• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
@SaturnGamer64

If I may ask you a question regarding your roster... For what purpose are you cutting Wolf? I know that you've already established that you don't think he's necessary as a character, but at the same time, when you're adding clone characters like Louie in, I have to wonder why you don't just bother keeping the workable veteran in instead of adding more clones.
Sometimes being a newcomer and taking less time to develop can influence your priority. Notice Mewtwo was exceedingly important, yet Wolf was a highly requested newcomer and Jigglypuff was easy to develop.

Then there are simple things as move set potential. Like I said, it's not a deck of cards consisting of one character before the other. Characters like Rosalina become higher priority than Toad because of things like recency and move set potential.

Then there's the promise of Pikmin getting another character whilst Star Fox can still retain the two essentials. It's more selective than "This character did more, therefore higher priotity."

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
"Funky Kong is the prime candidate for a Donkey Kong newcomer, as his wide range of weapons and funky attitude would add way more to the game than King K. Rool or Dixie Kong's bubble gum and hair-twirling abilities." - said no one ever

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
"Funky Kong is the prime candidate for a Donkey Kong newcomer, as his wide range of weapons and funky attitude would add way more to the game than King K. Rool or Dixie Kong's bubble gum and hair-twirling abilities." - said no one ever
I have to agree that Dixie and K. Rool would get in over Funky, but I still love Funky.

Morbi

Scavenger
Apparently SaturnGamer believes so... and to an extent, I agree. His funky attitude would bring more to the game than you know; it really would. Honestly, as someone who isn't a fan of Donkey Kong, a casual Nintendo noob, I know much more about Funky than Dixie. This is mostly due to his inclusion in Mario Kart, but I feel as though he is more marketable than most are asserting. He really is.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Sometimes being a newcomer and taking less time to develop can influence your priority. Notice Mewtwo was exceedingly important, yet Wolf was a highly requested newcomer and Jigglypuff was easy to develop.

Then there are simple things as move set potential. Like I said, it's not a deck of cards consisting of one character before the other. Characters like Rosalina become higher priority than Toad because of things like recency and move set potential.

Then there's the promise of Pikmin getting another character whilst Star Fox can still retain the two essentials. It's more selective than "This character did more, therefore higher priotity."
Sure, priority is weird, but I don't think that really answers my question. What are you really adding to the roster in place of Wolf? Another character from a tiny series? And a clone, at that? I mean, you said yourself how Wolf was a highly requested newcomer, and given his significance to the Star Fox series, and the significance of Star Fox as a whole, I would think it would be a much wiser idea to keep Wolf, rework him some (although he doesn't even need it much of it), and don't waste time adding in some new clone like Louie, who I don't think is really that popular a character to begin with.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Apparently SaturnGamer believes so... and to an extent, I agree. His funky attitude would bring more to the game than you know; it really would. Honestly, as someone who isn't a fan of Donkey Kong, a casual Nintendo noob, I know much more about Funky than Dixie. This is mostly due to his inclusion in Mario Kart, but I feel as though he is more marketable than most are asserting. He really is.
Perhaps Dixie, but certainly not King K. Rool.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I thought Funky was a bad decision in Mario Kart Wii. Would've preferred K. Rool or Dixie, not that I hate Funky. Same thing for Smash.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Sure, priority is weird, but I don't think that really answers my question. What are you really adding to the roster in place of Wolf? Another character from a tiny series? And a clone, at that? I mean, you said yourself how Wolf was a highly requested newcomer, and given his significance to the Star Fox series, and the significance of Star Fox as a whole, I would think it would be a much wiser idea to keep Wolf, rework him some (although he doesn't even need it much of it), and don't waste time adding in some new clone like Louie, who I don't think is really that popular a character to begin with.
Nobody is in place of any cut veteran. Just like R.O.B. wasn't in place of Pichu or Dr. Mario. And Little Mac isn't in place of Ivysaur.

And I thought I was over this. The potential of a newcomer who is an important character in a series which is VERY important (despite that you agree on the basis that it only has 3 installments) seems more important than breaking your back over a character that overrepresents a series that's just fine with who it has. Nobody is replacing Wolf, I cut Wolf based on his own priority based on his own context. A third Fox fighter in an already well represented series who was added very late in development.

I mean obviously Palutena is not more merited than Mewtwo and Kid Icarus is a smaller series. But, think of what Pokemon already has and how this benefits Smash. She's a newcomer, so she's not a familiar face. I'm not saying being a newcomer makes you automatically higher priority, but it certainly benefits the game by bringing something fresh and it benefits Kid Icarus which is only a one slot IP.

And, again. Priority is not always just who's more popular, who did more. There's also what a character can bring to the game that hasn't already been brought. And you don't have to have a fully unique move set to bring something not already brought to the game. Characters bring other thins to the game besides move sets.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I didn't want to say that because it sounds like a weak defense, but what you described is exactly how I feel whole heartedly. But, it's not the only reason I added Funky.

Last edited by a moderator:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
And I thought I was over this. The potential of a newcomer who is an important character in a series which is VERY important (despite that you agree on the basis that it only has 3 installments) seems more important than breaking your back over a character that overrepresents a series that's just fine with who it has. Nobody is replacing Wolf, I cut Wolf based on his own priority based on his own context. A third Fox fighter in an already well represented series who was added very late in development.
I would disagree with this. I would think that attempting to return a wanted veteran who's important to a significant and popular series would be more important than breaking your back over adding a brand new (clone) character that over represents a series that's just fine with who it has. Pikmin, I don't think, really needs anyone outside of Olimar, nor is there strong demand for a new Pikmin character, or even a lot of potential from a new Pikmin character. There just isn't much reason to add a new Pikmin character, except for the sake of adding a new Pikmin character, which I don't think justifies a character on its own. And I know that no one technically replaced Wolf. I'm just questioning where the effort that could have gone into Wolf went.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
In fact now that I think about it. Being more marketable isn't a too weak defense. One would think that the best marketing decision is give what the majority of fans want. But, when you give them something you know they'd want, BUT THEY DON'T KNOW then you have a well received inclusion as well as surprise benefit. Gets the fans talking about the controversial inclusion and then they become more adapted to it and eventually come to love it. Like what happened with Wii Fit Trainer. Nobody asked for it, everyone hated it at first reaction, but now they're all over her.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Since you guys are intensely debating a roster...
I'll change the subject by introducing my intense-debate inducing roster!

rostertemp.PNG

Yep, I hand made a roster this time.
Cuts: Squirtle, Ivysaur
Newcomers: Ghirahim, King. K Rool, Ridley, Chrom, Lucina, Shulk, Mach Rider, Nightmare

So I've decided, since it's so close to E3 and we've all learned that all of our expectations, for better or worse, will likely be shattered, I've decided to have some fun with this one.
I still think this could happen though, I just highly doubt it.

So what do you guys think?

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Look at how notable Funky's character is. I'm going to use this as a distracting excuse to completely dismiss all of his potential abilities whilst exclusively acknowledging the potential of the characters I support.

What you're doing kind of reminds me of a person telling his side of the story, but exaggerating what the other person said to make it sound like you're the hero and leaving out all the parts you didn't WANT them to hear.

Funky DOES have a wide range of weapons. A Surf Board, a Barrel Cannon, and Cartoony military equipment would be more unique than throwing a crown, shooting balls, doing a ground bound, and twirling hair imo.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Since you guys are intensely debating a roster, I'll change the subject by introducing my intense-debate inducing roster!

View attachment 12841

Newcomers: Ghirahim, King. K Rool, Ridley, Chrom, Lucina, Shulk, Mach Rider, Nightmare

So I've decided, since it's so close to E3 and we've all learned that all of our expectations, for better or worse, will likely be shattered, I've decided to have some fun with this one.

Deconfirmed character, 6 Zelda and Pokemon characters with no sixth Mario character, and 4 Fire Emblem characters, one of which is from the same game as another and not even the main character, AND brings literally nothing new. Nuff said. Also who is Nightmare?

Perhaps Dixie, but certainly not King K. Rool.
You're just saying that because King K. Rool isn't a semi-clone. Just because you're move set isn't based on someone else's doesn't make it or the character automatically interesting...

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
I remember funky from the donkey kong 64. lol use to <3 playing him. But he would turn into a donkey kong clone unless I could see him using that same bazooka he had on the n64 donkey kong.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I would disagree with this. I would think that attempting to return a wanted veteran who's important to a significant and popular series would be more important than breaking your back over adding a brand new (clone) character that over represents a series that's just fine with who it has. Pikmin, I don't think, really needs anyone outside of Olimar, nor is there strong demand for a new Pikmin character, or even a lot of potential from a new Pikmin character. There just isn't much reason to add a new Pikmin character, except for the sake of adding a new Pikmin character, which I don't think justifies a character on its own. And I know that no one technically replaced Wolf. I'm just questioning where the effort that could have gone into Wolf went.
Well...I think we might just be at an impass now. We both seem to disagree on what is more necessary. So I don't really no what else to say.

This may be a little late, but could anybody explain Wolf to me?
In my opinion, he was only added for fan demand.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Deconfirmed character, 6 Zelda and Pokemon characters with no sixth Mario character, and 4 Fire Emblem characters, one of which is from the same game as another and not even the main character, AND brings literally nothing new. Nuff said. Also who is Nightmare?
Ridley isn't disconfirmed and that shouldn't matter to you, HOW DID I FORGET PAPER MARIO, no comment because this argument will go nowhere because you hate Lucina for some reason, and Nightmare is the best Namco rep.

Last edited:

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
Nobody is in place of any cut veteran. Just like R.O.B. wasn't in place of Pichu or Dr. Mario. And Little Mac isn't in place of Ivysaur.

I mean obviously Palutena is not more merited than Mewtwo and Kid Icarus is a smaller series. But, think of what Pokemon already has and how this benefits Smash. She's a newcomer, so she's not a familiar face. I'm not saying being a newcomer makes you automatically higher priority, but it certainly benefits the game by bringing something fresh and it benefits Kid Icarus which is only a one slot IP.

And, again. Priority is not always just who's more popular, who did more. There's also what a character can bring to the game that hasn't already been brought. And you don't have to have a fully unique move set to bring something not already brought to the game. Characters bring other thins to the game besides move sets.
It's hard to read ur post when it's blue try white it's more appealing to read with the black background.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Ridley isn't disconfirmed and that shouldn't matter to you
Well...he kind of is. So...it kind of does...but, I'll let it pass.

It's hard to read ur post when it's blue try white it's more appealing to read with the black background.
I made it a different shade to fix that. I can read it fine. Besides, blue is kind of my thing.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473

View attachment 12841

I like to see Nightmare and Lucina. Cool stuff but I highly doubt it. The only character that I don't like that you support and is in your roster would be Ghirahim, but I haven't played Skyward Sword so take that with a grain of salt. I prefer Vaati ;)

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

View attachment 12841

So... Chrom AND Lucina?

...And who's Nightmare?

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
Well...he kind of is. So...it kind of does...but, I'll let it pass.

I made it a different shade to fix that. I can read it fine. Besides, blue is kind of my thing.
I don't know why but its just that mentally I feel like ignoring your post just because of the color I don't know why or is it just me. I'm getting out of topic. Anyways all up to you just notifying u cuz I <3 to read everyone "reasonable" comments here.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.

View attachment 12841

I'd replace Chrom with Roy
I don't think Nightmare is possible. Doesn't he appear in only fighting games?
Oh, and you should replace Ghirahim with Vaati:troll:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I like to see Nightmare and Lucina. Cool stuff but I highly doubt it. The only character that I don't like that you support and is in your roster would be Ghirahim, but I haven't played Skyward Sword so take that with a grain of salt. I prefer Vaati ;)
I would actually be completely okay with Vaati. He's one of my favorite Zelda characters, actually.

So... Chrom AND Lucina?

...And who's Nightmare?
Yep. Both. I don't see why not.
Also, Nightmare is the best.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I'd replace Chrom with Roy
I gave up on Roy when I saw Greninja

I don't know why but its just that mentally I feel like ignoring your post just because of the color I don't know why or is it just me. I'm getting out of topic. Anyways all up to you just notifying u cuz I <3 to read everyone "reasonable" comments here.
NO! PAY ATTENTION TO ME!!! :cry::cry::cry:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Yep. Both. I don't see why not.
Also, Nightmare is the best.
I believe I've said this before, but I really don't think Lucina is important enough as a character to make it onto the roster. Now, at the very least, you also have Chrom on there, which makes her inclusion more workable as you have a main character there with her, but then that seems to be over representation of both Awakening and Fire Emblem as a whole. And then I'd also have to wonder where Robin is in all this.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Guys, Brash the Bear would be a more interesting Donkey Kong newcomer than K. Rool or Dixie. He can knock over trees by pounding his fists, he can run really fast while being chased by a swarm of bees, and can even hurt opponents' feelings by boasting about his Riverside Race record. Much better than shooting things or hitting things...K. Rool or Dixie do anything more than that? Pfft. Brash the Bear 2014. Sakurai could do it.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I believe I've said this before, but I really don't think Lucina is important enough as a character to make it onto the roster. Now, at the very least, you also have Chrom on there, which makes her inclusion more workable as you have a main character there with her, but then that seems to be over representation of both Awakening and Fire Emblem as a whole. And then I'd also have to wonder where Robin is in all this.
Chrom isn't the main character, Robin is. Lucina may have a lot less of a chance as Chrom, but they're both really popular so I don't see why they can't both be in the game.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Firstly, why.
Secondly, Link was in Soulcalibur 2, Nightmare has a debt to repay. :p
Thirdly, no. :troll:
With how much popularity Roy has,being the 2nd most wanted character worldwide and was planned to reappear , I think Sakurai will at least try to bring him back.

IIRC, didn't Sakurai say that characters that originated in Fighting Games won't be in Smash?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Guys, Brash the Bear would be a more interesting Donkey Kong newcomer than K. Rool or Dixie. He can knock over trees by pounding his fists, he can run really fast while being chased by a swarm of bees, and can even hurt opponents' feelings by boasting about his Riverside Race record. Much better than shooting things or hitting things...K. Rool or Dixie do anything more than that? Pfft. Brash the Bear 2014. Sakurai could do it.

My god. You're right. You are so right. All of our rosters are wrong.
I know it will happen too because no one wanted or expected it.

With how much popularity Roy has,being the 2nd most wanted character worldwide and was planned to reappear , I think Sakurai will at least try to bring him back.

IIRC, didn't Sakurai say that characters that originated in Fighting Games won't be in Smash?
Nightmare is the exception, because he has a debt to repay :p

Also, is Roy really the second most requested character?
Weird.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

"Very popular an important character with potential. PFFT! That's like adding an unknown character from one game with moves that I just made up."
Well, BKUPPA66 I simply can't debate you. You're analogies and arguments are just too logical.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Chrom isn't the main character, Robin is. Lucina may have a lot less of a chance as Chrom, but they're both really popular so I don't see why they can't both be in the game.
Well, I'll admit they are both very popular as Awakening characters, but since you seem to have the opinion that Robin is the main character, and considering Robin is also one of the most popular Awakening characters, that just makes me even more confused as to why you don't have him/her on your roster instead. In my opinion, at least, I'd think having Robin alone would be enough to represent Awakening, and would be easier to develop than two new Fire Emblem characters would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom