• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Warning Received
Sakurai took out Transformations so there's no more cramming 3 Pokemon characters into one slot. I don't know why people think Jigglypuff will get cut in favor of Mewtwo. Thanks to Brawl we already know Jigglypuff's priority supersedes Mewtwo.
Priorities change between games and are not always based on importance. There are things to take into consideration such as newcomers, characters requests, and development time (that's notable for Jigglypuff)

Characters that are part of another (Sheik, ZSS, the three Pokemon) take as much time to develop as another character like Link or Peach.
Really??? I had no idea! I never would have thought that a playable character would take just as long to develop as a playable character. So Zelda and Sheik BOTH take time to develop? That's insane. I thought they programmed Zelda to automatically do the development work for Sheik herself. I thought Zero Suit Samus just appeared out of nowhere and all the Pokemon were just copied from a mysterious hard drive that inexplicably already had all of them on it. I think I read about this on DYKG.

I'm sorry. Is this suppose to be you're way of saying integrated characters don't exist? I don't think development time has anything to do with the fact that you can switch between Zelda and Sheik and they are together on what character square on the select screen to match with Mario's character squares. What exactly is relevant about development time in this discussion at all?

Last edited by a moderator:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Really??? I had no idea! I never would have thought that a playable character would take just as long to develop as a playable character. So Zelda and Sheik BOTH take time to develop? That's insane. I thought they programmed Zelda to automatically do the development work for Sheik herself. I thought Zero Suit Samus just appeared out of nowhere and all the Pokemon were just copied from a mysterious hard drive that inexplicably already had all of them on it. I think I read about this on DYKG.

I'm sorry. Is this suppose to be you're way of saying integrated characters don't exist? I don't think development time has anything to do with the fact that you can switch between Zelda and Sheik. What exactly is relevant about this at all?
Okay, now you're being an ass. I did not act like a child to you, so treat me with a little respect. Leave me the **** alone and stop acting like a child, you pretentious brat.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
You guys know that list I made of who I thought were going to be unlockable and how?

Well,now I need a list of what stages you fight them on :troll:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Okay, now you're being an ***. I did not act like a child to you, so treat me with a little respect. Leave me the **** alone and stop acting like a child, you pretentious brat.
I apologize for the sarcasm. But, to be honest there are more childish things than simple sarcasm.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Okay, now you're being an ***. I did not act like a child to you, so treat me with a little respect. Leave me the **** alone and stop acting like a child, you pretentious brat.
I think you just need to get off the internet for right now before you go manhunting.

I also love how Saturn likes your own hate comment.
The ultimate taunt.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I think you just need to get off the internet for right now before you go manhunting.

The ultimate taunt.
Let's not go telling people to leave. That's kind of the lowest you can go here. Let's just get back to more civil discussions.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I apologize for the sarcasm. But, to be honest there are more childish things than simple sarcasm.
It's not that it's childish, it's that your "sarcasm" is rude, hurtful, and brash. Furhermore, it adds nothing to the conversation.
If you all you want to do is insult people who don't agree with or understand your argument, go to GameFAQs. They would love to have you.

I am personally requesting this, please don't be so hurtful.

And to answer your argument, the character select screen is an afterthought compared to development time.

Last edited:

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Why is there NO logical sense in that? Pokemon and Zelda have never had more separated characters than Mario, our most important IP. Surely there's SOME logic in that. I personally think it's not essential, especially since he can't use separated fighters to have more characters in one IP anymore and Mewtwo is so requested, but I certainly acknowledge that Sakrurai acknowledges it.
If wasn't for Sonic, Brawl'd have 6 pokémon Slots, and 8 separate Characters...
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
Lucario
Plusle and Minun
Pokémon Trainer (Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard)

Sakurai does not think that 6 or 8 is too much for Pokémon.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691

The ultimate taunt.
I don't care if it's sarcasm, it's rude, and all I did was voice my opinion. And honestly, do not tell me what to do. I'm not manhunting. If someone was being an ass, I'll make my voice heard.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Also nobody really responded to my proposal of Meta Ridley taking over for Pyrosphere while Ridley is playable.

I'm not educated about Metroid. So is this plausible?

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Also nobody really responded to my proposal of Meta Ridley taking over for Pyrosphere while Ridley is playable.

I'm not either but I think Meta Ridley is basically Ridley rebuilt. I think after you beat Ridley, space pirates "resurrect" him. But, like I said, I don't know.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
The amount of ignorance is baffling. It's depressing to think that people are so biased and foolish as to believe that "Pokeman can't have more characters than Mario because I say so!" and "Transformations don't count, they only take up one slot!" It's one thing to have an opinion, but your opinion does not overrule blatant fact.

Sakurai wasn't trolling, he wasn't joking around, he didn't say "lol there are probably 39 characters maybe, could be!" he said there were 39 characters in Brawl. Do people think the games are just magically willed into existence by Sakurai? It takes work to make characters, having two in one slot doesn't just halve the work.

The roster isn't based around a certain amount of "slots." Just because you might think "well maybe Sakurai treats them differently," doesn't make it true, you are not Sakurai. That's like thinking "well maybe the second amendment really meant that we have the right to keep a bear's arms" without actually reading the damn thing.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
If wasn't fos Sonic, Brawl'd have 6 pokémon Slots, and 8 separate Characters...
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
Lucario
Pusle and Minun

Plusle & Minun were not planned for Brawl and Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard are intergrated into one team of characters. And if Mewtwo were in Brawl we'd also have Dr. Mario. So there would still be 5 separated Mario characters and 5 separated Pokemon characters.

There may be 7 Pokemon characters total, but 3 of them are not separated from each other.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
As i said before, I think it's possible because of this:
So...would that mean the Playable Ridley would be the one from,I don't know,Fusion?
Ohgod the screams that one made.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I know rumours are kinda taboo at the moment, but I was wondering if anyone has seen those twitter picture leaks from a user called SmashLeaks1?

They show off Falco, Wario and C. Falcon on the 3DS version. Wario looks iffy but I can't decide for sure without some input. (It's times like this you really feel the absence of a rumours thread)

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I know rumours are kinda taboo at the moment, but I was wondering if anyone has seen those twitter picture leaks from a user called SmashLeaks1?

They show off Falco, Wario and C. Falcon on the 3DS version. Wario looks iffy but I can't decide for sure without some input. (It's times like this you really feel the absence of a rumours thread)
I think we've unanimously agreed those are fake. The videos' poor quality, the fact that their Falco is the Melee version, and the fact they claimed the SM3D Land pic was a flat stage when it clearly wasn't, pretty much completely kills it.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Plusle & Minun were not planned for Brawl and Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard are intergrated into one team of characters. And if Mewtwo were in Brawl we'd also have Dr. Mario. So there would still be 5 separated Mario characters and 5 separated Pokemon characters.

There may be 7 Pokemon characters total, but 3 of them are not separated from each other.
Pluse and Minun were planned for brawl, there's a character file with their names in japonese... And yes, Doc was panned too.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I made yet another roster! Its more of a dream than being realistic...

As usual, Ken Griffey Jr is placeholder.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Pluse and Minun were planned for brawl, there's a character file with their names an japonese... And yes, Doc was panned too.
It was never confirmed to be Plusle & Minun. It was SPECULATED that they were because Pra is "Plus" and Mai is "Minus". However it can still be referring to something else entirely and if it were a Plusle & Minun duo they would both have separate data like the Ice Climbers did.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
It was never confirmed to be Plusle & Minun. It was SPECULATED that they were because Pra is "Plus" and Mai is "Minus". However it can still be referring to something else entirely and if it were a Plusle & Minun duo they would both have separate data like the Ice Climbers did.
プラスル
Prasle
マイナン
Mainan

It's obvious...

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I made yet another roster! Its more of a dream than being realistic...

As usual, Ken Griffey Jr is placeholder.
Everything I could ever ask for.

Replace Ken with either

- Another FE character (of course you know what I want)
- Black Shadow
- Snake
- Ridley

Well,who would play as two Pichu's anyways?
....I would...

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Alright, before I leave for the night I'll share my idea for special moves for Ghirahim:

B: Skyward Strike:
Ghirahim charges his sword with red energy and releases it in a swirling projectile attack. Can be buffed with DownB.

SideB: Conjure Minion: Ghirahim summons one of his minions to attack in front of him (similar to Zelda's). Many different monsters can be summoned with this. A Red Bokoblin that slash forward, a Blue Bokoblin that releases a flurry of club swings, a Green sniper Bokoblin that launches arrows, a Cursed Bokoblin that slows charges at the opponent while also taking a lot of hits to kill.

DownB: Shadow Daggers: Ghirahim spawns a number of glowing knives around him, buffing his attack power and range. Can be launched with DownB, B, or a full-charged Smash attack.

Up B: Teleport: A simple, short range teleport, but very fast and he has lots of control of his position.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Ok, some people are predicting the Ice Climbers to be revealed tomorrow morning, I'm not staying up to find out though
There's always the chance they are revealed on Friday instead, the dates don't always match up perfectly (King Dedede was revealed a day early as Triple Deluxe came out on Saturday)

It's going to be yet another filler picture.

Probably a picture of Greninja getting his tongue stuck on a frozen pole or something.
Ow! Dith pole's got my scarf!

The Suit-less Ace

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2234-7574-2599

I've heard this theory before. I'm not sure if it was specifically you I've heard it from, but yeah, it's one of many possibilities.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077

that would be a bit pointless IMO since Other Ridley looks less like Ridley than Meta Ridley, but whatever

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603

Smash isn't canon, so anything's plausible, really. Meta Ridley was a rebuilt Ridley back in Metroid Prime 1 and 3 (which took place immediately after Metroid 1 and before Metroid II), and we've gotten clones of Ridley's clone in Metroid Fusion and Other M (considering the Super Metroid Ridley was cloned after his Prime incarnation died out)... So it's not the most out-there idea.

Heck, that's probably the idea people will jump to if Ridley is fully revealed as a boss after all! Though I'd like to hope I'll have the dignity to move on at that point.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hey guys, here's my brand spankin' new roster.
I know you'll probably have some problems with it, so any problems you have you can discuss with me.
And yes, I believe the Sal Leak. Also Chorus Boys are awesome, so I want to believe it too.
View attachment 12894
52 slots, Squritle, Ivysaur, and Snake cut.
And I cheated a bit on Mario. I figure that Yoshi and Wario can substitute as more Mario reps if Sakurai really cares about character balance so much.
And Takamaru is the placeholder retro. I've lost some faith with Greninja, although I still find him to be the most likely retro.
Looks really good to me. Only thing I would do at this point is cut Ghirahim for Tingle; I think being a starting Assist Trophy that survived the AT massacre means something (I still doubt a Zelda rep, but this does help Tingle).
Chrom and Palutena are likely to happen anyway, so I'd wait until we get Ridley or Ghirahim (or some other SS character) before we put too much stock into this trophy quiz theory.

People seem to be getting a little carried away with it imo.
Even if they did become playable; I'd still call it a coincidence and nothing more. There is no way this hints at Ridley, Ghirahim, Chrom and Palutena as playable.
If wasn't for Sonic, Brawl'd have 6 pokémon Slots, and 8 separate Characters...
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
Lucario
Plusle and Minun

Actually, it'd be seven Pokémon. Even if Plusle & Minun were planned (which we don't know if they were), they were cut much earlier than Mewtwo for a different reason.
プラスル
Prasle
マイナン
Mai
nan
It's obvious...
Well I can to an extent read カタカナ(katakana) and all I can say is this...

I have no idea why プラスル is romanized as Prasle. "purasuru" would be more accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom