• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
プラスル
Prasle
マイナン
Mainan
It's obvious...
This is inconsistent. It would be "Prasle and Minun" or "Purasuru and Mainan." You're mixing the two sets of phonetics (not sure of the correct term; is it katakana or something similar?) As such, it isn't Plusle and Minun.

Anyway, let's not mix this up with the Miiverse Daily Pic Thread, guys. Take it to the right threads.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I sometimes wish the pra_mai thing was really Plusle and Minun.

Though it is incredibly greedy, Plusle and Minun would be the perfect characters for me. Combining what I love with Pikachu/pichu with the Ice climbers.

Of course, I say greedy because they would essential be only for me. Plusle and Minun wouldn't really add anything. Also, people would be more angry with more chain-grabers.

D

Deleted member

This is inconsistent. It would be "Prasle and Minun" or "Purasuru and Mainan." You're mixing the two sets of phonetics (not sure of the correct term; is it katakana or something similar?) As such, it isn't Plusle and Minun.

Anyway, let's not mix this up with the Miiverse Daily Pic Thread, guys. Take it to the right threads.
Well I do know that they use the "Prasle" romanization on Bulbapedia. It's wrong, though, as there are no "Pra" or "sle" sounds in Japanese.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Do you guys want to talk about possible buffs and nerfs?
This is the character thread after all.
I was thinking about possible nerfs for Ice Climbers. I think a good option is keeping them close together at all times, so they can move as one character (making it easier to code for on 3DS) and giving them less spacing options. Because of this, all their attacks would hit at the same time which means no more chain grab.
To make up for this, their specials are buffed and their smashes pack more of a punch.
The little glaciers can stun people for short amounts of time, gimping recoveries and giving the Climbers set up options.
Also Blizzard should have a bit more range.

Last edited:

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Really??? I had no idea! I never would have thought that a playable character would take just as long to develop as a playable character. So Zelda and Sheik BOTH take time to develop? That's insane. I thought they programmed Zelda to automatically do the development work for Sheik herself. I thought Zero Suit Samus just appeared out of nowhere and all the Pokemon were just copied from a mysterious hard drive that inexplicably already had all of them on it. I think I read about this on DYKG.

I'm sorry. Is this suppose to be you're way of saying integrated characters don't exist? I don't think development time has anything to do with the fact that you can switch between Zelda and Sheik and they are together on what character square on the select screen to match with Mario's character squares. What exactly is relevant about development time in this discussion at all?
Apologies for being off-topic.

It's a little over the top compared with the quote it was responding to, but I don't see how this warrants a warning. And if this gets a warning, shouldn't Tumblr's heated response get one as well?

Or did Saturn originally post worse things and then edit them out?

----

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Do you guys want to talk about possible buffs and nerfs?
This is the character thread after all.
I was thinking about possible nerfs for Ice Climbers. I think a good option is keeping them close together at all times, so they can move as one character (making it easier to code for on 3DS) and giving them less spacing options. Because of this, all their attacks would hit at the same time which means no more chain grab.
To make up for this, their specials are buffed and their smashes pack more of a punch.
The little glaciers can stun people for short amounts of time, gimping recoveries and giving the Climbers set up options.
Also Blizzard should have a bit more range.
As long as the Ice Climbers can't chain grab you to death then I'd be fine. Maybe the freeze effect from Blizzard could last longer to make up for it.

A different character I'd like to mention is Charizard:
  • I like how his running speed is great but I'd hope to see some of his attacks sped up. He's a larger character but he's actually pretty fast in Pokémon.
  • Also, the PokéDex claims Charizard can fly really high, yet in Brawl he only had 2 mid-air jumps. I think it would be fair to give him the same amount as Dedede.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Meta Knight being nerfed is essentially confirmed.
I'm willing to bet that finishing moves were added 99% because of Meta Knight.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Not to mention Gliding being removed...

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So, going by that logic, Meta Knight himself is confirmed.

Well, I don't think there's much doubt he'll return, anyway.

Louie G.

Smash Hero

Promotional easel art.
Halberd.
Developer favorite.
Yeah I'd go on a limb and say that Meta Knight is practically confirmed.

I really want to see Meta Knight get some badass moves from Meta Knightmare, but I worry that would make him even more powerful than before (summoning minions, PROJECTILES).

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Halberd returning helps too. :p

Anyway, seeing as I've been away for a bit (WiFi issues), I'll likely post a roster update tomorrow.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Apologies for being off-topic.

It's a little over the top compared with the quote it was responding to, but I don't see how this warrants a warning. And if this gets a warning, shouldn't Tumblr's heated response get one as well?

Or did Saturn originally post worse things and then edit them out?

----
Why did he get a warning? To be perfectly frank I was much more biting. I just didn't like his sarcasm when I was being calm.

Moderators should either take the warning off or give me one. To make it fair

Richard 89

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesker08
3DS FC
4768-7987-3562
As long as the Ice Climbers can't chain grab you to death then I'd be fine. Maybe the freeze effect from Blizzard could last longer to make up for it.

• I like how his running speed is great but I'd hope to see some of his attacks sped up. He's a larger character but he's actually pretty fast in Pokémon.
  • Also, the PokéDex claims Charizard can fly really high, yet in Brawl he only had 2 mid-air jumps. I think it would be fair to give him the same amount as Dedede.
I just had an idea, Since there may be a good chance that certain character moves will cancel each other, Charzard's Flamethrower vs Ice climbers' Blizzard = Cancelling upon contact.

(Please let me know if this is inaccurate^)

Last edited:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Hey @GoldenYuiitusin we need your expertise here, got another one.

Anyway, until Golden can explain it better, Pra_Mai isn't Plusle & Minun.
You don't need Golden to point out why pra_mai can't be plusle and minun. The romanization needed to justify that naming is inconsistent(it should be pra_mi instead). Never mind that it can't be a duo character because ALL duo characters in Brawl have separate files for each member. Including the Ice Climbers.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Wait, did he remove ALL gliding for SSB4?!?

I thought he just removed Pit's gliding ability. I don't recall anything saying the gliding mechanic was removed from other characters as well.

----
It's probably safe to say that gliding has been removed completely. Boy will Meta Knight be ticked off.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I have this gut feeling that Meta Knight will still be really good.
Not God Tier again, mind you, but still really versatile.
I see him being Brawl's Falco.
Not as good, but still REALLY good.
I don't like to always keep switching mains.
No doubt he'll get a nerf hammer, but it will be something akin to toning him down or overhaul.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I presume Charizard is going to get an overhaul that is going to be officiant at aerial combat, more so then the other heavyweight characters. Charizard's new forward aerial is faster, appearing to be more efficient at spacing similar to Bowser's forward aerial.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I can see all of the big tall heavyweights getting significant buffs.
Bowser's upright stance makes him faster and more flexible.
I'm just feeling DK buffs too.
Dedede's Gordo Toss looks like fun. (snickers)
I forsee major Ganondorf buffs, considering how hard he sucks in Brawl.

As for newcomers...
K. Rool will likely have good spacing options, relying mainly on his projectiles.
Palutena's slow moving magic projectiles can also good spacing. A defensive trap character is also up Palutena's alley.

Last edited:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
So, I was listening to Fire Emblem:Shadow Dragon's recruitment theme and saw Caeda there with Marth. But, what if we get an unexpected (we sure haven't had alot of those lately) reveal with Caeda being a newcomer? How would you guys feel about that?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
So, I was listening to Fire Emblem:Shadow Dragon's recruitment theme and saw Caeda there with Marth. But, what if we get an unexpected (we sure haven't had alot of those lately) reveal with Caeda being a newcomer? How would you guys feel about that?
Very very confused to why they didn't add an Awakening character and decided to add a character that nobody asked for and most people (including myself, until now) have never heard of.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Not surprised at all.
All Sakurai gives two craps about are surprises nowadays.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Not surprised at all.
If you hate Sakurai and the roster so much, why are you here?
I'm sorry, but nobody wants to hear you complain about Smash Bros 4.
We're all going to enjoy it, you can join us whenever you feel like it.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
So I presume everything else being adjusted to be more diverse and accessible, basically fixing the complaints with Super Smash Bros. Brawl, doesn't matter at all and the game is automatically **** tier because the roster doesn't live up to your hopes and dreams.

Hello, anyone remember that we're getting the Super Smash Bros. Brawl we should of gotten?

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to be awfully pessimistic about the roster nowadays.
If you hate Sakurai and the roster so much, why are you here?
I'm sorry, but nobody wants to hear you complain about Smash Bros 4.
We're all going to enjoy it, you can join us whenever you feel like it.
They're both right. I'm sorry some of your characters didn't make it in, but there's no need to be so pessimistic. Right now, the game looks great, and if it doesn't live up to your expectations then too bad. It won't be 100% perfect for anyone, so we should all make the best of what we're getting.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Not surprised at all.
When the Gematsu leak comes true, you can restate this a bit less crassly (and with less generalizing) and be completely in the right in doing so, "how dare you" and "entitled brat" reactions aside. If you have standards that aren't met with the roster, let them out...if it were literally any other aspect of the game you were critiquing, no one would bat an eye. But I'd wait until then if I were you, since we may still have decent surprises in the pipeline.

Last edited:

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
You know what I love about Smash? The fact that it can make me love characters I have never played as, heard of, or even previously liked. That's why I never get pessimistic with whoever is revealed, because while maybe not all of them are what I wanted, I still can learn more aboht them, and then learn more about their franchise.

For that reason, I will never hate Sakurai, or Smash, because I always get pleased no matter who is in the fight, even if it's not my most requested.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
If the Gematsu leak comes true, you can restate this a bit less crassly (and with less generalizing) and be completely in the right in doing so, "how dare you" and "entitled brat" reactions aside. But I'd wait until then if I were you, since we may still have decent surprises in the pipeline.
I fixed that to be more accurate, if you don't mind.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
When the Gematsu leak comes true, you can restate this a bit less crassly (and with less generalizing) and be completely in the right in doing so, "how dare you" and "entitled brat" reactions aside. But I'd wait until then if I were you, since we may still have decent surprises in the pipeline.
People/users are entitled to their opinions, and others shouldn't be telling them to deal with it. But at the same time, there is certainly no reason for pessimism. Especially if there's no pleasing some people.

I get being upset about not getting your favorite character. But don't bring everyone else down with you.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
As surprising as some of the characters have been, none of them have pissed me off. In fact, the ones most anticipated and predicted (Mega Man and Little Mac) are the most boring to me. The characters no one saw coming are the ones that get me the most excited. I had no idea we'd get ZSS and R.O.B. in Brawl! But yet, we get them, and they're my favorite characters.

Wii Fit Trainer and Villager were interesting to me from the get-go. I think I found mains in the forms of Rosalina and Greninja because of how interesting they are. I'm happy with the choices Sakurai is making. And even if I get my most wanted, Palutena, who knows? Maybe I'll find her boring and rather play someone else. I didn't expect Rosalina or Greninja at all, and they're shaping to be my favorites right now.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I fixed that to be more accurate, if you don't mind.
I don't mind. I'm not going to play the charade of "anything can happen" when Sal and Sal alone leaked "Wii Fit Trainer at E3 2013," but to each his or her own.

People/users are entitled to their opinions, and others shouldn't be telling them to deal with it. But at the same time, there is certainly no reason for pessimism. Especially if there's no pleasing some people.

I get being upset about not getting your favorite character. But don't bring everyone else down with you.
I agree there's no reason for pessimism...if person cannot justify the pessimism. If we find out that we're getting a half-baked final roster with few to no big names, a lot of people will deem that sufficient justification. Criticizing a drought of popular characters in a fanservice game is different from throwing a tantrum that your favorite one-off from 1996 missed out IMO.

Also, in expectation of some responses, there's no equivalence between an individual's anecdotal preference for "characters you don't know you want" and hundreds/thousands of individuals' preference for the characters they do know they want who, given an interesting interpretation, could still fascinate everyone who prefers the shiniest character of the month they've seen during, like, Wikipedia searches for obscure characters.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom