• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

To remind people, this still isn't the thread for debating the validity of "leaks".
Are there any threads for such? I know the rumors and leak threads are closed, so I'm not sure where exactly we're supposed to discuss this.
Characters being cut =/= room for more characters.

Understand this now, and you'll save yourself trouble down the line.
This. Every cut made in this game so far has probably been for either game play (probably Squirtle/Ivysaur), licensing issues (probably Snake), time constraints (likely what caused Mewtwo and Roy to be cut) or a very unnecessary addition (Pichu, Young Link and to a lesser extent, Dr. Mario, though I wouldn't be surprised if you disagreed). This is the same man that has admitted that he hates cutting characters as much, if not more so, than the rest of us. He's not going to axe characters simply because of not being "recent" or "to add more newcomers".

Last edited by a moderator:

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
UPDATED MY PREDICTION********* I KNOW ITS LONG. u can just read at least what char I think Is gona be in and If u wonder why then read the reasons beside it.***************

THESE RETURNING CHARACTERS 90% SURE + Possibly being more.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RETURNING
1. Captain Falcon - We saw Samurai Goro @ Nintendo direct.
2. Ice Climbers - We saw the Polar Bear @ smash run video. They have Rosalina and Luma working on 3ds.
3. Wario - They still have Wario assist trophy and added a new one which is Ashley.
4. Ness - There was a pic of the day where it showed Earthbound items.
5. Meta Knight - its kirby series that sakurai created most games on. They also showed Halbred stage which is directly connected with Meta Knight.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Also if u add all these 5 returning char the roster will have 22 (cuz of zelda and sheik, it would be 21 otherwise) returning char just like brawl had. EXCLUDING THIRD-PARTY CHAR because to me they just seem bonuses to the roster.

9 NEWCOMERS + 5 newcomers already shown to us

- WFT - Villager - LIttle mac - Greninja - Rosalina and Luma - = 5 Newcomers so far. (excluding Megaman cuz his one of the two new third part char, the other being pacman)

Which are 14 Newcomers like brawl/melee had (excluding the 2 third party char, Snake & sonic which I think were added for extra).

- Basing off a rumor from the same leaker who mentioned before the reveal of these characters which are WFT, Megaman, Villager, Little mac. Leaving Pac-man and Mii. The leaker then mentioned those 4 characters stated below before Nintendo direct (shulk to Chorus kids).

- Sakurai did mention in a interview that he needs to have a change in direction for developing the next ssb and that just "adding a few more char won't cut it". I think he literally just told us that the previous roster won't increase as much.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEWCOMERS

1. Shulk - Very popular "Xenoblade".

2. Palutena - It seems Palutena has been hinted quite a lot like Psuedo-Palutena Quiz trophy shown @ direct, also an image leak of her being in the 3ds version of the game.

3. Chrom - Seems pretty obvious and Tiki from fire emblem Quiz Trophy shown @ direct.

4. Chorus Kids from Rhythm Heaven- In my eyes looks like a replacement for Mr. Game and Watch. The leaker did know about W Fit Train being in the game. Therefore he could be right about this character too. Plus Sakurai <3 surprising us whether its good or bad.
- Based off the Quiz Trophy including Chrom and Palutena.

--------------------------------------------
My own guesses without leak

5. Anthony Higgs/"Any Other Metroid char" - Sakurai been representing Metroid Other M too much. So I'm wondering what is he just doing that because his trying to add another character into the Metroid series. Also that King Ki Hunter Quiz Trophy shown @ direct. In addition they added the same stage where Anthony higgs fell in the game Metroid Other M against Ridley while trying to save Samus. Also this char feels like a replacement for Snake.

6. Toon Ganondorf/ Ganondorf -Will have new moves making him a newcomer because captain falcon can be customized with custom move sets to become playable as brawl/melee version of ganon. Therefore i think that toon ganon will join which makes sense of why he added toon link even though his a clone of link and can be made through custom move sets. Also because of the Fi Quiz trophy shown @ direct.

7. Takamaru from Nazo no Murasame - Sakurai did mention of adding more retro characters. His sort of the East vs West going on with Little mac.Takamaru is popular in japan but not over here. Little mac being populary over here but not in japan.

8. Mewtwo and his Mega form being Y version - Because Charizard mega form is taken from X. Plus im sure they wouldn't take out Ganon making Zelda a 5th char into the series and mario already having rosalina. So pokemon could also have the 5th char. iirc on twitter sakurai was thinking about mewtwo with the pokemon developer.

9. Isaac - He took little mac from assist trophy to now as a playable. Same could go for the popular game "Golden Sun". Cameloft the developer of "Golden Sun" has been with nintendo for many years. Plus their most recent "Golden Sun: Dark Dawn" was an excellent game just as much as Punch-Out IMO.

------------------------------------------------------------
+ 2 Last Characters
The leaker mentioned those 2 along with Megaman, WFT, Villager, Little mac before e3 2013.
These aren't included as the nine NEWCOMERS because of excluding third party characters and Mii.

Bonus+1. Pac-man - Seems like it because Namco is helping developing the game and they had assist trophies from a Namco game.

Bonus+2. Mii - I'm hoping this isn't true and could possibly be just an extra slot. Mii may not even be playable in online.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

************************************************A total of 45 char and If u go to their Official site > click on any char > go to the bottom of that page > Count the number of char blocks > There are 9 each. for now it shows 4 (dots) x 9 char blocks, but soon it will exceed & be 5 x 9 = 45 char******************************************************

Btw i think the char that are hinted throughout the smash bros official site or videos. For example: Mr saturn being shown on pic of the day. Meaning Ness being back in the game.
The reason its being hinted could mean that they will be unlockables.

I REALLY WOULD LOVE TO HEAR YOUR OPINION ON THIS.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Only reason they would make cuts is because of time constraints.
Sakurai's stated it already once this development season.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
UPDATED MY PREDICTION********* I KNOW ITS LONG. u can just read at least what char I think Is gona be in and If u wonder why then read the reasons beside it.***************

THESE RETURNING CHARACTERS 90% SURE + Possibly being more.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RETURNING
1. Captain Falcon - We saw Samurai Goro @ Nintendo direct.
2. Ice Climbers - We saw the Polar Bear @ smash run video. They have Rosalina and Luma working on 3ds.
3. Wario - They still have Wario assist trophy and added a new one which is Ashley.
4. Ness - There was a pic of the day where it showed Earthbound items.
5. Meta Knight - its kirby series that sakurai created most games on. They also showed Halbred stage which is directly connected with Meta Knight.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Also if u add all these 5 returning char the roster will have 22 (cuz of zelda and sheik, it would be 21 otherwise) returning char just like brawl had. EXCLUDING THIRD-PARTY CHAR because to me they just seem bonuses to the roster.

9 NEWCOMERS + 5 newcomers already shown to us

- WFT - Villager - LIttle mac - Greninja - Rosalina and Luma - = 5 Newcomers so far. (excluding Megaman cuz his one of the two new third part char, the other being pacman)

Which are 14 Newcomers like brawl/melee had (excluding the 2 third party char, Snake & sonic which I think were added for extra).

- Basing off a rumor from the same leaker who mentioned before the reveal of these characters which are WFT, Megaman, Villager, Little mac. Leaving Pac-man and Mii. The leaker then mentioned those 4 characters stated below before Nintendo direct (shulk to Chorus kids).

- Sakurai did mention in a interview that he needs to have a change in direction for developing the next ssb and that just "adding a few more char won't cut it". I think he literally just told us that the previous roster won't increase as much.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEWCOMERS

1. Shulk - Very popular "Xenoblade".

2. Palutena - It seems Palutena has been hinted quite a lot like Psuedo-Palutena Quiz trophy shown @ direct, also an image leak of her being in the 3ds version of the game.

3. Chrom - Seems pretty obvious and Tiki from fire emblem Quiz Trophy shown @ direct.

4. Chorus Kids from Rhythm Heaven- In my eyes looks like a replacement for Mr. Game and Watch. The leaker did know about W Fit Train being in the game. Therefore he could be right about this character too. Plus Sakurai <3 surprising us whether its good or bad.
- Based off the Quiz Trophy including Chrom and Palutena.

--------------------------------------------
My own guesses without leak

5. Anthony Higgs/"Any Other Metroid char" - Sakurai been representing Metroid Other M too much. So I'm wondering what is he just doing that because his trying to add another character into the Metroid series. Also that King Ki Hunter Quiz Trophy shown @ direct. In addition they added the same stage where Anthony higgs fell in the game Metroid Other M against Ridley while trying to save Samus. Also this char feels like a replacement for Snake.

6. Toon Ganondorf/ Ganondorf -Will have new moves making him a newcomer because captain falcon can be customized with custom move sets to become playable as brawl/melee version of ganon. Therefore i think that toon ganon will join which makes sense of why he added toon link even though his a clone of link and can be made through custom move sets. Also because of the Fi Quiz trophy shown @ direct.

7. Takamaru from Nazo no Murasame - Sakurai did mention of adding more retro characters. His sort of the East vs West going on with Little mac.Takamaru is popular in japan but not over here. Little mac being populary over here but not in japan.

8. Mewtwo and his Mega form being Y version - Because Charizard mega form is taken from X. Plus im sure they wouldn't take out Ganon making Zelda a 5th char into the series and mario already having rosalina. So pokemon could also have the 5th char. iirc on twitter sakurai was thinking about mewtwo with the pokemon developer.

9. Isaac - He took little mac from assist trophy to now as a playable. Same could go for the popular game "Golden Sun". Cameloft the developer of "Golden Sun" has been with nintendo for many years. Plus their most recent "Golden Sun: Dark Dawn" was an excellent game just as much as Punch-Out IMO.

------------------------------------------------------------
+ 2 Last Characters
The leaker mentioned those 2 along with Megaman, WFT, Villager, Little mac before e3 2013.
These aren't included as the nine NEWCOMERS because of excluding third party characters and Mii.

Bonus+1. Pac-man - Seems like it because Namco is helping developing the game and they had assist trophies from a Namco game.

Bonus+2. Mii - I'm hoping this isn't true and could possibly be just an extra slot. Mii may not even be playable in online.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

************************************************A total of 45 char and If u go to their Official site > click on any char > go to the bottom of that page > Count the number of char blocks > There are 9 each. for now it shows 4 (dots) x 9 char blocks, but soon it will exceed & be 5 x 9 = 45 char******************************************************

Btw i think the char that are hinted throughout the smash bros official site or videos. For example: Mr saturn being shown on pic of the day. Meaning Ness being back in the game.
The reason its being hinted could mean that they will be unlockables.

I REALLY WOULD LOVE TO HEAR YOUR OPINION ON THIS.
I still believe the amount of cuts is alarming. ROB, Falco, Wolf, Ike, Lucas, Jigglypuff, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Snake, and Mr. Game & Watch! I cannot stress enough that we will not have ten cut characters. The most I can see is 5.

Anthony Higgs is not happening. It was Ridley or bust. Ganondorf does not count as a newcomer, he will be the same Ganondorf as before with different moves. Every other character is getting different moves, so IF Ganondorf gets the same treatment, he's still the same character.

Why don't Mega Man and Pac-Man count as newcomers? They kinda freaking are. They're not "bonuses" to the roster, they're newcomers that are part of it.

And also, the bottom of the page means nothing. The same happened on Brawl's Dojo.

In all, too many cuts (unnecessary mind you), and blind devotion to an easily debunkable leak.

D

Deleted member

That being said, we haven't seen official disconfirmation of them.
And Priorities exist as well.
Sometimes, you don't really need an "official" disconfirmation to know someone's not coming back. But I digress.

blind devotion to an easily debunkable leak.
Literally, the only reasonable counter to the Sal Romano leak is that "Little Mac, Pac-Man, and Miis were not revealed at E3 like Villager, Mega Man, and Wii Fit Trainer".
And even then, there's a logical explanation.

EDIT: Time for some unnecessary hype; the Challenger Approaching! bars for the Direct 5 are gone. :troll:

Morbi

Scavenger
That being said, we haven't seen official disconfirmation of them.
And Priorities exist as well.
Technically we don't need a "de-confirmation" of those characters. Pokemon Trainer was cut and Charizard is returning. So strictly speaking, Squirtle and Ivysaur would be treated as individual characters and thus "newcomers," thereby making it unfeasible to de-confirm them, as that wouldn't be logical. Although, Sakurai didn't necessarily treat Charizard as a newcomer. So whatever.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Literally, the only reasonable counter to the Sal Romano leak is that "Little Mac, Pac-Man, and Miis were not revealed at E3 like Villager, Mega Man, and Wii Fit Trainer".
And even then, there's a logical explanation.
I can understand to an extent the validity of it, but for me, the wording was very vague. "Guy from Animal Crossing" caught me a bit off guard in particular. And for this one, "pokemon from X and Y" could literally mean anything. Had he been more specific, it could give more validity to it, but I don't think so ultimately. And of course, the fact that Miis, Little Mac, and Pac-Man weren't shown at E3 proved it wrong in my eyes. I'd like to know if they were planned at first to be shown at E3, but unfortunately that is probably something that cannot be proven.

I think he got lucky, saw he got lucky with people buying it, and exploited it again with the chorus men leak. If we get the chorus men, then I will eat my shorts and bow down to him for being wrong, and accept it wholeheartedly. But for now, I think he's just a lucky guesser.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I can understand to an extent the validity of it, but for me, the wording was very vague. "Guy from Animal Crossing" caught me a bit off guard in particular. And for this one, "pokemon from X and Y" could literally mean anything. Had he been more specific, it could give more validity to it, but I don't think so ultimately. And of course, the fact that Miis, Little Mac, and Pac-Man weren't shown at E3 proved it wrong in my eyes. I'd like to know if they were planned at first to be shown at E3, but unfortunately that is probably something that cannot be proven.

I think he got lucky, saw he got lucky with people buying it, and exploited it again with the chorus men leak. If we get the chorus men, then I will eat my shorts and bow down to him for being wrong, and accept it wholeheartedly. But for now, I think he's just a lucky guesser.
I honestly agree with this sentiment. However, the Pokemon one was justifiably ambiguous in my opinion. It was a Pokemon trailer for all intents and purposes. It was quite literally (what we assume to be) every Pokemon along with a veteran and newcomer. I mean; obviously it would have been much less vague to just list Greninja, but it isn't surprising that he just stated "Pokemon" as in the plural form.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I honestly agree with this sentiment. However, the Pokemon one was justifiably ambiguous in my opinion. It was a Pokemon trailer for all intents and purposes. It was quite literally (what we assume to be) every Pokemon along with a veteran and newcomer. I mean; obviously it would have been much less vague to just list Greninja, but it isn't surprising that he just stated "Pokemon" as in the plural form.
I agree. That's why I said it could give a little extra "oomph" if he stated Greninja, but overall wouldn't sway me. I just think in general, it was very vague.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
You see guys, this is what happens when we kill off the Rumor Thread. The whole Sal Romano fiasco will be bought up throughout various character threads, adding little to the plot topic.

D

Deleted member

"Animal Crossing Guy" (not "Guy from Animal Crossing"; that'd give a more vague connotation) could've only referred to Villager. There is only one unnamed major character in the scope of the series, and that is the player. Said player has been given multiple identities, with "Animal Crossing Boy" in international Brawl (Note that "Boy" and "Guy" are interchangeable words), and "Hero/Protagonist of Animal Forest" in Japan Brawl.
Add that to the fact Sakurai mentioned that he considered said player character when constructing the roster, and the rest speaks for itself.

It is also statistically impossible for the informant to have "guessed" Villager, Mega Man, and Wii Fit Trainer showing up at the same time.

As for X/Y Pokémon, I've explained this to someone else:
The first batch of info from Sal's informant was "public" on June 10th (though Sal received the e-mail weeks prior). As evident on June 19th, Sakurai had not decided on a Pokemon newcomer at that point in time.
http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1970393/pokemon_in_super_smash_bros_how_theyre_selected.html

The decision for Greninja wouldn't have happened until after October 11th of that year, when X/Y came out. Then, it would only be a matter of weeks that Greninja would be the most popular Pokemon of Kalos thanks to the Protean Hidden Ability.
Sal's informant gave off the second batch of leaks on April 7th of this year, the day before Greninja was announced.
However, that doesn't mean the information the informant had was fresh. Considering the informant had info dating back to before E3 of last year, the informant could have been sitting on outdated info in regards to an X/Y Pokemon. Since again, it wouldn't have been decided to be Greninja until after X/Y's release.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I'm not gonna bother getting into this whole Pokemon Trainer/Cut character thing, I'd rather talk about new Final Smash ideas for characters like Pikachu, Mario, Peach, Sonic, Zero Suit Samus, and Donkey Kong

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
"Animal Crossing Guy" (not "Guy from Animal Crossing"; that'd give a more vague connotation) could've only referred to Villager. There is only one unnamed major character in the scope of the series, and that is the player. Said player has been given multiple identities, with "Animal Crossing Boy" in international Brawl (Note that "Boy" and "Guy" are interchangeable words), and "Hero/Protagonist of Animal Forest" in Japan Brawl.
Add that to the fact Sakurai mentioned that he considered said player character when constructing the roster, and the rest speaks for itself.

It is also statistically impossible for the informant to have "guessed" Villager, Mega Man, and Wii Fit Trainer showing up at the same time.

I'll concede defeat for the Animal Crossing Guy. That makes more sense, I just thought it was "Guy from Animal Crossing". And I don't think it is too much of a stretch for him to guess those first three. I really don't. Sure, none of us guessed it because we're all too bullheaded with our opinions, but I believe it was an honest lucky guess. That's really it. And the fact that the other three weren't revealed at E3 doesn't give it credibility in my eyes.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Then try and make a moveset for impa, Impa can simply be a costume for sheik and then add an original zelda character like ghirahim or vaati
It's quite easy actually. A quick semi-clone moveset would satisfy you?

Neutral B: Magical Orb. Like Sheik's Needles, Impa charges up an energy ball attack that slightly slowers the enemy when struck with it (and it being fully charged). The energy ball doesn't move as fast as the Needles, but deals good enough damage. Comparable to a longer ranged Wolf Blaster, also moves faster but has to be charged up.
Side B: Deku Nut. Impa throws a Deku Nut that deals high hitstun when enemies are hit with the blast. If sweetspotted, enemies can temporary be stunned.
Up B: Vanish. A longer version of Sheik's recovery. Impa has better recovery cause she lacks the same Down B move as Sheik, and she is just as light as Sheik, but taller, and floatier, making her somewhat weaker defensively.
Down B: Sheikah Barrier. An attack that can ward of projectiles and strong attacks. When held down, Impa can endure any kind of move, but when continiously under attack she will still take some damage. Can serve as a sort of extra shield, and the move in fact can be broken as a shield as well, which will result in a shieldbreaking effect. Not a move to be overused, but it's a very powerful tool for her. When pressing B again while doing this move, it has a very weak counter effect, dealing nothing but 2% damage, but with enough hitstun normally to naturally combo into a grab.

For movesets others made, as well as my own visit the Impa thread. Most of them are unique.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
On the topic of my position of leaks, I don't believe any of them. Even the Palutena one.

But this isn't the place to discuss that, I'm holding respect to what N30N said. I really want to hear MAGMIS's opinions on my opnions.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
It's quite easy actually. A quick semi-clone moveset would satisfy you?

Neutral B: Magical Orb. Like Sheik's Needles, Impa charges up an energy ball attack that slightly slowers the enemy when struck with it (and it being fully charged). The energy ball doesn't move as fast as the Needles, but deals good enough damage. Comparable to a longer ranged Wolf Blaster, also moves faster but has to be charged up.
Side B: Deku Nut. Impa throws a Deku Nut that deals high hitstun when enemies are hit with the blast. If sweetspotted, enemies can temporary be stunned.
Up B: Vanish. A longer version of Sheik's recovery. Impa has better recovery cause she lacks the same Down B move as Sheik, and she is just as light as Sheik, but taller, and floatier, making her somewhat weaker defensively.
Down B: Sheikah Barrier. An attack that can ward of projectiles and strong attacks. When held down, Impa can endure any kind of move, but when continiously under attack she will still take some damage. Can serve as a sort of extra shield, and the move in fact can be broken as a shield as well, which will result in a shieldbreaking effect. Not a move to be overused, but it's a very powerful tool for her. When pressing B again while doing this move, it has a very weak counter effect, dealing nothing but 2% damage, but with enough hitstun normally to naturally combo into a grab.

For movesets others made, as well as my own visit the Impa thread. Most of them are unique.
Basically Sheik but with different names, A quick question, Why should they add Impa instead of an unique character from zelda like ghirahim, vaati or even tingle?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Basically Sheik but with different names, A quick question, Why should they add Impa instead of an unique character from zelda like ghirahim, vaati or even tingle?
I said it was a semi-clone moveset. It had 3 unique attacks from Sheik, just 2 of them working similary and an all unique Down B. Besides, Impa could still be unique. Check Rosalina. Everyone was shouting she'd be too much like Peach. Look what happened instead.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
I said it was a semi-clone moveset. It had 3 unique attacks from Sheik, just 2 of them working similary and an all unique Down B. Besides, Impa could still be unique. Check Rosalina. Everyone was shouting she'd be too much like Peach. Look what happened instead.
Rosalina always had the potential to be unique, she could always use the galaxy moves unlike Impa whose best chance was to take Sheik's moveset, Impa has nothing to be unique now, and again, considering that all newcomers so far are unique, Why would sakurai choose a semi clone instead of an unique zelda character?

D

Deleted member

The first batch of info from Sal's informant was "public" on June 10th (though Sal received the e-mail weeks prior). As evident on June 19th, Sakurai had not decided on a Pokemon newcomer at that point in time.
http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1970393/pokemon_in_super_smash_bros_how_theyre_selected.html

The decision for Greninja wouldn't have happened until after October 11th of that year, when X/Y came out. Then, it would only be a matter of weeks that Greninja would be the most popular Pokemon of Kalos thanks to the Protean Hidden Ability.
Sal's informant gave off the second batch of leaks on April 7th of this year, the day before Greninja was announced.
However, that doesn't mean the information the informant had was fresh. Considering the informant had info dating back to before E3 of last year, the informant could have been sitting on outdated info in regards to an X/Y Pokemon. Since again, it wouldn't have been decided to be Greninja until after X/Y's release.
I find it weird that Gekkouga would be included weeks, if not month after Pokémon X & Y released. Sakurai has said it himself that he adds characters during the pre-production stage because adding characters later on disrupt the process of development. While he has made exceptions; they were because either he had more than enough room to add more characters (Melee) or because the character was so popular that Sakurai had no choice but to add said character (Sonic and that character created disruption with developments; causing a delay).

I guess you could say that they had a spot in mind for a Pokémon X & Y character and planned around it, but including a new Pokémon week after X & Y release would require the entire roster (and to an extent, the game) to be balanced with the new character in mind, potentially having to make serious changes with plans. There's also the fact that Pokémon X & Y had been in development for 3.5 years; in other words, this game has been in the works for since around the start of the 5th gen. I doubt Game Freak just sat around and wait for which Pokémon was the next hot one to suggest late in development, especially when adding an unique Pokémon late in development has the potential to interfere with development. I wouldn't be surprised if Game Freak asked Sakurai to include a Pokémon X & Y character and they agreed on what characters would work best as a new fighter; going with Gekkouga for that.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

I doubt that's the case with the Pokémon point. Based on what CAW Evolution and others have said it sounds like this leaker has access to promotional information. Of which, based on the circumstances would then make sense since he does give Sal this information on two occasions of major events for the game (E3 and the Smash Direct), and him giving out Mega Man, WFT and Villager came along with their reveal. Due to that, it becomes questionable that he'd have "Pokémon from XY" used for advertising rather then Greninja as it's much better to push a face then a generic placeholder.

Edit: SSBF brings up some good points as well, for the character to be added that late would require a lot of balancing and development for him that could be troublesome. So it's possible that Sakurai and GF reached a agreement with the character earlier then when Pokémon XY came out rather then a month after.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Rosalina always had the potential to be unique, she could always use the galaxy moves unlike Impa whose best chance was to take Sheik's moveset, Impa has nothing to be unique now, and again, considering that all newcomers so far are unique, Why would sakurai choose a semi clone instead of an unique zelda character?
Ganondorf will most likely get new moves. And Impa has more source material than Rosalina had. Her moves are all basically made up, or used by Mario in some form, like the Star Bits. She always has Lumas by her side but nobody would guess they'd be a sort of pupeteer character. And by the logic of 'why add a semi-clone if they can add an unique character' ; explain Lucas, Wolf and Falco? I bet Sakurai could've chosen other characters from Mother and StarFox which would be unique. Jeff or Poo, Slippy or Krystal maybe?

Stop the talk with the leaks btw. You've heard N3ON. Also, I believe all leaks are fake.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Okay, well I have my roster. I SWEAR this is the last time I'm changing it until someone that's not on here is confirmed.
Empty Roster.png

3 Cuts in the form of Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Snake. If I had to replace the Random Icon it'd be for the Miis.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Ganondorf will most likely get new moves. And Impa has more source material than Rosalina had. Her moves are all basically made up, or used by Mario in some form, like the Star Bits. She always has Lumas by her side but nobody would guess they'd be a sort of pupeteer character. And by the logic of 'why add a semi-clone if they can add an unique character' ; explain Lucas, Wolf and Falco? I bet Sakurai could've chosen other characters from Mother and StarFox which would be unique. Jeff or Poo, Slippy or Krystal maybe?

Stop the talk with the leaks btw. You've heard N3ON. Also, I believe all leaks are fake.
And ganondorf is the main villain on the franchise so I don't see how bringing him up proves anything, Rosalina moves are not really made up,she isusing moves from galaxy while impa can't do anything that sheik can't, Falco was one of the last characters to be developed in melee in order to fill the roster, wolf was also added late in brawl, lucas might your only point but all those characters have something that impa doesn't, they are very important to their franchises, Impa most important role has been in skyward sword and ocarina of time, lucas was the main character of mother 3 and falco and wolf appear in every star fox game, there is no real reason to add impa, she would work as sheik costume bu considering that sakurai is making every newcomer unique then I don't why would he make an exception with Impa

HVDooD

Smash Cadet
I think there will be 5 lines of 9 character slots this time seeing how the rules of 4 slots max have been broken with Rosalina... 44 characters and 1 random icon.

Pretty much confirmed:

:falcon:Is coming back since Sakurai talked about balancing the falcon punch in an interview.
:wario:Seen on concept art and Ashley and Waluigi have a W sign in the direct.
:metaknight:Seen in concept art and the halberd is back.
:gw:Also on the concept art Sakurai showed.

Still a good chance:

:popo:While the ice bears are seen in Smash Run there's still a small chance 3DS couldn't handle them.
:ganondorf:Needs a new moveset but he's never going to be cut for Ghirahim, like Bowser would be replaced for Petey Piranha right?!

Danger Zone:

:ike:Unfortunately Chrom might take his moveset but a bit faster but they could add Robin and keep Ike aswell.
:ness2:/:lucas:Only one of them will return, Ness has the most chance but you never know.
:falco:/:wolf:Only one can return with an airwing/wolfen and some changes too play different enough from :fox:
:jigglypuff:/:mewtwomelee:Only one of them and no Pokemon can not have 6 slots, only 5 like Mario and Zelda!

Probaly Cut:

:ivysaur::squirtle:Pokemontrainer is gone and people prefer either :jigglypuff:/:mewtwomelee:over them.
:snake:Seeing :sheik:use grenades and items overall from his moves and the developer himself semi-deconfirming him....
:rob:What can i say....irrelevant!

Last edited:

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
I think there will be 5 lines of 9 character slots this time seeing how the rules of 4 slots max have been broken with Rosalina... 44 characters and 1 random icon.

:jigglypuff:/:mewtwomelee:Only one of them and no Pokemon can not have 6 slots, only 5 like Mario and Zelda!

But pokemon had 6 characters in brawl

HVDooD

Smash Cadet
5 Slots like Zelda people, it's Smash Bros not Pokemon gotta have them all.....

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

Pretty much confirmed:

:falcon:Is coming back since Sakurai talked about balancing the falcon punch in an interview.

Still a good chance:

:popo:While the ice bears are seen in Smash Run there's still a small chance 3DS couldn't handle them.
:ganondorf:Needs a new moveset but he's never going to be cut for Ghirahim, like Bowser would be replaced for Petey Piranha right?!

Danger Zone:

:ike:Unfortunately Chrom might take his moveset but a bit faster but they could add Robin and keep Ike aswell.
:ness2:/:lucas:Only one of them will return, Ness has the most chance but you never know.
:falco:/:wolf:Only one can return with an airwing/wolfen and some changes too play different enough from :fox:

Probaly Cut:

:ivysaur::squirtle:Pokemontrainer is gone and people prefer either :jigglypuff:/:mewtwomelee:over them.
:snake:Seeing :sheik:use grenades and items overall from his moves and the developer himself semi-deconfirming him....
Jigglypuff and Ness are not in the Danger Zone.

Also, R.O.B. being irrelevant, is irrelevant because that's not the point. And if one were to say that the point of Smash Bros is celebrate Nintendo's history, then yes, he is very relevant.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Irrelevant. There were only four SLOTS for Pokemon he said
Why does that matter? I hardly think Sakurai cares about slots. It's all about the characters.

Anyway, Jigglypuff I would put in good chance, Ness is practically confirmed, and ROB has a good chance. His "irrelevancy" is a terrible point.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

Pretty much confirmed:

Still a good chance:

Danger Zone:

Probaly Cut:

Ganondorf is......Ganondorf. Zelda's main villain. He's not going anywhere no matter what they decide to do with his moveset. Instead of having "a good chance" I would say he's all but confirmed.

How can only either Falco or Wolf return? Didn't stop both of them from getting in Brawl in the first place.

Mario had more slots than Pokemon did in Melee. Mario had 5, and Pokemon had 4. Mario, Zelda and Pokemon do not have to have perfectly balanced slots. I can agree that Squirtle and Ivysaur are most likely gone though.

Mr. Game & Watch and the Ice Climbers are nearly as irrelevant as R.O.B. is. They're all retros, irrelevancy is not going to keep R.O.B. out. Didn't stop him in the first place either.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
5 Slots like Zelda people, it's Smash Bros not Pokemon gotta have them all.....
That doesn't matter. They had the most in Brawl, they were 15% of the roster. In a 45 character roster, they would only take up 13% if they kept 6 slots. I don't think that's an issue at all.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Hey guys, here's my brand spankin' new roster.
I know you'll probably have some problems with it, so any problems you have you can discuss with me.
And yes, I believe the Sal Leak. Also Chorus Boys are awesome, so I want to believe it too.
Brand Spankin' New Roster Roster.png

52 slots, Squritle, Ivysaur, and Snake cut.
And I cheated a bit on Mario. I figure that Yoshi and Wario can substitute as more Mario reps if Sakurai really cares about character balance so much.
And Takamaru is the placeholder retro. I've lost some faith with Greninja, although I still find him to be the most likely retro.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I know you'll probably have some problems with it, so any problems you have you can discuss with me.
And yes, I believe the Sal Leak. Also Chorus Boys are awesome, so I want to believe it too.
View attachment 12894
Well, for a roster based on the leak, it looks pretty good. The one thing I'd have to question is Ghirahim, though. I've just never believed him to be a likely character choice.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
View attachment 12894
- no Snake
- Mii
- Pacman
- No Ridley, but I hardly blame you

Sorry, but this roster isn't really anything spe--Wait. Who's that?

+++ Ghirahim

Instant favorite 10/10 would play.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Well, for a roster based on the leak, it looks pretty good. The one thing I'd have to question is Ghirahim, though. I've just never believed him to be a likely character choice.
Well think of it this way.
We've been getting characters to represent big games from a certain franchise, along with a lot of content from said game.
We have Rosalina and a Galaxy stage, and considering how big Galaxy is I'd be surprised if we didn't get more content.
X and Y was huge, and as a result, we got Greninja, new Pokeballs, and a stage. This is only so far.
We have a ton of Skyward Sword items, plus Skyloft. I think Ghirahim is definitely fair game.

HVDooD

Smash Cadet
Changed my vision a bit from recent opinions...

Pretty much confirmed:

good chance:

:rob:Probably coming back.
:jigglypuff:Original 12...
:ness2:Original 12...

Danger Zone:

:lucas:Only one of them will return, Ness has the most chance but you never know.
:mewtwomelee:Pokemon might get 6 slots but if they get 5 his chances are small to beat :jigglypuff:

Probaly Cut:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom