaced him with human Ganondorf entirely. Brawl-Ganondorf's final smash is another strike against him. I'd be super into it; until someone put forth a cohesive argument for Ghirahim I thought he was a fantastic choice, and if I was the one in charge I'd probably still put him in.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Wasn't Lucas originally planned to replace Ness in Brawl? I mean I know it didn't happen, but if that is true, then there is a chance that "nothing is sacred" in Sakurai's eyes.
Yes, but Ness was kept because Mother 3 was delayed in Japan. Sakurai must've learned that planning to cut characters from the original game was a dumb move by now

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Still, it'd be depressing if any of the two left.
Heck, I can't use the two for the life of me. And even I would hate to see one cut.

Last edited:

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
Yes, but Ness was kept because Mother 3 was delayed in Japan. Sakurai must've learned that planning to cut characters from the original game was a dumb move by now
I'm sorry, but how do you know what Sakurai has "learned"?
Has he said anything to indicate this?

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
I support Vaati more than Ghirahim or Demise. Vaati's been in multiple games and has his own backstory.
A pawn is a pawn. And that's all Ghirahim was. In Four Swords Adventures, Vaati was the "antagonist" until Ganon popped up in the final fight. Vaati was a puppet in that game with little to no warning Ganon was there. Ghirahim was the same way. Also, Ghirahim was just a catalyst- I'm pretty sure Link and Zelda, and Groose for that matter, would have went to the ground at some point anyways- i'm pretty sure NPCs talked about the land below before which would imply people were interested in going below. And if people did go below the clouds, Link and Zelda would have eventually met Impa and that would've been a meeting on better terms than they met in.

And, my opinion is we won't be seeing another Mario rep. I personally think 5 is good for all 3 of the major series. But again, opinions.
And Ghirahim is the pawn that is responsible for the resurrection of demise and therefore the existance of all villains in the series, without ghirahim, ganondorf, vaati, malladus, etc would have never existed in the first place, where did you get that? Nobody but Link and groose got the pair to go underground, And why would they go? The only reason Link go in the first place was to find zelda, And why did zelda got lost? Because Ghirahim attacked them, your argument is a fan theory that has no backups, We are likely to see more than 5 reps for pokemon so why not mario and zelda too?

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
He is brought up on occasion. The biggest arguments against him are that all of the games he was in are quite old, and there seems to be a focus on bringing in the 'new faces' to this Smash. He's also less popular because he hasn't made an appearance recently, and it seems Nintendo has replaced him with human Ganondorf entirely. Brawl-Ganondorf's final smash is another strike against him. I'd be super into it; until someone put forth a cohesive argument for Ghirahim I thought he was a fantastic choice, and if I was the one in charge I'd probably still put him in.
I also thought he wouldn't appear again, but after playing (not much of a spoiler)
A Link Between Worlds
I think he could appear in most handheld Zelda games. Making him relevant again.

D

Deleted member

Lucas was never intended to replace Ness in Brawl, that was Melee.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
Still, it'd be depressing if any of the two left.
Heck, I can't use the two for the life of me. And even I would hate to see one cut.
I can agree with that sentiment to some degree, but I'm sure I'd be over either of there losses relatively soon.
And yeah, they can be hard to use. I think mostly cuz mastering pk thunder 2 takes a bit of practice, but it's so much fun once you get it down, especially with Lucas and how well it allows him to recover.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I can with that sentiment to some degree, but I'm sure I'd be over either of there losses relatively soon.
Sure, but it's still sad. You can't deny that.
And yeah, they can be hard to use. I think mostly cuz mastering pk thunder 2 takes a bit of practice, but it's so much fun once you get it down, especially with Lucas and how well it allows him to recover.
It's really the physics for me, especially in Brawl. Other than that they're okay. Though I will have to work on PK Thunder.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
No, but it's kinda obvious that he's not cutting anyone from the original roster from any smash game.
How is it obvious? All we know is that cutting originals has been contemplated in the past. You are just talking based on your feelings, at this point we have no clue whether or not an original will be cut from this game. Do I think it will happen? probably not. But it's not that it can't happen, considering it was going to previously.

TheUnsullied

Smash Apprentice
I can agree with that sentiment to some degree, but I'm sure I'd be over either of there losses relatively soon.
You know... The thing that sucked about Ness' recovery is that it didn't pass through enemies. Once Ness' PK Thunder hit something it would disappear leaving Ness to die. It also had a wider turn taking longer to hit Ness.
The thing that made Lucas so much better than Ness is that his PK Thunder is a multi hit attack. It can pass through enemies and still hit Lucas to help him recover. Lucas' PK Thunder can also turn easier allowing it hit to hit him faster.
In conclusion, Lucas > Ness

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
I also thought he wouldn't appear again, but after playing (not much of a spoiler)
A Link Between Worlds
I think he could appear in most handheld Zelda games. Making him relevant again.
BOSS. Well, I hope he's a thing, then. I gotta play that game...

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well jumping off the ganon subject

:confused:Already but the first one came out less than a year ago

I guess that's another 5% for playable pac-man since he got another chance already

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
And Ghirahim is the pawn that is responsible for the resurrection of demise and therefore the existance of all villains in the series, without ghirahim, ganondorf, vaati, malladus, etc would have never existed in the first place, where did you get that? Nobody but Link and groose got the pair to go underground, And why would they go? The only reason Link go in the first place was to find zelda, And why did zelda got lost? Because Ghirahim attacked them, your argument is a fan theory that has no backups, We are likely to see more than 5 reps for pokemon so why not mario and zelda too?
But you just contradicted yourself: the existence of all villains in the series isn't Ghirahim- it's Demise. He was sealed and Ghirahim sought to free him. And Link already knew something was up- he had the dream of Demise as the Imprisoned. And not quite a fan theory, "The headmaster told me there's land beneath the clouds... Do you know anything about that?" - Owlan. The Skyloftians knew about the land below. Early on, the Loftwings won't fly through the cloud barrier, but at the end, Cawlin and Strich's fly down through the barrier to meet Groose. This shows the Loftwings will fly to the land below. Like I said, Ghirahim was a cataylst- the Skyloftians would have explored the land eventually.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Ganon would make my life. He's more deserving than even Ganondorf.

And with two forms of Zelda and Link, any argument about him being "just another Ganondorf" seems null.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Really? Where is your evidence that Jiggs almost left?
She was low priority and was one of the last characters added to the game, which is why she's unlocked so late and has no role in the Subspace Emmisarry.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
Warning Received
Ganon would make my life. He's more deserving than even Ganondorf.

And with two forms of Zelda and Link, any argument about him being "just another Ganondorf" seems null.
That's true... but we all know that Ghirahim will be the new Zelda character if there's one

(I'm kidding, i just want Ghirahim in SSB but Ganon is a good idea, lets wait and see, i'm pretty sure that...

*The Sensus Crustulum*

Smash Journeyman
Well jumping off the ganon subject

:confused:Already but the first one came out less than a year ago

I guess that's another 5% for playable pac-man since he got another chance already
So.... I guess there is another game because of high demand? Right?
And were they already planning a sequel already? Namco just needs $ I suppose.
Did the first one even did well? Because the only reason is probably Namco needing $.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
That's true... but we all know that Ghirahim will be the new Zelda character if there's one

(I'm kidding, i just want Ghirahim in SSB but Ganon is a good idea, lets wait and see, i'm pretty sure that...
I don't know. I think the most recurring antagonist is more important than Ghirahim, myself.

So.... I guess there is another game because of high demand? Right?
And were they already planning a sequel already? Namco just needs $ I suppose.
Did the first one even did well? Because the only reason is probably Namco needing $.
The first game flopped. Horribly flopped, actually. I'm really surprised they're going through with a second one, myself.

(Here's hoping it's the World 2 of the Ghostly Adventures series.)

*The Sensus Crustulum*

Smash Journeyman
The first game flopped. Horribly flopped, actually. I'm really surprised they're going through with a second one, myself.

(Here's hoping it's the World 2 of the Ghostly Adventures series.)
I assume they thought that the game and the TV show were going to be a big success that they already thought about sequel.
The game does however increases Pac-Man's chances.
I wouldn't really mind Pac-Man's inclusion but I wouldn't really care also.
I used to have some much respect for the character, but now he is really just living of his name.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Really? Where is your evidence that Jiggs almost left?
Well, there is no evidence, but Jigglypuff is normally one of the first characters you unlock in 64 and Melee, and in Brawl she was one of the last, not in the main story of the Subspace Emissary, and was never revealed until the game came out. So there's no evidence, but there's really strong coincidence.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
Demise or no new Zelda newcomers
Demise? Ganon is way more likely and Ghirahim too, but why Ghirahim if he wasn't even the last boss, you may ask, well... Ghirahim is way more popular than Demise, he's way more liked, we saw him way more than Demise, he's even harder to beat than Demise...

I don't know. I think the most recurring antagonist is more important than Ghirahim, myself.
That's true, but Ghirahim is from the last zelda console game (ignoring WW HD cause it was a remake), also he's really popular right now and if Nintendo is thinking on using him again in the future, these could be the chance to do that, also not all the character that we have are one of the most recurring characters... (Sheik)

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I assume they thought that the game and the TV show were going to be a big success that they already thought about sequel.
The game does however increases Pac-Man's chances.
I wouldn't really mind Pac-Man's inclusion but I wouldn't really care also.
I used to have some much respect for the character, but now he is really just living of his name.
They're still trying to push it. I know that the show itself is surprisingly popular among kids, so maybe they're going to be upping their advertising and whatnot to try and get the games to sell.

I understand your opinion, but I definitely am looking forward to him.

*The Sensus Crustulum*

Smash Journeyman
That's true, but Ghirahim is from the last zelda console game (ignoring WW HD cause it was a remake), also he's really popular right now and if Nintendo is thinking on using him again in the future, these could be the chance to do that, also not all the character that we have are one of the most recurring characters... (Sheik)
Not trying to backseat modship or bite your neck but you need to edit your post if you want to double post.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
You know... The thing that sucked about Ness' recovery is that it didn't pass through enemies. Once Ness' PK Thunder hit something it would disappear leaving Ness to die. It also had a wider turn taking longer to hit Ness.
The thing that made Lucas so much better than Ness is that his PK Thunder is a multi hit attack. It can pass through enemies and still hit Lucas to help him recover. Lucas' PK Thunder can also turn easier allowing it hit to hit him faster.
In conclusion, Lucas > Ness
I agree, the one advantage Ness has over Lucas is his pk thunder 2 can send people out at like 50%. Whereas Lucas needs them usually at around 120% to send them. But yeah for recovery purposes Lucas is so much better, not only is it easier to control but Lucas travels so much further. I always love it when people would taunt after I would go off the bottom of the screen (they would assume I could not recover) and then rocket myself back up to the platform from the abyss.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom