• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
I was honestly feeling the same thing; Little Mac's specials are fairly reminiscent of Ike's. I like to believe that it is merely coincidence; some are more coincidental than others, such as the counter. However; some take overt inspiration, their recovery moves, for instance.

The fire is also really weird on Mac, maybe he does it in his game or something. But I see where you are getting at.
I thought this too, if Ike is cut, I kind of feel like the spirit of his fighting style would somewhat live on through Little Mac

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Zelda discussion? One answer.
Vaati. :awesome:
I agree, Vaati has been in multiple titles and was highly requested during Brawl's development. Well at least that's who I mostly saw. I'd personally want to see him before any other Zelda rep.
However, I really hate to admit it but I think Tingle deserves the spot.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
One more thing in regards to Ghirahim.

There's no real reason to assume Ghirahim will always be a one-shot character.

While most Zelda characters (particularly the sidekicks) don't get reused, most of the villains do.

• Vaati appeared in Minish Cap, Four Swords, and Four Swords Adventures, and it seemed he died in at least one. (Dr. Piccolo will correct me if I'm wrong)

• Twinrova (Koume and Kotake) appeared (and clearly died in) Ocarina of Time, then appeared in the Oracle Games as the underlying antagonist.

• Skull Kid appeared in Ocarina of Time, then became the "main" antagonist (well, not really, but whatever) of Majora's Mask and then appeared in Twilight Princess.

There has only been one game after Skyward Sword, which was A Link Between Worlds, which was essentially one big homage to A Link to the Past. So, of course Ghirahim wouldn't be in that. Yet, the main villain of that contained some elements of Agahnim (ALttP's villain) but lots of characteristics from Ghirahim.

And considering Skyward Sword's artstyle is heavily favored by it's creators (Miyamoto tried hard to make it better than Ocarina of Time, and just look at all of the crossover Skyward Sword stuff has been in), as well as it's enemies/assets, I don't see why there won't be a sequel/prequel to Skyward Sword in which he appears, or even an entirely unrelated Zelda game.

I may sound mad, but then there's Sheik.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Yes cuz It could mean repeating the same # of newcomers for each Ssb.
SSB64: 12 newcomers
SSBM: 14 newcomers
SSBB: 18 newcomers (Pokemon Trainer counts as 3, and the third parties DO COUNT FOR THE LAST TIME)

There is absolutely no correlation.

Last edited:

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
Double Post Warning Received
One more thing in regards to Ghirahim.

There's no real reason to assume Ghirahim will always be a one-shot character.

While most Zelda characters (particularly the sidekicks) don't get reused, most of the villains do.

• Vaati appeared in Minish Cap, Four Swords, and Four Swords Adventures, and it seemed he died in at least one. (Dr. Piccolo will correct me if I'm wrong)

• Twinrova (Koume and Kotake) appeared (and clearly died in) Ocarina of Time, then appeared in the Oracle Games as the underlying antagonist.

• Skull Kid appeared in Ocarina of Time, then became the "main" antagonist (well, not really, but whatever) of Majora's Mask and then appeared in Twilight Princess.

There has only been one game after Skyward Sword, which was A Link Between Worlds, which was essentially one big homage to A Link to the Past. So, of course Ghirahim wouldn't be in that. Yet, the main villain of that contained some elements of Agahnim (ALttP's villain) but lots of characteristics from Ghirahim.

And considering Skyward Sword's artstyle is heavily favored by it's creators (Miyamoto tried hard to make it better than Ocarina of Time, and just look at all of the crossover Skyward Sword stuff has been in), as well as it's enemies/assets, I don't see why there won't be a sequel/prequel to Skyward Sword in which he appears, or even an entirely unrelated Zelda game.

The trophy quiz @ direct video showed Fi from "skyward sword" so the possible newcomer being from skyward sword series and isn't girihim similar species to Fi. Some sort of spirit? I haven't played skyward sword btw.

SSB64: 12 newcomers
SSBM: 14 newcomers
SSBB: 18 newcomers (Pokemon Trainer counts as 3, and the third parties DO COUNT FOR THE LAST TIME)

There is absolutely no correlation.
Agreed, but why do u say third party count I know they do, but don't you think that If sakurai failed to get permission from these 2 third party char was part of a pre plan that it didn't matter if they join or not. That's what I was trying to get at. Hope that made sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
The trophy quiz @ direct video showed Fi from "skyward sword" so the possible newcomer being from skyward sword series and isn't girihim similar species to Fi. Some sort of spirit? I haven't played skyward sword btw.

Agreed, but why do u say third party count I know they do, but don't you think that If sakurai failed to get permission from these 2 third party char was part of a pre plan that it didn't matter if they join or not. That's what I was trying to get at. Hope that made sense.
...I think you're grasping with this third party idea. There really isn't much to support it.

jweb22

Smash Apprentice

Why is everyone so sure the trophy quizzes meant playable characters? For all we know it could have meant some bosses that may appear: Ridley, Demise, Hades and Grima.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
...I think you're grasping with this third party idea. There really isn't much to support it.
???? I didn't get what u said, I'm just somewhat supporting the idea of girihim being a highly possible newcomer.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Chrom and Palutena are likely to happen anyway, so I'd wait until we get Ridley or Ghirahim (or some other SS character) before we put too much stock into this trophy quiz theory.

People seem to be getting a little carried away with it imo.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
???? I didn't get what u said, I'm just somewhat supporting the idea of girihim being a highly possible newcomer.
I was referring to the second part of what you said, how third parties "don't count" and how there was a "plan" for 14 newcomers. There isn't much to support that at all. In fact, there's a lot that goes against that idea.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
No, that didn't make any sense. But frankly I'm done explaining myself.

The Trophy Quizzes mean nothing really. The only thing that can be pulled from it is the fact that he's trolling with Palutena. Revealing her at first with her back to us and then turning her around with that goofy brass music was a huge slap in the face to us.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I sometimes wonder that if Sheik wasn't in Melee, but was requested for Brawl, would the one-shot argument have been made against her?
Yes, most likely. I think the main reason we still have her around is because of Melee, and the fact that she is technically Zelda.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I think there will be 5 lines of 9 character slots this time seeing how the rules of 4 slots max have been broken with Rosalina... 44 characters and 1 random icon.

Pretty much confirmed:

:falcon:Is coming back since Sakurai talked about balancing the falcon punch in an interview.
:wario:Seen on concept art and Ashley and Waluigi have a W sign in the direct.
:metaknight:Seen in concept art and the halberd is back.
:gw:Also on the concept art Sakurai showed.

Still a good chance:

:popo:While the ice bears are seen in Smash Run there's still a small chance 3DS couldn't handle them.
:ganondorf:Needs a new moveset but he's never going to be cut for Ghirahim, like Bowser would be replaced for Petey Piranha right?!

Danger Zone:

:ike:Unfortunately Chrom might take his moveset but a bit faster but they could add Robin and keep Ike aswell.
:ness2:/:lucas:Only one of them will return, Ness has the most chance but you never know.
:falco:/:wolf:Only one can return with an airwing/wolfen and some changes too play different enough from :fox:
:jigglypuff:/:mewtwomelee:Only one of them and no Pokemon can not have 6 slots, only 5 like Mario and Zelda!

Probaly Cut:

:ivysaur::squirtle:Pokemontrainer is gone and people prefer either :jigglypuff:/:mewtwomelee:over them.
:snake:Seeing :sheik:use grenades and items overall from his moves and the developer himself semi-deconfirming him....
:rob:What can i say....irrelevant!
I think it's rather foolish to consider Falco and Wolf getting the boot, seeing as they're both rather important to the Star Fox franchise.

Regarding your Pokemon franchise claim, there were 6 playable Pokemon in Brawl, so it's possible for Mewtwo and Jigglypuff to come back together.

R.O.B. is an important figure for Nintendo, since it saved the video game industry from disaster.

To finish up, the EarthBound/Mother franchise has pretty much died off, so having both Ness and Lucas around should probably keep their legacy alive.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
If any franchise were to get priority for 6 characters... Zelda would be included among them. Why? Because 7 Legend of Zelda characters were planned for Brawl. So I doubt 6 characters is THAT much of a stretch.

Mario and Zelda are the biggest Nintendo series; Pokemon is obviously included among them. So it isn't surprising to see such saturation prevalent in the roster.
I don't know, I was confident that we'd get Toon Zelda/Tetra for a while, but after the Direct I'm starting to believe that Zelda won't be getting a newcomer. I still don't think Ghirahim has much of a chance for reasons previously stated, I'm positive Toon Zelda's chances are fried now that the Twilight Princess-styled Zelda uses the Phantom in her moveset, Sheik has her/his own slot, and I'm losing some confidence on Tetra's chances as well, considering how they removed transformations.

What I'm currently thinking is that if any franchises were to get 6 characters, I would think Pokemon would be of the highest priority of them at this point, since there is really no good reason for Mewtwo and Jigglypuff to NOT return. If there is a Zelda newcomer planned, I think that he/she would then be low priority compared to most other newcomers, for diversity's sake.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Could someone please tell me how ROB saved the video game industry? I have seen so many people say this but no one has clarified.
Something along the lines of R.O.B. causing people to regain faith in video games due to it being marketed as a toy rather than a game, or something along those lines?

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Something along the lines of R.O.B. causing people to regain faith in video games due to it being marketed as a toy rather than a game, or something along those lines?
Also has to do with the public relating gaming to acts of violence back in the 80's.
A lot moreso than today. They used it as a scapegoat, honestly.

ROB helped show that games were toys, not the weapons that media defined them as. Also, helps cause interest in gaming again after the Atari disaster with ET.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

In 1982, low-quality games were flooding the market which meant consumers were losing confidence that games would take off. As BigAxle pointed out, it mostly had to do with Atari's platforms & other companies (Like Quaker Oats!!)

Few years later, retailers were very reluctant to stock what people & them considered to be "Garbage that sold very poorly" which meant that getting the NES to the States would be challenging since people weren't too confident about buying a console so soon after those dark times.

ROB was made to be more of a "Toy" & less of a "Video Game" and...it worked!

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Also has to do with the public relating gaming to acts of violence back in the 80's.
A lot moreso than today. They used it as a scapegoat, honestly.

ROB helped show that games were toys, not the weapons that media defined them as. Also, helps cause interest in gaming again after the Atari disaster with ET.
Well, that makes sense, even if I don't agree hat justifies his inclusion (sounds very similar to why people justify Pacman)

However, I would not ever wish R.O.B. gone, as he is a part of Nintendo's history and he's a robot and I love him.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
I think it's rather foolish to consider Falco and Wolf getting the boot, seeing as they're both rather important to the Star Fox franchise.

Regarding your Pokemon franchise claim, there were 6 playable Pokemon in Brawl, so it's possible for Mewtwo and Jigglypuff to come back together.

R.O.B. is an important figure for Nintendo, since it saved the video game industry from disaster.

To finish up, the EarthBound/Mother franchise has pretty much died off, so having both Ness and Lucas around should probably keep their legacy alive.
I think Sakurai has to consider all aspects when it comes to decisions about characters, just because they have a certain quality, ie, nostalgia, marketability, popularity, "importance", etc.. Those surely cannot be the only things that will determine if they are cut or included, I'm sure Sakurai's thoughts about putting together the game go much deeper than our feelings and expectations of certain characters.
So to me, for those characters lacking concrete evidence for their inclusion in the game, at this point, are still anybody's guess as to whether or not we will see them.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
ROB is the great Trojan Horse of gaming. In a game that honors Nintendo's biggest and most influential, his spot is well deserved. It's just that few know it.

So... Ice Climbers. Any thoughts on them tomorrow?
I don't see anything big being revealed for a while... maybe we'll get a character in May.

jweb22

Smash Apprentice
I hope so! They've been my main since Melee, and I'm looking forward to see how they got buffed since every character seems to have been improved in some way.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Sure we got five characters in the Direct, but they game also comes out in the Summer. As in, at most four months away. I'm sure there will be more frequent reveals now that cat's out of the bag.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I'm doubtful of them, but it's possible. It's also possible we'll see a random reveal at the end of the week.

Also, is it just me, or has this week been surprisingly dull so far? I mean, it seems every picture hasn't actually shown off anything that wasn't already obvious from the Direct. Except that Waddle Dees are delicious, I guess.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
We'll see if they're revealed tomorrow. If they are, great. If not, oh well. Although I feel they have a decent chance, but we really have to see (I hope I'm not setting my expectations too high).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Sure we got five characters in the Direct, but they game also comes out in the Summer. I'm sure there will be more frequent reveals now that cat's out of the bag.
It's possible, but people were saying something similar after the Dec-Feb character flurry, only to have a barren March.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I'm doubtful of them, but it's possible. It's also possible we'll see a random reveal at the end of the week.

Also, is it just me, or has this week been surprisingly dull so far? I mean, it seems every picture hasn't actually shown off anything that wasn't already obvious from the Direct. Except that Waddle Dees are delicious, I guess.
Absolutely. It's been nothing but regurgitation of the Direct. I'm kinda fine with that, but still rather irritated. At least tell us about the new items shown on the flickr sets, or maybe some info on Kalos Pokemon League. Or maybe some returning stage?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
It's possible, but people were saying something similar after the Dec-Feb character flurry, only to have a barren March.
Were they? I wasn't aware of that. Sakurai likes his surprises, but there's only so much you can keep a secret before release.

Also, there really isn't much else to show us.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom