• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think she'll be an unlockable. Of course, I think any franchise that has only 2 characters that one of them should be unlockable.
Kirby had 3 characters, and all of them were starters.
A series like Kid Icarus, with its recent success and popularity, makes perfect sense in a scenario like this.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
So...... do you think Palutena will be a lock or starter? I think starter.
She'll be a lock unless she's revealed before the 3ds version releases, or is even playable. Personally I prefer Medusa over Palutena as a KI newcomer.

Are we still posting rosters in this thread? I've got a questionable one right here.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
She'll be a lock unless she's revealed before the 3ds version releases, or is even playable. Personally I prefer Medusa over Palutena as a KI newcomer.

Are we still posting rosters in this thread? I've got a questionable one right here.

...So, why Hawlucha over Mewtwo as a sixth Pokemon character?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think that Shulk, Chorus Men, Chrom or Ike, all 3rd Parties, K.Rool, Greninja, Jiggly, Mewtwo, Rosalina could all be unlockables. But until we know the entire roster, it's hard to say.

Those that I listed are basically just examples. Surely there will be others.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
She'll be a lock unless she's revealed for the 3ds version releases, or is even playable. Personally I prefer Medusa over Palutena as a KI newcomer.

Points for Hawlucha, (blue) Toad, Dillon, Shulk, and Syrup, even though they aren't likely. (except maybe Shulk)

No Mewtwo, Ridley, or K.Rool makes me sad, though.

----

Last edited:

The Suit-less Ace

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2234-7574-2599
She'll be a lock unless she's revealed for the 3ds version releases, or is even playable. Personally I prefer Medusa over Palutena as a KI newcomer.

This is a nice dream roster. Hawlucha is an interesting choice for a 6th pokemon. I'd prefer Mewtwo. Also, I realized you didn't add K Rool. Might as well add both Dixie and K Rool.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Kirby had 3 characters, and all of them were starters.
A series like Kid Icarus, with its recent success and popularity, makes perfect sense in a scenario like this.
Diddy Kong and Donkey Kong were both starters. And there were only a few franchises with 2 characters.
I know, and I honestly think Meta Knight and Diddy should have been starters. Tbh, none of us have any idea what makes a character unlockable or not.

D

Deleted member

I just realized something; we don't have as many "surprising" characters for this game as we think.

Let's see what surprise characters we do have:

64:
Captain Falcon

Melee:
Ice Climbers
Zelda (to an extent)
Mr. Game & Watch
Dr. Mario
Young Link
Roy
Pichu

Brawl:
Snake
Pokémon Trainer
R.O.B.

SSB 3DS & Wii U:
Wii Fit Trainer
Gekkouga
Rosalina
Chorus Men

64 had one, Melee had seven (and would have been just three if it weren't for the roster expansion Sakurai made with clones), Brawl has five and this game, so far, has only three (Villager doesn't count due to an Animal Crossing rep being very highly requested pre-Brawl so he was likely added due to popularity). And we're already at twelve newcomers so far, so there's not many more spots left. Even if we were to see two more surprising additions (let's say Mach Rider and Cranky Kong), it'd still be less than Melee (although I really should be saying fifteen since I'm confident in Mewtwo's return). Let's do the math:

64: 1/12 = 8.33%
Melee: 7/14 = 50%
Brawl: 5/18 = 27.78%
SSB 3DS & Wii U (so far): 4/12 = 33.33%

So statistically, we have less than Melee so far. More surprises than Brawl, but it's hardly "full of surprises" that people make it out to be. It's not like they're defying expectations at every moment as well. We're still going to get a balance of expected and surprising additions; it's not suddenly going to slant to the latter this game.
All I can say is, that if people are expecting more characters that "nobody saw coming" I wouldn't count your chickens before they hatch.

I'm not saying it can't happen, but if every single character is somebody "YOU'LL LEARN TO LOVE" then that will probably not be met with overwhelming praise. Likelihood may be a "falsified statistic", but the amount of requests is not. If K.Rool gets passed over for Funky Kong, there will be a lot of butthurt fans. That would be like putting in a minor Pokemon over Mewtwo should we get another newcomer.

If Donkey Kong were a series without a lot of character requests, then it wouldn't be as big a deal. Pokemon at least has a pattern of newest gen Pokemon + Gen One Pokemon. Metroid probably isn't getting anybody, but that could be for whatever reason. K.Rool is for all intensive purposes, the most wanted newcomer for Smash 4. Ignoring that by putting in a different character would be a slap in the face in my opinion.

Again, not saying it can't happen, because it totally can. But I would certainly not expect too many more characters to be "Didn't see them coming" choices.
Glad someone made this post. I don't think DK is in a similar enough situation to where a surprise characters is as likely as it was for Mario or Pokémon. The Mario reps war had no agreements whatsoever and mostly any Pokémon could work in a Smash game as a fighter and Gekkouga worked since there was no true Lucario to the 6th gen (and it's not like we can't like both Gekkouga and Mewtwo in this game). DK on the other hand have two highly wanted characters; one of whom is the most wanted Nintendo newcomer for this game (only beaten by Mega Man and Mewtwo) and the other that was intended to appear in Brawl and just recently seen a return to prominence. It'd be a lot harder to pull off a surprise character in place of King K. Rool and Dixie Kong. Even if it happened; it'd be Cranky Kong, not Funky.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Roster post rosalina Roster.png

What's this? A new roster from Zzuxon!
Top left is actual roster. Bottom Left is DLC. Right is honorable mentions.

loganhogan

Smash Ace
I just realized something; we don't have as many "surprising" characters for this game as we think.

64:
Captain Falcon

Melee:
Ice Climbers
Zelda (to an extent)
Mr. Game & Watch
Dr. Mario
Young Link
Roy
Pichu

Brawl:
Snake
Pokémon Trainer
R.O.B.

SSB 3DS & Wii U:
Wii Fit Trainer
Gekkouga
Rosalina
Chorus Men

64 had one, Melee had seven (and would have been just three if it weren't for the roster expansion Sakurai made with clones), Brawl has five and this game, so far, has only three (Villager doesn't count due to an Animal Crossing rep being very highly requested pre-Brawl so he was likely added due to popularity). And we're already at twelve newcomers so far, so there's not many more spots left. Even if we were to see two more surprising additions (let's say Mach Rider and Cranky Kong), it'd still be less than Melee (although I really should be saying fifteen since I'm confident in Mewtwo's return). Let's do the math:

So statistically, we have less than Melee so far. More surprises than Brawl, but it's hardly "full of surprises" that people make it out to be. It's not like they're defying expectations at every moment as well. We're still going to get a balance of expected and surprising additions; it's not suddenly going to slant to the latter this game.Glad someone made this post. I don't think DK is in a similar enough situation to where a surprise characters is as likely as it was for Mario or Pokémon. The Mario reps war had no agreements whatsoever and mostly any Pokémon could work in a Smash game as a fighter and Gekkouga worked since there was no true Lucario to the 6th gen (and it's not like we can't like both Gekkouga and Mewtwo in this game). DK on the other hand have two highly wanted characters; one of whom is the most wanted Nintendo newcomer for this game (only beaten by Mega Man and Mewtwo) and the other that was intended to appear in Brawl and just recently seen a return to prominence. It'd be a lot harder to pull off a surprise character in place of King K. Rool and Dixie Kong. Even if it happened; it'd be Cranky Kong, not Funky.
Weren't Jigglypuff and Ness considered for surprise characters in the N64 too?

View attachment 12862
What's this? A new roster from Zzuxon!
Top left is actual roster. Bottom Left is DLC. Right is honorable mentions.
Your roster is beautiful.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Wait...

64:
Captain Falcon

Melee:
Ice Climbers
Zelda (to an extent)
Mr. Game & Watch
Dr. Mario
Young Link
Roy
Pichu

Brawl:
Snake
Pokémon Trainer
R.O.B.

SSB 3DS & Wii U:
Wii Fit Trainer
Gekkouga
Rosalina
Chorus Men

So statistically, we have less than Melee so far. More surprises than Brawl, but it's hardly "full of surprises" that people make it out to be. It's not like they're defying expectations at every moment as well. We're still going to get a balance of expected and surprising additions; it's not suddenly going to slant to the latter this game.Glad someone made this post. I don't think DK is in a similar enough situation to where a surprise characters is as likely as it was for Mario or Pokémon. The Mario reps war had no agreements whatsoever and mostly any Pokémon could work in a Smash game as a fighter and Gekkouga worked since there was no true Lucario to the 6th gen (and it's not like we can't like both Gekkouga and Mewtwo in this game). DK on the other hand have two highly wanted characters; one of whom is the most wanted Nintendo newcomer for this game (only beaten by Mega Man and Mewtwo) and the other that was intended to appear in Brawl and just recently seen a return to prominence. It'd be a lot harder to pull off a surprise character in place of King K. Rool and Dixie Kong. Even if it happened; it'd be Cranky Kong, not Funky.
We don't know if that leak is real... I don't think we can count the Chorus Men on here.

Other than that, I do agree with this post as a whole.

D

Deleted member

Weren't Jigglypuff and Ness considered for surprise characters in the N64 too?
I wouldn't say so. Jigglypuff was incredibly popular by the time she was added into the game (anime likely had influence there) and Ness's game was popular in Japan as well. I wouldn't say they were exactly surprising addition from Sakurai's perspective.

loganhogan

Smash Ace
I wouldn't say so. Jigglypuff was incredibly popular by the time she was added into the game (anime likely had influence there) and Ness's game was popular in Japan as well. I wouldn't say they were exactly surprising addition from Sakurai's perspective.
Rosalina and Greninja are popular so i'm slightly confused.

D

Deleted member

Rosalina and Greninja are popular so i'm slightly confused.
In those cases, things have changed. People who though a Mario rep would be in (and people were split on that) mostly did not expect Rosalina; they expected either Toad, Bowser Jr., Paper Mario or Waluigi and there weren't really any reason to expect her in either (even Dr. Mario was seen as more likely due to being planned for Brawl). Gekkouga was a blindside only eclipsed by Wii Fit Trainer and Snake and before the Smash Direct; the community generally expected Brawl + Mewtwo.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Was Jigglypuff more popular than Mewtwo, Charizard or even Squirtle at the time though? I'm not sure so that's why I'm asking, I find it a little hard to believe. I personally thought she was a surprise character when I was little. I agree she was in the anime but so were the three I mentioned, one even had a movie that came out in Japan before Smash's release. Not saying your wrong I'm just simply asking why if you would happen to know.

D

Deleted member

Was Jigglypuff more popular than Mewtwo, Charizard or even Squirtle at the time though? I'm not sure so that's why I'm asking, I find it a little hard to believe. I personally thought she was a surprise character when I was little. I agree she was in the anime but so were the three I mentioned, one even had a movie that came out in Japan before Smash's release. Not saying your wrong I'm just simply asking why if you would happen to know.
At the time the game came out, Pokémon was even more of a culture phenomenon and Jigglypuff appeared pretty frequently in the massive hit that was the anime. I would say that that pushed her into the game (although Mewtwo was planned to show up, but had to be cut due to technical constraints).
More Ridley and Mewtwo denial? Yeesh.
Mewtwo and Ridley's situation aren't similar at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
More Ridley and Mewtwo denial? Yeesh.
Mewtwo? I can understand why people think Ridley could be considered denial, but Mewtwo is still in the picture. He hasn't been "de-confirmed" like Ridley has been, at least.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294

64:
Captain Falcon

Melee:
Ice Climbers
Zelda (to an extent)
Mr. Game & Watch
Dr. Mario
Young Link
Roy
Pichu

Brawl:
Snake
Pokémon Trainer
R.O.B.

SSB 3DS & Wii U:
Wii Fit Trainer
Gekkouga
Rosalina
Chorus Men
The N64 on is kind of arbitrary, don't you think?
The whole game was a surprise, really.
I mean, there are a few characters I can name in the game that probably would be very common answers to the question:
"If there were to be a crossover featuring Nintendo characters, who would be in it?"
And I'd argue that Captain Falcon wouldn't be very common. Neither would Ness or Jigglypuff.
But who knows? That was fifteen years ago. How can we reliably say anything about who would've been "expected?" Not like we have polls are anything. And we know nothing of how Sakurai went about picking characters back then.

Last edited:

loganhogan

Smash Ace
In those cases, things have changed. People who though a Mario rep would be in (and people were split on that) mostly did not expect Rosalina; they expected either Toad, Bowser Jr., Paper Mario or Waluigi and there weren't really any reason to expect her in either (even Dr. Mario was seen as more likely due to being planned for Brawl). Gekkouga was a blindside only eclipsed by Wii Fit Trainer and Snake and before the Smash Direct; the community generally expected Brawl + Mewtwo.
I understand now thanks.

D

Deleted member

The N64 on is kind of arbitrary, don't you think?
The whole game was a surprise, really.
I mean, there are a few characters I can name in the game that probably would be very common answers to the question:
"If there were to be a crossover featuring Nintendo characters, who would be in it?"
And I'd argue that Captain Falcon wouldn't be very common. Neither would Ness or Jigglypuff.
But who knows? That was fifteen years ago. How can we reliably say anything about who would've been "expected?" Not like we have polls are anything. And we know nothing of how Sakurai went about picking characters back then.
In that case, I'm going with someone that would have totally blind-sighted everyone's expectations due to how little we know of Sakurai's thought process in that game. In hindsight, Ness and Jigglypuff's inclusion made sense, but Captain Falcon was a shock addition, no matter how anyone slices it.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
At the time the game came out, Pokémon was even more of a culture phenomenon and Jigglypuff appeared pretty frequently in the massive hit that was the anime. I would say that that pushed her into the game (although Mewtwo was planned to show up, but had to be cut due to technical constraints)
So you think it was mostly the anime correct? Hmm, I agree that would boost her popularity up a lot.
Thanks! What do you like about it?
Paper Mario is somewhere. Day one DLC purchase for me.

loganhogan

Smash Ace
Thanks! What do you like about it?
I like the balance in your roster between popular and not so popular characters and the new additions of different unrepresented series while not excluding already represented series.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I think that Shulk, Chorus Men, Chrom or Ike, all 3rd Parties, K.Rool, Greninja, Jiggly, Mewtwo, Rosalina could all be unlockables. But until we know the entire roster, it's hard to say.

Those that I listed are basically just examples. Surely there will be others.
Greninja and Rosalina are going to be starter characters.

D

Deleted member

In fact, I'd go as far as to say that everyone (except possibly third-parties) will likely be available from the start. I mean, Salromano is likely going to leak all the newcomers in it anyway and it's not like we can't have unlockable contents in other parts of the game so might as well.

Hype Train

Woolly World hype!!
NNID
YesMann
3DS FC
0860-3788-1263
In fact, I'd go as far as to say that everyone (except possibly third-parties) will likely be available from the start. I mean, Salromano is likely going to leak all the newcomers in it anyway and it's not like we can't have unlockable contents in other parts of the game so might as well.
Yeah, at this rate, I'm pretty confident the whole roster will be unlocked right off the bat. It just doesn't make sense anymore to keep half of the most important part of the game - the fighters - hidden away from the player behind arbitrary goal requirements.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Eh, I don't know about that. We really can't say for sure whether or not any of the revealed characters will be starter or secret characters with certainty at this point. Personally, characters like Rosalina and Greninja strike me as secret character material. I could be wrong, but's that's what I think.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, at this rate, I'm pretty confident the whole roster will be unlocked right off the bat. It just doesn't make sense anymore to keep half of the most important part of the game - the fighters - hidden away from the player behind arbitrary goal requirements.
To be fair, I do feel the option should exist for those who want the excitement of unlocking their favorite character. I just don't think it should be or will be mandatory for this game.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Eh, I don't know about that. We really can't say for sure whether or not any of the revealed characters will be starter or secret characters with certainty at this point. Personally, characters like Rosalina and Greninja strike me as secret character material. I could be wrong, but's that's what I think.
So wait, despite the fact that they were already revealed, they'll be unlockable?

You know the point of unlockable characters is to be a surprise, right? What the **** is the point of spoiling unlockable characters months in advance?

Last edited:

Hype Train

Woolly World hype!!
NNID
YesMann
3DS FC
0860-3788-1263
To be fair, I do feel the option should exist for those who want the excitement of unlocking their favorite character. I just don't think it should be or will be mandatory for this game.
This isn't a bad idea, but it still causes a few problems during local play. If you go over to a friend's house and he/she hasn't unlocked your main... well, that just sucks for you. Having all characters unlocked for every player helps create parity between players during local play (and also during online play). It also helps give every character an equal amount of exposure. Why should Greninja or Sonic be given less exposure than Peach or Olimar? It's completely arbitrary, but it has a negative impact on exposing unfamiliar characters to new players like this series is supposed to do.

That being said, starting off the game with a whopping 50+ characters to choose from could be overwhelming for some, but I think the same could be said for a 30-35 character starting roster anyway.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
What the **** is the point of spoiling unlockable characters months in advance?
"It will only be put up on the internet anyway, so I may as well reveal everyone before release. And not make Subspace Emissary." *Not an actual quote

That's the gist of it anyway. I don't think Sakurai gives a flying **** anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom