• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Funny you should mention that.
I even did a word search, and not one time did I see "We're considering merging with Sega".
Or heck, anything with Sega in it.
So, in other words. I still don't see your point.
It says they're considering Merging with smaller companies, SEGA does qualify under this, but if were gonna discuss it further, let's take it to a social thread

D

Deleted member

I find it weird that Gekkouga would be included weeks, if not month after Pokémon X & Y released. Sakurai has said it himself that he adds characters during the pre-production stage because adding characters later on disrupt the process of development. While he has made exceptions; they were because either he had more than enough room to add more characters (Melee) or because the character was so popular that Sakurai had no choice but to add said character (Sonic and that character created disruption with developments; causing a delay).

I guess you could say that they had a spot in mind for a Pokémon X & Y character and planned around it, but including a new Pokémon week after X & Y release would require the entire roster (and to an extent, the game) to be balanced with the new character in mind, potentially having to make serious changes with plans. There's also the fact that Pokémon X & Y had been in development for 3.5 years; in other words, this game has been in the works for since around the start of the 5th gen. I doubt Game Freak just sat around and wait for which Pokémon was the next hot one to suggest late in development, especially when adding an unique Pokémon late in development has the potential to interfere with development. I wouldn't be surprised if Game Freak asked Sakurai to include a Pokémon X & Y character and they agreed on what characters would work best as a new fighter; going with Gekkouga for that.
http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1970393/pokemon_in_super_smash_bros_how_theyre_selected.html

Again, it is unreasonable to believe Greninja would be decided upon before X/Y came out because:
-Unknown to public, therefore could not be a "hot" Pokémon.
-Wasn't in the anime or in the movies because, again, unknown to public.
-No way to know if it would be central to discussions going forward because, again, unknown to public.

It would beg the question why Greninja in the first place, as opposed to the then known and "hot" Sylveon.
And even if Sakurai had access to the Pokémon unknown to the public (which its been implied he didn't) what would give the edge for the ninja frog as compared to the juggernaut badger or the wizard fox? Hell, we had a birdman luchador available too. One would think that if considering a Pokémon for Smash that would fit and be inevitably popular, he would have gone with Hawlucha instead of a starter Pokémon that has nothing over the others at that point in time and for all he knew could have been the least favorite of the three.
That'd be a huge risk to take.

So no, the only reason Greninja would have been chosen is because of its immense popularity that spawned in mere weeks after its debut.

It is also clear to me that you are confusing adding characters to the planned roster with adding them to the game itself.
The reason why Sonic was such an issue was because he was not initially planned in any way, shape or form. So when he was thrown in late, it threw a monkey wrench into development.
In this case, it's only a situation like Wolf. Added to the game later than most, but actually part of the initial plan. Specifically in Greninja's case, was part of a placeholder for a then undecided character, not unlike Ike and Lucario for Brawl going by what ChronoBound said about them.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
It says they're considering Merging with smaller companies, SEGA does qualify under this, but if were gonna discuss it further, let's take it to a social thread
Actually, I'd rather not.
This has already been done to death over and over again.
And I prefer not to continue a cycle that only ends in one conclusion.
We're not getting another Sonic character for Smash. And I'll leave it at that.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Actually, I'd rather not.
This has already been done to death over and over again.
And I prefer not to continue a cycle that only ends in one conclusion.
We're not getting another Sonic character for Smash. And I'll leave it at that.
Come to think of it, is that really what this is all about? A second Sonic character? Damn.
That'd be like including a character like Nightmare from Soulcalibur.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It doesn't matter that SEGA isn't mentioned in the article, it's still possible, so yes, Nintendo can and might buy SEGA in the near future. Anyway I'm leaving it at that.
I'm afraid you do not understand a thing about economics. And in general, there is nothing pointing towards one buying the other.

What is even more bizarre, is that I don't see how this relates to whether or not Shadow would get in the game. Before, you just claimed a second Sonic rep would make it before a bunch of other characters you liked because Sonic is really popular, which was already bad justification. Now you're just making up the most obtuse justification possible.

Nintendo will buy SEGA, and Shadow will be officially playable in Smash, when pigs fly.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I'm afraid you do not understand a thing about economics. And in general, there is nothing pointing towards one buying the other.

What is even more bizarre, is that I don't see how this relates to whether or not Shadow would get in the game. Before, you just claimed a second Sonic rep would make it before a bunch of other characters you liked because Sonic is really popular, which was already bad justification. Now you're just making up the most obtuse justification possible.

Nintendo will buy SEGA, and Shadow will be officially playable in Smash, when pigs fly.
There's just no use arguing anymore if nobody's giving in to the other side, we're just gonna have to let it go and agree that time will tell.
(And it's not solely about economics)

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I have a great idea, let's threaten Sega to make their own Super Smash Bros. clone with all the Sonic characters in the world. :troll:

Niala

Smash Ace
Not saying SEGA in particular does not mean SEGA qualifying is impossible
The opposite argument is just as true. That is to say, Not saying SEGA in particular does not mean SEGA qualifying is a likely outcome. Or even necessarily in the realm of possibilities, as far as Nintendo is concerned. That statement could mean something as small as "we're trying to buy small gaming companies," or something as huge as "we're debating merging with Playstation." Saying that SEGA is somewhere in the middle of that is true, but so is just about everything else.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
So, how 'bout that Yoshi?
I'm very happy with how he's gotten. He feels a lot more like he would in Mario.

D

Deleted member

Did somebody say....Fire Emblem discussion?

Malice > All other options that aren't Walhart.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I have a good character topic that I think hasn't been beaten to death yet!

Topic Question: Let's assume that Mewtwo returns and Zelda gets a newcomer. Pokémon and Zelda now have 6 characters (5 veterans and 1 newcomer).
What should happen to the Mario series, which only has 5 characters at the moment?
Should Dr. Mario return to even out the 5 vets and 1 newcomer thing, or does Yoshi/Wario already fill that veteran space?

Niala

Smash Ace
I think my qualm with Yoshi is still that his Egg Throw doesn't provide much in the way of recovery, even if his aerial jump is tantamount to an average up special with aerial jumps. Nonetheless, it still feels like he has fewer options.

As far as that question is concerned, I would have liked to see Bowser Jr. take a 6th spot, as far as somewhat realistic outcomes. As far as a wishlist pick... Maybe something like Dimentio? He's pretty neato.

Henry or bust.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I have a good character topic that I think hasn't been beaten to death yet!

Topic Question: Let's assume that Mewtwo returns and Zelda gets a newcomer. Pokémon and Zelda now have 6 characters (5 veterans and 1 newcomer).
What should happen to the Mario series, which only has 5 characters at the moment?
Should Dr. Mario return to even out the 5 vets and 1 newcomer thing, or does Yoshi/Wario already fill that veteran space?
I personally feel that WarioWare and Donkey Kong Country distance themselves from Mario to be considered their own universes. Yoshi, on the other hand, is still very much connected to Mario, you see Yoshi and Mario characters in their series, but you don't see DK or Wario characters (at least not often) in Mario.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
If we're going to receive a medical practitioner as a character it sure as hell won't be Dr. Mario or Dr. Luigi, they don't have official medical licenses nor have they taken the Hippocratic Oath.

If we're getting a doctor it's going to be a real one.
Derek Stiles M.D. Sutures In! :troll:

D

Deleted member

Leaf > everyone else.

Master Knight weapons + magic = super amazing potentials.

You know you want it.

@ Mega Bidoof Mega Bidoof : Mario has more than enough representation in regards to characters. Keep it as it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom