• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Question, who would be the one character that would redeem an otherwise terrible roster for you? (Likelihood of the character doesn't matter.)
I've said before that I would take a roster full of Miis if Banjo was on it, Banjo is worth it.

But for this game, as long as Snake returns and King K. Rool joins I'll be moderately satisfied.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Question, who would be the one character that would redeem an otherwise terrible roster for you? (Likelihood of the character doesn't matter.)

If you have to ask for mine, I'll shoot you.
My choice is obvious, but I wouldn't start declaring a terrible roster not terrible because of K. Rool's inclusion. My personal tastes don't necessarily match up with what would be considered an overall solid roster. Like, I'd play almost exclusively as him and Bowser/DK/Diddy/Dedede/Ganondorf/Wario, so the rest of the roster wouldn't affect my personal enjoyment, but I'd be pissed for you guys if, like, no other fan favorites got in for you all to enjoy.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
They should put Rodney the Hare in Smash.

Oops, I've now mentioned Rodney the Hare, you know what that means...

*Rodney the Hare gets shown off at E3*

"People were talking about Rodney the Hare! People could have guessed Rodney the Hare! He got lucky!"
I'd prefer that asshole beetle from Donkey Kong 64.

Why? Because traumatizing war flashbacks.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
As far as I'm concerned, if there are characters I don't like at first, I'll grow to love them of my own will.

I'm pretty sure at least a few characters I was rooting for will get in, so I'll be good. I never expected every single big name character to make it, so if the Sal leak is true, then I'll probably be set.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
I don't know...
I could've sworn you were huge fan of one character...
He was, like, a member of a more generic species that's famous in his franchise, but with an official individual name, and he wears something on his head and was playable in one main-series title
Wait, I got it...

:troll:

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I always thought it was a bit far fetched to get all the big guys.
We already have Mega Man and Mac, and it doesn't look like we're getting Ridley.
So I think it's possible we get Palutena, K. Rool, and Mewtwo.
I see no reason for them to be passed up.

D

Deleted member

"People were talking about Rodney the Hare! People could have guessed Rodney the Hare! He got lucky!"
So....this is my new Star Fox game? Peppy's son?!? Oh, OK..... :troll:

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero

"Well, duh. Of course he's a good addition. I always thought Rodney would make for a good and unique character. Not sure why people thought he was unlikely. Just like Rosalina and Wii Fit Trainer. No hindsight bias here!"

----

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Demise over ghirahim as well as Krystal over duck hunt and it's a 10/10
Demise seems pretty cloney to me, especially if we get a sword-using Ganondorf.

I added Duck Hunt Dog because I needed a retro, and DHD seemed like the perfect choice.

Perfect Roster I still don't think chorus men are likely
10/10

I like that you recognized that snake and Pac-Man can coexist Unlike some people
Wow!
That's the first time someone ever gave my roster a 10/10!
Thank you!

I think you'll like my roster. Do you want to see it?
EDIT: I'm posting it regardless.
View attachment 12965
Same old Drill. Top Left is main roster. Bottom Left is DLC. Right is honorable mentions. I'd like feedback.
Put Lucas on the main roster, and add Porky as DLC.
Then it's a 9/10 overall.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
In Brawl, it was definitely far-fetched to get all of the big guys, because there were just so many of them (thanks, Melee roster). This time, it shouldn't have been far-fetched, since there were only six big guys left, four if you really want to narrow things down, and four/six isn't an unreasonable number to add. Sakurai being Sakurai is the only reason their simultaneous inclusion comes across as far-fetched, which is unfortunate, but fingers crossed, he won't bungle around this time.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
How silly of me. Here's what it should look like.
Will this is underwhelming.
There are no more newcomers on this roster.
And only 45 characters? With no more transformations it should be more than that.
If you don't think we're getting at least one more newcomer by E3 you're bonkers.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I always thought it was a bit far fetched to get all the big guys.
We already have Mega Man and Mac, and it doesn't look like we're getting Ridley.
So I think it's possible we get Palutena, K. Rool, and Mewtwo.
I see no reason for them to be passed up.
Palutena is a lock as far as I'm concerned. I still have confidence in Mewtwo, but I won't be too upset if he doesn't make it, simply because Greninja looks so awesome to me.

K.Rool...I'd really like to see him. However, I can't say I would be really upset over him getting cut. I'm an easy to please fan. I think the game can thrive without SOME top choices. But all of them? I don't think so.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
In Brawl, it was definitely far-fetched to get all of the big guys, because there were just so many of them (thanks, Melee roster). This time, it shouldn't have been far-fetched, since there were only six big guys left, four if you really want to narrow things down, and four/six isn't an unreasonable number to add. Sakurai being Sakurai is the only reason their simultaneous inclusion comes across as far-fetched, which is unfortunate, but fingers crossed, he won't bungle around this time.
Can you please say specifically who these 6 "big guys are," because I have no clue at all and my brain hurts.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Warning Received
Will this is underwhelming.
There are no more newcomers on this roster.
And only 45 characters? With no more transformations it should be more than that.
If you don't think we're getting at least one more newcomer by E3 you're bonkers.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
It's pretty safe to assume that as long as Sakurai is in charge of directing, we're not going to see certain characters on the roster due to whatever philosophy that strange little man follows. Like for example, he may see Ridley as not viable as a playable character due to... I don't know being too purple or whatever, and thinks being in some sort of boss format is more fitting. Though at the same time, we have no idea if having a different prospective at play will influence a lot.

Also, I'd at least expect Palutena or King K. Rool, especially for the latter since he's an obvious character to fill in the heavyweight quota we're oddly missing at the moment (unless Mega Man counts).

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
It's pretty safe to assume that as long as Sakurai is in charge of directing, we're not going to see certain characters on the roster due to whatever philosophy that strange little man follows. Like for example, he may see Ridley as not viable as a playable character due to... I don't know being too purple or whatever, and thinks being in some sort of boss format is more fitting. Though at the same time, we have no idea if having a different prospective at play will influence a lot.

Also, I'd at least expect Palutena or King K. Rool, especially for the latter since he's an obvious character to fill in the heavyweight quota we're oddly missing at the moment (unless Mega Man counts).
Unless he clarifies in some interview, the assumption I'd make if just one big guy gets left out is that Sakurai personally has some opposition that character for whatever reason (Ridley being the most probable victim of this as of now). If two or more are out, however, it'll seem as though he's no longer interested in big guys beyond a token slot or two for Mega Man and Little Mac.

The Big Six, in order, is/was Mewtwo, Mega Man, K. Rool, Ridley, Little Mac, and Palutena @ Mega Bidoof Mega Bidoof . As of now, we have two confirmed, and two as locks partially due to external factors (Pokemon Company and Sakurai bias). A good track record thus far, let's just hope it continues.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Mega Man
Little Mac
Palutena
Mewtwo
King K. Rool
And Ridley, the biggest one of all.
You have Mega Man and Mewtwo and Little Mac and Palutena.
K. Rool and Shulk and Chrom and Pac-Man.
But do you recaaaaaaaaaaaal, the biggest Smash candidate of aaaaalll.

Doshin the yellow giant! :troll:

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Warning Received
N3ON said:
-removed-
Oh please, I've done nothing wrong. But if it makes you feel any better, here...have all my points. Now don't go spending all those points at once you silly moderator. :^)

Last edited by a moderator:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Oh please, I've done nothing wrong. But if it makes you feel any better, here...have all my points. Now don't go spending all those points at once you silly moderator. :^)
You had a good run buddy.

You're so screwed.

EDIT: Apparently I have an infraction too for this post:
Rodney: *does a barrel roll*
Peppy: "Your'e just like your father, which is me."

Last edited:

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
My roster will be up soon. @Tillie-152 I have a few placeholders in my roster, so can you send me the Ken Griffey Jr. Icon?

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
Oh man, I missed talking about how great an idea Mach Rider and Paper Mario is? That is so unfortunate. Also to answer another question from earlier; what one character could redeem an otherwise terrible roster?

Honestly? Already a moot point; Little Mac, Mega Man, Villager, Sheik, TLink... I'm content.

That being said, if every other newcomer from here on out was terrible other than one, the one I'd want would be Mach Rider. The idea of a mounted character sounds so goddamn boss to me. Paper Mario, Shulk, Ridley, and many others could all fill a similar role, but Mach Rider beats them all. He was one of the few I supported in my Brawl days, with Ridley, Skull Kid, Paper Mario, and Masked Man. (My Brawl support set did not go well for me.)

Also, the arguments for Ghirahim a couple pages back were convincing to the point that I now consider him much more likely. Kudos!

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
My new prediction roster

Alphonzo is Chorus Kids from Rhythm Heaven, he is taking the spot while I dont have an icon.
I think expecting more than 50 characters is setting yourself up for disappointment. Outside of that? Eh, the only things I would be looking forward to on this roster are Ridley, Shulk, and K. Rool. I don't like Demise or Krystal, and I'm indifferent to the rest of your roster. Add to that the absence of my most wanted characters, and I'd be ambivalent to this roster. Also, you added a rather large number of heavyweights, which I'm not super into. I imagine it would certainly make some people happy though, I'm just not one of them xD

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Demise is so cool, also it goes with the whole 2 of each thing they got going on for zelda. (Link, Toon Link) (Zelda, Shiek) (Ganondorf, Demise)

Also i dont know how to get new icons....
But...no it doesn't...you made that a pattern by adding Demise...

Demise isn't Ganon...besides, both Toon Link and Sheik stand out greatly from the counterparts. Ghirahim is like the opposite of Ganon, so by that logic, it makes much more sense to have contrasting villains from the same evil force.

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
But...no it doesn't...you made that a pattern by adding Demise...

Demise isn't Ganon...besides, both Toon Link and Sheik stand out greatly from the counterparts. Ghirahim is like the opposite of Ganon, so by that logic, it makes much more sense to have contrasting villains from the same evil force.
Or even better, actually have Pig Ganon as the sixth Zelda newcomer. Now we actually have a proper theme going. I think Ghirahim is a lot more likely though, and the recent arguments for him make me think he's actually got a shot, not something I though before. I'd still prefer pig Ganon though.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You're complaining about... a zero-point warning for something stated to be explicitly prohibited in the OP? My my.

Well, it was indeed justified, but if you'd like to discuss it, feel free to take it back to that PM. And please don't bring criticisms about the decisions of the mods to a public area like this again, where it is quite inappropriate and in absolutely no way relevant to the topic of the thread.

You had a good run buddy.

You're so screwed.

EDIT: Apparently I have an infraction too for this post:
You sure do, now please stay on topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom