• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I stopped speculating once a character in the lowest tier possible I had on my chance tier list was confirmed.

Now I'm just going with the flow.
Pretty much this. I'm just giving up trying to predict him. Think as a community we got maybe...Diddy Kong's reveal date correct?

On the subject of veterans I'm curious to see if Mario's FLUDD has any tweaks that can make it more practical in the heat of combat(as well as if the Mario finale has been tweaked to a usable state), and wondering exactly what's going to happen with Wario in terms of moveset overhaul, if anything.

Naturally I'm also wondering what's happening with Ganondorf's moveset but that has been talked about to death.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Pretty much this. I'm just giving up trying to predict him. Think as a community we got maybe...Diddy Kong's reveal date correct?

On the subject of veterans I'm curious to see if Mario's FLUDD has any tweaks that can make it more practical in the heat of combat(as well as if the Mario finale has been tweaked to a usable state), and wondering exactly what's going to happen with Wario in terms of moveset overhaul, if anything.

Naturally I'm also wondering what's happening with Ganondorf's moveset but that has been talked about to death.
Nah, we got Peach and Dedede, too.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I don't know anyone who predicted Peach correctly.

Zelda, Dedede and arguably Diddy are the only ones we guessed right.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
In response to before...

Quite frankly, the only "surprise" from the Gematsu Leak is the Chorus Boys, and even so they make some sense, Rhythm Heaven being a pretty popular franchise and as big as Mother and Kid Icarus.

And if you want me to explain why Rosalina and Greninja make sense I can do that too.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
In response to before...

Quite frankly, the only "surprise" from the Gematsu Leak is the Chorus Boys, and even so they make some sense, Rhythm Heaven being a pretty popular franchise and as big as Mother and Kid Icarus.

And if you want me to explain why Rosalina and Greninja make sense I can do that too.
I'm fairly sure I know why Rosalina was picked, and have an inkling about Greninja but I guess I'd be interested to see if your reasonings are similar to mine.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'm fairly sure I know why Rosalina was picked, and have an inkling about Greninja but I guess I'd be interested to see if your reasonings are similar to mine.
Rosalina is a major character in one of the most critically acclaimed Mario games of all time.
Greninja is very popular Pokemon from Gen 6, probably THE most popular from that generation.
Neither were too requested for Smash, but they were very popular characters on their own.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Just thought I'd drop by and point out that the "Warning! Challenger Approaching!" banners that were put up after the Direct are gone now, all of a sudden. Also, NES Remix 2 comes out tomorrow. It may mean nothing in the end, but maybe we'll see Ice Climbers or something tomorrow.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Out of curiosity, since you seem to think we'll be getting a larger roster, when do you think they'll reveal those new characters? Do you think we'd get a bunch at E3, or do you think there will just be a lot of secret newcomers?
I think we're getting the last wave of characters at E3.
Mainly the hype builders, like Ridley, K. Rool, Mewtwo, Palutena, or Pac-Man.
Some other possibilities include Mii, Chrom, Ghirahim, or another suprise.
We will probably get come popular veterans too, like Captain Falcon, Ness, Jigglypuff, Snake, Ice Climbers, or Mr. Game & Watch, along with some ones that need revamps, like Meta Knight, Ganondorf, Lucas, and Wolf (NO MORE EXCESS LANDMASTERS!).

As for the rest, there probably will be a decent amount of secret characters, some of those being not-so-obvious characters, for example a Historical Retro, Professor Layton, or the Chorus Men.

That sounds similar to what I would say. I think the only cuts though will be Snake and maybe Lucus. Also, cutting Snake shows how Pack-Man can replace him.
I don't know why Lucas is the most popular character to be cut.
Besides for the fact he is a clone, he has no reason to be cut. Even if Sakurai decides to cut him due to his clone-status, shouldn't Wolf or Falcon go along with him?

Though I'm not sure about Snake being cut. It could go either way.
Even if he is cut, I can't see him being "replaced" by Pac-Man. If he were to be replaced, I'd see him being replaced by another Konami character, most likely Simon Belmont or Bomberman.
And maybe we could have Pac-Man in addition to that new Konami rep.

But we're probably going to see Snake, Ivysaur and Squirtle leave.
I took that into account.
In terms of roster slots, Ivysaur and Squirtle don't have that big of an effect, since they were on the same slot with Charizard, and the "Pokémon Trainer slot" still lives on in Charizard.

And as I said before, I don't see Snake being cut.

I'm also working on my next prediction roster, which I will post later today.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I've been thinking of possible DLC characters lately, I've narrowed the possibilities down to
Roy
Pichu
Mewtwo (If he don't return)
Shadow (Yeah, I know it's not likely)
Isaac
Sonic Boom alternate costume for Sonic
And Snake
Any thoughts?

Cpt.

Smash Lord
I've been thinking of possible DLC characters lately, I've narrowed the possibilities down to
Roy
Pichu
Isaac
And Snake
Any thoughts?
Snake won't be in if he's not on the main roster, and I'm starting to doubt that he will return. I don't think Pichu would come back either.

I can see
Mewtwo (if not returning)
Isaac
Roy

I don't really think there will be many if any DLC characters. Probably more costumes if anything.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Snake won't be in if he's not on the main roster, and I'm starting to doubt that he will return. I don't think Pichu would come back either.

I can see
Mewtwo (if not returning)
Isaac
Roy

I don't really think there will be many if any DLC characters. Probably more costumes if anything.
That's ok, don't worry, I doubt it too. I'm just expressing my opinion of what it would be if it did happen. But yes, Snake isn't happening that easy.

D

Deleted member

I took that into account.
In terms of roster slots, Ivysaur and Squirtle don't have that big of an effect, since they were on the same slot with Charizard, and the "Pokémon Trainer slot" still lives on in Charizard.

And as I said before, I don't see Snake being cut.

I'm also working on my next prediction roster, which I will post later today.
I don't understand.

Doesn't Sakurai go by individual characters themselves and not "slots"? That'd make it two cuts, not one.
Roy
Pichu
Isaac
And Snake
Any thoughts?
Shadow, Snake and Isaac are not going to be DLCs for this game. Snake and Isaac are either in from the start or they're not happening. Shadow is never getting in.

I'd also throw in Dr. Mario and Dixie Kong as possibilities. They're possible planned character that may get cut due to time/technical constraints.

D

Deleted member

He could, there is a lot of speculation about Nintendo buying SEGA, true that it won't affect this title, but it can affect the next one.
What exactly is Sega's financial situation?

I don't recall them being in any massive danger anytime soon.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
In terms of third parties, Dead or Alive will NEVER happen because it had little relevance to Nintendo and the females are "too big" to be playable.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
SEGA is in moderate financial danger. People say they're doing just fine, but they've been firing a lot of employees lately. That is not "just fine." Do I need to share a link to the video again? Because I will!
No, I don't remember them firing people. And by the looks of it they're doing just fine.
I don't see the problem here.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
SEGA is in moderate financial danger. People say they're doing just fine, but they've been firing a lot of employees lately. That is not "just fine." Do I need to share a link to the video again? Because I will!
Why not share an article instead.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
No, I don't remember them firing people. And by the looks of it they're doing just fine.
I don't see the problem here.
They've been firing their employees for a few years now, they're not doing just fine. Sure they're not as bad as Capcom, but they're not doing "just fine"

@ Baskerville Baskerville there's more in the video that an article can prove.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
They've been firing their employees for a few years now, they're not doing just fine. Sure they're not as bad as Capcom, but they're not doing "just fine"
Once again, unless I've somehow missed all this news. I don't remember seeing anything referring to them in financial danger.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
What exactly is Sega's financial situation?

I don't recall them being in any massive danger anytime soon.
They bought the parent company of Atlus (of Shin Megami Tensei fame), Index Holdings, for 14 billion yen at the end of last year, being the highest bidder in an auction. This also means they publish Atlus' games now.

The second highest bidder, was Nintendo.

And more close to the beginning of last year, they bought Relic Studios (and the Company of Heroes IP), for $26.6 million when THQ auctioned off their studios. I believe the second highest bidder was Bethesda, and SEGA bid double of what Bethesda did.

So no, SEGA are not going to be bought by Nintendo. SEGA Sammy, who handle their pachinko machines and what not in Japan, are doing exceptionally well.

The false notion that started going around about them being in financial trouble comes from the fact one of their smaller divisions was struggling a bit and they were considering closing it down. This is not a sign of a company in trouble though, especially since they have been doing really well in general. It was basically just a building they didn't need so they sold it and let go of it's employees. The building was a liability and was costing them money, so they sold it to make some money off it (and letting go of employees relieved them of paying those employees). This is simply a company that knows how to prioritise, not a company in trouble. Though I'm not sure if they did sell it in the end, I only recall them saying it was "under performing". They have let go of uneeded employees though.

SEGA is much like Nintendo in the sense that they are easy targets for "OH THEY'RE DYING" claims when it's really not the case. Journalists are just very biased and don't look at the facts. A lot of people actually think Sony are in a position to buy Nintendo, when Nintendo is worth more than the ENTIRETY of Sony. Not just the Playstation brand, but the ENTIRETY of Sony. Sony are even claiming that they cannot afford to fail with the PS4, and constantly talk about revitalising the Playstation brand. They also sell a lot of studios, while Nintendo does the opposite.

Sorry for getting a bit off-topic there, but I just wanted to clear that up. It really irks me when people are saying "Company X is gonna be bought by Company Y" when there is no reason to believe so (and I know it wasn't you who said it, I was just answering your question). At the end of the day, gamers need to stop pretending they are businessmen, unless of course they study economics.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Last I checked Sega and its parent holder have made profits for the fiscal year of 2013, continued to make profits in the first quarter of 2014, and acquired the parent company of Atlus back in September or so.
Once again, unless I've somehow missed all this news. I don't remember seeing anything referring to them in financial danger.
I'm not saying they're doing bad, I'm saying they're not doing good.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I'm not saying they're doing bad, I'm saying they're not doing good.
Yeah I don't think so.
Like Sonicbrawler said, if they were doing bad, then they wouldn't have bought Atlus and Relic Studios.
I think they're doing just fine.

Though, I'm beginning to think this is just an excuse to get us to believe Shadow will be a playable character in the game.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Yeah I don't think so.
Like Sonicbrawler said, if they were doing bad, then they wouldn't have bought Atlus and Relic Studios.
I think they're doing just
They're not doing good, even if they were, Nintendo has already said they've considered merging, so it would still be possible.
But they are.
do you even know that SEGA has been firing people lately?

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
They're not doing good, even if they were, Nintendo has already said they've considered merging, so it would still be possible.
No, they haven't.
The only one's who are saying it is you. You're the only one stating it.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

do you even know that SEGA has been firing people lately?
Did you read that post at all?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
More on topic, Shadow will not be playable. If any Sonic character besides the main man himself were to be playable, it would be Tails, Knuckles, Amy, or Eggman, because those are the only series mainstays that have been getting ANY attention lately. Everyone else only shows up for party games or HD remakes or whatever. Yes, they may bring some of them back in Sonic Boom, but that series is not going to touch Japan, so it wouldn't make a difference to Sakurai.

Not to mention that because of this, Shadow has lost a lot of his popularity at this stage. Opinions on him are mixed. The most well received character in the franchise right now, besides maybe Sonic himself, is Dr. Eggman. He's the one who would get added first and foremost.

This is not to say I believe there will be a second Sonic rep, but if we pretend we will get one, Shadow would not be first choice.

Shalashaska

Banned via Warnings
If Nintendo ever buys Sega, I doubt it would be in the near future, so any Sonic DLC characters (except for maybe Tails or Eggman) are very unlikely.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Are we really talking about a second Sonic rep? Not to sound like a broken record, but hear this:

THIS IS A NINTENDO CROSSOVER. CONSIDER YOURSELF LUCKY YOU GOT SONIC.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
HAS anyone seen this link before LOL its super smash bros wii u dojo/miiverse

http://smashbros-miiverse.com/characters/charizard
Honestly, the moveset lists on that sit make a lot of assumptions, but I really don't have any reason to doubt their logic.

For example, Greninja's Final Smash isn't confirmed to be called "Night Slash" but there's reason to believe otherwise until it's actual name is revealed. (It may have and I just didn't know about it)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom