• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Hey. Listen. You're right.

Here's my logic:

Marth and Ike are a given.
Chrom and Lucina are both popular. Both are likely easy(er) to design.

Also, because Lucina could be interpreted as "Toon" Marth.
Ike is not a given. Marth is a given because he was confirmed. Ike has not been confirmed, and I daresay that he's not as likely as characters like Wario and Meta Knight.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Ike is not a given. Marth is a given because he was confirmed. Ike has not been confirmed, and I daresay that he's not as likely as characters like Wario and Meta Knight.
Considering the fact that Lucario is in, and that Sakurai cares a lot more about retaining characters than adding new ones, I have no idea why Ike of all people would be cut.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Hey. Listen. You're right.

Here's my logic:

Marth and Ike are a given.
Chrom and Lucina are both popular. Both are likely easy(er) to design.

Also, because Lucina could be interpreted as "Toon" Marth.
Shulk and Isaac are both popular. And being easy to implement really only matters if Sakurai is looking for semi-clones. Unless Krystal would be a semi-clone, Isaac still has more in his favour (as do the other three).
And by "Toon Marth" do you just mean... a Marth semi-clone?

Regardless, people who assume Shulk and Isaac would specifically keep the other out make me wonder how much about those characters people actually know. They wouldn't play anything alike, and their similarities are shallow surface likenesses, nothing more. Nothing that would actually overlap with the playstyle of the other...

Oh and if it's not too late for six Mario characters I don't see how it's too late for four DK characters...

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Also, I changed my previous roster a little bit. I now has an even 54 characters, I believe.

View attachment 12940
Cut Nightmare and added Paper Mario and Krystal. I only added Krystal because there was literally no one else that made sense to add.

Also, I researched Krystal, it turns out she added a dynamic of sexism to Starfox that wasn't there before. She could've been a cool, progressive character in Dinosaur Planet, but nope, had to become a damsel for Fox to save just because the one of the protagonists looked like Fox. Ugh.
Can I ask where does the Mach Rider artwork come from?
.n_n.

D

Deleted member

She could've been a cool, progressive character in Dinosaur Planet, but nope, had to become a damsel for Fox to save just because the one of the protagonists looked like Fox. Ugh.
Good thing that she changed in Assault....and erughgh, Command.

jweb22

Smash Apprentice
Well, since I've seen a ton of people putting up their rosters I guess I should put mine up for scrutiny as well.

Now these are my realistic expectations, so allow me to explain that I used a few of my wants that actually have a chance of getting in while also using the still live leak to fill in other spots. Also understand that I didn't upload better pics to my roster maker so I had to use the only Rhythm Heaven pic I had to represent the Chorus Men.

Another thing, I firmly believe the argument that "we can't have 2 blonde hair, swordsman" from 2 completely different series that do completely different things is the dumbest argument I ever heard! So please refrain from that silliness!

For some reason my pic didn't work, here's my roster.

Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Rosalina
DK, Diddy, Dixie, Yoshi, Wario
Link, Toon Link, Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf
Pikachu, Charizard, Lucario, Greninja, Jigglypuff
Kirby, King Dedede, Meta Knight, Pit, Palutena
Fox, Wolf, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Captain Falcon
Marth, Chrom, Ness, Shulk, Issac
Olimar, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Chorus Men/Marshall, Mr. G&W
R.O.B., Ice Climbers, Lip, Little Mac, Takamaru
Sonic, Megaman, Snake, Pacman, (Random Icon)

I think Miis are in but I think they will only be in a special mode as they are probably tied to the customization movesets.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Well, since I've seen a ton of people putting up their rosters I guess I should put mine up for scrutiny as well.

Now these are my realistic expectations, so allow me to explain that I used a few of my wants that actually have a chance of getting in while also using the still live leak to fill in other spots. Also understand that I didn't upload better pics to my roster maker so I had to use the only Rhythm Heaven pic I had to represent the Chorus Men.

Another thing, I firmly believe the argument that "we can't have 2 blonde hair, swordsman" from 2 completely different series that do completely different things is the dumbest argument I ever heard! So please refrain from that silliness!

C:\Users\Joe Webster\Downloads\Expected roster
I don't necessarily interpret the argument as valid, it is inherently fallacious. That being said, I still adhere to the perspective. There is no objectivity to support why, it is just something that I personally believe.

Also, your roster isn't showing up for me, maybe you could embed it?

jweb22

Smash Apprentice
I don't necessarily interpret the argument as valid, it is inherently fallacious. That being said, I still adhere to the perspective. There is no objectivity to support why, it is just something that I personally believe.

Also, your roster isn't showing up for me, maybe you could embed it?
Yeah, I had to type it in because the image wouldn't work for some reason. The text should be up there now.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Was there just a conversation about underrated characters who'd be awesome in-game?

Try this guy on for size.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
View attachment 12947

Just because everyone is posting a roster.
You sir have waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many pokemon

Was there just a conversation about underrated characters who'd be awesome in-game?

Yes!!! Thank you! Someone else who appreciates King Boo!

Luigi is important enough to get his own villain! Screw Mario and Bowser!

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
View attachment 12947

Just because everyone is posting a roster.
I thought the roster was pretty standard until I witnessed the Pokemon section pouring into other columns. That IS over-saturation. I highly doubt we will get that many Pokemon characters whilst receiving no additional Mario or Zelda characters. I don't necessarily believe that the roster has to be proportional, but seriously?

Cpt.

Smash Lord
If Shulk and Isaac are both in the game, then Isaac will not use his sword. Which is probably a better decision regardless.
He doesn't really have too since he has a LOT of attacks, but every picture i've seen of him, he has his sword, so it would be a little weird.

jweb22

Smash Apprentice

I'm sure he's in the game but as a Boss Character for a new Luigi's Mansion stage.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
I thought the roster was pretty standard until I witnessed the Pokemon section pouring into other columns. That IS over-saturation. I highly doubt we will get that many Pokemon characters whilst receiving no additional Mario or Zelda characters. I don't necessarily believe that the roster has to be proportional, but seriously?
I just felt bad not including them. I will cry rivers if any character is cut, even if it is a character I don't play as. I included Squirtle and Ivysaur in order not to cry because they're "deconfirmed". But they still have a chance, you never know.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627

For some reason my pic didn't work, here's my roster.

Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Rosalina
DK, Diddy, Dixie, Yoshi, Wario
Link, Toon Link, Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf
Pikachu, Charizard, Lucario, Greninja, Jigglypuff
Kirby, King Dedede, Meta Knight, Pit, Palutena
Fox, Wolf, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Captain Falcon
Marth, Chrom, Ness, Shulk, Issac
Olimar, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Chorus Men/Marshall, Mr. G&W
R.O.B., Ice Climbers, Lip, Little Mac, Takamaru
Sonic, Megaman, Snake, Pacman, (Random Icon)

I think Miis are in but I think they will only be in a special mode as they are probably tied to the customization movesets.
You cut Falco who's been there since Melee and left in Snake who's third party? I...I don't understand...

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
He doesn't really have too since he has a LOT of attacks, but every picture i've seen of him, he has his sword, so it would be a little weird.
unless its like ganondorf lol "carries a sword for show"

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Also, I changed my previous roster a little bit. I now has an even 54 characters, I believe.

View attachment 12940
Cut Nightmare and added Paper Mario and Krystal. I only added Krystal because there was literally no one else that made sense to add.

Also, I researched Krystal, it turns out she added a dynamic of sexism to Starfox that wasn't there before. She could've been a cool, progressive character in Dinosaur Planet, but nope, had to become a damsel for Fox to save just because the one of the protagonists looked like Fox. Ugh.
I'd only remove Ghirahim, Lucina, and Mach Rider. Keep Krystal though

Morbi

Scavenger
You cut Falco who's been there since Melee and left in Snake who's third party? I...I don't understand...
That is honestly one of the biggest reasons I believe that Snake should be omitted; as a matter of principle. There are other prominent Nintendo characters; characters people have experienced over the expanse of the decade, perhaps even longer. It doesn't seem right to keep Snake under those circumstances. But whatever happens, happens.

jweb22

Smash Apprentice
With customization of movesets, you can easily make Fox do ALL of Falco's moves. Same goes for Ness doing all of Lucas's moves. I know the customized moves can't be used online against strangers but I still see no point in adding them when their moves can be created. Also, I wonder if Snake will return but I'm sure the whole Snake thing was a smokescreen and he'll be back...at least I hope that's the case.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
With customization of movesets, you can easily make Fox do ALL of Falco's moves. Same goes for Ness doing all of Lucas's moves. I know the customized moves can't be used online against strangers but I still see no point in adding them when their moves can be created. Also, I wonder if Snake will return but I'm sure the whole Snake thing was a smokescreen and he'll be back...at least I hope that's the case.
I feel like he won't with too many third-party already being in the game. Plus snake feels out of place in ssb in my eyes.

Im sure snake will get replaced just like Ike "B moves" being transferred to Little mac "B moves". IMO

Cpt.

Smash Lord

since everyone is posting one apparently, here is my newest one based off the leak.

the odd man out is Marshal from Rhythm heaven.

Eight Melodies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DestroyerGiygas
Then those characters are still in the game, only being reduced to movesets for another character. Might as well have them as a full character.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
Prediction Roster.png

Updated roster! Now, before you say "The trainer is deconfirmed", I know that.

The trainer isn't a playable character like in Brawl. Instead, when you choose him, a menu appears where you can choose between Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard. The trainer is in the background giving orders, but he can't switch Pokemon.

With customization of movesets, you can easily make Link do ALL of Toon Link's moves. Your point?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well, there is one way to get a certain Platinium Games character into SSB4...:troll:

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman

since everyone is posting one apparently, here is my newest one based off the leak.

the odd man out is Marshal from Rhythm heaven.
Close to my roster, only difference is Ridley and Ike being there. lol

Morbi

Scavenger
View attachment 12948

Updated roster! Now, before you say "The trainer is deconfirmed", I know that.

The trainer isn't a playable character like in Brawl. Instead, when you choose him, a menu appears where you can choose between Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard. The trainer is in the background giving orders, but he can't switch Pokemon.
That would be a cool concept; but isn't it confirmed that Charizard is alone? So it isn't as though this could actualize.

Also; I find it funny that Pokemon still pours over into a separate column.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom