• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
My god. You're right. You are so right. All of our rosters are wrong.
I know it will happen too because no one wanted or expected it.

Nightmare is the exception, because he has a debt to repay :p

Also, is Roy really the second most requested character?
Weird.
LOL no way is Roy the second most requested character. In my eyes

*_* (they are so sparkly)

so far ive seen people talk about Ike more than Roy. Samething happens over and over. Watch the next next SSB bringing in a new fire emblem char, and people saying "I hope Chrom will be back". lol

What im trying to say is once the game comes out AND U HAVE PLAYED ALL THE CHAR IN THE GAME. THEN CRITIZISE ON THAT CHAR and how you think u should've gotten the char u wanted and how bad is the char that's on the next ssb.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
"Very popular an important character with potential. PFFT! That's like adding an unknown character from one game with moves that I just made up."
Well, BKUPPA66 I simply can't debate you. You're analogies and arguments are just too logical.
That wasn't a debate, that was my personal strongly-held belief. Your entitled to disagreement.

Also, Brash the Bear has a flourishing fanbase over on DK Vine, rivaled only by Ted the Boat Builder from Conker's Pocket Tales. And he's in three games, counting the DKC3 GBA port, not one.

Last edited:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Nightmare is the exception, because he has a debt to repay :p

Also, is Roy really the second most requested character?
Weird.
I don't really think that counts as an exception, but okay...

And yeah, he's definitely somewhere in the top 4 most wanted in the West and in the top 2 in Japan with Mewtwo being the only one beating him.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I know it will happen too because no one wanted or expected it.
It's not even the fact that you disagree that's ignorant. It's your lack of rationality to act like anything controversial is automatically illogical and your attempts to make it seem as such by twisting the facts or reasoning of the character's inclusion into something that WOULD sound illogical because the real ones don't.

I don't claim to know things and I NEVER add characters for the reason of controversy. I also don't find mocking people with the use of lies to make you sound right to be very mature either.

In these situations I use the ignore button.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Well, I'm off to challenge Dark Souls 2 once again, so have fun criticizing my roster for characters I want rather than expect!

Also, this is my last roster until we know the full roster or one of the characters on it is disconfirmed.
However I will add Paper Mario since it's apparently a sin to include 6 Zelda/Pokemon characters and only five Mario characters.
So enjoy it!

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
That wasn't a debate, that was my personal strongly-held belief. Your entitled to disagreement.

Also, Brash the Bear has a flourishing fanbase over on DK Vine, rivaled only by Ted the Boat Builder from Conker's Pocket Tales. And he's in three games, counting the DKC3 GBA port, not one.
Oh, I thought you were using him as an analogy for Funky Kong. That would have been funnier.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
With all this Funky Kong/Dixie Kong/angry bear debate going on, I have to ask, what's wrong with K. Rool again? After all, he is one of the most requested newcomers for this game across the world, is the main antagonist of the Donkey Kong series, and clearly has plenty of move set potential to be a unique fighter. Going off of that, he seems much more likely than someone like Funky Kong, to me at least.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
With all this Funky Kong/Dixie Kong/angry bear debate going on, I have to ask, what's wrong with K. Rool again? After all, he is one of the most requested newcomers for this game across the world, is the main antagonist of the Donkey Kong series, and clearly has plenty of move set potential to be a unique fighter. Going off of that, he seems much more likely than someone like Funky Kong, to me at least.
Of course he's more likely. But, less likely characters have happened over more likely ones. And for reasons other than just popularity and importance.

There's nothing wrong with King K. Rool. Although I never saw him as a very original character.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Since you guys are intensely debating a roster...
I'll change the subject by introducing my intense-debate inducing roster!

View attachment 12841

Yep, I hand made a roster this time.
Cuts: Squirtle, Ivysaur
Newcomers: Ghirahim, King. K Rool, Ridley, Chrom, Lucina, Shulk, Mach Rider, Nightmare

So I've decided, since it's so close to E3 and we've all learned that all of our expectations, for better or worse, will likely be shattered, I've decided to have some fun with this one.
I still think this could happen though, I just highly doubt it.

So what do you guys think?
Who is Nightmare?

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
You're just saying that because King K. Rool isn't a semi-clone. Just because you're move set isn't based on someone else's doesn't make it or the character automatically interesting...
To take the side of K. Rool, I personally don't think he'd really be the most unique playstyle-defining character in the world. (Though, I suppose you could go the stance change route. IE Have him switch costumes with tweaks, or possibly full-on changes, to his moveset with each, but I digress as I don't think that's likely to happen.) But I also don't think he really has to either
I like K. Rool a lot for just how he could potentially look when moving around, using his attacks, and other movements.
To be a little more concise, Greninja is kind of what I'm getting at. Greninja doesn't really have (as far as I can tell from what little we've seen) some kind of shiny never-before-seen playstyle. Despite that, he does come with a sort of unique flavor that I really like. That of a ninja...a frog ninja! Game & Watch is another example. I don't see him as very unique moveset wise, but he comes with that flatness, those choppy movements and those primitive sounds he makes. Al of which I find very humorous and intriguing.
Getting back to K. Rool, it's his potential flavor that appeals to me, like the other two. That of a big hulking, serious and evil villain like Bowser (in some games) or Ganondorf, but with the goofiness of Dedede thrown in. Or perhaps one could go the more kuh-razy route. Have his moveset and general movements play on the idea that he's a bit...unstable, for lack of a better word.
A bit of arbitrary reason, yes, but, I don't know, I see him bringing a unique presence. (His presents is his presence!) Even if the moveset itself is possibly not that unique. Ya feel me?
On that note, I do see the appeal of Funky Kong. I can see him having the same kind of appeal as above. What, with his sporty attitude and habits, but I still want K. Rool more since I see him as more important to the franchise overall. Even if he has been on hiatus.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Of course he's more likely. But, less likely characters have happened over more likely ones. And for reasons other than just popularity and importance.

There's nothing wrong with King K. Rool. Although I never saw him as a very original character.
At the same time though, it may be worth considering that K. Rool is also thought of as unlikely by a good number of people, especially with Dixie around. But really, just because we got some characters that were thought of as unlikely doesn't mean that every character considered unlikely is suddenly likely, and vice versa, especially when the concepts of likely and unlikely are loosely defined terms we fans made up. If that makes any sense whatsoever.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
I would honestly rather Cranky Kong than any of these characters, with his moveset based primarily on Tropical Freeze,
and his Final Smash being "25m", where he transforms into the original arcade DK and throws barrels down from the top of the screen.

He is technically more important to Nintendo history than most other Smash characters.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
At the same time though, it may be worth considering that K. Rool is also thought of as unlikely by a good number of people, especially with Dixie around. But really, just because we got some characters that were thought of as unlikely doesn't mean that every character considered unlikely is suddenly likely, and vice versa, especially when the concepts of likely and unlikely are loosely defined terms we fans made up. If that makes any sense whatsoever.
I don't know where you got that idea that being unlikely makes you likely. I'm simply pointing out that being considered likely or more important doesn't always make you more likely than someone else. That's it.

In other words. It's not unlikely just because it doesn't seem as sensical as the alternative. I'm not at all saying that makes them likely. It just doesn't necessarily make them unlikely.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
In short, ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN BECAUSE ITS SAKURAI!!!!!

THREAD CLOSED...... jk LOL :p

Keep up with the opinions people of possible char that may come to the next ssb.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Why are we not talking about how unique Cranky could be? He has that cane that can let him bounce around everywhere, he can have an awesome fighting style similar to Rolento in Street Fighter. If Funky can have an arsenal of weapons because of his role in DK64 then Cranky can have moves revolving around potions. He can drink potions that will give him awesome powers and upgrades, and he can throw bad potions that will cause negative effects on the enemy. He also of course can have references to the days when he was the original Donkey Kong with barrels, (maybe that's why we've seen no sign of barrels as items yet) and he can just have references to old 8-bit games in general, heck, for his Final Smash he can drink a potion which turns him into classic DK.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
Im still hoping for Isaac golden sun char but that damn gematsu leak rumor he was right for most of the char that he leaked before e3. So im wondering he could actually be correct for the most recent leak (shulk, palutena, etc...) . I can't see Wii fit trainer being a lucky guess and little mac? Just how on earth could u possibly think that wii fit trainer is going to be playable char in the game. That I don't get. Like Wii fit trainer doesn't even feel like a char, she has seems to have no emotion whatsoever. The way im looking at Wii fit trainer is a "WHITE STICK LADY" with made up moves. BUT AWESOME still in a weird way.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
You know the color of Ridley's wing is supposed to be pink. But, in Smash 4 it's not.

Is there any reason it couldn't be Meta Ridley?

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
As much as I know people hate talking about Jigglypuff, I feel I need more answers from both the supporters and the haters.

I've been holding off on asking these questions because I feared an "Isn't it obvious?", but seeing how often these arguments are used by both sides, I think a little more of an in-depth look is fair. I tried looking up these things myself, but I really couldn't find anything but people guessing. You guys are usually able to provide much more legitimate answers to stuff anyway.

First off is from the side that thinks Jigglypuff will be cut/would be the first to be cut:
"Jigglypuff was low priority in brawl."

Second off is from the supports:
"Jigglypuff is easy to make."

Please provide whatever information you can on either/both of these arguments. Data would be a huge help. If assumptions are made, then please provide evidence for these assumptions.

It's important that we are able to squeeze as much detail as we can.

Please and thank you from both sides. And please be civil.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Why are we not talking about how unique Cranky could be? He has that cane that can let him bounce around everywhere, he can have an awesome fighting style similar to Rolento in Street Fighter. If Funky can have an arsenal of weapons because of his role in DK64 then Cranky can have moves revolving around potions. He can drink potions that will give him awesome powers and upgrades, and he can throw bad potions that will cause negative effects on the enemy. He also of course can have references to the days when he was the original Donkey Kong with barrels, (maybe that's why we've seen no sign of barrels as items yet) and he can just have references to old 8-bit games in general, heck, for his Final Smash he can drink a potion which turns him into classic DK.
This so much. He could also have his denture popgun from Tropical Freeze, 25m could be his Final Smash. Like I said, he's (technically) extremely important to Nintendo history.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
All I can say is, that if people are expecting more characters that "nobody saw coming" I wouldn't count your chickens before they hatch.

I'm not saying it can't happen, but if every single character is somebody "YOU'LL LEARN TO LOVE" then that will probably not be met with overwhelming praise. Likelihood may be a "falsified statistic", but the amount of requests is not. If K.Rool gets passed over for Funky Kong, there will be a lot of butthurt fans. That would be like putting in a minor Pokemon over Mewtwo should we get another newcomer.

If Donkey Kong were a series without a lot of character requests, then it wouldn't be as big a deal. Pokemon at least has a pattern of newest gen Pokemon + Gen One Pokemon. Metroid probably isn't getting anybody, but that could be for whatever reason. K.Rool is for all intensive purposes, the most wanted newcomer for Smash 4. Ignoring that by putting in a different character would be a slap in the face in my opinion.

Again, not saying it can't happen, because it totally can. But I would certainly not expect too many more characters to be "Didn't see them coming" choices.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
That was his wing
I think it was both actually. His tail definitely shows up, but I do think his wing was in there.

EDIT: I watched it again. Didn't see anything of his wings. At least not to the point that it would show the color.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

SmashLeak1's so-called "leaks" are fakes.
Hey, here's a question. Say we get a Mother reveal. Who'd it be first? Ness or Lucas?
It could go either way, but I'll say Ness just because of veteran status.
Im still hoping for Isaac golden sun char but that damn gematsu leak rumor he was right for most of the char that he leaked before e3. So im wondering he could actually be correct for the most recent leak (shulk, palutena, etc...) . I can't see Wii fit trainer being a lucky guess and little mac? Just how on earth could u possibly think that wii fit trainer is going to be playable char in the game. That I don't get. Like Wii fit trainer doesn't even feel like a char, she has seems to have no emotion whatsoever. The way im looking at Wii fit trainer is a "WHITE STICK LADY" with made up moves. BUT AWESOME still in a weird way.
If there's any leak that's worth paying attention to at the moment; it's this one. I can't see the Gematsu leak not coming true at this point.

Not only did this man get Wii Fit Trainer of all characters right, Salromano is also a credible leaker who has leaked for other games before. He hasn't always been right with the roster (see Marvel Vs. Capcom 3), but when he's right, he's entirely right. So it's less of a question of if it's true and more of who's left and is Salromano going to leak the final batch of newcomers before release.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
All I can say is, that if people are expecting more characters that "nobody saw coming" I wouldn't count your chickens before they hatch.
I'm just gonna stop you right there.
You've already made the misconception that I'm defending a character and saying that characters that are less important in comparison have gotten in for other reasons such as uniqueness and character so I must be supporting him because he's considered unlikely. So I'm not going to keep responding to that. I'm done with bull **** accusations that I just add characters because they're unlikely or controversial. I'm not a troll.

If K.Rool gets passed over for Funky Kong, there will be a lot of butthurt fans. That would be like putting in a minor Pokemon over Mewtwo should we get another newcomer.

And before you give me the reasons WHY these characters got in before Mewtwo, I should note that by doing so you'll only be supporting my argument. Which is that exceptions are made and sometimes lesser important characters make it in over more important characters for minor reasons that have big outcomes.

If Donkey Kong were a series without a lot of character requests, then it wouldn't be as big a deal. Pokemon at least has a pattern of newest gen Pokemon + Gen One Pokemon. Metroid probably isn't getting anybody, but that could be for whatever reason. K.Rool is for all intensive purposes, the most wanted newcomer for Smash 4. Ignoring that by putting in a different character would be a slap in the face in my opinion
He butt slapped you many times. Don't be disappointed if it happens again. Your defense seems to be that everyone wants K. Rool so it'd be absurd if he's not in. And my one and only point in this response is. Don't be so naive that you don't even question a character because he's important and everyone wants them and dismiss everyone else entirely because they're not AS important and requested. If it's a character who doesn't even have merits to begin with that's different, but Butthurt is NOT a reason someone is more likely. Otherwise Ridley wouldn't be a boss constantly teased by Sakurai.

THAT'S IT! End of story. This doesn't make Funky more likely, it makes him less unlikely than you make him out to be because every character has to happen in a specific order in a specific priority to you.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm just gonna stop you right there.
You've already made the misconception that I'm defending a character and saying that characters that are less important in comparison have gotten in for other reasons such as uniqueness and character so I must be supporting him because he's considered unlikely. So I'm not going to keep responding to that. I'm done with bull **** accusations that I just add characters because they're unlikely or controversial. I'm not a troll.

And before you give me the reasons WHY these characters got in before Mewtwo, I should note that by doing so you'll only be supporting my argument. Which is that exceptions are made and sometimes lesser important characters make it in over more important characters for minor reasons that have big outcomes.

He butt slapped you many times. Don't be disappointed if it happens again. Your defense seems to be that everyone wants K. Rool so it'd be absurd if he's not in. And my one and only point in this response is. Don't be so naive that you don't even question a character because he's important and everyone wants them and dismiss everyone else entirely because they're not AS important and requested. Butthurt is NOT a reason someone is more likely or else Ridley wouldn't be a boss constantly teased by Sakurai.

THAT'S IT! End of story. This doesn't make Funky more likely, it makes him less unlikely than you make him out to be because every character has to happen in a specific order in a specific priority to you.
Uh...that wasn't even completely directed at you. I wasn't accusing you of anything. Chill out.

Exceptions are made, but what I'm saying is that it shouldn't be expected for Sakurai to make too many more exceptions. That's literally all I was saying. I directly mentioned that there is a pattern of a current gen and first gen Pokemon getting in, so that can explain Greninja. Jigglypuff could be a number of things, such as the fact that when it came time, she probably took less time to program, and therefore was added. Factor in that she's an original 12 character (which hasn't been proven to matter) and that could very well explain her priority.

Butthurtedness isn't going to stop Sakurai from excluding a character, but it would be damn foolish to ignore him considering his popularity. Not everyone wants him, sure. But a hell of a lot of people do.

D

Deleted member

I made a roster that nobody will like!

Ken Griffey Jr. is placeholder for whatever character you can think of.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
@SaturnGamer64
I love how creative your ideas are.
But adding Louie and Bulborbs to the roster, an idea you just came up with and nobody else ever has?
And Funky over K. Rool seems ridiculous, but Sakurai has certainly done worse.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Uh...that wasn't even completely directed at you. I wasn't accusing you of anything. Chill out.
I'm the only one who was discussing that a character shouldn't be dismissed because they are less important in comparison. You're assuming that because you heard someone talking about less important or likely characters have gotten in before and using it commonly as a defense against people who dismiss the character that they must be assuming "Oh, well Sakurai adds a lot of unexpected characters, so I should add characters just because of that and that alone."

You clearly read my post talking about how an unexpected character that is still very popular, but whose unique benefit is bringing something the alternatives don't is a good marketing strategy.

Exceptions are made, but what I'm saying is that it shouldn't be expected for Sakurai to make too many more exceptions. That's literally all I was saying.
Good. People should keep that in mind. But, the same applies in vice versa.

Actually,Funky doesn't sound half bad.

Let's just hope it's not Mario Kart Wii all over again.

NAYNAYNAYNAYNAY!
That was...weird. The inclusion AND the NYA,NYA,NYA!!!!!

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I made a roster that nobody will like!

Ken Griffey Jr. is placeholder for whatever character you can think of.
Oh ****,you put in Krystal?

RUN!

RUN WHILE SATURN TYPES IN AN ARGUMENT!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom