• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Akuma, Taskmaster, Sentinel, and Hsien-Ko weren't surprises for Mahvel 3.
They were still unlockable.

Ignoring guests like Snake and Sonic, it was pretty damn obvious Luigi was in Smash 64 and was hardly hidden. He was still unlockable.
This old commercial for Smash 64 showed all four of its unlockables.

MagnesD3

Smash Master

Ignoring guests like Snake and Sonic, it was pretty damn obvious Luigi was in Smash 64 and was hardly hidden. He was still unlockable.
Wow lol I never knew this, they made sure to spoil them all didnt they lol.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion

And Luigi was also part of Classic mode. I find that really funny, since that hardly makes him a hidden character.

D

Deleted member

And Luigi was also part of Classic mode. I find that really funny, since that hardly makes him a hidden character.
Even worse; Luigi is in the How to Play video.

The same video that shows up a few seconds after the title screen.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Even worse; Luigi is in the How to Play video.

The same video that shows up a few seconds after the title screen.
Are you serious? That's hilarious.

Speaking of Luigi, I think he's the only hidden character we've seen so far. Sakurai did say something along the lines of 'Normally we wouldn't reveal him this early, but Year of Luigi', which implies hidden characters are still around.

D

Deleted member

Are you serious? That's hilarious.

Speaking of Luigi, I think he's the only hidden character we've seen so far. Sakurai did say something along the lines of 'Normally we wouldn't reveal him this early, but Year of Luigi', which implies hidden characters are still around.
If Sakurai's statement about guest characters being more suited as unlockables still holds true, then Sonic and Mega Man are also hiddens we know about.

Last edited by a moderator:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Hmmm... So maybe this DOES suggest that Marth, Toon Link, and Lucario are now starters. And maybe Rosalina too.

Last edited:

easterislander13

Smash Rookie
I would like to se the following characters added/return for the fans that I have respect for:

1)Ridley
2)Geno (is he really not owned by Nintendo?)
3) Mewtwo
4) Pacman
5) Falco
6) Metaknight
7) King K. Rool
8) NiGHTS
9) Kamek

And as for my personal wish list:

1) Scizor
2) knuckles
3) Tom Nook or Gulliver
4) Snake
5) Squirtle
6) Ivysaur
7) Boo or King Boo
8) Mew
9) Blaziken

Those first two are my favourite characters among all video game history along with Cyrax from MK, anyway they are almost all incredibly unlikely to appear. As for who I want cut from the Smash Bros 4 roster, here it is:

1) Wario
2) Rob
3) Ice Climbers
4) Some of the already confirmed characters but with the good intentions of letting some new characters join the fun. Except for Wario I hate him.

P.s. That screen shot of the select screen is fake for real right, ok cool thanks.

Last edited:

Miffa

The Money Man
NNID
DeanMiffa
I would like to se the following characters added/return for the fans that I have respect for:

1)Ridley
2)Geno (is he really not owned by Nintendo?)
3) Mewtwo
4) Pacman
5) Falco
6) Metaknight
7) King K. Rool
8) NiGHTS
9) Kamek

And as for my personal wish list:

1) Scizor
2) knuckles
3) Tom Nook or Gulliver
4) Snake
5) Squirtle
6) Ivysaur
7) Boo or King Boo
8) Mew
9) Blaziken

Those first two are my favourite characters among all video game history along with Cyrax from MK, anyway they are almost all incredibly unlikely to appear. As for who I want cut from the Smash Bros 4 roster, here it is:

1) Wario
2) Rob
3) Ice Climbers
4) Some of the already confirmed characters but with the good intentions of letting some new characters join the fun. Except for Wario I hate him.

P.s. That screen shot of the select screen is fake for real right, ok cool thanks.
Geno is owned by sqaure enix because they made him.

D

Deleted member

About that starter/hidden characters thing, I would say that Sonic, Mega Man and most of the newcomers like Rosalina and Greninja will be unlockable, while all the others will be starters.

And speaking of this, maybe Toon Link now being a starter may tease Tetra's inclusion (or Toon Zelda too, but much less unique).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
We talking surprise characters? I actually think that Melee, of all games so far, has added the most surprise characters. Literally all the newcomers besides Bowser and Peach surprised me greatly! Even the likes of Zelda and Mewtwo. Mewtwo, whilst extremely popular, was more of everyone's favorite pipedream back in the day I felt. The Japanese wanted Marth badly, but to the western world he was a complete surprise because we didn't know him back then. And I doubt anyone would ever see the clones coming!

To me, all surprise characters in the series are:

N64:
:ness64::falcon64::jigglypuff64:

Melee:
:icsmelee::gawmelee::mewtwomelee::marthmelee::roymelee::zeldamelee::sheikmelee::younglinkmelee::ganondorfmelee::drmario::falcomelee::pichumelee:

Brawl:
:pt::rob::snake::zerosuitsamus:

Will refrain from judging Smash 4 untill we know the full roster.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
I don't think having "hidden" characters is just about surprise, it's about challenge/work and achievement too.

D

Deleted member

This isn't a bad idea, but it still causes a few problems during local play. If you go over to a friend's house and he/she hasn't unlocked your main... well, that just sucks for you. Having all characters unlocked for every player helps create parity between players during local play (and also during online play). It also helps give every character an equal amount of exposure. Why should Greninja or Sonic be given less exposure than Peach or Olimar? It's completely arbitrary, but it has a negative impact on exposing unfamiliar characters to new players like this series is supposed to do.

That being said, starting off the game with a whopping 50+ characters to choose from could be overwhelming for some, but I think the same could be said for a 30-35 character starting roster anyway.
One way to overcome this problem is for Smash to have multiple save files for this game so that there can be one save file for all characters unlocked from the start and one save file for playing the game as Sakurai intended. Done, problem solved. Other games do this, so why not Smash?

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
...So, why Hawlucha over Mewtwo as a sixth Pokemon character?
It's mostly because I'm in dire thirst of a wrestler in smash, and I hear Hawlucha is a good and popular pokemon from it's gen. I had Star Man originally on the roster as a wrestler and retro rep but I've realized that I already have Hawlucha (even though they can co exist). I might be the only one here that thinks Mewtwo won't return, but if he does I believe it'll be because he has a Mega Evolution and the marketing that's been going on for him.

Toon Zelda would be lame. Impa is the only sollution.
Good thing we have alt costumes now.:troll:

Last edited by a moderator:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
But Impa would be a sheik clone...at best
At worst, she'll be a semi-clone.

And honestly, semi-clones aren't even bad at all.

I'd love for a few semi-clones to happen and function like Ness / Lucas did in Brawl.

Diddy / Dixie
Marth / Roy
Sheik / Impa

All these characters would have similar weights, speeds, jumping abilities like Ness and Lucas did, but still have their own distinct feeling, and a few different Special Moves. Think it would all fit these characters very well. And gives more ways to play as popular characters in different ways. As Diddy, Marth and Sheik all have great functioning movesets.

So far, the amount of newcomers isn;t that much I feel. So I'll gladly take some semi-clones to buff up the roster.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
This is just my personal opinion, but I don't think that Diddy and Dixie would be clones.
It's just a possibility. Roy and Impa don't need to be clones, or semi-clones either. Fact still remains that through similarities, it may still happen.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'd love for a few semi-clones to happen and function like Ness / Lucas did in Brawl.

Diddy / Dixie
Marth / Roy
Sheik / Impa
And don't forget the Star Fox trio.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I wonder if we'll get a character reveal tomorrow due to NES Remix 2 releasing in Japan tomorrow. If not then possibly Friday due to the international release. Maybe Ice Climbers, G&W, or R.O.B? Who knows, but I think it's possible.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
At worst, she'll be a semi-clone.

Diddy / Dixie
Marth / Roy
Sheik / Impa

All these characters would have similar weights, speeds, jumping abilities like Ness and Lucas did, but still have their own distinct feeling, and a few different Special Moves. Think it would all fit these characters very well. And gives more ways to play as popular characters in different ways. As Diddy, Marth and Sheik all have great functioning movesets.

So far, the amount of newcomers isn;t that much I feel. So I'll gladly take some semi-clones to buff up the roster.
Then try and make a moveset for impa, Impa can simply be a costume for sheik and then add an original zelda character like ghirahim or vaati

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
To remind people, this still isn't the thread for debating the validity of "leaks".

easterislander13

Smash Rookie
I
Why do you want Wario, ROB, and Ice Climbers cut?
really dislike Wario I am sorry, I like the Ice Climbers sort of but I just wanted to see as many new comers as possible this time around. I feel as if Rob could have robbed a spot from someone requested a whole lot more in Brawl like Ridley or little Mac or really almost anyone.

D

Deleted member

Characters being cut =/= room for more characters.

Understand this now, and you'll save yourself trouble down the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom